Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #226
smkohn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Having read these threads for about 6 years now, I can say that people have had good and bad experiences with all three places. My take:
  • The Grand Floridian charges the most and does the fanciest stuff, but the customer service experience varies widely—some people have no trouble getting exactly what they want, others are treated as though they asked for the moon and offered very few options.
  • The Contemporary has the best prices on custom cakes and can do very elaborate cakes as long as you are specific about what you want. You also get to work directly with the pastry chef via email.
  • BoardWalk Bakery has not turned out as many fancy cakes historically but can rise to the occasion when asked. Prices fall between the Contemporary's and the GF's. Fewer flavor options may be available.

Thanks for all the info. I'm kind of leaning towards ordering from the Contemporary, I just like the fact that if I order it to our room at Boardwalk there is no transporting it back or carrying it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
That's the "small" sandcastle cake topper, which costs $165.
Well, I'd say that's probably out then... Too bad, I have pretty much fallen in love with it
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #227
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to pop on and report my experience ordering a cake for our upcoming trip. Called the Contemporary yesterday and left a message, and they called back this morning. I didn't write down the name of the CM I spoke to, but she was very helpful. She explained the celebration cakes but didn't push them, and when I told her I wanted a mini wedding cake she was familiar with what I wanted and knowledgeable about the options and size. There will be 4 of us for dinner and she advised us that the cake only serves 2, but I know my girls are going to want CG's rice crispy sushi and we can't tote leftovers along because we'll be headed to the MK for a 3am EMH close after dinner. I think the mini cake will be the perfect size for my mother and I, who are both celebrating our birthdays with this one "splurge" dinner on an otherwise budget trip. She also double checked with the bakery to make sure they could do the particular flavor I wanted, and was very cheery about it, telling me she learned something new today. All in all it was a much smoother ordering process than ordering from the rather surly staff at GF for my kids' birthday trips back in '07 and '08!

So this is what I ordered - two-tier mini wedding cake, with vanilla cake, passion fruit mousse filling, buttercream frosting, bright decor in Figment's colors. The total price is $40, which is quite a jump from back in '07/8 when I paid $40 for a 10" cake but still not outrageous (after all, we'd have spent $25ish on two regular desserts at CG), and $5 of that is the upcharge for a custom flavor combination. I'll post pics when we get home.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #228
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I just wanted to pop on and report my experience ordering a cake for our upcoming trip. Called the Contemporary yesterday and left a message, and they called back this morning. I didn't write down the name of the CM I spoke to, but she was very helpful. She explained the celebration cakes but didn't push them, and when I told her I wanted a mini wedding cake she was familiar with what I wanted and knowledgeable about the options and size. There will be 4 of us for dinner and she advised us that the cake only serves 2, but I know my girls are going to want CG's rice crispy sushi and we can't tote leftovers along because we'll be headed to the MK for a 3am EMH close after dinner. I think the mini cake will be the perfect size for my mother and I, who are both celebrating our birthdays with this one "splurge" dinner on an otherwise budget trip. She also double checked with the bakery to make sure they could do the particular flavor I wanted, and was very cheery about it, telling me she learned something new today. All in all it was a much smoother ordering process than ordering from the rather surly staff at GF for my kids' birthday trips back in '07 and '08!

So this is what I ordered - two-tier mini wedding cake, with vanilla cake, passion fruit mousse filling, buttercream frosting, bright decor in Figment's colors. The total price is $40, which is quite a jump from back in '07/8 when I paid $40 for a 10" cake but still not outrageous (after all, we'd have spent $25ish on two regular desserts at CG), and $5 of that is the upcharge for a custom flavor combination. I'll post pics when we get home.

I'm excited to see how this turns out!! I'm glad the ordering went smoothly. We will be ordering from the Contemporary as well (not for a couple of months), but it makes me feel better that it all went so easily. I'm looking forward to pictures, have fun!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #229
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

I just ordered this week from the Contmeporary, too! Brian was great to work with, and I'm so excited to see what he comes up with for DD's birthday. The CM who answered the private dining line (who told me her name, but I have now forgotten) was excellent as well. I can't wait to see DD's reaction to her cake!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #230
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, I guess I have to call someone tomorrow for a cake as Eric never called me back Not sure who to call, but, for sure I won't call him..

Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #231
MissDisney121
DIS Veteran

I finally got a hold of someone and ordered a cake. I went simple with a vanilla 8" cake that says "Happy 28th Anniversary" with purple writing and trim which were my parents wedding colors.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #232
disney minnie
DIS Veteran

Rapunzel cake

My daughter wants a Rapunzel cake for her 7th birthday in November. I haven't seen any pictures of Rapunzel cakes. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #233
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney minnie View Post
My daughter wants a Rapunzel cake for her 7th birthday in November. I haven't seen any pictures of Rapunzel cakes. Does anyone have any ideas?
Well, my dream Rapunzel cake involves sculpting the tower; however, that's a pretty extreme cake and I haven't seen any of the WDW bakeries do anything on that level. The good news...I sketched a Rapunzel cake last year when I was trying to work up cake designs for DD5's bday cake.

My final Rapunzel cake sketch (that hit the trashcan b/c we went with Belle) involved the cake being designed like one of the lanterns/floating lights. i.e. I went with one of the pastels...had the corresponding darker color making the sun marking on the 4 sides. The base of the cake was decorated by a blonde fondant braid with bright colored sugar flowers (small gerbera style daisies). I couldn never decide on a top that I loved since everything had to involve 2D images on white chocolate stand ups or toys. I prefer everything to be edible on a cake so the final design involved an edible 2d standup image on white chocolate showing Rapunzel, Flynn, Pascal, Maximus and the tower...as well as some 3D sugar flowers to garnish the edges of the images in the same style (but larger) from what was in the braid border.

Most of my friends really liked the sketch, but the Belle cake was the winner b/c of the white chocolate 3D edible Belle topper. Oh well- hope this idea helps.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #234
noahdove
DIS Veteran

MissDisney121, what number did you call? I will try tomorrow again to speak with someone..Thank you

Old 05-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #235
disney minnie
DIS Veteran

Actually I'm looking for a cake at Walt Disney World.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #236
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Actually I'm looking for a cake at Walt Disney World.
Any particular bakery? Resort? The lantern cake I suggested is something I would have asked for from a WDW bakery had we gone with the Rapunzel theme. The various WDW bakeries can really do a lot, especially if you can put together a sketch w/your design. When we did DD5's Belle cake- I emailed back and forth with Chef Brian at the Contemporary's Bakery to create her cake.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #237
ivo004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
Ok- I've got MONTHS to plan this, but I wanted some thoughts since this may wind up requiring some extra work on my part.

We're planning on going in Nov as a treat for DD3's 4th bday. Her big sis got a lovely cake made by Chef Brian for her 5th bday (pictured below).

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I was planning on something similar for DD3 for her bday. Her princess is Ariel- so......i.e. instead of frames of gold and flowers, it woud be frames and accents of coral, starfish, seaweed etc. framing pics of Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle and 4th on the back side (maybe Max or even King Triton) ...and instead of a white and yellow marbled fondant, it would be multiple shades of blue and turquoise marbled with a posible luster finish. I'd love to have a white chocolate Ariel on top surrounded by an intricate backdrop of coral...the problem...they don't offer a white chocolate Ariel.

Obviously, I could have them transfer an edible image of Ariel to some white chocolate and stand it up in the center of the cake, but the whole 2D thing leaves me pretty cold. I don't consider buying a toy an option since one of my big rules for cakes (ones I make and ones I purchase) is that any toppers or decorations must be edible. While I'm hardly a pro and some of my work was more of a learning process than a success...you can see from my cake gallery that I really try to stay true to this "must be edible" rule. Gallery --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcuse...7624710575326/ SO, in any event, a plastic topper is just not an option.

So, the only other option I know of if I really want her to look spot on, be edible and be 3D is to buy an Ariel toy, buy some silicone mold making materials, and try and mold her out of some gumpaste/fondant...then hand paint her. I've never done molds like this before...so it would also be another learning process. I was planning on delving into this technique anyway since her home bday cake is supposed to be Dora themed...I just don't know about the stress in all of this since it's a lot of work and I'd have to hide it from her (i.e. only work when she's asleep).

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can pull this off w/o either settling for a 2D topper or making it myself? I've just never seen anyone get a WDW cake where the chef has handmade a 3d edible character. TIA
Can I ask you how much did this cake cost and how many inches did it had?? We are celebrating my DD 9th birthday this August and she really wants a Belle cake, we are going to have lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table with a couple of her friends so I guest I can order through the CR Bakery. Thank you !!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #238
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo004 View Post
Can I ask you how much did this cake cost and how many inches did it had?? We are celebrating my DD 9th birthday this August and she really wants a Belle cake, we are going to have lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table with a couple of her friends so I guest I can order through the CR Bakery. Thank you !!

Sure! If memory serves correctly...it was an 8" round and cost $150. If you want to see other pics of it, I just checked and found it on pg 197 of the Cake Chatter II thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....er+ii&page=197
Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #239
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Sorry, I'm sure some of these questions have been asked & answered before, but I'm new to the Cake Chatter! We want a cake to celebrate my DS's 2nd birthday which falls during our trip in October. I had thought of picking it up from the Contemporary Bakery as we left MK for the day, but I see on the thread you can only pick up from the Boardwalk Bakery, so I guess we will have to get it from there instead. My question is just about the standard 6-in cake since we will definitely not need more than that. Can you get any personalization done on those cakes or not? Also, are there any pictures of it anywhere so I can see what I'm ordering? I see the links to the more fancy cakes, but didn't know if I was skipping over pictures of the 6-in chocolate on chocolate cakes. Thanks!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #240
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
There was a Tangled Cake in the last cake thread, you can see it here.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: