Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #3271
lulu2
DIS Veteran

A question : I am looking for a small bday cake for my DH. Last fall he played the "cheese grater" in the Beauty and the Beast at the high school where he works. I would like to have a cake themed around this. I would like to order from the Boardwalk Bakery. Do you think this is possible?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #3272
Zim
Meow meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowryter View Post
I called the CR and asked for a special cake and was given the email to the Contemporary Bakery team. From there I emailed Chef Donald of what I wanted which was the Snow Flurry 2 tiered mini cake that Lurkyloo posted from this years wedding expo. It was easy but my mini will cost me $50 plus.
Thank you (both, LurkyLoo - you too!) I tried calling the resort direct and that CM sent me back to the disneymagicalcakes hotline. Then I googled the email for the Contemporary resorts cakes - I've sent an email there and hopefully it will be answered or directed to Chef Donald and NOT back to the main cakes hotline. Fingers crossed... I'm okay paying $50 for a special design, but I don't want to pay $35 for a cookie cutter design everyone gets. Beautiful cake by the way - that would be a perfect Frozen design with a little marzipan snowman on top!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #3273
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala View Post
We are headed back to the world in December and my DD will be a certified scuba diver getting to dive in the living seas at epcot this trip. I want to order her a special cake to celebrate but we are staying at AOA lion king suite this time and not one of the deluxe resorts. Can anyone tell me if a speciality cake can be made and delivered to our room there? And if so which bakery do I call? With all the changes I am confused.
I did the EPCOT Dive Quest and it was a blast. The best part was being able to interact with my parents on the other side of the glass. Sorry I don't have any info about cakes.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #3274
Zim
Meow meow

Yea! That other email address worked and I'm now communicating directly with Chef Donald now

Thanks so much guys for all the help... I'd given up as of yesterday and already let me DD know it wasn't happening. If I manage to pull this together won't THAT be a surprise when we're there!!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #3275
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala View Post
We are headed back to the world in December and my DD will be a certified scuba diver getting to dive in the living seas at epcot this trip. I want to order her a special cake to celebrate but we are staying at AOA lion king suite this time and not one of the deluxe resorts. Can anyone tell me if a speciality cake can be made and delivered to our room there? And if so which bakery do I call? With all the changes I am confused.
Yes. See Post #2 for information about Art of Animation, which is where you'd call to place the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu2 View Post
A question : I am looking for a small bday cake for my DH. Last fall he played the "cheese grater" in the Beauty and the Beast at the high school where he works. I would like to have a cake themed around this. I would like to order from the Boardwalk Bakery. Do you think this is possible?
Sure! I mean, they're probably not gonna create a mini cheese grater for you out of fondant, but maybe you could have little white chocolate "cheese curls" around the sides and a small fondant wheel of "cheese" on top?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #3276
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Our last morning we are going to have breakfast at Kona Cafe at a 7:30 ressie. I was hoping to order a Mickey Head cake for us to take home with us that day. Would I be able to order one to get at breakfast? It will be to celebrate two birthdays and our 20th anniversary but we aren't really going to be doing any other table meals the entire trip and we are staying at ASMu so I know we can't get one delivered there.

All Stars Music January 2014
Off site October 1999
Off site October 1996
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #3277
lurkyloo

You can have a cake delivered any time of day that the restaurant is open—they don't judge!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #3278
Dis703
DIS Veteran

So Disappointed

Well, despite assurances we were getting the same basic cake we got from the Contemporary bakery before, I find it extremely hard to believe the cake we got today was made by the same bakery. It was cute enough. Simple really but taste wise it was dry, didn't look or taste even remotely like what we had in the spring and the frosting was grainy, overly sweet and really to me just grocery store quality. I was so disappointed after being so blown away by the cakes Brian made us. The frosting they used last time was so perfect, super smooth and fluffy, sweet but not overly so, and the cake was still moist 4 days later.

If the cake we got today was our first Disney cake I would never feel compelled to order it again. As it is I don't know if I want to take a chance again. It was $43 plus tax and gratuity for a 2 layer Marble cake with vanilla buttercream topped with a lighted castle and flowers. This was also supposed to be a light that changed color but it was a simple white light.

The up side is my 5 year old who never eats cakes like this except at Disney because of his allergies was completely surprised and loved it. After he had a piece he came around the table to hug me and tell me how happy he was and thanked me for it. I'm glad he enjoyed it, I was just hoping I could too.

I'll post pics when we get home.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #3279
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
The up side is my 5 year old who never eats cakes like this except at Disney because of his allergies was completely surprised and loved it. After he had a piece he came around the table to hug me and tell me how happy he was and thanked me for it. I'm glad he enjoyed it, I was just hoping I could too.

Dang! I'm sure sorry to hear about your terrible cake experience at the Contemporary—I guess their golden age of cake is over… It's hard to understand how even the taste of the cake could suffer if they're using the same recipes and, presumably, the same techniques.

But I have to say, the part about your son's reaction was so sweet, you had me misting up!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #3280
MinnieM21
I've been to Disneyland a billion times but I don't even know what WDW looks like! (psst...there are tons of pictures of WDW on the Internet!)
Loves to ride Bud Light with her mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Well, despite assurances we were getting the same basic cake we got from the Contemporary bakery before, I find it extremely hard to believe the cake we got today was made by the same bakery. It was cute enough. Simple really but taste wise it was dry, didn't look or taste even remotely like what we had in the spring and the frosting was grainy, overly sweet and really to me just grocery store quality. I was so disappointed after being so blown away by the cakes Brian made us. The frosting they used last time was so perfect, super smooth and fluffy, sweet but not overly so, and the cake was still moist 4 days later.

If the cake we got today was our first Disney cake I would never feel compelled to order it again. As it is I don't know if I want to take a chance again. It was $43 plus tax and gratuity for a 2 layer Marble cake with vanilla buttercream topped with a lighted castle and flowers. This was also supposed to be a light that changed color but it was a simple white light.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. But I'm really happy to hear that your son enjoyed his cake.

I had bad experiences with both cakes I ordered from the CR at the end of September as well. Both were wrong. They forgot the fondant on one of them and the filling was wrong on the other one. They looked like they were decorated by someone learning to decorate cakes, the cakes were just so sloppy looking. It was so disappointing.

The frosting on my red velvet cake from the CR was also really grainy and sweet. And the red velvet tasted really really strange, not like red velvet at all.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3281
Zim
Meow meow

Eek gad, all these bad experiences with CR cakes! Now I'm hesitant to order the cake! I got through to Chef Donald, he can do the snow flake design like in the above photo but in the blue and purple shades like the Frozen movie posters. He did mention they only have white lights right now, but said he'd look for a blue one for a snowflake topper design.

I guess I just have to decide whether the special feel of the cake presentation at the restaurant will be worth it even if the cake itself is disappointing. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth anyway, but she basks in the light of special treatment.

If I end up ordering it I will definitely post the photos here! FOLLOW-UP: I went ahead and ordered, seems to be a flip of the coin whether people had bad cakes or delicious cakes, so I'll report back mid December when we get back - or heck with my iPad and jetpack, while we're there!

Last edited by Zim; 11-14-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #3282
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I'd hop on the phone ASAP. The pastry team is probably gone for the day, but Private Dining can look and see if your order's in the system.
no one answers that number- its a recording to send requests through the email
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #3283
SilentK
Mouseketeer

I just tried to call my order through but got the answer phone. I haven't left a message because I'm calling from the UK, plus my husband will be home shortly and I don't think I can disguise a cake order as a random call!

Does anyone know if they will be open on Saturday?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #3284
princessK30
Mouseketeer

(WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com)

Is this still the current email address for the contemporary? I emailed them 2 days ago and have gotten no response so far. Suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #3285
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
FOLLOW-UP: I went ahead and ordered, seems to be a flip of the coin whether people had bad cakes or delicious cakes, so I'll report back mid December when we get back - or heck with my iPad and jetpack, while we're there!
Thanks for being our guinea pig. <---- (pretend that doesn't have a tail... or an acorn...). I hope it turns out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
no one answers that number- its a recording to send requests through the email
You need to call Private Dining, not the Contemporary Cake Line. There's no direct line, unfortunately, but if you call the resort at 407-824-1000, they can transfer you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentK View Post
I just tried to call my order through but got the answer phone. I haven't left a message because I'm calling from the UK, plus my husband will be home shortly and I don't think I can disguise a cake order as a random call!

Does anyone know if they will be open on Saturday?
Which resort are we talking about? The bakers may only be there til early afternoon, but Private Dining is open 'round the clock, so follow the method above to talk to someone that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessK30 View Post
(WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com)

Is this still the current email address for the contemporary? I emailed them 2 days ago and have gotten no response so far. Suggestions? Thanks!!
Should be, but it can take up to a week to hear back. If you're in a rush, contact Private Dining via the number above and explain the situation.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: