Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #421
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky0615 View Post
Just returned back from a wonderful vacation which was made even more wonderful by Chef Brian as he did a fantastic job on a cake my sister ordered for her son, my nephew.

The cake was pirate themed, with pictures from the first couple days of our vacation on the cake.
Wow! Do you have a shot of the inside of the cake? I'm curious to see what cookies 'n' cream filling looks like!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #422
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Wow! Do you have a shot of the inside of the cake? I'm curious to see what cookies 'n' cream filling looks like!
To heck with what it looked like I want to know how it tasted!! I'm practically drooling just thinking about it.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #423
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Who does cakes at the Hoop Dee Doo? Can they do peanut free?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #424
lurkyloo

The Contemporary Bakery makes the cakes (see Post 2). The standard allergy-free cake is made in a facility that processes tree nuts, peanuts and soybeans, though, so you'd have to call and ask if there are any other options. (Phone number is in Post 2.)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #425
ambgoph
Mouseketeer

I just called the cake hotline and after going through the various prompts, spoke with someone about ordering a 2 tier mini wedding cake for our dinner at Kouzzina in Aug. I wasn't asked about any colors or design, nor was there any mention of why I was ordering it. He took down my name and reservation time as well as my credit card number. I'm getting a chocolate cake with raspberry mousse and fresh raspberries for $25. I asked if there was a confirmation number for the order and he said no, he was faxing the order to the bakery after the call. The entire phone call seemed very odd. Does this seem right?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #426
Ducky0615
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Not the greatest, we were too busy trying to eat it! I must say we weren't too sure about the flavor combination but it was delicious.

And I was corrected this morning by my sister, the cake was 12 inches.

June 1999 - Yacht Club
June 2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
June 2012 - Yacht Club (Round 2)
December 2013 - Africa??!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #427
KSBelle77
Mouseketeer

I was just wondering how much reference material I should send the pastry chef. I have a few months before I should make contact. But I am starting law school next month and want to make sure I have all my materials together before starting this process. I have a hand drawn sketch and am working on a color version on my computer. I don't think they have ever done a cake like the one I am wanting.
This is a cross between the wine and dine 1/2 marathon website logo/ beauty and the beast/ and the wine and dine t-shirt design this year.
2012 - 1st Half Marathon, Disney Princess
2012 - Birthday trip and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
2013 - 1st Disney Marathon
2013 - 1st Trip to Disneyland, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Dumbo Dare Challenge
2015 - 1st Dopey Challenge, 2nd Disney Marathon
2015 - Law School Graduation, KS Bar Exam
2015 - 1st Disney Cruise, Fantasy
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #428
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

I'm starting to work on the plans for my DHs Birthday dinner at Cali Grill. His DD will be bringing her family of 4, and our 3 make 7. I think a cake would be lovely, but I must confess that these threads make me a bit nervous.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for why one cake order ends up amazing, and another looks like a grocery store cake. How can I make sure that if I plan and pay for a cake that it IS nice? I'd almost rather skip the whole thing than to end up with a bad surprise.

I've looked throught the cake gallery, but am really indecisive about what to order. He will be 67, so playful is good - child-like is not. I'm not seeing much Donald, but that his favorite character. He like Toy Story, Test-Track , the Haunted Mansion and the Epcot World Showcase. I like some of the Haunted Mansion cakes, but then it looks like there were a few not-so-much results. Also, still confused about size v. types and what makes the most sense for our party. Help!
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #429
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambgoph View Post
I just called the cake hotline and after going through the various prompts, spoke with someone about ordering a 2 tier mini wedding cake for our dinner at Kouzzina in Aug. I wasn't asked about any colors or design, nor was there any mention of why I was ordering it. He took down my name and reservation time as well as my credit card number. I'm getting a chocolate cake with raspberry mousse and fresh raspberries for $25. I asked if there was a confirmation number for the order and he said no, he was faxing the order to the bakery after the call. The entire phone call seemed very odd. Does this seem right?
The lack of confirmation number is normal, and they almost never ask you about decor—you have to volunteer the info yourself. I think because you asked for a mini "wedding cake" they think you want the standard design with white frosting and dots, a variation on this:

So if you want something different, be sure to call back and specify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky0615 View Post
Not the greatest, we were too busy trying to eat it! I must say we weren't too sure about the flavor combination but it was delicious.
Thanks for the pic! It looks tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBelle77 View Post
I was just wondering how much reference material I should send the pastry chef. ... I have a hand drawn sketch and am working on a color version on my computer. I don't think they have ever done a cake like the one I am wanting.
Sounds like plenty of reference to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for why one cake order ends up amazing, and another looks like a grocery store cake. How can I make sure that if I plan and pay for a cake that it IS nice? I'd almost rather skip the whole thing than to end up with a bad surprise.
The secret is to order a fondant-covered cake, and those are only available at certain places on property (see Post #1). Otherwise, you get the typical piped frosting and flowers seen on grocery store cakes.

Among the places that make fondant-covered cakes, I've heard very few complaints about the Contemporary bakery, so I think you'll be in good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
Also, still confused about size v. types and what makes the most sense for our party. Help!
Check out the FAQ in Post #1. It contains a list of the different sizes and the number of people they will feed.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #430
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The secret is to order a fondant-covered cake, and those are only available at certain places on property (see Post #1). Otherwise, you get the typical piped frosting and flowers seen on grocery store cakes.

Among the places that make fondant-covered cakes, I've heard very few complaints about the Contemporary bakery, so I think you'll be in good hands.

Check out the FAQ in Post #1. It contains a list of the different sizes and the number of people they will feed.

Thanks much for the info about the fondant cakes! I'll look again at post #1 - I looked through it, but must have missed how you *know* what you are going to get....
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #431
Janis
DIS Veteran

Just saw this cake on the Cake Wrecks "Sunday Sweets" blog page. It was made at the Grand Floridian. Amazing!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #432
nym4588
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
I love this cake, it's so beautiful! Which bakery did this come from?

Thank you! It was done by Chef Brian at the Contemporary. I sent him a sketch and this is what was delivered. It was delicious and I could not have been happier!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #433
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Ducky0615;45383754]Just returned back from a wonderful vacation which was made even more wonderful by Chef Brian as he did a fantastic job on a cake my sister ordered for her son, my nephew.

The cake was pirate themed, with pictures from the first couple days of our vacation on the cake.

10 inch cake
Marbled cake
Butter cream icing
Cookies and Cream filling
Cost $125

This cake is AMAZING not sure if you read my post but im struggling on finding a way to celebrate my disney wedding anniversary my sone bday "my twins bday as they have never had one at Disney! where as its our other sons bday on our 1st day) and a way to say Thanks to my family for being amazing through my illness!

I think a cake themed to Halloween or something thats our favourite with family pics of bday wedding etc would be a way of celebrating them all

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #434
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Just saw this cake on the Cake Wrecks "Sunday Sweets" blog page. It was made at the Grand Floridian. Amazing!

I've never seen that one Janis!! Very different!!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #435
katieam1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wanted to share the info on Disney's standard allergen-free (and vegan) cakes, available at any Disney restaurant on property with a week's notice.

Allergen-Free Cake Details
  • Price: $29.00
  • Can be personalized with up to 3 words
  • Cannot have an image added
  • A list of allergies is required with the order

Ingredients

CHOCOLATE CAKE for Guests with Food Allergies (Vegan)
Chocolate mix (organic evaporated cane juice, sweet brown rice flour,*tapioca flour, Dutch cocoa, arrowroot flour, rice milk powder, baking*soda, salt, cream of tartar and xanthan gum), vegetable oil, water,*egg replacer (potato starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening [calcium*lactate (not derived from dairy), calcium carbonate, citric acid],*sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose);*chocolate*icing (shortening [palm oil], 10X sugar [sugar, cornstarch], Dutch*cocoa [cocoa powder, alkali], vanilla extract [vanilla bean extractives*in water, alcohol (35%) and sugar], rice milk [filtered water, brown*rice (partially milled), expeller-pressed high oleic safflower oil*and/or sunflower oil and/or canola oil, sea salt), baking powder*(monocalcium phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstach).

PROCESSED IN A FACILITY USING TREE NUTS, SOYBEAN & PEANUTS;*NO GLUTEN ADDED

VANILLA CAKE for Guests with Food Allergies (Vegan)
Vanilla cake mix (evaporated cane juice, sweet rice flour, tapioca*flour, arrowroot flour, rice milk powder, baking soda, cream of*tartar, salt, ground vanilla bean and xanthan gum), vanilla*icing (shortening [palm oil], 10X sugar [sugar, cornstarch], vanilla*extract [vanilla bean extractives in water, alcohol (35%) and*sugar], rice milk (filtered water, brown rice [partially milled], expeller-pressed high oleic safflower oil and/or sunflower oil and/or canola*oil, sea salt), water, canola oil, egg replacer (potato starch,*tapioca starch flour, leavening [calcium lactate (not derived from*dairy), calcium carbonate, citric acid], apple sauce (apples, water,*erythorbic acid), baking powder (monocalcium phosphate, bicarbonate of*soda, cornstach).

PROCESSED IN A FACILITY USING TREE NUTS, PEANUTS, SOY & WHEAT; NO*GLUTEN ADDED
Thank you so much for posting!! I myself have egg allergies so this was a huge question for me.
My family: DH (Dan 35), Me (Katie 30), dd (Shelby 7), & dd(Madilynne 6) Baby #3 due 8/2/14

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: