Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #3226
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Hmm, should I be concerned?

I had a quote for a 3 on 5 inch tiered Marble cake with vanilla buttercream, topped with a lighted white chocolate castle and flowers for $120. More than I can justify spending for just me and my DS so I asked about doing a 6 inch instead. The quote for that came back at only$43?

I am going through the MK cake hotline email and when it came back so low I told her I'd like them to make it "gorgeous" by whatever decorative means they'd like, ie flowers, fondant decorations, etc. and I could go up to a budget of $70 for the extra decorations. I just specified I don't want a completely fondant covered cake. The person I was emailing said that was great and asked what to write to personalize it then came back with conformation for a $43 cake.

It just seems so cheap to me that I'm concerned its going to be very generic. For reference we got a 6 inch marble cake with fresh strawberries topped with a Cinderella slipper and flowers for $75 this spring. And it was stunning.

Would you contact the bakery to clarify or just wait and see what they make. Maybe I shouldn't have left it so open ended. I just didn't want to go back and forth pricing every little thing out and thought I should just have them do what they thought would be appropriate and make it pretty but don't go over my budget.

Just hoping for a bit of a wow factor like we had last time.

TIA

Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #3227
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Spoke with someone from AOA this morning and emailed my request for something close to the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake to have delivered to our room. I am excited to see what they can do.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #3228
Susiec
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa75 View Post
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. It makes
me nervous as we have DS 2d bday cake ordered for Chef Mickeys in January. Had you called the cake line to order after your emails with Donald? I know I emailed with Heather then had to call the number to order.
Yes I did and even had a confirmation number

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][ulr]
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #3229
Susiec
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. You can write to:

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

I would print a copy of the email and send it along with a letter. Make sure you include a phone number where they can reach you. They often call to make sure they have the details correct and to apologize.
Is there and email address

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][ulr]
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3230
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I had a quote for a 3 on 5 inch tiered Marble cake with vanilla buttercream, topped with a lighted white chocolate castle and flowers for $120. More than I can justify spending for just me and my DS so I asked about doing a 6 inch instead. The quote for that came back at only$43?

I am going through the MK cake hotline email and when it came back so low I told her I'd like them to make it "gorgeous" by whatever decorative means they'd like, ie flowers, fondant decorations, etc. and I could go up to a budget of $70 for the extra decorations. I just specified I don't want a completely fondant covered cake. The person I was emailing said that was great and asked what to write to personalize it then came back with conformation for a $43 cake.

It just seems so cheap to me that I'm concerned its going to be very generic. ...

Would you contact the bakery to clarify or just wait and see what they make. Maybe I shouldn't have left it so open ended.
I would bet dollars to donuts (cupcakes?) that the reason the price is so low is they're farming the cake out to the outside vendor and you'll get a generic buttercream cake with stuff stuck around it. Which might be beautiful—we won't really know til people start sharing pictures here. But if you want the Contemporary to make that cake, I think you'll have to put in more specific, complicated requests (and pay more).
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #3231
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Just received a quote of $70 to have a mini wedding cake made up like the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake. They are able to make the mini white chocolate Tinkerbell too! I am so excited and can't wait to see DD's face!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #3232
tan391
Earning My Ears

This is the pirate Mickey cake that we received for my sons 4th birthday. It was $47, delivered to Garden Grill on 10/27. It was chocolate cake with chocolate mousse / buttercream filling and was delicious. My little boy loved it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #3233
SilentK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ&JHsmom
Just received a quote of $70 to have a mini wedding cake made up like the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake. They are able to make the mini white chocolate Tinkerbell too! I am so excited and can't wait to see DD's face!
Really looking forward to seeing a pic
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #3234
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentK View Post
Really looking forward to seeing a pic
Cake is ordered for 11/25. I will post a pic when we return after 11/30.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #3235
princessK30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan391 View Post
This is the pirate Mickey cake that we received for my sons 4th birthday. It was $47, delivered to Garden Grill on 10/27. It was chocolate cake with chocolate mousse / buttercream filling and was delicious. My little boy loved it. [/URL][/IMG]
Do you have a pic? It didn't post, can't wait to see because this is the cake we are going to do!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #3236
stauncie
Mouseketeer

called to order a cake on Monday for a dinner Nov 17 at Chef Mickeys,
After confirming I want a custom cake, I was given an email address.
I am still waiting to hear back rom the email I sent I really want to know if they can create my cake.......How long should I wait before contacting again.?? We leave in 3 days.....
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #3237
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessK30 View Post
Do you have a pic? It didn't post, can't wait to see because this is the cake we are going to do!
I can see it. It's cute. Maybe, it's your browser.
(")_(")

Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #3238
princessK30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I can see it. It's cute. Maybe, it's your browser.
I see it now! Must be because I'm on my phone, sorry! Oh my I'm tired, I misread the original description, not the cake we are doing but very very cute!!! looks delicious too!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #3239
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
I would bet dollars to donuts (cupcakes?) that the reason the price is so low is they're farming the cake out to the outside vendor and you'll get a generic buttercream cake with stuff stuck around it. Which might be beautiful—we won't really know til people start sharing pictures here. But if you want the Contemporary to make that cake, I think you'll have to put in more specific, complicated requests (and pay more).
That was my concern. I decided to ask them outright and they reassured me the cake was being made by the Contemporary bakery. They even had Donald email me this morning to assure me they are baking it there and taking the greatest care because of DS's allergies. It is a 2 layer vs. 4 layer last time and the price is going up with the addition of the flowers. So relieved and excited!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #3240
ethansmommy
Disney Planner

I have the white chocolate crown dessert ordered for my son for our CRT reservation on the 19th. I will post a pic when we return from our vacation.

"Every story has an end, but in life every ending is just a new begining."

Past Trips: Jan '08-WL, April '08-AKL, Sept '08-WL,
Jan '09-WL, May '09-off-site, Nov '09-Poly, Nov '10-WLV, Nov '11-WL
Future Trips: Nov '13-WL
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: