Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #1261
Lesley84
Earning My Ears

Suggestions...

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a cake from?? The more I look at these pictures of the cakes the more I want one. But, been reading that some places do better jobs than the other ones. We were thinking going to Chef Mickey, since we are going there the evening we arrive for dinner with the kids and thought it would be a good way to welcome the kids with the surprise... Anyone's thought welcome!

June 1990: off resort
June 1996: off resort
June 2010: off resort
October 2013: All Star Movies
February 2015: Undecided

Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #1262
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

I just called and talked to Pat at GF. I ordered a six inch vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream filling with a surfing Stitch theme to be delivered to our dinner at Ohana's on the 20th for my DS's 14th birthday celebration. Pat quoted me $66 for the cake. I didn't give her too many instruction details other than the theme. I thought I would just see how creative they will be with it. Hopefully this wasn't a bad idea! I'll post pictures when we get back.

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1263
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

I'd just look for regular-size cakes you like and then ask the chef to interpret them as mini cakes (they will not be as elaborate on a small scale but it will have the feel).

To order at the Contemporary you call the number in Post #2 and request the pastry chef's email. Then you send him the photo and description of what you want and he gets back to you with a price. Then you call the number again and place your order. They connect it with the info you sent the chef.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I will do exactly what you said...and I'll find some cakes that I like by browsing around.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #1264
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

One more probably silly question...

I saw on another thread, I think an old post, about a restaurant transferring unfinished cake back to a room for a family. This isn't something that's possible is it? We are eating at Chef Mickey's and after dinner are heading back to MK, so I don't want to lug a half-finished cake with us. This is why I was only going to order a mini cake...it was the only size I was sure would be fully eaten. So..Disney won't deliver it back to POR right? I know it's probably silly, but I would kick myself if I didn't ask.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #1265
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinemansWife View Post
A friends family and my family are meeting in DW in October. Our girls are going to be 3 while we're there. We are doing BBB the morning of and are going to CRT for lunch or dinner. We aren't overly thrilled with the Princess package - but still want to celebrate. Can we bring in our own cake at the time of the dinner? What bakery do you recommend?
The only place to pickup a cake at WDW is BoardWalk Bakery. But you could get that a "podium cake" by asking at the podium when you check in for CRT. There are also other options besides the princess cake at CRT, like the chocolate slipper dessert and pretty much any kind of mini cake or regular-sized cake you and the Contemporary's pastry team can dream up. See Post #2 for ordering info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley84 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a cake from?? The more I look at these pictures of the cakes the more I want one. But, been reading that some places do better jobs than the other ones. We were thinking going to Chef Mickey, since we are going there the evening we arrive for dinner with the kids and thought it would be a good way to welcome the kids with the surprise... Anyone's thought welcome!
I think you'll be in good hands with the Contemporary's pastry team for your meal at Chef Mickey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky33006 View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I will do exactly what you said...and I'll find some cakes that I like by browsing around.
Can't wait to see what you get!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #1266
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky33006 View Post
One more probably silly question...

I saw on another thread, I think an old post, about a restaurant transferring unfinished cake back to a room for a family. This isn't something that's possible is it? We are eating at Chef Mickey's and after dinner are heading back to MK, so I don't want to lug a half-finished cake with us. This is why I was only going to order a mini cake...it was the only size I was sure would be fully eaten. So..Disney won't deliver it back to POR right? I know it's probably silly, but I would kick myself if I didn't ask.
The only way I could imagine this ever happening is if you were staying at the Contemporary and got either an extremely generous restaurant CM or Bell Services to do it. Depending on how hardy your cake is, the leftovers might survive a few hours in a locker at the MK, but I like the mini cakes for their, uh, finishability!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #1267
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
The only way I could imagine this ever happening is if you were staying at the Contemporary and got either an extremely generous restaurant CM or Bell Services to do it. Depending on how hardy your cake is, the leftovers might survive a few hours in a locker at the MK, but I like the mini cakes for their, uh, finishability!
Thanks so much! I think I'll just go for a mini and not take a chance having to worry about it

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #1268
mittmee mouse
Mouseketeer

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Disney now for 2 birthdays. Tomorrow at crystal palace and Monday at akershus. Can I get the info to make the calls from here?

Also, what are my options for a small cake or special dessert tonight at 1900 park fare?

Tia!!!!!!

Conquered my first Disney Race: Princess Half February, 2012
Conquered my first (1/2) Marathon Weekend and Birthdays galore: January, 2013
Next trip: Tower of Terror 10 Miler and 5K with the girls: October 2013
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #1269
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittmee mouse View Post
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Disney now for 2 birthdays. Tomorrow at crystal palace and Monday at akershus. Can I get the info to make the calls from here?

Also, what are my options for a small cake or special dessert tonight at 1900 park fare?

Tia!!!!!!

For Akershus, call 407-560-6395. You may need to call a few times before someone picks up, but you still have enough time to order.

Disney's window for custom cakes is 48 hours, so I'm not sure the Contemporary will be able to help you out on a custom cake for tomorrow at Crystal Palace, but it never hurts to ask: 407-824-2955

You could try calling Grand Floridian Private Dining about a Cinderella Slipper dessert for 1900 Park Fare tonight, but again, it's well beyond the 48-hour deadline so they may turn you down: 407-824-1951 Maybe they'd be able to rustle up some chocolate-covered strawberries or a cookie plate or something.

At the very least, you can get a chocolate/chocolate or vanilla/vanilla cake by asking at the podium of any of these restaurants when you get there. They cost $21 and are supermarket caliber (not terrible, especially if you actually like supermarket cake like I do!).

Also, most places have a free birthday cupcake they can bring out if you ask. That might be the way to go at 1900 Park Fare tonight.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #1270
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

not sure about custom cakes, but they did a cinderella slipper for me on less than 24 hour notice as i didnt know about them beforehand and DD was thrilled.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #1271
lurkyloo

Oooh! That's very good to know!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1272
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
When I asked one of the pastry chefs there about it for my December trip, he said they weren't able to make deliveries to Be Our Guest at the time. It wouldn't hurt to ask, though.
Thank you!

2014 Old Key West 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 Dining Review http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1556109

2003 Wilderness Lodge
2000 All Star Movies 1998 Fort Wilderness Cabins
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #1273
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
I asked about a week ago and no options other than ordering a standard cake at the podium were available for BOG.
Thanks! We are thinking of going in October for our anniversary. Maybe by that time we will be able to get it.

2014 Old Key West 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 Dining Review http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1556109

2003 Wilderness Lodge
2000 All Star Movies 1998 Fort Wilderness Cabins
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #1274
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Gluten Free Cake?

Has anyone ever ordered a gluten free cake that was just GF and not the premade one that is egg, dairy, etc free as well? We will be in Disney in May with the kids but are hoping to do dinner at Le Cellier to celebrate our anniversary and I was hoping to order a cake we can both eat. I'm only wheat free nothing else and I've eaten enough dairy, egg, etc free to know that it just doesn't taste as good.

I haven't had cake in so long and as I usually would be eating sweets nonstop at Disney with being wheat free now that isn't likely to happen. Would love this as a special treat.

Any idea if this is an option or where I should start asking.

TIA

Heather
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #1275
amw
need a new tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Has anyone ever ordered a gluten free cake that was just GF and not the premade one that is egg, dairy, etc free as well? We will be in Disney in May with the kids but are hoping to do dinner at Le Cellier to celebrate our anniversary and I was hoping to order a cake we can both eat. I'm only wheat free nothing else and I've eaten enough dairy, egg, etc free to know that it just doesn't taste as good.

I haven't had cake in so long and as I usually would be eating sweets nonstop at Disney with being wheat free now that isn't likely to happen. Would love this as a special treat.

Any idea if this is an option or where I should start asking.

TIA

Heather
I'm not sure how to link it, but post 690 of this thread shows a gluten-free custom anniversary cake I ordered in the summer. It was from Chef Mickey's.

You can also order a cake from Babycakes to be delivered to the Disney restaurants. They offered a simple 6", 9", or 12" with a simple piped message on top. You would have to call them directly to arrange.

WDW, March 2015 - CSR
WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: