Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #361
princessreilly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I've never used them, so you'd have to call and find out, but it seems like most bakeries deliver. I don't think I'd pay $85 for a plain 6-inch cake with a white chocolate cutout on top.
It doesn't seem that anyone at Disney can do a shaped cake. I called Sprinkle cakes and they gave me a price of $262 for the cake I wanted. I guess I will just go with another cake.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #362
nannye
DIS Veteran

Omg, just ordered V's Pink Cinderella cake from Grand Floridian and I think that was the most stressfull thing about planning this entire trip lol. Trying to explain/get what I wanted to the very nice girl on the phone. We started at $51 then she said oh well for what you are asking we should go fondant that brought it to $66. Then when she realized it was for a 5 year old, we went down to $51, when I said i was bringing my own cinderella for the top it brought the order down to $21. Ahhhhhhh. Well, i said, I don't want the podium cake. I'm bringing the topper just because I like it better than the 2 dimensional stand up ones and I don't want screen print image. but I do want it decorated as a Cinderella cake, I'll just bring the cinderella for the top. I saw a picture of a cake you did and it had drapping or swags on the top with bows.... Back up to $51

I think this poor girl couldn't wait to get me off the phone. I was trying to be nice, but wasn't getting much to go on. When I call to confirm the cake a few days before we leave, I'll try and go over the whole order and add/clarify what we want.

I am seriously considering just calling and changing it to fondant, I feel like we may get a nicer cake that way.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #363
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessreilly View Post
It doesn't seem that anyone at Disney can do a shaped cake. I called Sprinkle cakes and they gave me a price of $262 for the cake I wanted. I guess I will just go with another cake.
Unfortunately, most bakeries charge a premium for anything beyond a round or square (some even charge more for a square)...and sculpting or really unique things have base prices starting above that. It's this mark up that got me into doing cakes as a hobby. In any event...

I don't know if you'd be able to drive off site to pick up a cake, but my mother (who lives in FL) informed me that their Publix does some more unique shaped cakes. While we don't have Publix here TX, my fave grocery store (Kroger) does some more unique things without the mark up. I think I paid under $30 for a dragon shaped cake a couple of years ago. So...If you can get offsite to pick it up, it might be worth a call to the Publix closest to WDW to see if they offer any kind of shark cakes...that are shark shaped. It would definitely be more economical and it would probably taste great too.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #364
nannye
DIS Veteran

You know after giving it some thought, I think it was Pat that I talked to. She said her name and I thought she said Pat but I wasn't 100% sure. Does Pat have a young sounding voice?

She also said she would recommend the chocolate mousse over the butter cream and the 2D printed stand up images are really nice and i am second guessing myself completely wondering if I should go Mousse and 2D images.

Also she Did not take my credit card number, just said that the cake would be on my bill that day.

Ahhh don't know what to do.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Last edited by nannye; 06-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #365
princessreilly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
Unfortunately, most bakeries charge a premium for anything beyond a round or square (some even charge more for a square)...and sculpting or really unique things have base prices starting above that. It's this mark up that got me into doing cakes as a hobby. In any event...

I don't know if you'd be able to drive off site to pick up a cake, but my mother (who lives in FL) informed me that their Publix does some more unique shaped cakes. While we don't have Publix here TX, my fave grocery store (Kroger) does some more unique things without the mark up. I think I paid under $30 for a dragon shaped cake a couple of years ago. So...If you can get offsite to pick it up, it might be worth a call to the Publix closest to WDW to see if they offer any kind of shark cakes...that are shark shaped. It would definitely be more economical and it would probably taste great too.
Thanks for that info! Unfortunately I called them this morning and they said they do not carve cakes. They said that they do have cakes that are 3d like Princess and Harry Potter, but no shark cake. Thought it might be helpful for some others on here to know. I'm trying to get in touch with Brian to see if he would rather do the 2d shark image on cake or if he thinks a pirate themed or haunted mansion would be better. I'm getting nervous because we leave tomorrow. The cake order process has been long!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #366
FLChell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
You know after giving it some thought, I think it was Pat that I talked to. She said her name and I thought she said Pat but I wasn't 100% sure. Does Pat have a young sounding voice?

She also said she would recommend the chocolate mousse over the butter cream and the 2D printed stand up images are really nice and i am second guessing myself completely wondering if I should go Mousse and 2D images.

Also she Did not take my credit card number, just said that the cake would be on my bill that day.

I didn't go backwards to find what exactly you were looking for in a cake but if I remember correctly it was Cinderella and you were wondering about the 2D images. Here is the one I had made some years back for my daughter.

Oh and the white chocolate mousse has always been amazing in the past however just recently I had the buttercream and it was sweet.

I have never before had the problems I did this time, I think it stems from having a themed request but wanting them to make minor changes to the theme like the marbled ganache which isn't normally on the pirate theme cake. We had never done one of these themed cakes before normally it was like pictured above the cake we like with a little added extra on top.

It was also the first time we had to give our credit card info before hand so it might have had to do with the more expensive cake.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #367
princessreilly
DIS Veteran

Just ordered my cake! Whew! I went with the haunted mansion one with Disney villians on top. I'll get it Thursday at Chef Mickey's. I hope he likes it. Wish me luck I'll try and post pictures when I get back.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #368
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post

IMHO, a figurine will almost always look better than a 2D image. I just don't think most 2D images are that nice. FLChell's was nicer than normal, because of the base. You could get a 3D, white chocolate Cinderella, if you don't mind the added expense. For the price of adding fondant & buying a figurine, you may be able to get the 3D Cinderella. If it were me & it was in the budget, I'd go that route. Just a though.

Quote:
Just ordered my cake! Whew! I went with the haunted mansion one with Disney villians on top. I'll get it Thursday at Chef Mickey's. I hope he likes it. Wish me luck I'll try and post pictures when I get back.
I'm glad you finally got it straightened out. I hope it's beautiful & delicious. Enjoy your trip.
(")_(")

Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #369
natter
Mouseketeer

SOOO EXCITED!! Ordered a "Stitch" themed surprise birthday cake today for my sons, and already can't wait to see the end results. I sent a sketch out to CakeMan Brian earlier in the week and received a reply first thing thismorning. We are going with an 8" chocolate cake with bavarian cream with fresh strawberries filling. YUM!!! He is going to put the painted white chocolate "Stitch" with grass skirt on top with some other beach/luau themed items (palm tree, surfboards). Going to be a LOOONG wait

Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #370
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
The HM cakes I've seen look AMAZING! I'm sure he'll LOVE it! I'm actually kind of jealous- I'd love to do a HM cake, but my kids are terrified of the ride. Definitely post pics when you get back!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #371
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
IMHO, a figurine will almost always look better than a 2D image. I just don't think most 2D images are that nice. FLChell's was nicer than normal, because of the base. You could get a 3D, white chocolate Cinderella, if you don't mind the added expense. For the price of adding fondant & buying a figurine, you may be able to get the 3D Cinderella. If it were me & it was in the budget, I'd go that route. Just a though.

I'm glad you finally got it straightened out. I hope it's beautiful & delicious. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks I think I am going to call and add the fondant. I'm actually not much of a fan of the white chocolate cincerella 3D either. No idea why. lol Not sure about the filling, but for the $15 for fondant It might give me more piece of mind. Of course something could happen to that cake too. Just with the horror stories I've heard. nervous!!!

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #372
4orm
Disney bride dreaming of buying DVC

Anyone know how much pirate decorations are? Like the treasure chest, doubloons, etc...
I was thinking of getting a mini 2 tier cake (if they'd do it) or 6" with some of those pirate decorations.

1981 - 1989 DL & DW many times*1997 - POFQ*2004 - GF & POR (married @ WDW)*2005 - AKL & BCV*2005 - CR, Poly & BWV (f&w)*2006 - DLH*2007 - DLRP*2007 - Dolphin*2008 Swan & WL (f&w)*2010 CR&Swan (DD 1st bday and f&w)*2011 Swan/SSR (DD 2nd bday and f&w)*2012 BLT, AKL, CSR for my pirate girl (DD 3rd bday and f&w)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #373
FLChell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orm View Post
Anyone know how much pirate decorations are? Like the treasure chest, doubloons, etc...
I was thinking of getting a mini 2 tier cake (if they'd do it) or 6" with some of those pirate decorations.
I got a 10 inch pirate theme from GF bakery cost me nearly 191 and change. It is pictured a page back I think. Had white choco. skull with a gummy worm coming out, a couple choco palm trees, a chest filled with lil coins all choco, a large pirate coin of white choco , a huge gum paste flower (that too me threw out of whack the rest of the theme flower and pirate don't go together in my mind), and a small treasure map of gum paste with the birthday banner as well in gum paste. Oh yes and there was small green leaves of fondant on it too.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #374
princessreilly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
The HM cakes I've seen look AMAZING! I'm sure he'll LOVE it! I'm actually kind of jealous- I'd love to do a HM cake, but my kids are terrified of the ride. Definitely post pics when you get back!
Thanks! I hope so! We will be there this Thursday. I will let you know how it goes. This replaces his party I had to cancel when my grandmother passed away so I really want him to be "wowed" by this cake.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #375
POLY1985
DIS Veteran

Here is what I posted a few weeks ago:
Just called and ordered a cake for my sons birthday in 3 weeks. Spoke with a very nice CM named Pat. Ordered a 6" vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream frosting. It will be covered in blue fondant with white clouds (Toy Story, Andy's Room wallpaper). I also asked for Toy Story characters on top. Cost $66 plus tax/gratuity. To be delivered to Kona at Poly. She also asked me to let her know how I liked it. I was very impressed with the service and what I was able to get for the price. I will post a pic when I return.

And as promised, here is the picture of the cake. It was gorgeous!!!! Not only that, but it tasted good too!

2014 Old Key West 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
2012 Wilderness Lodge
BELLE & THE 3 BEASTS JUNE 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post45239041
2007 Wilderness Lodge
August 2007 Dining Review http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1556109

2003 Wilderness Lodge
2000 All Star Movies 1998 Fort Wilderness Cabins
1993 Caribbean Beach 1985 Polynesian - Honeymoon1976/1979 Fort Wilderness campground
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: