Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #2941
isabelle315
Earning My Ears

Cake at HDDR?

Hi!! I tried searching the boards, and looked through some of this thread, but couldn't find any mention of cake at HDDR.

Is it possible to do cake or anything else special for a birthday at HDDR? We'll be there for dinner on our first night... it is our honeymoon and my fiance's birthday is the week of our wedding and is bound to get a little buried in all the prep and excitement...so I'd like to do something special for him at WDW, and the first night would be ideal.

If not, I could always have one waiting in our room at WL when we get back, I suppose.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #2942
ktdid23
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have any photo ideas of an Alice mini cake? I've only seen Mad Hatter style cakes, but I'd rather do something with Alice and the flower garden for my soon-to-be 3 year old. Thanks!

POP Century - October 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2943
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

My 30th Birthday Cake

Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September.

Size: 8 inch

Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant

Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top)

Location: YC/BC Private Dining - delivered directly to our BCV

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time.

Sorry for the large size of the photo!

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #2944
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle315 View Post
Hi!! I tried searching the boards, and looked through some of this thread, but couldn't find any mention of cake at HDDR. Is it possible to do cake or anything else special for a birthday at HDDR? We'll be there for dinner on our first night... it is our honeymoon and my fiance's birthday is the week of our wedding and is bound to get a little buried in all the prep and excitement...so I'd like to do something special for him at WDW, and the first night would be ideal. If not, I could always have one waiting in our room at WL when we get back, I suppose. Thanks!
Yes, see post 2 on the first page for the Fort Wilderness number. Since HDDR is at that resort they should be able to help you.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #2945
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red.
Wow! That's the best hand-painted white chocolate figure I've seen yet!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #2946
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas... We will be in Disney World Jan-24 till Feb 1 and we kind of have three birthdays to celebrate. My oldest daughter turns 11 a few days before we get there, my youngest daughter turns 6 while there and I turn 35 feb 2 the day after we leave. We have reservations every night throughout our trip and CRT on my girls sixth bday. How should we go about getting cakes? I think three would be a little much and I don't want our other kids left out. I am almost thinking a mini cake (themed with the white aristocat?) if they do that and five themed cupcakes for everyone else. All at CRT. Do they do themed cupcakes? I was figuring that way no one would be left out. Any other suggestions would be great.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #2947
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Wow! That's the best hand-painted white chocolate figure I've seen yet!
I loved it - knocked my socks off!

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #2948
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo

You had a Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding, right? Some past brides have had better luck asking their former wedding planners for help with anniversary cake orders (though it's kinda up to whether or not s/he feels like helping you). You might reach out to yours and just ask...
I tried calling the GF number again yesterday evening at 7.20pm, my Sister and I were at the resort pool and hubby was in the room, and Pat actually picked up the phone! I didn't push the Star Wars issue. I am going with a golf theme for hubby for his Birthday. Pat quoted me $66, it will be chocolate with raspberry filling. Lurkyloo - I'll use your tip for a replica anniversary cake if/when we are here celebrating our anniversay, thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #2949
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark
Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September.

Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant

Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top)

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time.

Sorry for the large size of the photo!
Wow - love this cake. Congratulations!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #2950
Rarity
I don't trust wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post

That is an awesome Donald! He's my favorite of the Fab Five so it makes me smile to see such loving detail and work put into that figure of him. Wish I had the budget to splurge on something like that!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #2951
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_Jude View Post
I tried calling the GF number again yesterday evening at 7.20pm, my Sister and I were at the resort pool and hubby was in the room, and Pat actually picked up the phone! I didn't push the Star Wars issue. I am going with a golf theme for hubby for his Birthday. Pat quoted me $66, it will be chocolate with raspberry filling. Lurkyloo - I'll use your tip for a replica anniversary cake if/when we are here celebrating our anniversay, thanks!
Oh good! I'm so glad you finally got to place your order!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #2952
JoJo1980
DIS Veteran

Hope someone might be able to help? We've just booked a trip for November and I'm wanting to order a themed fondant cake to be delivered during our meal. I think we'll probably be booking a meal at Kona at the Poly. To get a cake delivered there is it the Contemporary that I have to email? Or should I phone first? Thanks for any help
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #2953
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1980 View Post
Hope someone might be able to help? We've just booked a trip for November and I'm wanting to order a themed fondant cake to be delivered during our meal. I think we'll probably be booking a meal at Kona at the Poly. To get a cake delivered there is it the Contemporary that I have to email? Or should I phone first? Thanks for any help
No, the Grand Floridian provides cakes for the Polynesian, and they do not offer an email address for ordering cakes. Call Private Dining at the GF using the number listed in Post #2 of this thread.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #2954
JoJo1980
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
No, the Grand Floridian provides cakes for the Polynesian, and they do not offer an email address for ordering cakes. Call Private Dining at the GF using the number listed in Post #2 of this thread.
That's great, Thank you !!

Do you think they'd be able to do something along the lines of it being Wilderness Lodge themed? Going to nosey on google for some ideas
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #2955
lurkyloo

Sure! It does help to have lots of photos, though, if you have something very specific in mind.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: