Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #1171
am12pm
Mouseketeer

Which Restaurant?

My twin boys will be turning 11 during our next visit to WDW in February. I currently have an ADR at Ohana for the evening of their actual birthday. However, after having read all of the threads I'm getting a little bit anxious about working with the GF bakery on the cake.

What do you all think? Should I keep the ADR and go ahead and work with GF bakery or change our ADR so I can work with Chef Brian at the Contemporary (The Wave is available on that evening)? My boys won't know the difference (or care for that matter) where we eat that night. We do like Ohana and haven't eaten there for a few years. We've never tried The Wave. I just want the best cake for a terrific surprise for them...

WDW 1984 offsite, DLR 1986 offsite, WDW 1989 CR,DLR 2000 DLH, WDW 2000 CSR, WDW 2007 CSR, WDW 2008 Poly, WDW 2009 Poly
WDW Oct/Nov 2012 WBC
WDW Feb/Mar 2013 WBC
WDW Oct 2013 Beach Club
WDW Oct/Nov 2013 WBC
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1172
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Our cake!

Just returned from another wonderfully magical trip! We had a delicious meal at California Grill followed by this great cake!

What: Mini-"wedding" cake
As Ordered: White fondant outside, edible snowflakes, chocolate cake and peanut butter cup filling
Cost: $50
Delivered to California Grill

Loved this cake and it was so good! I forgot to take a close up shot until after I had already cut into it, but it was beautiful. The people sitting next to us were in love with it too!

Last edited by NeverlandClub23; 12-18-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Let's try this again with Photobucket...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #1173
DisneyFanEmily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthompson476 View Post
DisneyFanEmily: I believe it was a 8 inch round. The pastry chef provided me with a list of options, so you can pick and choose what you want. This list seemed endless...Im sure you can find something you will love! No fondant was a requirement for me...I LOVE the taste of buttercreme so that was important...The chefs at the resort were a pleasure to work with!
That's great to hear. We don't like fondant ourselves. I know alot of people just pull it off but it's nice to see a cake can look like that without it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #1174
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Asked on the resort thread but thought I would try here too. Can I fit one of the custom cakes in the room fridge (whatever portion doesn't get eaten?) Also will they deliver the cake to our room first thing in the a.m.??

We're staying at the Contemporary if that makes any difference. TIA!!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #1175
flea1267
DIS Veteran

It is a tight squeeze - we had Mickey Head cake in July and we had to take out of the box to get refrigerator to close - the boxes generally speaking don't fit in the refrigerators

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #1176
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomNH View Post
That is adorable! I love the icicles on the outside of the cake, were they sugar?
Plastic! I love the cakes in your signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am12pm View Post
However, after having read all of the threads I'm getting a little bit anxious about working with the GF bakery on the cake.

What do you all think? Should I keep the ADR and go ahead and work with GF bakery or change our ADR so I can work with Chef Brian at the Contemporary (The Wave is available on that evening)? My boys won't know the difference (or care for that matter) where we eat that night. We do like Ohana and haven't eaten there for a few years. We've never tried The Wave. I just want the best cake for a terrific surprise for them...
Maybe you could try working with the GF first, and then if you really do have trouble communicating what you want, you could switch to The Wave. Not everyone has trouble with the GF—it might be a nonissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
Just returned from another wonderfully magical trip! We had a delicious meal at California Grill followed by this great cake!

Loved this cake and it was so good! I forgot to take a close up shot until after I had already cut into it, but it was beautiful. The people sitting next to us were in love with it too!
Adorable! I love the beads around the bottom and the snowflakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
Asked on the resort thread but thought I would try here too. Can I fit one of the custom cakes in the room fridge (whatever portion doesn't get eaten?) Also will they deliver the cake to our room first thing in the a.m.??
How big a cake are you getting? We've always been able to squeeze a 6-inch cake into the mini fridge. I think the bottom of our wedding cake had to stay with bell services, though, cuz it was 10 inches or more.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1177
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

I really liked the Haunted Mansion cake (I think the poster said it was an 8"). Hoping it fits - somehow. Even if they break it down into 2 'packages' -- another possiblity is just putting whatever cake is left in the fridge with no box? Not sure how good of an idea that is though as I know some fridges have a "smell" to them.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #1178
tinkandonaldfans
DIS Veteran

Ok so we just came back from our Christmas trip and started to think about our anniversary trip we have booked for September! thought about doing a illuminations boat trip and wondered whether a cake would be able to be delivered to the boat?

I wanted a replica of our top tier from our Disney escape wedding! The cake was too big to finish and would like to order something smaller( even the top tier seemed massive) is there anything in between a mini cake and a 6 inch?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2346010
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #1179
Soccer Princess
DIS Cast Member
you would never find me with the old hammer again!

Has anyone ordered a cake at AKL recently? I see they offer a Zebra cake, but is that pretty much my main option? We are having dinner at Jiko and I would like to order DH a birthday cake.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #1180
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandonaldfans View Post
Ok so we just came back from our Christmas trip and started to think about our anniversary trip we have booked for September! thought about doing a illuminations boat trip and wondered whether a cake would be able to be delivered to the boat?

I wanted a replica of our top tier from our Disney escape wedding! The cake was too big to finish and would like to order something smaller( even the top tier seemed massive) is there anything in between a mini cake and a 6 inch?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Yes! You can order a cake from the Yacht & Beach Club bakery for delivery to an IllumiNations cruise. There really isn't anything between the 2 sizes, but I have seen people order multiple mini cakes. One mini cake is perfect for 2 people, though.

Definitely mention that you had a Disney wedding and what you want to do when you call. They should be able to replicate an Escape cake pretty easily.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #1181
Lisa75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Princess View Post
Has anyone ordered a cake at AKL recently? I see they offer a Zebra cake, but is that pretty much my main option? We are having dinner at Jiko and I would like to order DH a birthday cake.
We had one delivered to Kidani on 12/8 for ds's 1st birthday. Ordered through private dining. Asked for safari mickey theme. The cake was vanilla with vanilla buttercream filling and icing. They did a great job they put an adorable edible image of safari mickey, white chocolate cut out giraffes, and molded chocolate animals around the sides. The cake was 6". The total was around $80 which included the 18 percent delivery fee. I will try to post a picture later on.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #1182
LekiaHall
Mouseketeer

Very disappointed with the cake I ordered and rec'd. Requested a fushia/bright purple cake for my daughter at our CRT lunch. Cake's icing was lavender and pale pink (I specifically asked for vivid and not pale colors). Cake was bitter and not good at all. Chef also misspelled my daughter's name wrong (I included the right info in my email and by phone). We ate maybe 3 bites of it. Glad I only bought a mini-cake for my daughter, but still found this the most disappointing of this extravagant day (CRT, BBB +MVMCP for 6). Definitely not worth the almost $50.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1183
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Plastic! I love the cakes in your signature!
Hmm, I would not have guessed plastic. That makes sense though.

Thank you. I am a hobby baker, and of course, Disney cakes are my favorite kind!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1184
bean bunny
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Is it possible to get the white chocolate Mickey and strawberries at WL? It's a tradition I've started our last few trips at YC that I'm hoping to continue. Can the concierge level staff help me since we are CL guests?

Upcoming Trips:
December 2011, January 2012, August 2012
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #1185
lurkyloo

You need to call Private Dining at WL to see what their selection of treats is at the moment. (You could call the Concierge, I guess, but they'll just call Private Dining).

If they say no, you can try calling the Contemporary to see if they'll deliver this to WL for you (since they deliver cakes to WL, I don't see why not). All phone numbers are in Post #2 of this thread.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: