Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #901
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShea View Post
Awww the pendant is so cute!

$500 for a cake though. WOW!
Thank you!! I can't wait to give it to her, it was hard telling her what to wear (so it wouldn't clash with her clothes), without giving away the secret!!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #902
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Definitely no miscommunication...when I spoke with her, I reiterated several times..."This is a MINI cake for TWO, like cupcake shaped like a tea cup." Then I mentioned the 10" wedding cake we had made at GF that was only $160..... She said because of the "details", it would probably run that much. I asked if she'd go ahead and push to the chef for an estimate, and she was very evasive like "It's not going to be much less, if any, because of the details". But I was very specific how small it was.
She's seriously off her rocker. I've met enough cake artists who don't let their cakes go for less than $1k (for a basic cake) and they'd never charge that much for a mini to cupcake sized cake. Most I've ever seen any of them ask is $150 for a mini...even a carved highly ornate mini. What's funny- by industry standards, the flowers on your wedding cake are more costly and difficult to produce than the ones on the mini cake. I just sooooo dislike working with Pat. I'll be interested to see what the chef has to say.

Not sure about your plans, but maybe see if the Chef Brian at the Contemporary can do something for you.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #903
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

$500 is far too much for the cake! We have gotten mini cakes from $40 and on something really ornate it was $130. We never get big cakes and there is only two of us and it would be a waste. Call elsewhere and ask for an estimate. Chef Brian is amazing!

Quote:
Okay, today I sent Pat an email with this picture,

and these specifics...

Good Morning Pat!!

I was hoping you could help me, my sister and I are having a reunion at Disney World (haven't seen each other for over 10 years!) and I've made reservations for us to have the Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea for October 27th at 2:00 pm. I've attached a picture of a mini-cake (or perhaps cupcake?) that I'd really like to have to celebrate the reunion. I've cut and pasted most of it, but you should get the general idea. This is specifics....

1. A mini tea-cup shaped cake or cupcake (something for the size of two)
2. Pastel colors.
3. Silver or gold tinkerbell stamp (or mickey if not available) around cup at baker's creative discreation.
4. Pastel flowers in cup.
5. Gold or silver platter with "Sister's are different flowers from the same garden" written on it.

Could you please see the attached jpg file to see if this is do-able, and give me a price quote?

Thank you so much!

Well, I called and talked to her later....and the price she quoted me.

Wait for it....

$500!!!!!!! I'm like "huh"? That's five HUNDRED? She says she'd have to show it to the chef, but that's what it would probably cost. I said "you realize this is a MINI cake for two, right?

Then I told her about my wedding cake, which the GF made for me and DH, that cost $160

Okay, is it just me, or is there something wrong with this "estimate"?

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #904
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:

From what I've seen custom-shaped cakes tend to get ridiculous quotes or outright "We can't do that" responses from the Disney bakeries. That's probably what's making that so crazy-expensive - the fact that you're wanting a non-standard base shape. If you asked for a regular mini-cake with tea-themed decor elements you'd most likely get a far more reasonable price.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #905
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

$500 for a cake????????????? Not even a full sized cake or a wedding cake?????????? What date is it - nope not April 1st.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #906
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
$500 for a cake????????????? Not even a full sized cake or a wedding cake?????????? What date is it - nope not April 1st.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #907
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Definitely no miscommunication...when I spoke with her, I reiterated several times..."This is a MINI cake for TWO, like cupcake shaped like a tea cup." Then I mentioned the 10" wedding cake we had made at GF that was only $160..... She said because of the "details", it would probably run that much. I asked if she'd go ahead and push to the chef for an estimate, and she was very evasive like "It's not going to be much less, if any, because of the details". But I was very specific how small it was.
I'd call her bluff and ask for an actual estimate from the pastry chef. I really think she quotes high to discourage people.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #908
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:

and these specifics...

Good Morning Pat!!

I was hoping you could help me, my sister and I are having a reunion at Disney World (haven't seen each other for over 10 years!) and I've made reservations for us to have the Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea for October 27th at 2:00 pm. I've attached a picture of a mini-cake (or perhaps cupcake?) that I'd really like to have to celebrate the reunion. I've cut and pasted most of it, but you should get the general idea. This is specifics....

1. A mini tea-cup shaped cake or cupcake (something for the size of two)
2. Pastel colors.
3. Silver or gold tinkerbell stamp (or mickey if not available) around cup at baker's creative discreation.
4. Pastel flowers in cup.
5. Gold or silver platter with "Sister's are different flowers from the same garden" written on it.

Could you please see the attached jpg file to see if this is do-able, and give me a price quote?

Thank you so much!

Well, I called and talked to her later....and the price she quoted me.

Wait for it....

$500!!!!!!! I'm like "huh"? That's five HUNDRED? She says she'd have to show it to the chef, but that's what it would probably cost. I said "you realize this is a MINI cake for two, right?

Then I told her about my wedding cake, which the GF made for me and DH, that cost $160

On my holy schnikes !!! Is it made of gold?! Lol jk

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #909
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Hi! So I am going to have a date night dinner with DH at the California Grill in December - during Wishes! We went there on our Honeymoon and it was special to us. Well, to celebrate "us" we are having a nice very grown up light meal out and I wanted to surprise my husband with a mini fondant cake. I saw the number to call on the first page for the Contemporary but I wanted to bounce this off of people before I called.

Well what I want to get is a mini fondant cake. I would like this kind of design...

....with a white chocolate Cinderella's castle or image of Cinderella's castle, on top, out front I am not too particular on that. I more just want to capture the idea of our honeymoon. Since we have had kids the focus usually isn't on "us" and I just want to make sure I do this right! Any tips or information or if this overly too much or whatever would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #910
jasmine31523
Mouseketeer

Birthday Cakes

Hi Guys,

I have been stalkign this thread for months. We are going on Oct 25-28 with a special birthdya dinner on Oct 27 at Chef Mickeys.I have already did a special order cake but do you think they will let Minnie Mouse bring it out
Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #911
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephorachick View Post
On my holy schnikes !!! Is it made of gold?! Lol jk
Oh, I forgot to mention I wanted gold leafing and encrusted with diamonds!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #912
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Hi! So I am going to have a date night dinner with DH at the California Grill in December - during Wishes! We went there on our Honeymoon and it was special to us. Well, to celebrate "us" we are having a nice very grown up light meal out and I wanted to surprise my husband with a mini fondant cake. I saw the number to call on the first page for the Contemporary but I wanted to bounce this off of people before I called.

Well what I want to get is a mini fondant cake. I would like this kind of design...

....with a white chocolate Cinderella's castle or image of Cinderella's castle, on top, out front I am not too particular on that. I more just want to capture the idea of our honeymoon. Since we have had kids the focus usually isn't on "us" and I just want to make sure I do this right! Any tips or information or if this overly too much or whatever would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh gosh, I remember with the hundreds of pictures I've seen on this thread there was a cake with fireworks on it!! I, personally, would get the white chocolate castle verses the propped up image...maybe the castle on top, and fireworks on the side of the cake? I bet it would look real pretty with a midnight blue fondant, so it would look more like a night image and the fireworks would pop better.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #913
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink

Oh gosh, I remember with the hundreds of pictures I've seen on this thread there was a cake with fireworks on it!! I, personally, would get the white chocolate castle verses the propped up image...maybe the castle on top, and fireworks on the side of the cake? I bet it would look real pretty with a midnight blue fondant, so it would look more like a night image and the fireworks would pop better.
I was thinking the same thing with the fondant. I think you are right about the castle, the dimension would be nice. Now, this is how it work, you call the number listed above, speak to a CM describe what you would like and then I can email them the design and get a quote from a pastry chef? I just want to make sure I do it right! Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #914
PrincessShea
Always planning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine31523 View Post
I have already did a special order cake but do you think they will let Minnie Mouse bring it out
I would say with 99.9% confidence the answer will be no. But you can always ask. I have never seen that happen. I'm sure it's too hard for the people in the costumes to hold a cake because of the limited vision they have in the costume and the lack of dexterity with the gloves.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #915
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I was thinking the same thing with the fondant. I think you are right about the castle, the dimension would be nice. Now, this is how it work, you call the number listed above, speak to a CM describe what you would like and then I can email them the design and get a quote from a pastry chef? I just want to make sure I do it right! Thanks
I had just googled Pat's email address for the Grand Floridian and sent her an email with a rough idea of what I wanted, and then followed up with a phone call when I didn't hear anything back. You are lucky, I heard Chef Brian is so much easier to work with. I'm not speaking for anyone, but maybe someone could pm you his email address, otherwise you will have to call the cake hotline and leave a message and wait for a response. If you're good at Photoshop, you might put a design together for an estimate.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: