Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #2581
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Okay, think I've got my birthday plans nailed down!!! This year it's on Friday the 13th I have two inspiration pictures I want to send to the bakery, we are eating at the Flying Fish on my birthday, since it is so close to Boardwalk Bakery, should I just ask to pick up my cake and carry it to the restaurant? We plan to eat it there after dinner...or should I pick it up another night and partake in the Flying Fish desserts? We're staying at POR, so figured best cake option would be from Boardwalk Bakery? I'm just planning on ordering a 6" for our family, so we won't have to carry any home..thanks!!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #2582
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post

We've actually had the passion fruit before...and it's VERY YUMMY However, we also usually only order cakes through the Contemporary. The one time I worked with Pat, she tried to pull the whole flavor thing ... it took some back and forth, but we wound up getting what we wanted. Still, it was a very frustrating process.
Thanks for sharing. She has not seemed the easiest to work with from out past conversations so I hope I can get the flavors that I want. Good to know the passion is yummy . I am going to be ordering a 6 inch for 3 adults and my DS2. I know we will have leftovers, but that is okay we can snack on it for the rest of the week. Can't wait to hear about your cakes and see pictures too! I am having a really hard time coming up with what to do for my DH's cake.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #2583
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelFloyd View Post
Thanks Lurkyloo, those are precious. Any idea how much the bucket or chest are, so cute
You know, they didn't have any prices, but I would imagine they'd be on the higher end... Maybe $35 or $40 each?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Okay, think I've got my birthday plans nailed down!!! This year it's on Friday the 13th I have two inspiration pictures I want to send to the bakery, we are eating at the Flying Fish on my birthday, since it is so close to Boardwalk Bakery, should I just ask to pick up my cake and carry it to the restaurant? We plan to eat it there after dinner...or should I pick it up another night and partake in the Flying Fish desserts? We're staying at POR, so figured best cake option would be from Boardwalk Bakery? I'm just planning on ordering a 6" for our family, so we won't have to carry any home..thanks!!
Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a dessert at Flying Fish that was better than a bakery cake. And I'd definitely have them deliver it to the restaurant. Why hassle with it when they'll do it for free?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #2584
Eliza'sMom
Mouseketeer

So has anyone ordered from AKL recently? I feel like I've read not-great things, but that's where we're staying on our upcoming trip. Our anniversary falls on a day when we have no ADRs, and the ones we do have other days don't seem like great times to get a cake, so i was thinking I'd order one from the resort. Anyone have reviews?

Our Disney trips together:
October 2005: Honeymoon at CSR December 2006: Got a pin code we couldn't resist and headed to POFQ June 2007: Big family vacation off-site December 2007: Babymoon at POFQ December 2009: Ellie's first trip, our first trip as DVC members at BWV April 2010: Mike's 30th and Ellie's 2nd birthday celebration at Pop/AKV September/October 2010: BWV for MNSSHP and Harry Potter April 2011: A week at Jambo House before Ellie turns 3 May 2012: Back to AKV for baby's 1st trip to Disney! Nov/Dec 2012: Our first Disney cruise! Plus AOA, BLT and BWV -- whew! October 2013: Fall fun at Jambo House March/April 2014: Spring break at BWV/VWL January 2015: AOA and BLT
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #2585
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a dessert at Flying Fish that was better than a bakery cake. And I'd definitely have them deliver it to the restaurant. Why hassle with it when they'll do it for free?
Thanks! I did not know they'd deliver it for free! That is awesome!! Thanks so much for all the helps here! Really helps make a special day special!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #2586
theburkes
Learning the WDW ropes

Going to be ordering 2 cakes tomorrow and 1 Donald white chocolate figure for Sept. Celebrating DH and my 10 year anniversary at CRT and am going to have a mini cake delivered to my DH. My in-laws will be meeting us there (they live in FL) and they are celebraing their 50th anniversary! Going to have a 6" cake delivered to Coral Reef in Epcot. Looks like they have a new pastry chef so I hope it comes out well! Looks like I order that one through YC.

Thanks for all the info on this thread and I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #2587
skuttle
Counting the days until our next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza'sMom View Post
So has anyone ordered from AKL recently? I feel like I've read not-great things, but that's where we're staying on our upcoming trip. Our anniversary falls on a day when we have no ADRs, and the ones we do have other days don't seem like great times to get a cake, so i was thinking I'd order one from the resort. Anyone have reviews?
We stayed at kidani the week of July 4th and had a Mickey head cake delivered to our room for our son's 10th birthday. I thought the cake was good. But we didn't order anything fancy like some people do!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #2588
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
Thanks for sharing. She has not seemed the easiest to work with from out past conversations so I hope I can get the flavors that I want. Good to know the passion is yummy . I am going to be ordering a 6 inch for 3 adults and my DS2. I know we will have leftovers, but that is okay we can snack on it for the rest of the week. Can't wait to hear about your cakes and see pictures too! I am having a really hard time coming up with what to do for my DH's cake.
It's unfortunate they sometimes make it so tough b/c they really do put out nice cakes at the GF. It is at least worth trying for the passion fruit mousse. We paired it with red velvet b/c we were getting a red & yellow themed Belle cake and I had this wacky idea that the cake would be red/yellow both inside and out.

I'll likely post my cake sketches once I've gotten the green light on my designs from the Contemporary. I do custom cakes on the side, so my brain is constantly in cake idea mode. Is there any particular theme, ride or character your DH likes?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #2589
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!

Spoke with the Contemporary bakery yesterday. I ordered two cakes for our Artist Point reservation next Tuesday. Our 25th wedding anniversary a 2 tier mini wedding cake. Chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Silver Mickey heads stamped on the sides. Second cake for my sons' birthdays. A 6 inch yellow cake chocolate ganache with a Donald theme. A painted white chocolate Donald on top. $91 for the Donald cake. $31 for the cake $10 for the chocolate ganache and $50 for Donald. I didn't write down the price for the mini cake but I think she said $38. I ordered the cakes for early in the trip so we have the left overs. Since we are staying at VWL we will walk it back to the room before heading out for a Wishes Cruise.
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL10/2015 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #2590
Kenai1972
Earning My Ears

I was wondering how hard it was to have a cake delivered to POR? I would like to do a villians theme and have it delivered on our arrival day in October.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2591
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post

It's unfortunate they sometimes make it so tough b/c they really do put out nice cakes at the GF. It is at least worth trying for the passion fruit mousse. We paired it with red velvet b/c we were getting a red & yellow themed Belle cake and I had this wacky idea that the cake would be red/yellow both inside and out.

I'll likely post my cake sketches once I've gotten the green light on my designs from the Contemporary. I do custom cakes on the side, so my brain is constantly in cake idea mode. Is there any particular theme, ride or character your DH likes?
That sounds really cute. As far as my DH cake. I was thinking I just wanted a birthday theme with the fab 5 and have it decorated with some balloons, streamers and confetti (maybe those out of fondant). I just want it bright and fun. The other idea I had was Partysaurus Rex from the Toy Story short. I would love any input or fought you might have. Was looking for a 6 inch cake. I have not decided if I want it covered in fondant or buttercream yet. Thanks so so much.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2592
theburkes
Learning the WDW ropes

Help!

I tried to just order a fancy cake (not fondont) to be delivered to Coral Reef but was told I really couldn't get anything too fancy in a 6" cake. There will only be 5 of us so we're really not wanting anything bigger. I was told it would just be a standard, couldn't choose anyother cake flavor/ filling. I was told I could get an 8" with personalized writing but still was unable to order cake with any flowers, etc. on it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can do? It's for my in-laws 50th anniversary and we want something nice. Should I maybe order from Contemporary, Grand Floridian, etc. pick it up and take it in? Kinda stumped with this. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #2593
Kallie724
Mouseketeer

I haven't read through this thread yet so this is probably already answered but if someone can answer it for me that would be great!

We are going to be celebrating my DD's 6th birthday while we are there. One night we were planning on having a cake for her. I saw that you can order what they call podium cakes? We want to celebrate her bday at Akershus. Does anyone have a picture of what the podium cake looks like there? Can they write her name on it at all?

I've never done this before so I'm just trying to see what is offered and what it will look like.

TIA!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #2594
kimmy85
PROUD US ARMY MOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie724 View Post
I haven't read through this thread yet so this is probably already answered but if someone can answer it for me that would be great!

We are going to be celebrating my DD's 6th birthday while we are there. One night we were planning on having a cake for her. I saw that you can order what they call podium cakes? We want to celebrate her bday at Akershus. Does anyone have a picture of what the podium cake looks like there? Can they write her name on it at all?

I've never done this before so I'm just trying to see what is offered and what it will look like.

TIA!
If you click on the first page of this thread (I agree - very long), lurkyloo has posted a FAQ regarding cakes by location. There are also links to pictures as well. Maybe that might help?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #2595
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburkes View Post
I tried to just order a fancy cake (not fondont) to be delivered to Coral Reef but was told I really couldn't get anything too fancy in a 6" cake. There will only be 5 of us so we're really not wanting anything bigger. I was told it would just be a standard, couldn't choose anyother cake flavor/ filling. I was told I could get an 8" with personalized writing but still was unable to order cake with any flowers, etc. on it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can do? It's for my in-laws 50th anniversary and we want something nice. Should I maybe order from Contemporary, Grand Floridian, etc. pick it up and take it in? Kinda stumped with this. Thanks!
Did you call the number on the front page of this thread listed for Epcot or did you go through the cake hotline or how did you reach them? I am will be placing an order for a cake in the next few days, but am still deciding between BC/YC where we will be staying or for dinner at Epcot. I was planning to order an 8 inch cake but wanted it to be fondant covered and fancy, so now I am concerned!!!!

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: