Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #271
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Interested in the Haunted Mansion cake

OK, I am seriously considering ordering a cake for my DD's bday for our trip. We are staying at the Poly, and having dinner at Kona the evening we arrive. I realize I need to work with the GF on this, but... I need help on saying the right things to get a rocking HM cake. I like the stretching room one and the wallpaper border.. but I am a mess when it comes to words, so what would you all say when you go to order this cake? Any suggestions??

thanks!!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #272
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
I found a company called Divvies that delivers cupcakes any where in the US or Canada. They will deliver cupcakes to our hotel on any day I specify. They look fabulous and they get terrific reviews. They are also much cheaper. They arrive uniced with all the necessary decorations and icings. My kids will have a blast decorating them. It may not be for everyone, but I think it's a great option. Enjoy!!
This is great info—thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Are they limited to specific 'styles' of characters for the cakes?
Nope, the only prohibition is on non-Disney characters and Pooh & Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Also, for DD's mini cake, I was going to offer a theme (Rapunzel and/or lanterns). Is that okay or should I try to come up with something more specific? I'm really easy-going about her cake (for her the thrill will be the Illuminations Cruise) but didn't know if they tend to prefer more guidance.
If you're easygoing, that should be fine. It's those of us with uber-specific ideas who need to be really precise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
The cake to icing ratio on these mini-cakes is perfect in my opinion

Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
OK, I am seriously considering ordering a cake for my DD's bday for our trip. We are staying at the Poly, and having dinner at Kona the evening we arrive. I realize I need to work with the GF on this, but... I need help on saying the right things to get a rocking HM cake. I like the stretching room one and the wallpaper border.. but I am a mess when it comes to words, so what would you all say when you go to order this cake? Any suggestions??
Hhmmm... I guess you might say you want the stretching room portraits screen-printed on white chocolate and inserted into the top of the cake so they stand up. And you could say you want a screen print of the Haunted Mansion wallpaper wrapping around the sides of the cake. You could try asking to send photos of the cake(s) you're using for inspiration, but it's never certain whether she'll let you send any... It can also be good to be sure she knows you know it's going to cost a lot of money so she doesn't try to shut you down right off the bat.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #273
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
My birthday cake:

The specifics:

mini-cake from Contemporary bakery, delivered to the California Grill on 5/27
vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling
buttercream icing with no specific design request, just "something whimsical in Figment colors"
$40 plus tax and tip

The review:
Our best Disney cake experience thus far. The cake to icing ratio on these mini-cakes is perfect in my opinion, and the tangy-tart passion fruit was an amazing balance to the sweeter buttercream and the little candy flowers. There's not a whole lot of actual cake, but what there was was moist and an excellent vehicle for the filling & icing. I was very happy with the overall look of the cake as well. The colors are a bit distorted in the picture, it was sunset at a window table and I wasn't playing with my white balance to get better shots, but the purple/orange/yellow was just what I had in mind. This size cake is supposed to feed two, but after a nice dinner it was plenty for the four of us (my mother & I, a light-eater 10yo, and a 3yo). After two good-but-not-great experiences with the Grand Floridian bakery, this cake taught me something - from now on, birthday dinners will be at the Contemporary!
If you don't mind, I'm going to order this exact cake for my 40th birthday dinner at Tony's during MNSSHP. Brian says he'll do a peanut free one for us. Love it, love it, love it!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #274
goofygreb
Mouseketeer

25th Wedding Anniversary May 23rd at The California Grill. Surprised husband with a 6inch marble cake with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla butter cream under fondant. The Mickey heads were solid milk and white chocolate and the silver buttons were chocolate candies
Cost $100

I emailed Brian a picture I drew and he made the cake from that. It was perfect and the cake was moist and tasty!

The whole evening was perfect we arrived at 7:45 for our 7:50 ADR and were seated immediately. Our waited did not rush us and the cake was delivered after Wishes along with complimentary champagne. We were there for 3 hours and the whole experience was wonderful and relaxing. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Oct.1997-Off site, Oct.1998-ASSP, Nov.1999-ASSP, Dec.2000- Dixie Landings,
Oct.2001-ASSP, Oct.2003-ASSP, Oct.2004-ASSP, July 2005-POFQ, Aug.2005-AKL,
Oct.2005-ASSP, Feb.2006-POFQ, Aug.2006-POFQ, May 2007-ASSP,
July 2007-POFQ, Nov.2007-POFQ, Aug. 2008-POFQ, Sept.2009-POFQ, Jan 2010-POFQ,
April 2010-POFQ, June 2011-POFQ May 2012-POFQ, Oct. 2013-POFQ
Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #275
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygreb View Post

25th Wedding Anniversary May 23rd at The California Grill. Surprised husband with a 6inch marble cake with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla butter cream under fondant. The Mickey heads were solid milk and white chocolate and the silver buttons were chocolate candies
Cost $100

I emailed Brian a picture I drew and he made the cake from that. It was perfect and the cake was moist and tasty!

The whole evening was perfect we arrived at 7:45 for our 7:50 ADR and were seated immediately. Our waited did not rush us and the cake was delivered after Wishes along with complimentary champagne. We were there for 3 hours and the whole experience was wonderful and relaxing. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

ooooooooooo pretty!!! I remember your sketch...they did a really nice job. Sounds like it was a great anniversary meal! Happy Anniversary!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #276
MBELSANTI
Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!

Scout Mickey Cake?

HI

DS and I are staying at the Swan and for the most part all of our TS will be at Epcot, but we will also be doing dinner at Kona, Captains Grille and Garden Grove. I emailed concierge at Swan and they cannot do a Boyscout Mickey cake. I have the cutest clipart that I found that just shows Mickey wearing a khaki shirt, olive green shorts and a blue neckerchief. There are no trademarks or copyrights on the photo, but swan says they cannot make it. They said that they could do the Eagle Scout Emblem. I really want the Mickey dresses as a scout since we will be having a cake with Eagle Scout emblem on it when we have the ceremony part here at home. What do you think I should do, scrap the cake through the Swan and call Disney cake hotline? What would be the best restaurant to have it at? The Epcot TS we are doing are Le Cellier, Le Chefs, Via Napoli. I am down to a little over 2 weeks!

Swan 06/12; SSR 08/09;1st Trip Home! VWL 2/08; BCV/ BWV/Pop 08/08; Christmas/NYE BWV 12/08; Wilderness Lodge 7 Night Trip w/PP Party 8/07;
Magic 7 Day Cruise to 3 C's Including 2 stops to CC!!! 8/06;POP 8/04, 2/08, 8/08, 12/08;
Wonder 10/01,10/00,10/99;CBR 10/99; ASSports 10/01,10/00,9/99,9/97; Offsite 83; Contemporary 81,77,76,74,73,72
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #277
goofygreb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
ooooooooooo pretty!!! I remember your sketch...they did a really nice job. Sounds like it was a great anniversary meal! Happy Anniversary!
Thanks!

Oct.1997-Off site, Oct.1998-ASSP, Nov.1999-ASSP, Dec.2000- Dixie Landings,
Oct.2001-ASSP, Oct.2003-ASSP, Oct.2004-ASSP, July 2005-POFQ, Aug.2005-AKL,
Oct.2005-ASSP, Feb.2006-POFQ, Aug.2006-POFQ, May 2007-ASSP,
July 2007-POFQ, Nov.2007-POFQ, Aug. 2008-POFQ, Sept.2009-POFQ, Jan 2010-POFQ,
April 2010-POFQ, June 2011-POFQ May 2012-POFQ, Oct. 2013-POFQ
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #278
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Need help!

So I want to place 2 cake orders when we go in August. One for my oldest DD to celebrate her graduation - want to give it to her at Cape May and the other for my youngest DD to celebrate her birthday (she'll be 14) and we want to give it to her at O'Hana. I called the BC private dining line and asked about the mini wedding cake (individual) with the White chocolate castle on it - saw a posting here on the DIS. The woman I spoke to told me they can't do that. When I inquired why, she said the mini's aren't strong enough to hold the chocolate castle. I told her that they must be as I saw it posted - she was adamant they couldn't do it & told me the smallest I could get would be a 6" which I don't want. Any suggestions where else I should call? Can another bakery make it and bring it over? I know that two years ago, I ordered both my girls the white chocolate Cinderella slipper dessert and had them deliver it to Cape May and we had no issues - just can't remember where I called at that time.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #279
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBELSANTI View Post
DS and I are staying at the Swan and for the most part all of our TS will be at Epcot, but we will also be doing dinner at Kona, Captains Grille and Garden Grove. ... What do you think I should do, scrap the cake through the Swan and call Disney cake hotline? What would be the best restaurant to have it at? The Epcot TS we are doing are Le Cellier, Le Chefs, Via Napoli. I am down to a little over 2 weeks!
Scrap the cake through the Swan and call Disney. Your best bets for a fancy cake with the image you want are Kona (call the GF), Captain's Grille, and restaurants in Epcot (call Yacht & Beach Club). Phone numbers are in Post 2.

If you don't need a fancy cake and are OK with a super-market-style, whipped cream-covered cake with a screen print, you can get those by calling the Cake Hotline and following the prompts for Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I called the BC private dining line and asked about the mini wedding cake (individual) with the White chocolate castle on it - saw a posting here on the DIS. The woman I spoke to told me they can't do that. When I inquired why, she said the mini's aren't strong enough to hold the chocolate castle.
She thinks you want the $100 white chocolate wedding cake topper, which would indeed be too big for a mini cake:

What I'm guessing you mean is the tiny white chocolate topper offered only by the Grand Floridian:

It's called the "mini castle cake" and you have to be staying or dining at a place serviced by the Grand Floridian Bakery, which Yacht & Beach Club is not.

Do you have any ADRs at the GF or the Poly when you could have it delivered?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #280
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

What I'm guessing you mean is the tiny white chocolate topper offered only by the Grand Floridian:

It's called the "mini castle cake" and you have to be staying or dining at a place serviced by the Grand Floridian Bakery, which Yacht & Beach Club is not.

Do you have any ADRs at the GF or the Poly when you could have it delivered?[/QUOTE]

The mini castle cake is exactly what I wanted for my oldest. So the GF is the only place that will do that mini castle cake and they'll only deliver it to the Poly or GF? We do have an ADR at O'Hana but that's where I wanted to surprise my youngest with a Tinkerbell cake and for her, we wanted to order a 6" and go more elaborate to celebrate her b-day - I really wanted that night to be about my youngest.

Last edited by mommyrosa2; 06-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #281
kgleine
Mouseketeer

can you get the 6" cake (or mini cake at all) @ the contemp. in anything other than choc/vanilla podium cake? the 10" options sound so much better!!! but it is me my dh and our almost 3 yr old (this is his cake, since we will be there on his bd @ chef mickeys) 6" would probably be way too much for us, but that is the smallest i see. this is what we're putting on it (bec he wants a mickey mouse club house bday yay disney store for having this! we will just empty the bubbles prior) any other suggestions? we will be staying at aoa-lm in oct. also, who delivers cake to lecellier? our anniversary is oct 1 and i may want a tiny cake
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #282
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post

The mini castle cake is exactly what I wanted for my oldest. So the GF is the only place that will do that mini castle cake and they'll only deliver it to the Poly or GF?
Exactly. The only other ideas I have would be 1) See if you can order the minicake from GF private dining for pickup at Gasparilla Grill & Games. I have only ever heard of one person being able to do this, but it's worth a shot. Especially since you'll be ordering a fancy cake from them for Ohana. Maybe they'll take a shine to you!

Or, 2) If you have reservations at any of the places serviced by the Contemporary (see Post #2), contact the pastry chef at the Contemporary and see if there's a chance he has the mold for the mini castle topper. They do the white chocolate slipper (which used to be only available at the GF) so maybe they can get that one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgleine View Post
can you get the 6" cake (or mini cake at all) @ the contemp. in anything other than choc/vanilla podium cake? the 10" options sound so much better!!!
Yes. See Post # 2 of this thread for all the info.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #283
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I just ordered a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting cake online just a few minutes ago. I had called the cake hotline and followed the prompts and then within a matter of minutes I had an email with attachments for types of cakes and also an order form. Here is the email:magickingdomcakes.disney.com
It will cost $21 and I will add tax and tip. Good luck
Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #284
kgleine
Mouseketeer

it says nothing about 6" different flavors, just mini cakes. that seems so much for less cake, especially since i dont need decorations... boo.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #285
lurkyloo

Those are the flavors for the standard 6-inch cake. If you want a custom 6-inch cake, call the number and find out what flavors are available. The flavor list in Post #1 will give you somewhere to start from, but not all flavors are available at every location.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: