Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #316
dimndgal1
One little spark...

And success! Cakes ordered, prices beyond reasonable... now to wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Two weeks?? Yikes. Maybe I should've started this a little earlier. The birthdays we're celebrating are all next week! I have a feeling we'll be skipping a Disney cake again this year. This was so much easier a few years ago!
I would still try if you are interested.
I put in my first phone call today and heard back from someone within 6 hours. The first person I spoke with was with Private Dining and took information and said I should hear from someone 'soon'. I totally expected it to be a day or two but I got a call around 6p tonight and another wonderful CM walked me through the process to make sure they got all the information they needed to make some magic.

Our event is three weeks out, but she was impressed I had called this far in advance.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon(?)
(me) (DH) (DD-6) (DD-Brand new!) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #317
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Disney's "mousse" filling is more like ganache than the light, fluffy stuff I associate with the term "mousse"... I prefer buttercream's texture and super-sweetness, but, honestly, I don't think a 5-year-old will know the difference.

No, you can have whatever kind you want with a custom cake. The GF's buttercream cakes look very nice, if closer to a supermarket cake than the fondant versions.

I'm with you on that one!
Thanks Lurky Loo, I think I'm going to go chocolate buttercream filling, V loves chocolate cake and I really don't like chocolate cake so it's a good balance I think.

Now if I could just figure out how I want the cake decorated

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #318
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Hi! Just a quick ? We are arriving on June 13th for a b'day trip for dd (turning 6)! Her actual b'day is June 14th and we have a BBB apt that am followed by Bkfst at CRT! I had thought about doing the birthday cake/pkg there, but that much sugar at bkfst (with pasteries/fruit, waffles. etc) is not that appetizing! Plus I did not want a sugar meltdown/letdown later on! So, I called GF yesterday about ordering the Slipper desert for our 1900 PF ressie for the night of the 14th! I had to leave a message, but I got a call back today! I gave our 1900 PF dining time and ressie # , the lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful, but should I call again just to check? I just don't want to be disappointed if it does not come! Thanks for any insight!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #319
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Hooray! Best of luck!
Just wanted to share that Pat at the GF called me back. She said she has a very nice Tinkerbell cake that they can make for my youngest DD's birthday. She mentioned that has green fondant with vines and flowers and they'll put a 3D white chocolate Tinkerbell as a topper. I wanted a 6" cake but she said it would have to be an 8" - no big deal I guess, just extra cake. What I really wanted to share was that I thought it was funny when I asked her if she had a picture of it that I could see and she told me to look on the DIS, because there was a lovely picture of what it looked like. If it's the one I'm thinking it is, it should be beautiful. Can't wait!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #320
noahdove
DIS Veteran

If you are eating in MK go to this email: magickingdomcakes@Disney.com.
Oncec you have emailed them, someone will get right back to you. Tell them what you are looking for and she will send you all the cake info as well as a form to fill out and submit Good luck and Happy cake

Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #321
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
If you are eating in MK go to this email: magickingdomcakes@Disney.com.
... for a standard cake. If you want a fancy, fondant covered cake, call Private Dining at the Contemporary Resort: 407-824-2955
Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #322
princessarielle
Red Heads Rock!!

Does Disney do just cupcakes?? I'm not talking the mammoth ones that are in the park but something basic with a cute design on them??
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #323
noahdove
DIS Veteran

lurkyloo, the form I filled out had fondant, screen print etc on it, so I would think that I would be able to order those as well. I was surprised at how many they had to offer. Great list, if I say soAs for cupcakes, the 2 times my little niece was given them as a surprise for her birthday they were just normal size cupcakes. Big enough for McKenna to love them..especially for breakfast

Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #324
nym4588
Mouseketeer

These cake threads are amazing! We will be spending my dad's birthday at the Magic Kingdom and after reading all of this, I've decided to order a a cake for him.

I have a question if there's anyone out there who might have an idea.... Before I decided on a cake, I planned dad's birthday lunch for The Crystal Palace. Once I knew I wanted a cake, I had to switch it to dinner (mainly because I don't want to have to drag this cake around the park all day). We wouldn't want to schedule dinner any later than 6:30-7pm and since CP only has 8:30pm availability, we are now having dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. This is definitely not my first choice. (I considered having dinner at Epcot instead but I really would like the cake to be made at the Contemporary).

Once I order the cake with LTT as the destination, would it be possible to change to CP if something happened to come up? I know it wouldn't work if it only a day or so in advance...but say something opens up at Crystal a 5-7 days before dad's birthday? Would I be able to switch restaurants?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #325
flagrandma
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I found this thread. It's so informative. I plan on ordering the chocolate slipper for my gdd in August at CRT.

May 2007 - Contemporary
August 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
August 2013 - Royal Pacific Resort (Universal)
Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #326
Tharris550
Earning My Ears

Cake Question

I'm going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter and I was wondering if I could order a cake off the Grand Floridian. I saw a cake that looked amazing in my view, but I'm unsure if the Board Walk Bakery could make it. Are both places really similair ?

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=110
Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #327
archdandy
DIS Veteran

I know that Pop Century has cakes delivered by the Boardwalk Bakery but does anybody know anything about Art of Animation? We are going down in October for my DH's birthday and I wanted to surprise him with a custom cake in the room.

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #328
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

I have a question about the six inch cakes. Is the Happy Birthday medallion made out of sugar? It looks exactly like one that we had a few years ago when we celebrated my sons 5th birthday at Epcot and it's exactly what I'm looking to get him again when we go in October.

TIA for your help.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #329
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym4588 View Post

Once I order the cake with LTT as the destination, would it be possible to change to CP if something happened to come up? I know it wouldn't work if it only a day or so in advance...but say something opens up at Crystal a 5-7 days before dad's birthday? Would I be able to switch restaurants?
This shouldn't be a problem because they're both in the MK, but I worry that they'd still screw up and deliver it to the wrong place. I'd wait to order the cake until you know which restaurant you'll be at. If you won't know until just a few days before, be sure to call and check a couple times after you've asked them to change the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharris550 View Post
I'm going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter and I was wondering if I could order a cake off the Grand Floridian. I saw a cake that looked amazing in my view, but I'm unsure if the Board Walk Bakery could make it. Are both places really similair ?
You have to be staying or dining at the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian to get a cake delivered there. The GF won't deliver a cake to Port Orleans French Quarter. If you're willing to make a reservation at the GF in order to get a cake made by them, I say go for it. It's the best way to ensure you get what you saw in the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdandy View Post
I know that Pop Century has cakes delivered by the Boardwalk Bakery but does anybody know anything about Art of Animation? We are going down in October for my DH's birthday and I wanted to surprise him with a custom cake in the room.
I'm researching this right now. AoA is not in the Cake Hotline's directory yet, and not all of its phone lines are hooked up, so I'm having to wait for someone to get back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNipRules View Post
I have a question about the six inch cakes. Is the Happy Birthday medallion made out of sugar?
It's made out of white chocolate.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #330
nym4588
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much, Lurkyloo!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: