Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #736
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

Quick question to all of those that have ordered cakes. I'm torn between getting an almond cake with bavarian and fresh strawberry filling or an orange cake with tropical mousse filling. Any feedback on these flavors?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #737
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeMichele View Post
Same thing happened to me with Pat...this would make me extremely leery to order another cake from her. Hopefully they will change their procedures of how they book cakes so that this doesn't happen to others. This year I went with Chef Brian and cannot wait to see our spooktacular haunted mansion cake that we'll be getting next month! Well, as long as we get it that is
Brian made our Haunted Mansion cake back in May '10 it was an AWESOME cake. Don't forget to take a picture!
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #738
sexyravenfan
Steamed Crabs, O's, and Natty Bohs

We are staying at POR and want to get a mini cake for my parents anniversary. Is the Anniversary Mickey and Minnie white chocolate characters available at the Boardwalk?

October 2012-POR
August 2010-POR
August 2008-POR
July 2005-POR
July 2002-POR
June 1998-DxL
June 1994-DxL
September 1990-FW

Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #739
andeesings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeMichele
Quick question to all of those that have ordered cakes. I'm torn between getting an almond cake with bavarian and fresh strawberry filling or an orange cake with tropical mousse filling. Any feedback on these flavors?
I started a thread about the orange cake on the wedding boards to find out the answer to this question! If you do a search for orange cake, it comes up! The brides are tasting all the time, so they're the ones I wanted to ask.

The consensus was that both the orange and almond cakes were delicious (some brides recommended the almond cake with specific fillings but I don't remember which ones), but that the Bavarian cream didn't have as much flavor as they wanted. Almost all the ones that posted there really liked the tropical mousse filling (it sounded too strange for my family when I ordered the cake!)

I personally went for the orange cake with an amaretto crunch filling and it was absolutely outstanding. Totally delicious. The web address for that thread is here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2978139
Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #740
moparop
DIS Veteran

Ok, I am working way backward on this, but this is how the Disney addict mind thinks!

My son will be turning 7 while we are at Disney next spring. I want to do some sort of special cake for him as this is a surprise and thus we won't be able to celebrate before he goes. Since my 180 days are approaching I want to book a cool restaurant to have his birthday dinner at knowing we can get a cool cake. I am thinking of something either with a Star Wars or a pirates/Captain Jack theme. Based on that, where would you make ADRs?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #741
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

I would go somewhere serviced by the Contemporary, Grand Floridian or the Yacht & Beach Club bakeries. Here's a list of those places:
  • Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower
  • Epcot: Le Cellier, Garden Grill & Coral Reef ONLY (call Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Club)
  • Fort Wilderness (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Magic Kingdom (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Polynesian Resort (call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian)
  • Wilderness Lodge (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Yacht & Beach Club & Villas
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #742
Ufgator27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamatoKandH View Post
Ok, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I did speak with Pat- once. That was when she said they don't do fondant on the mini cakes. I really want to get this ordered. We leave in 9 days!!!
Is working with Pat not the best choice? After seeing some comments here about cakes not showing, and how hard it is to talk with her...am I better off getting the cake somewhere else?? We're also dining at Portobello and Cape May Cafe- should I get a cake for one of those meals instead?
I understand. .... and even tho my last interaction was quite positive, there are too many worrisome anecdotes to ignore. My plan is to confirm and reconfirm and get name sof who is working on the night of the event and the night before, etc. I also got the name of the manager of the restaurant where cake will be served and told him I am working with Pat.... the more people who are aware and can help connect the dots, the better. And then...confirm again.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #743
Ufgator27
Earning My Ears

To be fair...Pat did give me a great help when she said that she could help keep the leftover cake overnight in the bakery fridge until our brunch at grand fla cafe the folowing morning....and suggest that the restaurant could give me to-go containers for my 14 guests to take cake home with them! ...

A very big help bc I was thinking, what am I going to do with all that leftover cake???? And... We are going to jellyrolls right after dinner and I didnt want to bring a big box of cake with us! So.... Kudos to her for offering and thinking of that solution!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #744
Ufgator27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeMichele View Post
So hard! I think it depends on the frosting flavor you go with. The almond/Bavarian combo would taste better with choc frosting and the orange/tropical would taste better with vanilla....all just my opinion of course!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #745
shadowryter
DISNEYHOLIC

2 down...1 to go:)

So yesterday I found myself e-mailing 3 separate pastry chefs. I recieved an answer within minutes from the Boardwalk bakery and the Yacht and Beach Club. Still waiting to hear from Chef Brian at the Contemporary. I sent a picture to the Y&B and Yvette was very helpful sending an image back to me of their customary 2 tiered mini anniversary cakes. She said she would switch up the colors. I asked for a simple Vanilla cake with dark chocolate mousse filling. The rest should be similiar to this:

Cost...$35 +tax. I gave her a CC# and when I actually called to order the cake I spoke to Yvette. Very nice to deal with.

Next was the Boardwalk and DD's birthday cake. After the problem with GF I really wanted to make this up to her. Jessi was great to deal with. I sent her an image of lurkyloo's creative cake and an image I made. She said there was no problem in creating what I wanted. This will be red velvet cake with cream cheese filling. Decorated like this:

Cost...$25 + tax and a CC# gaurantee.

I have not heard back from Chef Brian but it is still early. I asked for the same kind of cake...Chocolate cake with Chocolate mousse filling decorated for Halloween in purple and orange with a little black Mickey ears witches hat on the top. Can't wait to hear from him. So far so good.

Thanks for your help lurkyloo.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #746
Jenny1985
Mouseketeer

When I ordered our cake through Pat for our trip last month. She did screw up our filling flavor. I corrected her and she said she fixed it but it was still wrong when we got our cake. HOWEVER… what we did get was delicious so I didn't mind the mix up at all. I asked for a little mermaid theme, which they did an awesome job. All names were spelled correctly etc. So all in all, I would say I had a pretty positive experience.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #747
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowryter View Post
So yesterday I found myself e-mailing 3 separate pastry chefs. I recieved an answer within minutes from the Boardwalk bakery and the Yacht and Beach Club. Still waiting to hear from Chef Brian at the Contemporary.
Yay! I can't wait to see these cakes!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #748
shadowryter
DISNEYHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Yay! I can't wait to see these cakes!
Just a little note...when I called Boardwalk PD it said the number 2393 was no longer in service and gave me a new number 5175 which did work. Said something about a transistion???
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #749
lurkyloo

Ooh! Thanks for the tip! I've updated the first post.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #750
Ufgator27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1985 View Post
When I ordered our cake through Pat for our trip last month. She did screw up our filling flavor. I corrected her and she said she fixed it but it was still wrong when we got our cake. HOWEVER… what we did get was delicious so I didn't mind the mix up at all. I asked for a little mermaid theme, which they did an awesome job. All names were spelled correctly etc. So all in all, I would say I had a pretty positive experience.
glad it turned out well!

I have to say that right now, after all the back and forth...if so much as 1 thing with this cake doesn't go as planned... well, it will take a LOT of pixie dust for me not to lose it!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: