Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #256
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I'm looking for some advice here....if the taste of the cake is more important than the presentation, would any of you still order through Disney? We're going to be staying at the Beach Club this year on DH's birthday. We stay at Disney every single year during my birthday in January, but this is our first time ever going for his. I'd love to get a cake and make it extra special for him...the thing is, he's not one to be wowed by decorations and fondant work, and no Disney character could make him possibly more excited than the actual taste of the cake. Is it possible to order a cake with wedding-cake like flavors (not just chocolate/vanilla) with very minimal decor for a decent price? Or, with taste being the only priority, should I just forget the Disney idea and order from Publix like I do every year?
We've only ordered one WDW cake & it wasn't even comparable to Publix cakes. None of us ate more than a bit of the WDW cake. I actually think Publix makes the best cakes I've eaten. I love their buttercream frosting. :drool: We will probably order from WDW again, but I'll be better informed the next time. I'll also be expecting an inferior tasting cake for a lot more money. If we get lucky & get a great tasting cake, I'll consider it a bonus.
(")_(")

Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #257
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
We've only ordered one WDW cake & it wasn't even comparable to Publix cakes. None of us ate more than a bit of the WDW cake. I actually think Publix makes the best cakes I've eaten. I love their buttercream frosting. :drool: We will probably order from WDW again, but I'll be better informed the next time. I'll also be expecting an inferior tasting cake for a lot more money. If we get lucky & get a great tasting cake, I'll consider it a bonus.
Hearing all this makes me wonder if I should just do 2 mini cakes for the birthday girls...and the rest of us can get dessert...hmmm, thoughts anyone??

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #258
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

I actually prefer Disney's minicakes. I think they have a better frosting-to-cake ratio (but I'm a big frosting fan!). However, they can be pretty pricey, so you may not end up saving that much, especially if you're also paying for the adults' desserts.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #259
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavArmy View Post
Hearing all this makes me wonder if I should just do 2 mini cakes for the birthday girls...and the rest of us can get dessert...hmmm, thoughts anyone??
I think the important thing to think about here is that they are two different kinds of cakes and buttercreams and there are just lots of ways to make these kinds of things that may or may not appeal to everyone's tastes.

Publix uses a high ratio shortening based buttercream typically only commerically offered by a company called Brill. i.e. sold in about 45lb tubs for about $65-85 + shipping. It's popular with a lot of supermarkets b/c it keeps longer and is fairly easy to pipe. i.e. some of the butter based buttercream recipes aren't cost effective for them.

As for the actual cake...most of the supermarket cakes are from a mix. Nothing wrong with that...it just usually makes a lighter fluffy cake that's more along the lines with the texture and flavor profiles we all probably had as kids for cakes on bdays and other home events. The WDW cakes aren't as dense as my fave from scratch recipes (but moreso than a supermarket cake), but I've found that most bakers who work w/fondant and do any kind of sculpting or stacking tend to modify their recipes to produce something more dense so that it holds up.

All this being said- we enjoyed our cake and will be ordering another. Their buttercream used to glue the fondant to the cake was closer to supermarket buttercream than mine (not a bad thing, just different) and their fondant had a nice sweetness, flavor, and mouthfeel (i.e. unlike the horrible flavor and texture of Wilton and the awful mouthfeel of brands like Fondariffic).

The reality is that a WDW cake is going to set you back more than a Publix cake in most cases...so if you think you'd like the taste of the Publix cake better- and they are YUM - that might be the better route to go.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #260
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
Publix uses a high ratio shortening based buttercream typically only commerically offered by a company called Brill. i.e. sold in about 45lb tubs for about $65-85 + shipping. It's popular with a lot of supermarkets b/c it keeps longer and is fairly easy to pipe. i.e. some of the butter based buttercream recipes aren't cost effective for them.

As for the actual cake...most of the supermarket cakes are from a mix. Nothing wrong with that...it just usually makes a lighter fluffy cake that's more along the lines with the texture and flavor profiles we all probably had as kids for cakes on bdays and other home events. The WDW cakes aren't as dense as my fave from scratch recipes (but moreso than a supermarket cake), but I've found that most bakers who work w/fondant and do any kind of sculpting or stacking tend to modify their recipes to produce something more dense so that it holds up.
I must like cake mixes better then. Really it's not the cake I like so much at Publix. It's the icing. I don't know where any of them get their buttercream frosting, but I've eaten cakes from several different supermarket chains in different east coast/southeast locations, Sam's & Costco. No ones buttercream is like Publix. IMO, Publix has the best cakes I've ever ordered from a bakery that wasn't a small local bakery. If they all get their buttercream from the same place, Publix adds something to theirs. Everyone else needs to call them up & ask what the secret ingredient is. As with all things, it's personal taste. Everyone may not love it more than others, but I've never had anyone not enjoy the Publix cakes I've served. With WDW, it's luck of the draw. Some have reported receiving delicious cakes. Others, like us, received cakes that weren't edible. If you're willing to pay a lot, Disney's cakes can be beautiful though.
(")_(")

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #261
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
I must like cake mixes better then. Really it's not the cake I like so much at Publix. It's the icing. I don't know where any of them get their buttercream frosting, but I've eaten cakes from several different supermarket chains in different east coast/southeast locations, Sam's & Costco. No ones buttercream is like Publix. IMO, Publix has the best cakes I've ever ordered from a bakery that wasn't a small local bakery. If they all get their buttercream from the same place, Publix adds something to theirs. Everyone else needs to call them up & ask what the secret ingredient is. As with all things, it's personal taste. Everyone may not love it more than others, but I've never had anyone not enjoy the Publix cakes I've served. With WDW, it's luck of the draw. Some have reported receiving delicious cakes. Others, like us, received cakes that weren't edible. If you're willing to pay a lot, Disney's cakes can be beautiful though.
I think a lot of people like mixes. I'm not a fan of any of the non-chocolate mixes, but some of my fave homemade cakes are semi-from scratch involving boxed chocolate cake mix. Publix probably does do something different with theirs...i.e. adding flavorings, extra sugar, etc.- sort of the semi-homemade approach. It's one of the best tricks to baking! The commericial brands also change their recipes here and there, so the chains using them sometimes modify them post formula change to closely resemble the previous incarnation. Brill is also in GA from what I remember reading, so w/Publix being a FL chain- it might be easier for them to get that brand being one state over.

On a funny related Publix note...I remember my brother calling me to express his guilt...their local Publix had to get rid of mass amounts of frosting b/c the supplier was changing the recipe...so they were just selling off tubs of frosting. He doesn't really bake but he bought in bulk

Having made my share of cake wrecks...I also fully believe it when people get inedible cakes. It happens...I mean, I wouldn't sell it or even show it to my friends...but it happens. I do a lot of test flavors and have to fight humidity- so that's my excuse

But I think from a cost and flavor perspective...Publix is a good bang for the buck and seems consistent...so, it might be a great alternative if you're not looking for fondant, gumpaste, royal icing, etc. level decor. Seriously- rule #1 THE CAKE MUST taste good. And if you've had a bad WDW experience or are scared from some of the experiences of others- you have to go with your gut on this. I was thankful to get a good cake and will be getting another- but will write it off if our next cake is not as good.

OK...I think I'm going to have to ask my mom to pick up a Publix belated bday cake for us after we leave WDW and drive down to their house. One of several things I missed about living in FL.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #262
BlueAurora
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Tutto Italia & Via Napoli — 407-560-8040
  • 6-inch $21 cake in all-chocolate or all-vanilla
  • 8-inch $32 cake in tiramisu, chocolate mousse or strawberry shortcake
  • 10-inch $45 cake, same options as 8-inch
Thanks for all the great info and pictures on this thread! I'm a little confused about the information on the first page. Can I order a mini wedding cake from the Yacht/Beach Club bakery to be delivered at Via Napoli? Or can I only get the cakes listed above at that restaurant?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #263
sexyravenfan
Steamed Crabs, O's, and Natty Bohs

So I want to order a two tiered mini cake for the day we check in at POR. I just call our resort and order it through them and it will be ready to pick up at the food court bakery? The cake will come from the Boardwalk Bakery? Last time we ordered an 8" cake at POR they lost the order and then we rearranged for a time to be there to have it and they wrote the wrong date down again! I'm hoping for smooth sailing this time. Can anyone tell me what kind of options I can choose from?

October 2012-POR
August 2010-POR
August 2008-POR
July 2005-POR
July 2002-POR
June 1998-DxL
June 1994-DxL
September 1990-FW

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #264
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAurora View Post
Thanks for all the great info and pictures on this thread! I'm a little confused about the information on the first page. Can I order a mini wedding cake from the Yacht/Beach Club bakery to be delivered at Via Napoli? Or can I only get the cakes listed above at that restaurant?
At the moment, Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining seems to be open to delivering to restaurants in Epcot, so yes! The cakes listed in that quote are the standard options you would get if you called Via Napoli directly. Y&BC is who you contact if you want something fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyravenfan View Post
So I want to order a two tiered mini cake for the day we check in at POR. I just call our resort and order it through them and it will be ready to pick up at the food court bakery? The cake will come from the Boardwalk Bakery?
Yes! And if you get someone really nice, they might offer to deliver it to your room. But since there's no room service department there, I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyravenfan View Post
Last time we ordered an 8" cake at POR they lost the order and then we rearranged for a time to be there to have it and they wrote the wrong date down again! I'm hoping for smooth sailing this time. Can anyone tell me what kind of options I can choose from?
Check out Post #2 of this thread, which lists all the options by location (in your case, you want to look at BoardWalk Inn), or just click HERE.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #265
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Another nut free, dairy free option

I'm new to the whole allergy world, having found out about two weeks ago that dd, 2 has a peanut allergy. I had to rethink my 40th birthday cake options. Brian was going to make me a nut free cake for Tony's. We wouldn't have it on my bday but at MNSSHP. I could also use BAbycakes and have it at our villa. Wasn't a big fan of Babycakes' $75 price tag, esp when I've heard mixed reviews about their product. Anyway....I found a company called Divvies that delivers cupcakes any where in the US or Canada. They will deliver cupcakes to our hotel on any day I specify. They look fabulous and they get terrific reviews. They are also much cheaper. They arrive uniced with all the necessary decorations and icings. My kids will have a blast decorating them. It may not be for everyone, but I think it's a great option. Enjoy!!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #266
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Time to Order!

I'm waiting for the official word tomorrow to confirm DH will be graduating from his program, and figure this weekend will be a good time so start emailing/calling about the cakes!!!

Yet another question - Are they limited to specific 'styles' of characters for the cakes? Like, Traditional Mickey or Standard Goofy? The reason I ask is I have found a few pins and images of an Aviator Mickey (goggles, jacket, scarf, thumbs up) that I was wondering would be feasible. The images are Disney - the pins and the classic cartoon sketches - but I wasn't sure if they were limited to a specific style of character (like the sketch artists in DtD seem to be)

Also, for DD's mini cake, I was going to offer a theme (Rapunzel and/or lanterns). Is that okay or should I try to come up with something more specific? I'm really easy-going about her cake (for her the thrill will be the Illuminations Cruise) but didn't know if they tend to prefer more guidance.

Thanks and SOOOOOO excited that my little Figment is almost to the Sorcerer's hat!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #267
BlueAurora
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
At the moment, Yacht & Beach Club Private Dining seems to be open to delivering to restaurants in Epcot, so yes! The cakes listed in that quote are the standard options you would get if you called Via Napoli directly. Y&BC is who you contact if you want something fancy.
Awesome news! Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #268
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I'm looking for some advice here....if the taste of the cake is more important than the presentation, would any of you still order through Disney? We're going to be staying at the Beach Club this year on DH's birthday. We stay at Disney every single year during my birthday in January, but this is our first time ever going for his. I'd love to get a cake and make it extra special for him...the thing is, he's not one to be wowed by decorations and fondant work, and no Disney character could make him possibly more excited than the actual taste of the cake. Is it possible to order a cake with wedding-cake like flavors (not just chocolate/vanilla) with very minimal decor for a decent price? Or, with taste being the only priority, should I just forget the Disney idea and order from Publix like I do every year?
Taste is such a subjective thing... I like Disney cakes far better than any grocery store cake I've ever tried, including our local independent grocery that does wedding cake like flavors and fancier decor. Disney cakes are more like what you get from a "real" (dedicated) bakery, a little denser, the icing sweeter/less buttery, etc.

We haven't done any character or elaborately decorated cakes - our first two Disney birthday cakes were vanilla cake with fresh strawberries in Bavarian cream filling, the first with white buttercream icing the second with chocolate ganache, both from the Grand Floridian bakery. The most recent was vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse and buttercream from the Contemporary. All three were delicious, though the second wasn't quite up to the standards of the first. I was most happy with the third, in terms of flavor, price, and design. I'm actually uploading a pic of it now and will post in a minute.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #269
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

My birthday cake:

The specifics:

mini-cake from Contemporary bakery, delivered to the California Grill on 5/27
vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling
buttercream icing with no specific design request, just "something whimsical in Figment colors"
$40 plus tax and tip

The review:
Our best Disney cake experience thus far. The cake to icing ratio on these mini-cakes is perfect in my opinion, and the tangy-tart passion fruit was an amazing balance to the sweeter buttercream and the little candy flowers. There's not a whole lot of actual cake, but what there was was moist and an excellent vehicle for the filling & icing. I was very happy with the overall look of the cake as well. The colors are a bit distorted in the picture, it was sunset at a window table and I wasn't playing with my white balance to get better shots, but the purple/orange/yellow was just what I had in mind. This size cake is supposed to feed two, but after a nice dinner it was plenty for the four of us (my mother & I, a light-eater 10yo, and a 3yo). After two good-but-not-great experiences with the Grand Floridian bakery, this cake taught me something - from now on, birthday dinners will be at the Contemporary!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #270
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
My birthday cake:

The specifics:

mini-cake from Contemporary bakery, delivered to the California Grill on 5/27
vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling
buttercream icing with no specific design request, just "something whimsical in Figment colors"
$40 plus tax and tip

The review:
Our best Disney cake experience thus far. The cake to icing ratio on these mini-cakes is perfect in my opinion, and the tangy-tart passion fruit was an amazing balance to the sweeter buttercream and the little candy flowers. There's not a whole lot of actual cake, but what there was was moist and an excellent vehicle for the filling & icing. I was very happy with the overall look of the cake as well. The colors are a bit distorted in the picture, it was sunset at a window table and I wasn't playing with my white balance to get better shots, but the purple/orange/yellow was just what I had in mind. This size cake is supposed to feed two, but after a nice dinner it was plenty for the four of us (my mother & I, a light-eater 10yo, and a 3yo). After two good-but-not-great experiences with the Grand Floridian bakery, this cake taught me something - from now on, birthday dinners will be at the Contemporary!
I really like the color combo - very pretty We were also big fans of the passion fruit mousse- YUM!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: