Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #2671
Susiec
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
What did this run and what was the cost

Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2672
kohler2009
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
We were very pleased with our Peter Pan cake from Chef Brian we got for our now 3 year old's birthday! We were quoted $50 for the two tier mini cake, chocolate with peanut butter mousse filling. I can't find my receipt, but with tax, gratuity (which I was automatically charged 18%) and delivery to our room at Wilderness Lodge it was about $65. The only hiccup is that we'd ordered the cake to be delivered between 2-3pm so it would be in the room when we got back. They don't start deliveries until 4 so by the time we got it the birthday boy was napping. Needles to say we didn't tackle it till after dinner so it had melted a wee bit and we took half of it home! But it made for a tasty treat when we got home!
This is EXACTLY what I need to get for by DHs birthday! Thanks for posting!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2673
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiec View Post
What did this run and what was the cost
Umm... I think $40? $35 base price for the mini-cake and $5 for a custom flavor combo.

ETA: I went back and found the short review I posted at the time. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=269

Quote:
The specifics:

mini-cake from Contemporary bakery, delivered to the California Grill on 5/27
vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling
buttercream icing with no specific design request, just "something whimsical in Figment colors"
$40 plus tax and tip

The review:
Our best Disney cake experience thus far. The cake to icing ratio on these mini-cakes is perfect in my opinion, and the tangy-tart passion fruit was an amazing balance to the sweeter buttercream and the little candy flowers. There's not a whole lot of actual cake, but what there was was moist and an excellent vehicle for the filling & icing. I was very happy with the overall look of the cake as well. The colors are a bit distorted in the picture, it was sunset at a window table and I wasn't playing with my white balance to get better shots, but the purple/orange/yellow was just what I had in mind. This size cake is supposed to feed two, but after a nice dinner it was plenty for the four of us (my mother & I, a light-eater 10yo, and a 3yo). After two good-but-not-great experiences with the Grand Floridian bakery, this cake taught me something - from now on, birthday dinners will be at the Contemporary!

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #2674
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Looking for a little help from the cake experts.

First, we are staying at BCV on our upcoming vacation. I am already in talks with YC/BC Private Dining to create a cake celebrating my 30th birthday (actual date was in mid August but we will be celebrating while there the first week in September). If I have it brought to the room by room service rather than a restaurant an 18% service charge will be added right? Am I expected to tip on top of that? If I get my dream cake 18% extra won't be cheap to add on top of that but perhaps the convenience is worth it (I would have to rearrange my ADRs to eat at a date at YC/BC close to when I originally wanted to get it, but it would still be several days off from my perfect delivery date).

Second, I am planning to get a white chocolate 3-D Donald on top of the cake - I can either have it fully hand painted or just touched with a little gold. I found the picture of a fully painted Donald, but was wondering if anyone had a quick link to any of the gold touched characters (doesn't have to be Donald)? Or at the least words I could search the boards for to find a picture? The difference in price between the two is $115 so even though I love love love the fully hand painted Donald, I am not sure I love it for $115 more!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!!!

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #2675
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasadchick View Post

Not to big, it was an 8"
I guess the picture made it look bigger

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #2676
kimmy85
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
Looking for a little help from the cake experts.

Second, I am planning to get a white chocolate 3-D Donald on top of the cake - I can either have it fully hand painted or just touched with a little gold. I found the picture of a fully painted Donald, but was wondering if anyone had a quick link to any of the gold touched characters (doesn't have to be Donald)? Or at the least words I could search the boards for to find a picture? The difference in price between the two is $115 so even though I love love love the fully hand painted Donald, I am not sure I love it for $115 more!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!!!
Hello-

I am definitely not a cake expert (as I am ordering for the first time myself in 2 weeks), I did find two images of the white chocolate Donald on another site. One is gold touchups and the other appears to be fully painted.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/w...e-talk.863023/

It is more than halfway down the first page - there are pictures of cakes listed alphabetically by character.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2677
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I've ready through the last 20 pages or so and I am in cake overload.

I am thinking of ordering a birthday cake for my 3 yo DS to be delivered to Chef Mickey's on our arrival day. I would like something Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed. I am not interested in fondant and would like to keep the cost down with either a 6 or 8 inch cake.

Can I get one of the stand up 2D images? Are these only certain images or will they work with me to find an image? Any idea of the general cost?

If I don't go with one of the 2D stand ups, is there anyway to make a cake more 3D without going all out? Ordinarily I choose Decopac type things so there is a little toy/figure on the cake, but I understand that is not possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #2678
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
I know in March I contacted the Contemporary directly..but I thought I read in this thread recently that now you call the cake hotline for the contemporary as well? Just want to double check the procedure!
Other way around: You call the Cake Hotline for Magic Kingdom cakes now, even though they are made by the Contemporary. You can still call the Contemporary directly for cakes to be delivered to the resorts it services, just not the MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
First, we are staying at BCV on our upcoming vacation. I am already in talks with YC/BC Private Dining to create a cake celebrating my 30th birthday (actual date was in mid August but we will be celebrating while there the first week in September). If I have it brought to the room by room service rather than a restaurant an 18% service charge will be added right? Am I expected to tip on top of that?
The room service charge includes gratuity, and yes, it will be assessed on the cake if you have it delivered to the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post

Can I get one of the stand up 2D images? Are these only certain images or will they work with me to find an image? Any idea of the general cost?
Yes. They will choose an image unless you send one in. The cost is usually rolled into the price of the cake, but I'm thinking it's not more than about $15. Otherwise, I'd just bring my own 3-D figures and tell them to leave space to put them on the cake.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2679
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Other way around: You call the Cake Hotline for Magic Kingdom cakes now, even though they are made by the Contemporary. You can still call the Contemporary directly for cakes to be delivered to the resorts it services, just not the MK.
Thank you for the clarification! I'm hoping to get a cake for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern, so I guess I'll be calling the Cake Hotline this time!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2680
lurkyloo

Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #2681
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

After years of reading these cake threads, I'm finally ordering one! I called the cake hot line & ordered a 2 tier mini wedding cake. We're celebrating our 35th anniversary with next month, so I'm surprising DH during our dinner at Yachtsman's Steakhouse. Ordered chocolate cake/ chocolate buttercream/ dark chocolate mousse filling ( I know- chocolate overload- but that's his favorite cake combo!)

We have the Tables in Wonderland card. I decided to get it at a dinner instead of delivering to room, so I can get the discount. We are also doing dinner at Citrico's. Trying to decide if I should order 1 there too & compare.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #2682
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
It was vanilla, with vanilla buttercream frosting, no special filling, just the vanilla frosting between the layers. I didn't request a special filling, so I'm not sure what is available. I ordered it about ten days before our trip, using the number on the first page of this thread. I was quoted $35 and that's what the final cost was. They added it to my bill at Crystal Palace. I wasn't crazy over feeling obligated to tip 18% of the cake cost, but oh well, I did anyway.

They supplied the candle and lit it for us. I didn't even think to bring a candle.

The servers made a fuss over the cake. DD enjoyed the extra attention. Even Tigger came over to see what was going on.

The cake is perfect! I've been trying to figure out what to do for my turning 3 year olds bday. We will be at crystal Palace the day before her bday for lunch so something like this would be perfect. Did you tell them you wanted pink and the ears? Great pic!

Last edited by LauraJean; 08-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #2683
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJean View Post
The cake is perfect! I've been trying to figure out what to do for my turning 3 year olds bday. We will be at crystal Palace the day before her bday for lunch so something like this would be perfect. Did you tell them you wanted pink and the ears? Great pic!
Yes. I asked for pink frosting and told the CM who took my order that I'd seen plenty of Mickey ears but was wondering if they could make Minnie ears. She said they could. We were happy with the cake. It was very pretty.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #2684
phoj69
Earning My Ears

Ok so I couldn't figure out how to add pics to this post but I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I recently sent in a request to have a cake made up for my wife for her birthday which was suppose to be brought out at the 50's prime time on her birthday. Now I sent in a couple of pictures of our wedding cake and asked to have a mini version of it done. Just two layers and nothing really fancy. This was my exact request to Disney.

Looking to have it 2 tiered with a vanilla cake on the bottom with strawberry filling and on top a chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I would like it covered in whipped cream as well as have the piping of the dots that form the diamond pattern with red tops on the tips of the diamonds. What I also wanted to take from the demo picture cake was the little Mickey hat on top with chocolate if you could do this.

So I sent in a picture of the size I was looking for as well which was basically a little bigger than cupcakes size. I was quoted $150. That sounds really high to me. Any opinions on this because I really want to do this but that is just too expensive after everything else we will be sending. help please
Old 08-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #2685
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoj69 View Post
Ok so I couldn't figure out how to add pics to this post but I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I recently sent in a request to have a cake made up for my wife for her birthday which was suppose to be brought out at the 50's prime time on her birthday. Now I sent in a couple of pictures of our wedding cake and asked to have a mini version of it done. Just two layers and nothing really fancy. This was my exact request to Disney.

Looking to have it 2 tiered with a vanilla cake on the bottom with strawberry filling and on top a chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I would like it covered in whipped cream as well as have the piping of the dots that form the diamond pattern with red tops on the tips of the diamonds. What I also wanted to take from the demo picture cake was the little Mickey hat on top with chocolate if you could do this.

So I sent in a picture of the size I was looking for as well which was basically a little bigger than cupcakes size. I was quoted $150. That sounds really high to me. Any opinions on this because I really want to do this but that is just too expensive after everything else we will be sending. help please
Do they know you want a mini cake? Because they normally don't let you do two different combos of cake and filling in a mini cake, so I'm thinking they are quoting you for a full-size 2-tier cake with a 10-inch on the bottom and a 6-inch on the top ($150 is actually a pretty good price for something that size!).
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: