Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #2911
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal
 
NEVERENOUGHWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...
Posts: 26,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy819 View Post
I don't usually post much here but I just wanted to share our recent cake ordering experience.

I contacted Chef Brian through the email address provided on this thread about a month prior to our departure date. I emailed him this picture of a cake I had seen on here.

I gave him a price range of $100-$150 and let him know that it needed to feed 4 people. I told him that it didn't need to be exactly like the picture but we wanted something similar (maybe this is where things went wrong?) He emailed back that a similar cake would be $107 and I placed the order.

Fast forward a few weeks and this is what was delivered to us.





I was soooo upset This cake was beyond ugly! Not only was it ugly but when it arrived to the table most of the "fireworks" were broken off on the ends. It looked like someone carelessly threw this together at the last minute. There were no flowers, no tinkerbell, and no Mickey balloons.

I immediately stepped to the side and asked to speak to a manager. The wait staff even commented on the cake and how it wasn't up to the typical disney standards. The cake was taken off the bill so at least I didn't have to pay $107 plus tax and tip on that ugly thing but it totally ruined the moment.

I have emailed Chef Brian twice about the quality of cake we received but I haven't received a response yet.
I'm thinking the photo you sent was more than $150.

I'm sorry it ruined you night but...not paying and having your night ruined is a little extreme.
__________________
Miracles happen every day.


What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #2912
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
I'm thinking the photo you sent was more than $150.
The poster already replied and said the poster who ordered the original cake said it was $110.

I completely understand being disappointed. I think this is a good reminder to everyone here to make sure that if there's something you really want in a cake, and will be unhappy if its not there, that you need to ask for it specifically.
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #2913
fitzy819
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coast of Virginia
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
you're welcome! I hope you hear back soon!

To be fair, though, from what you mentioned here you did say that the cake didn't need to be exactly like the picture. Given that instruction, and not specifically requesting the white chocolate Tink, I'm not surprised that the chef didn't include it. The woman I coordinated the cake with over e-mail required me to specifically approve the white chocolate figure, even after I'd initially mentioned it in my description of the cake. When she replied with a quote, she quoted me the cake and then listed the white chocolate figure prices (unpainted, accented w/gold or silver, fully painted) and asked that I confirm what exactly I wanted with the white chocolate figure before completing the order.

While we are giving the chef creative control as well, I made sure that I was specific about the elements that we'd be disappointed if we didn't get. Crossing my fingers that that approach works well..
When I first ordered the cake Chef Brian was the one I was emailing with but it looks like he was reassigned between the time that I ordered and our vacation. At least I know it wasn't him, lol. I have seen all the cakes he has made on here and they are all very impressive so I was disappointed that this one seemed to be done so carelessly.

To be honest, the Tink was only a small issue with this cake. There was NO thought or creativity put into the cake. Since the cake was a surprise my mother, she thought we had gotten it from a local grocery store and somehow given it to our waitress to deliver to the table. When my mom found out the cake was $107 and ordered from the Contemporary she was very disappointed. The fireworks in the original picture were likely made of royal icing and resembled actual fireworks. The "fireworks" on this cake were made of white chocolate. They were very lumpy, breaking, and resembled spiders more than fireworks. Aside from the Tink there were no flowers or mickey balloons. This cake was ELECTRIC blue and COVERED in edible glitter so it looked even tackier than it already was. I took several close up pictures of the poor quality of this cake but I didn't want to bore yall, haha. I have seen cakes on here that are $75 or less an look way better than this one.

All of this aside we had a great trip and the cake isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It was just such a bummer to receive this on my mom's birthday on the last night of our vacation when the rest of the trip had been so amazing. Anyways, thanks for letting me vent!
fitzy819 is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #2914
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal
 
NEVERENOUGHWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...
Posts: 26,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
The poster already replied and said the poster who ordered the original cake said it was $110.

I completely understand being disappointed. I think this is a good reminder to everyone here to make sure that if there's something you really want in a cake, and will be unhappy if its not there, that you need to ask for it specifically.

Very, very true!

Years ago when we started ordering cakes I was very unhappy with the appearance but it was my fault. It was delicious, I paid for it and learned a valuable lesson.
__________________
Miracles happen every day.


What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #2915
fitzy819
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coast of Virginia
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW View Post
Very, very true!

Years ago when we started ordering cakes I was very unhappy with the appearance but it was my fault. It was delicious, I paid for it and learned a valuable lesson.
Since you are so peeved that I didn't pay for the ugly cake I will tell you how the situation happened.

-The cake was delivered. My sister and I had a look of shock on our faces; not because it wasn't exactly like the picture but because the quality of the work was very poor. We had both seen what a $100-$150 budget will get you cake wise and this was NOT what we expected.

-Without making a scene I went and spoke with a waitress that was at the side of the restaurant. She said, "oh, you're the one that ordered that expensive cake. We were waiting for someone to come say something about that. We were all looking at it in the back and couldn't believe they wanted to charge you $107 for that thing."

-I explained to her that this cake was for my mother's birthday and that I didn't want to make a huge ordeal but I would like to speak to a manager.

-15 minutes or so later a manager came to talk to me. Without me saying anything he said he was sorry about the quality of the cake and that he too was displeased in what was given to me. He said that they would not charge me for the cake and that I should speak to someone at the Contemporary as well. I never asked not to be charged for the cake, it was offered.

- We took the cake back to our room and the next morning shared it with cast members on our floor (we were staying club level so we shared it with the staff that works up there).

Judging by everyone's reactions that saw the cake first hand I would say that that I am not overreacting. I just wanted to share my experience here as I was VERY excited to order a cake for the first time and had a crummy experience. Like I said previously, it did not ruin our trip and we had an amazing vacation.
fitzy819 is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #2916
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran
 
LJSquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy819 View Post
Since you are so peeved that I didn't pay for the ugly cake I will tell you how the situation happened.

-The cake was delivered. My sister and I had a look of shock on our faces; not because it wasn't exactly like the picture but because the quality of the work was very poor. We had both seen what a $100-$150 budget will get you cake wise and this was NOT what we expected.

-Without making a scene I went and spoke with a waitress that was at the side of the restaurant. She said, "oh, you're the one that ordered that expensive cake. We were waiting for someone to come say something about that. We were all looking at it in the back and couldn't believe they wanted to charge you $107 for that thing."

-I explained to her that this cake was for my mother's birthday and that I didn't want to make a huge ordeal but I would like to speak to a manager.

-15 minutes or so later a manager came to talk to me. Without me saying anything he said he was sorry about the quality of the cake and that he too was displeased in what was given to me. He said that they would not charge me for the cake and that I should speak to someone at the Contemporary as well. I never asked not to be charged for the cake, it was offered.

- We took the cake back to our room and the next morning shared it with cast members on our floor (we were staying club level so we shared it with the staff that works up there).

Judging by everyone's reactions that saw the cake first hand I would say that that I am not overreacting. I just wanted to share my experience here as I was VERY excited to order a cake for the first time and had a crummy experience. Like I said previously, it did not ruin our trip and we had an amazing vacation.
I think you handled it appropriately. It was wise of you to step aside and not cause a scene at your table. Your cake definitely did not look like a $100 cake in my opinion, at least not compared to some of the others I've seen here. You are already paying "Disney" price (read: inflated) for a custom cake, and I would have been upset myself if that's what I got. The fireworks don't even look like fireworks...they look more like the flowers that are in your inspiration photo. LOL Honestly, the cake you got looks like a cake that one would maybe recreate on their own at their house to mimic the "real deal". Hehe.

I would have had a hard time not paying for the cake even if they said they would remove it from the bill, but sometimes they really do insist that you not pay for it.

Hopefully that cake wasn't done by the person that took over Brian's spot.
__________________


Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #2917
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,371

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy819 View Post
When I first ordered the cake Chef Brian was the one I was emailing with but it looks like he was reassigned between the time that I ordered and our vacation. At least I know it wasn't him, lol. I have seen all the cakes he has made on here and they are all very impressive so I was disappointed that this one seemed to be done so carelessly.
Oh I completely agree with you that the workmanship on the cake is subpar compared to what I've seen the Contemporary bakery do! Even piping buttercream would have made for better fireworks than those white chocolate things. I definitely don't blame you for being disappointed at all. I just brought up the Tink stuff in case you ever did order a cake in the future and wanted a white chocolate figure then!
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #2918
mrsclark
Mouseketeer
 
mrsclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 435

NEVERENOUGHWDW, I started reading your post on my iphone and switched to my iPad so I could see pictures. I clicked on the first photo you posted and thought that cake is amazing, I am not sure what she is unhappy about. BUT then I saw saw your cake and realized the first photo was the inspiration. I totally agree with you that it was completely underwhelming and even from the photos looked poorly done to me.

I am in complete agreement that the manager told you not to pay for the cake - the mark of good customer service is not charging someone for a product they are unhappy with. Obviously the craftsmanship of the cake is subpar and you should not pay for poor workmanship.
__________________
(Me) (DH) (Our Dog Dobby) (Our Dog Tonks)

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
mrsclark is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #2919
mrsclark
Mouseketeer
 
mrsclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 435

I should add to the above that I work in customer service - my first job always always always is to make the customer happy. If they aren't happy, we as a company, do what it takes to fix it including refunds, discounts, etc. we don't want someone to pay for something they aren't satisfied with because we want to impress them with our service level which in turn leads to more potential sales in the future. If we disappoint the customer AnD make them pay for it that will just leave a bad taste in their mouths. Negative feelings do not usually lead to more sales.
__________________
(Me) (DH) (Our Dog Dobby) (Our Dog Tonks)

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
mrsclark is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #2920
faylynn24
DIS Veteran
 
faylynn24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 613

Okay this may be a very stupid question but where are the places i can have a cake delivered if i order a cake from contemporary?? i apologize if this is already told in this thread.


Im trying to order a chocolate ganache cake with chocolate shavings and fresh strawberries. I also wanted it customed with a chocolate pic of jesse/toy story theme.
faylynn24 is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #2921
fitzy819
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coast of Virginia
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I think you handled it appropriately. It was wise of you to step aside and not cause a scene at your table. Your cake definitely did not look like a $100 cake in my opinion, at least not compared to some of the others I've seen here. You are already paying "Disney" price (read: inflated) for a custom cake, and I would have been upset myself if that's what I got. The fireworks don't even look like fireworks...they look more like the flowers that are in your inspiration photo. LOL Honestly, the cake you got looks like a cake that one would maybe recreate on their own at their house to mimic the "real deal". Hehe.

I would have had a hard time not paying for the cake even if they said they would remove it from the bill, but sometimes they really do insist that you not pay for it.

Hopefully that cake wasn't done by the person that took over Brian's spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
Oh I completely agree with you that the workmanship on the cake is subpar compared to what I've seen the Contemporary bakery do! Even piping buttercream would have made for better fireworks than those white chocolate things. I definitely don't blame you for being disappointed at all. I just brought up the Tink stuff in case you ever did order a cake in the future and wanted a white chocolate figure then!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
NEVERENOUGHWDW, I started reading your post on my iphone and switched to my iPad so I could see pictures. I clicked on the first photo you posted and thought that cake is amazing, I am not sure what she is unhappy about. BUT then I saw saw your cake and realized the first photo was the inspiration. I totally agree with you that it was completely underwhelming and even from the photos looked poorly done to me.

I am in complete agreement that the manager told you not to pay for the cake - the mark of good customer service is not charging someone for a product they are unhappy with. Obviously the craftsmanship of the cake is subpar and you should not pay for poor workmanship.
Thanks yall! I obviously love Disney and just had a lot of excitement invested is this cake. It was definitely a big bummer but I'm sure it will be something my family will laugh about in the future.

I am still going to contact the Contemporary because this quality of work was so unlike them. In my head there is some grand story behind this cake; like it was dropped and they had to scramble to make a new one or something. If we order a cake again I will probably do it through the Grand Floridian or an outside company. Oh well, you live and you learn.
fitzy819 is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #2922
AuroraRora
Princess
 
AuroraRora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,501

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark
NEVERENOUGHWDW, I started reading your post on my iphone and switched to my iPad so I could see pictures. I clicked on the first photo you posted and thought that cake is amazing, I am not sure what she is unhappy about. BUT then I saw saw your cake and realized the first photo was the inspiration. I totally agree with you that it was completely underwhelming and even from the photos looked poorly done to me
This was exactly my reaction too, I saw the post on my phone so I skimmed the post then looked at the pics - first pic I thought, what's the problem, that cake is amazing!! Second and third pic, I thought ah actually in that other lighting it looks pretty bad, crazy how different it looks with the flowers and balloons missing... Then I went back and read the post and realized why there was such a difference in quality.

I would be very unhappy with that too and I probably wouldn't have paid for it either. You're right to go ahead and bring it up with Contemp anyway - maybe they have one shoddy baker or something happened with your order that a manager isn't aware of and should be.
__________________
Oct '00, '02, '04 - Off-property 3 weeks each
March 06 - Spring Break
July '07 - AK Lodge 3 weeks
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2923
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran
 
Brit_Jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan

You could have Mickey playing golf or football. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone be successful in talking them into reproducing any of the special mini cakes or cupcakes from that wedding expo. They appear to only be available for weddings in multiple quantities. Hopefully, someone will correct me, if I missed one.
I would mind so much if they said sorry those are only for weddings or for bulk orders. Called and left another voicemail for Pat yesterday afternoon. No call back yet.....maybe today. At this rate I'll be left with a podium cake.....maybe this is their intent....so disappointed.
__________________
Moved close to the Mouse!
Me DH Benson Dog
Brit_Jude is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #2924
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran
 
Brit_Jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,319

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo
Yeah, so far no one's been able to get Disney to re-create that R2D2 cake. Does your husband have a favorite Disney character, theme park, or fireworks show? We've seen some neat fireworks cakes here, and an awesome Monorail cake. If you said he was, say, a fan of Animal Kingdom, I'll bet they could take the theme and run with it...
If I can every get to actually talk to Pat maybe we can work something out. His favorite ride is Splash Mountain, however for him Disney is about golf and Star Wars weekend. So will probably go with a golf theme, Goofy golf.
__________________
Moved close to the Mouse!
Me DH Benson Dog
Brit_Jude is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #2925
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran
 
Feisty Fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_Jude View Post
Called the GF and I have been voicemailing with Pat. I wanted R2D2 mini cake for DH's Birthday during our ressie at Narcossees on his actual Birthday. I wanted one just like the those displayed at the Wedding expo. I am a little peeved that she only ever calls back at 10pm at night when I am heading to bed as I get up at 5am. Also DH is usually right next to me when she calls at that time. Anyway, the last message I got on Saturday is that now due to legal reasons Disney can't make any Star Wars themed cakes! I am sooooooo disapointed and don't know what to order him now. His other interests are golf and the Colts football but those don't seem very Disney or very special for a Disney birthday celebration. And didn't I just have Darth Vader cupcake at Star Wars weekend this past May!!!!???
That does not make since Disney owns Star Wars. I had this made a couple of years ago I think May 2011 at the contemporary for my husband. Chef Brian did it.

__________________
Feisty Fairy is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: