Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #196
Toystoryfan32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDisney121 View Post
I was also wondering when and how you pay for the cake. If I was having it delivered to Ohana's would they charge me now or when it is delivered. I wouldn't want it just put on the bill.
For us, they have always taken our credit card number when we made the cake order but waited to bill us until we get the cake. They have always asked me if I wanted it billed to the table so I am sure you could make other arrangements if needed.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #197
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasideteacher View Post
Looking for a little help!
I am want to get a simple cake to celebrate a few birthdays in our party while we are @ disney next week. (23-30)
We are at CSR and i would like to just bring it to our room to celebrate. I tried calling the hotline and ended up at room service? Having two kids run around might not help, lol.
Any advice? There are 6 of us in our group.
TIA!
Try the Boardwalk Bakery. I know they deliver or you can pick it up. Very easy to work with.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #198
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Hi everyone. I would like to order a cake for my parents 28th anniversary which we will be celebrating while we are there. I would like to get an 8" cake and have it delivered to Ohana's. Do they deliver there? And if so what kind of decorations or options do I have i I want to keep it around $50? Any help would be great. I think I need to call soon to place the order.
If you only need a simple buttercream cake with Disney's standard decor (sprinkles, fake flowers), just call the Cake Hotline listed in the first post of this thread. If you wanted something elaborate, you'd need to call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian (see Post #2) to order and have them deliver it to the Poly. But it's very difficult to get a cake of that size for only $50 from the GF, so ordering straight from the Poly via the Cake Hotline is probably your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
I'm going to look into this because I would like a Disney themed cake. All Babycakes will do are rosettes. They aren't allowed to do anything Disney. Animal Kingdom was very cut and dried about it, saying that Babycakes handles all allergy cakes, not the resorts, but I know answers vary depending on whom you ask. Thanks. Now I just have to find his email. Anyone?
We're not allowed to post cast member emails on the DIS. If you call Private Dining at the Contemporary (see post #2), they can put you in touch with Chef Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasideteacher View Post
Looking for a little help!
I am want to get a simple cake to celebrate a few birthdays in our party while we are @ disney next week. (23-30)
We are at CSR and i would like to just bring it to our room to celebrate. I tried calling the hotline and ended up at room service?
TIA!
That's because room service takes the cake orders at Disney resorts. CLICK HERE for info on the cake options at CSR. They also have pre-made square cake slices in 3 or 4 flavors at the small snack counter in the lobby. One of those would probably feed 2 people, so you could buy a couple of different flavors.

Quote:
I was also wondering when and how you pay for the cake. If I was having it delivered to Ohana's would they charge me now or when it is delivered. I wouldn't want it just put on the bill.
Standard practice is to bill you with the meal even if they take your credit card beforehand, so I'd specify when you order AND check to be sure it's not on the bill when it comes.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #199
lurkyloo

Quote:
Try the Boardwalk Bakery. I know they deliver or you can pick it up. Very easy to work with.
One thing to know is that if you order from them directly they will only deliver to restaurants/rooms at BoardWalk Inn. To order a BoardWalk Bakery cake for delivery to one of the other resorts it services, you have to place your order through that resort.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #200
sexyravenfan
Steamed Crabs, O's, and Natty Bohs

My BIL is a big fisherman. We wanted to get a Mickey/fishing cake. Has anyone seen this done before? I wonder what kinds of things they can do

October 2012-POR
August 2010-POR
August 2008-POR
July 2005-POR
July 2002-POR
June 1998-DxL
June 1994-DxL
September 1990-FW

Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #201
seasideteacher
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the help! I'll try calling again!
(btw my ticker is wrong, but i am too lazy to change it. 5 days until disney!)

Our Birthday Trip!! Celebrating DS turning 4 and DD turning 2!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #202
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

If they do a topper it will probably be a flat piece of white chocolate with a screen print, standing up. If it were me, I'd rather ask them to leave room for the toy and put it on myself!

MUCH! (And I love the idea of the cruise to see the lanterns!)
LOVE the band! Reminds me of Phineas and Ferb getting the band back together!!!

Is a month out too soon to place the order? I know they recommend two weeks but since it's wedding season and I have a few things to order I didn't know if it was better to contact now.

Also, I'm gluten-free now - waiting for testing to see if I have an allergy but due to other health issues it's on the backburner - and was seeing that someone had trouble with ordering allergy cakes. Does DIsney do gluten-free? It's not a deal breaker for me (I'm not a big cake person and would probably just eat the icing like I always do) but I hadn't thought about it until now.

Thanks again for all the AWESOME info!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #203
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Ariel Ideas

Ok- I've got MONTHS to plan this, but I wanted some thoughts since this may wind up requiring some extra work on my part.

We're planning on going in Nov as a treat for DD3's 4th bday. Her big sis got a lovely cake made by Chef Brian for her 5th bday (pictured below).

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I was planning on something similar for DD3 for her bday. Her princess is Ariel- so......i.e. instead of frames of gold and flowers, it woud be frames and accents of coral, starfish, seaweed etc. framing pics of Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle and 4th on the back side (maybe Max or even King Triton) ...and instead of a white and yellow marbled fondant, it would be multiple shades of blue and turquoise marbled with a posible luster finish. I'd love to have a white chocolate Ariel on top surrounded by an intricate backdrop of coral...the problem...they don't offer a white chocolate Ariel.

Obviously, I could have them transfer an edible image of Ariel to some white chocolate and stand it up in the center of the cake, but the whole 2D thing leaves me pretty cold. I don't consider buying a toy an option since one of my big rules for cakes (ones I make and ones I purchase) is that any toppers or decorations must be edible. While I'm hardly a pro and some of my work was more of a learning process than a success...you can see from my cake gallery that I really try to stay true to this "must be edible" rule. Gallery --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcuse...7624710575326/ SO, in any event, a plastic topper is just not an option.

So, the only other option I know of if I really want her to look spot on, be edible and be 3D is to buy an Ariel toy, buy some silicone mold making materials, and try and mold her out of some gumpaste/fondant...then hand paint her. I've never done molds like this before...so it would also be another learning process. I was planning on delving into this technique anyway since her home bday cake is supposed to be Dora themed...I just don't know about the stress in all of this since it's a lot of work and I'd have to hide it from her (i.e. only work when she's asleep).

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can pull this off w/o either settling for a 2D topper or making it myself? I've just never seen anyone get a WDW cake where the chef has handmade a 3d edible character. TIA
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #204
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
Ok- I've got MONTHS to plan this, but I wanted some thoughts since this may wind up requiring some extra work on my part.

We're planning on going in Nov as a treat for DD3's 4th bday. Her big sis got a lovely cake made by Chef Brian for her 5th bday (pictured below).

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I was planning on something similar for DD3 for her bday. Her princess is Ariel- so......i.e. instead of frames of gold and flowers, it woud be frames and accents of coral, starfish, seaweed etc. framing pics of Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle and 4th on the back side (maybe Max or even King Triton) ...and instead of a white and yellow marbled fondant, it would be multiple shades of blue and turquoise marbled with a posible luster finish. I'd love to have a white chocolate Ariel on top surrounded by an intricate backdrop of coral...the problem...they don't offer a white chocolate Ariel.

Obviously, I could have them transfer an edible image of Ariel to some white chocolate and stand it up in the center of the cake, but the whole 2D thing leaves me pretty cold. I don't consider buying a toy an option since one of my big rules for cakes (ones I make and ones I purchase) is that any toppers or decorations must be edible. While I'm hardly a pro and some of my work was more of a learning process than a success...you can see from my cake gallery that I really try to stay true to this "must be edible" rule. Gallery --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcuse...7624710575326/ SO, in any event, a plastic topper is just not an option.

So, the only other option I know of if I really want her to look spot on, be edible and be 3D is to buy an Ariel toy, buy some silicone mold making materials, and try and mold her out of some gumpaste/fondant...then hand paint her. I've never done molds like this before...so it would also be another learning process. I was planning on delving into this technique anyway since her home bday cake is supposed to be Dora themed...I just don't know about the stress in all of this since it's a lot of work and I'd have to hide it from her (i.e. only work when she's asleep).

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can pull this off w/o either settling for a 2D topper or making it myself? I've just never seen anyone get a WDW cake where the chef has handmade a 3d edible character. TIA
That cake is so pretty!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #205
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Does AKL make allergy/nut free cakes

I am wondering if I can get a nut free cake (peanut allergy) from the kitchens at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I told them about my daughter's allergy and the lady on the phone backed right off the order and sent me to Babycakes.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #206
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Is a month out too soon to place the order? I know they recommend two weeks but since it's wedding season and I have a few things to order I didn't know if it was better to contact now.
I think you'll be OK if you need to do it now, but I always wait til about 2 or 3 weeks out. You hear horror stories of people showing up only to find the cake order was lost, so I usually recommend ordering within just a few weeks of when you need the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Does DIsney do gluten-free? It's not a deal breaker for me
They do, but it's not like you can get the same kinds of fancy cakes, minus the gluten. It's a specially made but very simple cake, nothing fancy. I've heard mixed reviews...

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can pull this off w/o either settling for a 2D topper or making it myself? I've just never seen anyone get a WDW cake where the chef has handmade a 3d edible character.
That's because Disney won't allow the pastry chefs to create their own custom 3-D versions of characters, due to problems with maintaining the integrity of the character likeness. The only 3-D characters offered are those pre-made white chocolate figures, and those apparently go through months of revisions and review before a new one is approved for use by the pastry team. The last new one they created was Stitch for Aulani.

I say if you'd have fun making it yourself and can safely transport it to Disney, have them leave space for it on your cake and put it on top when the cake arrives.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #207
lurkyloo

Quote:
I am wondering if I can get a nut free cake (peanut allergy) from the kitchens at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I told them about my daughter's allergy and the lady on the phone backed right off the order and sent me to Babycakes.
...Most likely because AKL can't. Disney takes allergies very seriously, and they're not going to promise to make a nut-free cake if there's no way to guarantee the kitchens are nut-free. Babycakes should be able to hook you up!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #208
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
That's because Disney won't allow the pastry chefs to create their own custom 3-D versions of characters, due to problems with maintaining the integrity of the character likeness. The only 3-D characters offered are those pre-made white chocolate figures, and those apparently go through months of revisions and review before a new one is approved for use by the pastry team. The last new one they created was Stitch for Aulani.

I say if you'd have fun making it yourself and can safely transport it to Disney, have them leave space for it on your cake and put it on top when the cake arrives.
Makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to play it by ear and see how it goes. I have a back up plan involving Minnie and the corresponding white chocolate topper if all else fails. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #209
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

Could you possibly do the white chocolate sand castle topper? Have you seen that? I think it's adorable and it works really well with an Ariel theme. You could have Ariel in the front frame so she's a focal point, and then have Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle in the other frames. Then you wouldn't have to try to create an Ariel topper at home, or worry about getting it safely to Disney.

Here is a picture of the sand castle topper:

[IMG][/IMG]

Engaged in Animal Kingdom 9/19/09! Married in Walt Disney World 5/09/11!

My book blog: http://theavidreader.typepad.com/

Last edited by Kimmers127; 05-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #210
blue gatorade
Earning My Ears

I just ordered a Cinderella slipper desert as a surprise for my parents for our dinner at California Grill a week from today. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. As a "poor college student" I can't afford one of the amazing extravagant cakes that are displayed on this thread, but I hope they'll love it anyway!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: