Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #2956
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September. Size: 8 inch Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top) Location: YC/BC Private Dining - delivered directly to our BCV Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time. Sorry for the large size of the photo!
that's awesome but I got a question. I had a Minnie fully colored from the contem 2 rears ago and a full fondant 8 inch cake and it was 140. Why such a huge price increase forcthe Donald? My Minnie fully fully painted.

Jimi.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #2957
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

For some reason, the Contemporary's pastry team seems to charge the least of any on property, while the Yacht & Beach Club (where the OP's Donald came from) charges the most. The Grand Floridian and BoardWalk seem to fall somewhere in the middle.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #2958
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

I need a cake in 19 days. I am thinking I need to order soon?
A cute mini cake for my turning 3 year old seems best and I have no where to put left overs. I want her to have a little cake since it is her bday.
Crystal Palace or H&v are my options. They are day before her bday and day of.
From reading it seems it will be easier to get a cake to CP easier then H&V. Seems I can't get a mini cake there. Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #2959
jamala
Mouseketeer

Back from our trip and I am trying to figure out how to load a pic of our cake. I gave CR a budget of $100 they quoted $55 and I told them I wanted more I needed it to be "over the top" wilderness lodge themed with lots of hidden mickeys. I got a 6 inch vanilla with custard filling that was very much not over the top. It was plain white fondant with chip and dale on top, green grass around the bottom, no hidden mickeys anywhere after I stressed that several times. And I didn't think chip and dale was wilderness lodge themed. I was very disappointed and I asked for a banner that said "thank you daddy" on the cake and it honestly looked like a 2 year old wrote the banner. Needless to say I will not be using them anymore for our cakes, I miss Chef Brian!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #2960
lurkyloo

Here's the pic of the previous poster's cake...

Pastry Team: The Contemporary

Price: $78

Size: 6 inches

Flavors: Vanilla cake with custard, covered in fondant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala View Post
Back from our trip and I am trying to figure out how to load a pic of our cake. I gave CR a budget of $100 they quoted $55 and I told them I wanted more I needed it to be "over the top" wilderness lodge themed with lots of hidden mickeys. I got a 6 inch vanilla with custard filling that was very much not over the top. It was plain white fondant with chip and dale on top, green grass around the bottom, no hidden mickeys anywhere after I stressed that several times. And I didn't think chip and dale was wilderness lodge themed. I was very disappointed and I asked for a banner that said "thank you daddy" on the cake and it honestly looked like a 2 year old wrote the banner. Needless to say I will not be using them anymore for our cakes, I miss Chef Brian!

Last edited by lurkyloo; 10-01-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Price Update!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2961
jamala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Here's the pic of the previous poster's cake...

Pastry Team: The Contemporary

Price: $100

Size: 6 inches

Flavors: Vanilla cake with custard, covered in fondant

Just checked my CC statement and they charged me $78 for this cake. I guess for that price it is ok but my DD was very disappointed there were no hidden mickeys on the cake and the writing was, in my opinion, very sloppy for a professional cake.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2962
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
For some reason, the Contemporary's pastry team seems to charge the least of any on property, while the Yacht & Beach Club (where the OP's Donald came from) charges the most. The Grand Floridian and BoardWalk seem to fall somewhere in the middle.
In addition to YC/BC charging more in general, it seems to me that custom cakes prices have gone up over the past two years a bit - I looked at a lot of the photos of past cakes on these boards while planning my own cakes and it does seem some of the prices have gone up from 2011.

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #2963
GiJohnsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
Here is what I asked for:

Here is what I got -- delivered to Tony's Town Square at the Magic Kingdom:

It was delivered to Tony's as requested. However, when I checked in I left DD on the porch so that I could remind them about the cake because I wanted her to be surprised. I ended up having to flat out ask our server about it when it was never brought out and she asked if we wanted dessert menus. It took her a while to find it in the back and it was very cold and difficult to slice, leading me to believe that they forgot it in the cooler.

The cake itself was a tad bit dry, as it appears over baked around the edges. You can tell from the photo of the cut slice, I think. Still, it tasted good and the strawberry mousse filling was delicious. It perfectly balanced the sweetness of the buttercream frosting, IMO. The flowers were beautiful, though made of gum paste (I think) and not particularly tasty. There were no butterflies and no sparkles, other than the ones on the backdrop. The backdrop itself was pretty crooked, lol, but DD didn't seem to notice.

The cake was three layers rather than the two layers they quoted me, and the price was as quoted, $67, added to our dinner bill. Just like last time, I felt obligated to tip on the price of the cake.

Overall, I was happy with what we got for the price we paid. (I don't think we will ever return to Tony's, however. The service wasn't great, the food wasn't very good, and it was overpriced for the portion sizes, even by Disney standards, IMO.)

We had to leave the cake with bell services because our room at POR had no fridge. I don't think it would have fit anyway, as the box was pretty big. I had to remove Snow White and the backdrop to get the lid on the box closed. I carried it home on the plane, the entire cake minus two small slices. It made it in fairly good condition, with only a little drooping. I did have to reply to a hundred "you brought me a cake!" comments throughout the trip though lol.
The cake was probably not overcooked. I work at a resort bakery and our vanilla sponge is usually that color. It is probably not as fresh (most places I know bake cakes well in advance) and probably did not get brushed with simple syrup as it should have been. Plus, vs is usually more dry imo due to high ratios of shortening and low levels of flavors. My 50 cents.

Sept 2010 ASMovies
Jan 2012 Pop
July 2012 Art of Animation
April 2013 Pop Adults only trip
June 2013 Dream First DCL!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #2964
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJohnsGirl View Post
The cake was probably not overcooked. I work at a resort bakery and our vanilla sponge is usually that color. It is probably not as fresh (most places I know bake cakes well in advance) and probably did not get brushed with simple syrup as it should have been. Plus, vs is usually more dry imo due to high ratios of shortening and low levels of flavors. My 50 cents.
Thanks for the explanation!

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #2965
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Hey guys. I feel kinda silly with this post, but being that you are all on the DIS boards, means you're most likely an obsessive over-planner like myself. So maybe I shouldn't feel SO silly.

My husband & I are trying to get pregnant. I have a whole plan for how I'm going to surprise him with the news whenever it happens. Well, I realized that that could happen on our next trip to WDW in 2 weeks! (trying to not get my hopes up!!) If that does happen, I will not be able to do my original plan, so I started to try & figure a WDW plan, JUST IN CASE.

We will be traveling with my family. I was thinking (IF IT HAPPENS) surprising my entire family at dinner at Ohana. Ohana is our family tradition & it's early enough in our trip that they wouldn't figure it out by me turning down my favorite rides...

Now, this is a huge IF and I know that. I just don't want to be in WDW, find out & have nothing planned for a big way of telling hubby & fam.

My questions are...

#1. I would find out on Friday (maybe Saturday!) & we'd need the cake Sun night. Think that'd be a problem since its not 48 hours? Do you think they'd be able to use some pixie dust & pull something together for me?

#2. Who would you suggest to order from? CR or GF?

#3. Is there a way of emailing my cake requests since I'll be with everyone & it may be hard to get away to make the phone call. And I won't feel so silly explaining this in an email vs hearing the response over the phone.

#4. Any one have any ideas of a cake style to announce a pregnancy?

I'm thinking if they won't/can't work with me that short notice, to maybe order a cake now for my nephew's 1st visit and at the last minute, IF(!!) I get the good news, contact them & change it from "Austin's 1st Visit" to "Baby Wain's 1st Visit". The only thing I don't like about that plan is the style of the cake couldn't be too baby specific, custom, etc. You know?

I'll take any suggestions. Thanks!

**Edited to add: After reading what felt like the entire thread, I went ahead & called GF to order a mini two tear cake & had a really confusing order placed where I wasn't really given any chance to customize or pick flavors, etc. No email back & forth. Nothing like what I read on here about. I was offered the Mickey Head cake & I said no that I wanted the mini two tear. I was asked chocolate or vanilla (still don't know if that was the cake or the frosting or both) so I said chocolate & then she told me the price & asked what I wanted written on the plate. Then she was asking for my cc. She was short & very matter of fact. It was so rushed so after I gave her my CC I asked if I could have Mickey ears on the top & she said yes, but for an extra $15. I told her that's fine. So she gave me the total & rechecked our info with me & was about to hang up so I interrupted her AGAIN to ask "how was the cake going to be decorated?" "Will it just look like?" "Can I pick the colors?" And she responded, "It's a 3 inch cake, it can't be decorated. It'll look like a chocolate cake." Honestly, she answered as if I was an idiot. She was real short with me through the whole thing & I gotta say, I'm really bummed. Before I could even get my thoughts together to ask about cancelations, changes or to even tell my intentions with the cake IF all goes well, she was already hanging up! Not to mention she put me on hold for 10 minutes after first answering the phone. I wasn't expecting to order a cake in 2 minutes without even being given an idea of what it will look like. I'm so disappointed! So I just paid $60+ for a cake that I don't even have a clue of what it looks like or the flavors. What a disaster!

Last edited by MissMet; 10-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #2966
IceSkatingPrincess
DIS Veteran

So I plan on calling soon, but I was just wondering thoughts on this:

My husband and I have a private fireworks cruise for wishes on our 2 year anniversary (10/15) on our extremely belated honeymoon trip. (It will be leaving from the poly) My cake vision is a whote cake with strawberry filling with the white chocolate slipper on top and somewhere on the plate or cake it would say "and they lived happily ever after". Maybe a few flowers. DO you think this is possible? How big of a cake would I need? It would just be my husband and I. I'd like to not go over $100. Thank you!

My dream would be for the cake to look like a pillow that the glass slipper would be presented on... but I fear this would be insanely expensive. I don't know how to post pictures but there are plenty on google images

most recent trips:
May '09 - Disneyland offsite Jan '11 - offsite May '11 - offsite Disneymoon Oct '13- offsite May '14 - offsite July '14 - AKL Aug '14 - Pop Dec '14 - offsite
Jan '14 - WL CL! Feb '15 - Pop
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #2967
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMet View Post
I was asked chocolate or vanilla (still don't know if that was the cake or the frosting or both) so I said chocolate & then she told me the price & asked what I wanted written on the plate. Then she was asking for my cc. She was short & very matter of fact. It was so rushed so after I gave her my CC I asked if I could have Mickey ears on the top & she said yes, but for an extra $15. I told her that's fine. So she gave me the total & rechecked our info with me & was about to hang up so I interrupted her AGAIN to ask "how was the cake going to be decorated?" "Will it just look like?" "Can I pick the colors?" And she responded, "It's a 3 inch cake, it can't be decorated. It'll look like a chocolate cake." Honestly, she answered as if I was an idiot. She was real short with me through the whole thing & I gotta say, I'm really bummed.
"It'll look like a chocolate cake".... ???

Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, this seems to happen to most people who try to order from the Grand Floridian. They are also super-stingy about mini-cake flavors, unlike other places on property. When they say "chocolate" they mean it'll be chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream.

I hope you'll post a photo when you get back so we can all see what a chocolate cake looks like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceSkatingPrincess View Post
So I plan on calling soon, but I was just wondering thoughts on this:

My husband and I have a private fireworks cruise for wishes on our 2 year anniversary (10/15) on our extremely belated honeymoon trip. (It will be leaving from the poly) My cake vision is a white cake with strawberry filling with the white chocolate slipper on top and somewhere on the plate or cake it would say "and they lived happily ever after". Maybe a few flowers. DO you think this is possible? How big of a cake would I need? It would just be my husband and I. I'd like to not go over $100. Thank you!
This is possible, and they should be able to fit the slipper on a 6-inch cake so you won't have a ton of leftovers (you'll still have a lot of leftovers, just not a ton!). You might have to skip the fondant covering the buttercream to keep the price at $100 though.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #2968
IceSkatingPrincess
DIS Veteran

Buttercream tastes better anyway! (:

most recent trips:
May '09 - Disneyland offsite Jan '11 - offsite May '11 - offsite Disneymoon Oct '13- offsite May '14 - offsite July '14 - AKL Aug '14 - Pop Dec '14 - offsite
Jan '14 - WL CL! Feb '15 - Pop
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #2969
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Can I cancel a cake order... thinking of changing to the night before at the wave which I could then use the CR.

There's no way I'm paying that amount of money for just a "chocolate cake" especially for for something possibly so special. I could have just got a podium cake for that matter. The more I think about this the more angry I get.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #2970
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMet View Post
Can I cancel a cake order... thinking of changing to the night before at the wave which I could then use the CR.
Yep! And I'd mention why I was canceling, too!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: