Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2896
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
I will be in wdw about a month before my dd 5th birthday, in which I will be ordering a cake for (2 trips a month and half apart). We will be getting it from the boardwalk bakery, can I talk to someone in person or do they only communicate via email and phone? I want a custom cake and would feel better talking to a real person.
When you call to place the order, let them know that you'd like the direct line or the email of the pastry chef so you can hash out the details of the cake. I was able to chat with a pastry chef at the BoardWalk for the mini cake I had them make us.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #2897
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo

When you call to place the order, let them know that you'd like the direct line or the email of the pastry chef so you can hash out the details of the cake. I was able to chat with a pastry chef at the BoardWalk for the mini cake I had them make us.
I guess phrased that wrong. I wanted to know if I could talk to a physical person not just a voice over the phone. So if I actually walk into the boardwalk bakery can I talk to an actual baker or will they only discuss custom cakes over phone and email?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #2898
lurkyloo

Hmmm... It seems like they would, if there was a chef on duty at the time. I think you'll have better luck if you go in the morning.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #2899
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

OK. Great. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #2900
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Called the GF and I have been voicemailing with Pat. I wanted R2D2 mini cake for DH's Birthday during our ressie at Narcossees on his actual Birthday. I wanted one just like the those displayed at the Wedding expo. I am a little peeved that she only ever calls back at 10pm at night when I am heading to bed as I get up at 5am. Also DH is usually right next to me when she calls at that time. Anyway, the last message I got on Saturday is that now due to legal reasons Disney can't make any Star Wars themed cakes! I am sooooooo disapointed and don't know what to order him now. His other interests are golf and the Colts football but those don't seem very Disney or very special for a Disney birthday celebration.

And didn't I just have Darth Vader cupcake at Star Wars weekend this past May!!!!???

Last edited by Brit_Jude; 09-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #2901
lurkyloo

Yeah, so far no one's been able to get Disney to re-create that R2D2 cake. Does your husband have a favorite Disney character, theme park, or fireworks show? We've seen some neat fireworks cakes here, and an awesome Monorail cake. If you said he was, say, a fan of Animal Kingdom, I'll bet they could take the theme and run with it...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #2902
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_Jude View Post
Called the GF and I have been voicemailing with Pat. I wanted R2D2 mini cake for DH's Birthday during our ressie at Narcossees on his actual Birthday. I wanted one just like the those displayed at the Wedding expo. I am a little peeved that she only ever calls back at 10pm at night when I am heading to bed as I get up at 5am. Also DH is usually right next to me when she calls at that time. Anyway, the last message I got on Saturday is that now due to legal reasons Disney can't make any Star Wars themed cakes! I am sooooooo disapointed and don't know what to order him now. His other interests are golf and the Colts football but those don't seem very Disney or very special for a Disney birthday celebration.

And didn't I just have Darth Vader cupcake at Star Wars weekend this past May!!!!???
Or what about a favorite ride - I have seen some amazing ride specific cakes such as Test Track.

Funny now that Disney actually owns Star Wars you think it would be easier rather than harder to make a Star Wars cake...

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2903
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_Jude View Post

You could have Mickey playing golf or football. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone be successful in talking them into reproducing any of the special mini cakes or cupcakes from that wedding expo. They appear to only be available for weddings in multiple quantities. Hopefully, someone will correct me, if I missed one.
(")_(")

Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #2904
fitzy819
Mouseketeer

Cake Experience

I don't usually post much here but I just wanted to share our recent cake ordering experience.

I contacted Chef Brian through the email address provided on this thread about a month prior to our departure date. I emailed him this picture of a cake I had seen on here.

I gave him a price range of $100-$150 and let him know that it needed to feed 4 people. I told him that it didn't need to be exactly like the picture but we wanted something similar (maybe this is where things went wrong?) He emailed back that a similar cake would be $107 and I placed the order.

Fast forward a few weeks and this is what was delivered to us.

I was soooo upset This cake was beyond ugly! Not only was it ugly but when it arrived to the table most of the "fireworks" were broken off on the ends. It looked like someone carelessly threw this together at the last minute. There were no flowers, no tinkerbell, and no Mickey balloons.

I immediately stepped to the side and asked to speak to a manager. The wait staff even commented on the cake and how it wasn't up to the typical disney standards. The cake was taken off the bill so at least I didn't have to pay $107 plus tax and tip on that ugly thing but it totally ruined the moment.

I have emailed Chef Brian twice about the quality of cake we received but I haven't received a response yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #2905
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

I believe you need to specifically ask for the white chocolate figures (like Tinkerbell)? I don't know that the chef will put them on without the request because they do cost a bit on their own (the Mickey/Minnie anniversary figure w/gold accents is $30 alone on our cake next week)

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience We've given the chef creative control to design a Mickey/Minnie anniversary cake w/the figure I mentioned and orange/yellow roses included, but creative control beyond that...I'm crossing my fingers it turns out well!

ETA: I also don't know when your cake was done, but I do know chef Brian posted here recently saying that he's been re-assigned to a different area of the Contemporary kitchen. I don't know what that means for him responding to e-mails if you were e-mailing the contemporary's cake ordering e-mail.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #2906
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Here is what I asked for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
white cake, with vanilla buttercream frosting, and strawberry mousse filling, a 2D stand-up image of Snow White, lots of flowers, butterflies if possible, and sparkles. The image and colors they use, and the decorations on the sides I left up to the pastry team.

...a 2-layer 8-inch cake... $67.

Here is what I got -- delivered to Tony's Town Square at the Magic Kingdom:

It was delivered to Tony's as requested. However, when I checked in I left DD on the porch so that I could remind them about the cake because I wanted her to be surprised. I ended up having to flat out ask our server about it when it was never brought out and she asked if we wanted dessert menus. It took her a while to find it in the back and it was very cold and difficult to slice, leading me to believe that they forgot it in the cooler.

The cake itself was a tad bit dry, as it appears over baked around the edges. You can tell from the photo of the cut slice, I think. Still, it tasted good and the strawberry mousse filling was delicious. It perfectly balanced the sweetness of the buttercream frosting, IMO. The flowers were beautiful, though made of gum paste (I think) and not particularly tasty. There were no butterflies and no sparkles, other than the ones on the backdrop. The backdrop itself was pretty crooked, lol, but DD didn't seem to notice.

The cake was three layers rather than the two layers they quoted me, and the price was as quoted, $67, added to our dinner bill. Just like last time, I felt obligated to tip on the price of the cake.

Overall, I was happy with what we got for the price we paid. (I don't think we will ever return to Tony's, however. The service wasn't great, the food wasn't very good, and it was overpriced for the portion sizes, even by Disney standards, IMO.)

We had to leave the cake with bell services because our room at POR had no fridge. I don't think it would have fit anyway, as the box was pretty big. I had to remove Snow White and the backdrop to get the lid on the box closed. I carried it home on the plane, the entire cake minus two small slices. It made it in fairly good condition, with only a little drooping. I did have to reply to a hundred "you brought me a cake!" comments throughout the trip though lol.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *

Last edited by jcemom; 09-24-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #2907
fitzy819
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
I believe you need to specifically ask for the white chocolate figures (like Tinkerbell)? I don't know that the chef will put them on without the request because they do cost a bit on their own (the Mickey/Minnie anniversary figure w/gold accents is $30 alone on our cake next week)

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience We've given the chef creative control to design a Mickey/Minnie anniversary cake w/the figure I mentioned and orange/yellow roses included, but creative control beyond that...I'm crossing my fingers it turns out well!

ETA: I also don't know when your cake was done, but I do know chef Brian posted here recently saying that he's been re-assigned to a different area of the Contemporary kitchen. I don't know what that means for him responding to e-mails if you were e-mailing the contemporary's cake ordering e-mail.
Thanks! Maybe that is why I haven't heard anything yet. I might call tomorrow. I know on the box it said that "Heather" made the cake.

I knew that white chocolate figures were extra just from reading here. The person who ordered the original cake said they paid $110 for the cake. Since I was quoted $107 I assumed (silly me) that it would be close to the original. Even if Tink was extra my budget was $150 so it would have still easily been within the budget. The whole experience was just a mess!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #2908
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy819 View Post
Thanks! Maybe that is why I haven't heard anything yet. I might call tomorrow. I know on the box it said that "Heather" made the cake.

I knew that white chocolate figures were extra just from reading here. The person who ordered the original cake said they paid $110 for the cake. Since I was quoted $107 I assumed (silly me) that it would be close to the original. Even if Tink was extra my budget was $150 so it would have still easily been within the budget. The whole experience was just a mess!
you're welcome! I hope you hear back soon!

To be fair, though, from what you mentioned here you did say that the cake didn't need to be exactly like the picture. Given that instruction, and not specifically requesting the white chocolate Tink, I'm not surprised that the chef didn't include it. The woman I coordinated the cake with over e-mail required me to specifically approve the white chocolate figure, even after I'd initially mentioned it in my description of the cake. When she replied with a quote, she quoted me the cake and then listed the white chocolate figure prices (unpainted, accented w/gold or silver, fully painted) and asked that I confirm what exactly I wanted with the white chocolate figure before completing the order.

While we are giving the chef creative control as well, I made sure that I was specific about the elements that we'd be disappointed if we didn't get. Crossing my fingers that that approach works well..

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #2909
jaleaton
I walked into a Target bathroom and it smelled like Disney World!

Does anyone know how long it generally take the chefs at Contemporary / BLT to respond back to requests? I emailed on September 19th, but have yet to hear anything back. I don't need the cake until the end of October, but I'd rather get this taken care of instead of forgetting about it later.
June 2006:Engaged at WDW, July 2007:Honeymoon at CBR, Oct. 2008:POFQ & 1st MNSSHP, Jan. 2009:OKW & VWL w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy, Oct. 2009: 1st Trip as DVC Members @ BLT w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy (Isabelle's 1st Trip), June 2010: AKL , May 2011: BLT, June 2011: OKW,November 2012: BLT (Juliet's 1st Trip) October 2013: BLT, January 2014: AKL,May 2014: Boardwalk,
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2910
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleaton View Post
Does anyone know how long it generally take the chefs at Contemporary / BLT to respond back to requests? I emailed on September 19th, but have yet to hear anything back. I don't need the cake until the end of October, but I'd rather get this taken care of instead of forgetting about it later.
I e-mailed on Sept 21 and received the first e-mail back on Sept 22 - but the cake is for Oct 1. (it's for an MK restaurant, so through the hotline, but I think the Contemporary is the bakery that handles it)

The advice I've read here is not to order until 2-3 weeks before your trip. I didn't like putting off ordering it either, but we followed that timeline in march as well and it all went off without a hitch at all. The same thing is proving true this time around as well. I've gone back and forth with the MK contact a few times since the 22nd, and we just finished the final confirm/order today.

April 2011

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: