Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #691
twinmom2bg2
Earning My Ears

Hoping to get some advice/suggestions. We are leaving for Disney September 20th which is my boy/girl twins 8th birthday. We have dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon that night - there will be 12 people in our party. What would you suggest to get as a cake? I am not sure if I should do individual cakes or just a larger cake with both names on it which they wouldnt mind having the same cake.

This is all of our first time going to Disney - there are 4 moms and 5 kids (I am the only lucky one to have twins haha) the other 3 people is my sister, brother in law and neice but they are only going to be there the 20th then going home since they are arriving 4days before us. All of the Disney stuff is overwhelming, I am sure we are going to have a blast but no one has experience at WDW.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #692
tinktinktink
Mouseketeer

For boy girl twins a fab 5 cake would be cool! Unisex and after all it all started with the mouse!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #693
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom2bg2 View Post
Hoping to get some advice/suggestions. We are leaving for Disney September 20th which is my boy/girl twins 8th birthday. We have dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon that night - there will be 12 people in our party. What would you suggest to get as a cake? I am not sure if I should do individual cakes or just a larger cake with both names on it which they wouldnt mind having the same cake.

This is all of our first time going to Disney - there are 4 moms and 5 kids (I am the only lucky one to have twins haha) the other 3 people is my sister, brother in law and neice but they are only going to be there the 20th then going home since they are arriving 4days before us. All of the Disney stuff is overwhelming, I am sure we are going to have a blast but no one has experience at WDW.
Boy/girl twins at Whispering Canyon - how about Woody and Jessie?
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #694
andeesings
Mouseketeer

The BEST CAKE EVER!!!

Chef Brian-- SUPERSTAR!!!!!!

My brother was asking his fiance to marry him in the train on the way down to our giant family trip to the Dis!!! They'd been dating 8 years, we knew she was going to say yes, so I decided to order a cake!!! Here are the specs:

Price- $147
Date Receive- 8/29/12
Location- California Grill, Contemporary
Flavors- Orange Cake with Amaretto Crunch filling (THIS WAS SO AMAZING)
Special requests- I asked for white fondant, the silver Mickey wave, and pink flowers (Bride's fave color). I wanted something "bride & groomy" for an engagement, but NOT the Mickey bride & groom, which I thought was inappropriate.
The cake was 8 inches (we were on the DxDP and even though we had 13 ppl, I knew we didn't need a ten inch cake!!!)- It was ALSO my brother's birthday. The cake came out better than I EVER DREAMED, and the taste was PHENOMENAL.

(Mickey) Hats off to you, Chef Brian!!! We just loved it.

Last edited by andeesings; 09-05-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: My picture is a question mark! It's not working!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #695
ppony
Artist in residence

Just for an idea, I drew up these simple designs for a fondant cake and had Chef Brian give me a quote. $200 for the single layer and $450 for the double. I was planning on a LOT of differing colors of fondant. My directives were "color color color". I drew these up for our Jan. trip but decided to do them on our trip next month. I think.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #696
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
Boy/girl twins at Whispering Canyon - how about Woody and Jessie?
Great idea! Or Mickey and Minnie? ...Donald and Daisy? ... Lilo and Stitch?

Wow there are so many possibilities lol, but I would definitely go with one larger cake vs. two small cakes. It will be less expensive, and you should be able to get something plenty big enough for everyone to share. The only reason I would make an exception and go with two cakes is if the birthday kids really don't like the same flavor cake. In that case I'd spring for two cakes.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #697
Ufgator27
Earning My Ears

Hi All! I am planning a party for my sister's 40th birthday at Citrico's Chef's Table. We will be 10 ladies drinking and having a great time with plans for Jellyrolls afterwards. i.e., I want it to be an awesome cake - but we aren't really going to eat that much!

Based on lots of research done on this site, I drew up a sketch of what I wanted and have been emailing with the infamous Pat at the Grand Floridian. The quote for the original design was 400. I decided that was too much - they agreed that they could do a similar design on a 1 tier for about 190. I said ok.

My question is about advice for dealing with Pat. She is friendly but she doesn't get the rave reviews that Chef Brian does and I've actually seen some negative anecdotes. When she outlined my filling choices, she didn't outline all that are listed on this and so many other sites. She listed choc/vanilla buttercream or strawberry / rasberry mousse. That's it. I want the custard with strawberries or one of the other exotic ones.

So - am I missing something? Am i just looking for something to go wrong? Any suggestions? If our dinner is at Citrico's - I don't think I have many choices! Any hints / suggestions / etc. welcome! thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #698
Janis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Just for an idea, I drew up these simple designs for a fondant cake and had Chef Brian give me a quote. $200 for the single layer and $450 for the double. I was planning on a LOT of differing colors of fondant. My directives were "color color color". I drew these up for our Jan. trip but decided to do them on our trip next month. I think.

That cake is going to be awesome!!! Please post pics when you get back!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #699
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufgator27 View Post
My question is about advice for dealing with Pat. She is friendly but she doesn't get the rave reviews that Chef Brian does and I've actually seen some negative anecdotes. When she outlined my filling choices, she didn't outline all that are listed on this and so many other sites. She listed choc/vanilla buttercream or strawberry / rasberry mousse. That's it. I want the custard with strawberries or one of the other exotic ones.

So - am I missing something? Am i just looking for something to go wrong? Any suggestions? If our dinner is at Citrico's - I don't think I have many choices! Any hints / suggestions / etc. welcome! thanks!
I think the trick with the flavors is to ask for something specific. The Grand Floridian Bakery does almost all the wedding cakes on property in almost any flavor combo you can think of. But when you call private dining they never offer any of these up as suggestions—maybe because most people are happy with the limited chocolate, vanilla or fruit choices... Go through the list in the first post of this thread or brainstorm whatever combo you want, and then just tell Pat that's what you want and see what she says. For what you're spending, it shouldn't be a burden for the bakery to whip up a less common mousse and/or cake flavor.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #700
CrunchyMamatoKandH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi All! I am planning a party for my sister's 40th birthday at Citrico's Chef's Table. We will be 10 ladies drinking and having a great time with plans for Jellyrolls afterwards. i.e., I want it to be an awesome cake - but we aren't really going to eat that much!

Based on lots of research done on this site, I drew up a sketch of what I wanted and have been emailing with the infamous Pat at the Grand Floridian. The quote for the original design was 400. I decided that was too much - they agreed that they could do a similar design on a 1 tier for about 190. I said ok.

I'm interested to see replies about this. I have been playing phone tag with Pat for about 5 days now. I want a two tier mini cake with a Sleeping Beauty theme. She suggested the stand up image on chocolate. Not at all what I want. But I can't get in touch with her to discuss it!!

On a side note, are the mini two tier cakes really only 3" big?? That's a lot smaller than I thought. Is the bottom layer 3" or the top one??
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #701
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

We have dealt with Pat twice when planning private dinners at the Grand Floridian. We did our communications by email. I suggest asking Grand Floridian private dining if they could give you Pat's email address, it's worth at least asking.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #702
AimeeMichele
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamatoKandH View Post
I'm interested to see replies about this. I have been playing phone tag with Pat for about 5 days now. I want a two tier mini cake with a Sleeping Beauty theme. She suggested the stand up image on chocolate. Not at all what I want. But I can't get in touch with her to discuss it!!

On a side note, are the mini two tier cakes really only 3" big?? That's a lot smaller than I thought. Is the bottom layer 3" or the top one??
Try calling her later in the evening. Last time I worked with her over email and over the phone the only times I was able to speak with her was late at night 7-8pm my time 8-9pm Eastern.

Also, keep your email correspondence with you and reconfirm with her the date and time you want your cake. She dropped the ball on our cake and had it down for the wrong day, however the chef at the Poly brought us a super cute screen print of Lilo and Stich (nothing like the cake I ordered, however at least there was a cake) after she heard what happened and pulled me aside to talk with me. Good luck! This year I'm dealing with Chef Brian....not chancing it again with Pat this time
Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #703
cupcakefairy2u
Its just me the cupcake fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha_PA View Post
This is the cake we ordered for our kids birthdays this past March. I've been meaning to post if for several months now. We asked for a Test Track themed cake since its my kids favorite ride. The cake was wonderful!

Thanks for sharing this is so cute.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #704
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:

I booked my friend's cake with Pat. She tried to limit me to the basic flavors and I told her no...that it had to be a lemon cake...and that I knew this was a cake flavor they could do, even it wasn't the standard. And in the end- we got a lemon cake.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #705
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
I'm trying to decide if I should get a standard podium cake for my daughter's 5th birthday at the Wave, or a custom cake. There will only be 5 of us. Her favorite princess right now is Merida (she's getting a Merida dress for her birthday). Has anyone had a Merida/Brave themed cake done? How about cakes from the Contemporary? A few years ago I ordered a custom cake from the Grand and it was fantastic - worth every penny!
I haven't seen a Merida cake, but I have a few base ideas for a cake.

The two Merida costumes use a Celtic Knot (a variation of a dragon knot) in the decorative hem pattern. That pattern would translate very well on the side of the cake. i.e. a lighter blue cake the color of the formal dress, large scale dragon knot pattern in gold going around full outer border of the cake, maybe a gold rope accented by wildflowers at the base, and while I don't love 2D standups...since it's the only option...maybe 2d standups on white chocolate of Merida w/the three bear cubs surrounded by more wildflowers.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: