Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #2116
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Does this sound right?

I finally heard back about a price on 2 cakes I wanted to order for our trip next week and I'm a little shocked at the price of my mini cake. Both cakes are being ordered through the cake hotline email for delivery to the Plaza.

Our 1st cake we are getting a 6" marble with buttercream (no fondant) and fresh strawberry filling topped with flowers and a white chocolate slipper. They quoted that as $75, which was in the range I assumed, but I thought maybe a tad less without the fondant.

The second cake is a 2-tier mini chocolate gluten free with buttercream frosting and fresh strawberry filling and I asked for lavender/yellow flowers and mickey heads. They quoted me $75 for that cake as well! I know gluten free costs more but the mini tiered cakes I've seen here all seemed to be in the $35 to $45 range so I was expecting maybe the high end of that. And I swear I saw a much larger, fancier cake here that was only 85. I'm so disappointed as I really can't justify the cost.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #2117
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I finally heard back about a price on 2 cakes I wanted to order for our trip next week and I'm a little shocked at the price of my mini cake. Both cakes are being ordered through the cake hotline email for delivery to the Plaza.

Our 1st cake we are getting a 6" marble with buttercream (no fondant) and fresh strawberry filling topped with flowers and a white chocolate slipper. They quoted that as $75, which was in the range I assumed, but I thought maybe a tad less without the fondant.

The second cake is a 2-tier mini chocolate gluten free with buttercream frosting and fresh strawberry filling and I asked for lavender/yellow flowers and mickey heads. They quoted me $75 for that cake as well! I know gluten free costs more but the mini tiered cakes I've seen here all seemed to be in the $35 to $45 range so I was expecting maybe the high end of that. And I swear I saw a much larger, fancier cake here that was only 85. I'm so disappointed as I really can't justify the cost.

I paid around $50 2 years ago for a 2 tier mini cake - no filling, strawberries, or mickey heads - just white fondant & white flowers on the top tier. It's amazing how much they charge for something so small!

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Caribbean Beach Resort December 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #2118
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalstongue View Post
Just ordered a cake for DD's 4th birthday on 16th May at BOG. Have ordered an 8" vanilla fondant cake with a Rapunzel floating lights theme. Quoted $107. Will post pictures after. :-)
Can't wait to see pics!!!

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Caribbean Beach Resort December 2014
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #2119
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
The white chocolate slipper alone costs at least $15, so take that away and the cake would be more in line with the prices one usually sees for 6-inch buttercream cakes.

Quote:
The second cake is a 2-tier mini chocolate gluten free with buttercream frosting and fresh strawberry filling and I asked for lavender/yellow flowers and mickey heads. They quoted me $75 for that cake as well!
I wonder if the culprit isn't the fresh-fruit filling. In the past, Disney bakeries have refused to put it in mini cakes. Maybe you are being quoted for a 3-inch on a 5-inch cake like the one we got for about that price, rather than a traditional mini cake.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #2120
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfortin16 View Post
I need to order 2 cakes.
One for our dinner at Teppan Edo in Epcot- Japan.
And one for Boma at AKL.
Where do I order these cakes and what kinds of options will I have?
I don't want the premade frozen one which you order at the podium when you get there.
All the info you need is in Post #2 of this thread.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #2121
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
The white chocolate slipper alone costs at least $15, so take that away and the cake would be more in line with the prices one usually sees for 6-inch buttercream cakes.

I wonder if the culprit isn't the fresh-fruit filling. In the past, Disney bakeries have refused to put it in mini cakes. Maybe you are being quoted for a 3-inch on a 5-inch cake like the one we got for about that price, rather than a traditional mini cake.
I'm okay with the price on the first. I wanted just one wow cake, but the food allergies between myself and my son are complete opposite (I can't eat wheat and he can't eat the grains they use in wheat free flours) so I have to do two separate cakes. I'll check on the size though and maybe see if they can do something super plain then for me. I'm the huge cake lover in my family so I just couldn't get a cake for everyone else and sit there and watch everyone eat. That would be torture-lol.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #2122
lfortin16
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
All the info you need is in Post #2 of this thread.
Thanks, Lurkyloo!!! You saved me from looking through 100's of posts!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2123
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Thanks Lurkyloo!

I questioned them about the size of the mini cake with the $75 price tag and she said she was going to get in touch with the bakery. Seems it didn't sound right to her. They quoted me on two 6 inch cakes instead of one 6" and one mini wedding cake. So the new price is $45. Much better. I may drop the strawberry filling though even if it's only a few bucks. I don't know how many strawberries they could possibly fit in that tiny thing anyhow seems a bit of a waste.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #2124
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfortin16 View Post
Thanks, Lurkyloo!!! You saved me from looking through 100's of posts!
No prob!

Quote:
I questioned them about the size of the mini cake with the $75 price tag and she said she was going to get in touch with the bakery. Seems it didn't sound right to her. They quoted me on two 6 inch cakes instead of one 6" and one mini wedding cake. So the new price is $45. Much better. I may drop the strawberry filling though even if it's only a few bucks. I don't know how many strawberries they could possibly fit in that tiny thing anyhow seems a bit of a waste.
Can't wait to see how they turn out!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #2125
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but when you order the cake, do you pay for it then over the phone or at the restaurant after its delivered?

I'm planning on ordering one for my sister for her birthday this December. Another quick question: Can they send a birthday card with the cake?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #2126
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but when you order the cake, do you pay for it then over the phone or at the restaurant after its delivered?

I'm planning on ordering one for my sister for her birthday this December.
I ordered mine from the GF for the Aloha show at the Poly. She took my credit card and it has already been charged. I do not know if this is the norm or not because we had to prepay for dinner.
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #2127
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat

I'm planning on ordering one for my sister for her birthday this December. Another quick question: Can they send a birthday card with the cake?
I have seen other post say that it was included with their tab for dinner and tax and gruity is added to the cake price.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #2128
jad215
Mouseketeer

Price - $55
Date Received - April 30, 2013
Location - Le Cellier (Yacht and Beach Club Bakery)
Cake info - 2 tier mini-cake, Chocolate cake, Baileys mousse filling, Chocolate buttercream under fondant - I sent in photos of a few different cakes with design elements I liked and a picture file of the Mickey/Minnie heart

This was a surprise for my fiancé to celebrate our engagement. We are planning to have our wedding in WDW and he won't be able to attend the planning session so this was the only time he'd be able to taste this cake/filling combo.

He loved it and so did I...his word was Spectacular! He also said this was the best cake he ever had. I agree, it was absolutely delicious and exactly what I had in mind!

Last edited by jad215; 05-07-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added 2 tier
Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #2129
SomePixiedust
DIS Veteran

I am thinking about having 2 cakes for our Illuminations cruise. I know I have to order through private dining at the Yacht Club. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. If so, do they deliver them to the boat or would I have to pick them up? Also, will they supply plates, utensils and a knife for cutting...and maybe a box for leftovers? TIA
Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #2130
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad215 View Post
Price - $55
Date Received - April 30, 2013
Location - Le Cellier (Yacht and Beach Club Bakery)
Cake info - 2 tier mini-cake, Chocolate cake, Baileys mousse filling, Chocolate buttercream under fondant - I sent in photos of a few different cakes with design elements I liked and a picture file of the Mickey/Minnie heart

This was a surprise for my fiancé to celebrate our engagement. We are planning to have our wedding in WDW and he won't be able to attend the planning session so this was the only time he'd be able to taste this cake/filling combo.
Thanks for sharing here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomePixiedust View Post
I am thinking about having 2 cakes for our Illuminations cruise. I know I have to order through private dining at the Yacht Club. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. If so, do they deliver them to the boat or would I have to pick them up? Also, will they supply plates, utensils and a knife for cutting...and maybe a box for leftovers? TIA
Private Dining delivers them to the marina, along with utensils, plates, etc. You can use the box the cake came in to take it home.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: