Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #1996
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
If we can't pick it up at Poly, I'll figure something out, I just figured I'd ask. Coming back from Epcot it shouldn't be too difficult to swing by the Contemporary and pick it up at the Wave...we'd just have to figure out how to do it as covertly as possible
Only Disney can give you this answer. If it's a standard cake you're after, call the number listed for the Polynesian in Post #2. If you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake or a mini cake, call the number for the Grand Floridian, which delivers these to the Poly. They can let you know if it can be left, say, at Captain Cook's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
ETA: Another question....it's possible that my parents may be on the trip as well, in which case they could take DD to the hotel for bed while DH and I and his family stayed in Epcot - potentially for the 3D Dessert Party that's part of the festival. If we did that, would a bakery deliver there? Or would we have to go pick it up from Boardwalk?
The bakeries only deliver to resort rooms and restaurants. BoardWalk Bakery is the only one you can walk into and pick something up.

You may find that having It's Tasty Too deliver to Shades of Green is a lot less hassle and money than trying to go through Disney.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #1997
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm narrowing down plans for MILs birthday cake. I tried to find out if she has any favorite characters or rides with no such luck so I turned to my 4 year old to ask what we should do for Grandma's cake. He said it should be something for girls because she's a girl-lol. We are doing lunch at the Plaza on our MK day with her and the plan is to have it presented then.

Thinking of doing a 6 inch cake possibly marble cake with vanilla buttercream and strawberry filling. For the decorations I'm thinking pale blue and yellow flowers surrounding a while chocolate slipper (if they'll do that). I'm going to take a look at the other chocolate toppers but I'm leaning towards this as it's sort of simple and still says Disney. And since it's our MK day and we'll be eating near the castle I thought it appropriate.

I also don't think I want fondant as pleasant as it looks so I think this works with that idea in mind. We'll see. Our trip is just over a month away so I guess I'll be looking into it soon.

Still not sure when/where to do our GF anniversary cake, but we might just deliver that to the room. BTW is there a fee for that?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #1998
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Only Disney can give you this answer. If it's a standard cake you're after, call the number listed for the Polynesian in Post #2. If you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake or a mini cake, call the number for the Grand Floridian, which delivers these to the Poly. They can let you know if it can be left, say, at Captain Cook's.
Thanks, lurkyloo I will call the GF number and ask

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #1999
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post

Still not sure when/where to do our GF anniversary cake, but we might just deliver that to the room. BTW is there a fee for that?

When you are staying at a resort with Private Dining service, cakes incur the same fees that any room service meal would: 18% gratuity, 6.5% sales tax and $3.00 delivery charge.

If the cake is delivered to a room at a resort that doesn't have Private Dining, you just pay 6.5% sales tax.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2000
kohler2009
Earning My Ears

We are staying at the GF in October and DH's birthday is our second day there. I would love to get him a Star Wars themed cake. How far in advance to I need to start talking to someone at the GF about this?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #2001
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you are staying at a resort with Private Dining service, cakes incur the same fees that any room service meal would: 18% gratuity, 6.5% sales tax and $3.00 delivery charge.

If the cake is delivered to a room at a resort that doesn't have Private Dining, you just pay 6.5% sales tax.
Then I guess it sounds like it would be cheaper to have it at a restaurant where I can use my TiW card.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #2002
rms123
DIS Veteran

Cake options at Akershus

I'm sure this info is in here somewhere, but sorry I couldn't find it. We'll be going to Akershus for DS's first birthday and I need to get him a cake. Are the only options there the standard supermarket type cakes or can I get a custom one and who would I call? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #2003
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Then I guess it sounds like it would be cheaper to have it at a restaurant where I can use my TiW card.

Thanks.
Don't forget that you'll have to pay the same 18% automatic gratuity on the price of the cake as you would on the meal if you use TIW for a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohler2009 View Post
We are staying at the GF in October and DH's birthday is our second day there. I would love to get him a Star Wars themed cake. How far in advance to I need to start talking to someone at the GF about this?
Two weeks out seems like a good rule of thumb, unless you want something super-elaborate that might require approval—like Han Solo in white chocolate carbonite or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
I'm sure this info is in here somewhere, but sorry I couldn't find it. We'll be going to Akershus for DS's first birthday and I need to get him a cake. Are the only options there the standard supermarket type cakes or can I get a custom one and who would I call? Thanks!
Post #2 lists the number to call for Epcot and the options available. At Akershus you can get what they call a "custom" cake, there's just not a lot Epcot can do to customize it (chocolate/vanilla, screen print) so it'll pretty much look like a supermarket cake. The only locations where you can get fancy cakes in Epcot are Le Cellier, Coral Reef and Garden Grill b/c these are the only ones where Yacht & Beach Club's pastry team will deliver.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #2004
Kara315
Mouseketeer

When having a cake delivered to POFQ from the Boardwalk Bakery, does anyone know if they will defiantly charge your credit card, or do you pay when you pick it up at the food court?
Thanks.

Our Zoo
and two Chinchilla's named and

Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #2005
forever11709
Mouseketeer

I have read a majority of this thread and was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with a design for my moms 47th birthday! This will be our 3rd October trip but first trip that we will be there on her actual birthday! Looking through the thread so far I love the mad hatter cakes, and the cakes that have the Mickey and Minnie "half" heads on them. Since we are going in October I was hoping to have the heads be the Mickey pumpkin design. Our party is a party of 7, one being a 3 yr old, and we were thinking of having it delivered to our dinner at Cape May, but have other options such as Naccrooses. Does this sound doable for the Beach & Yacht Club bakery???

Mommy Molly & Daddy (will I ever get him to go HOME with me?)

Molly's Trips -- July 2011 Beach Club October 2012 Beach Club October 2013 Yacht Club -- Will this child ever stay in a non-deluxe?!?!?!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #2006
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Our Tower of Terror Cake from October 2012

Oct.2007-WL,Sept.2008-WL,Dec.2009-Polynesian,Oct.2010-AKL_Grand Villa,Sept.2011-Polynesian, Oct.2012-Polynesian,Mar.2013-Polynesian,Nov.2013-VGF_2BR Lake View,May 2014-BWV_1BR BoardwalkView, Dec.2014-VGF_Grand Villa

Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #2007
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Our Haunted Mansion Cake!

Oct.2007-WL,Sept.2008-WL,Dec.2009-Polynesian,Oct.2010-AKL_Grand Villa,Sept.2011-Polynesian, Oct.2012-Polynesian,Mar.2013-Polynesian,Nov.2013-VGF_2BR Lake View,May 2014-BWV_1BR BoardwalkView, Dec.2014-VGF_Grand Villa

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #2008
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2TwoMickeys View Post
Our Haunted Mansion Cake!
Very cool. Do you mind sharing the details about then. Where you got them from, size, price, flavor.

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #2009
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Don't forget that you'll have to pay the same 18% automatic gratuity on the price of the cake as you would on the meal if you use TIW for a discount.
Will automatic gratuity be added on the cake (non-TIW) if it's for a party of 8? I ordered a cake for Chef Mickey's (6 adults, 1 child, 1 infant) and I'm a little worried they may add the cake and then automatic gratuity due to table size. I would care less if I was SURE I was picking up the tab (would adjust to take that portion off the tip) but we have several family members who may vie for the check and I don't want them paying without paying attention and tipping on the cake, which cost more than 2 adult,family members' dinner!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #2010
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartjuppy View Post

Will automatic gratuity be added on the cake (non-TIW) if it's for a party of 8? I ordered a cake for Chef Mickey's (6 adults, 1 child, 1 infant) and I'm a little worried they may add the cake and then automatic gratuity due to table size. I would care less if I was SURE I was picking up the tab (would adjust to take that portion off the tip) but we have several family members who may vie for the check and I don't want them paying without paying attention and tipping on the cake, which cost more than 2 adult,family members' dinner!
I can only tell you the experience from the Yatchsman Steakhouse. They added an automatic 18% to a party of 4!!! When I called private dining they told me that never should have happened and transferred me to the manager of the steakhouse. She was VERY condescending and kept insisting that ALL speciality cakes are charged an automatic 18%. I held my ground and she refunded me (but only 15%- NOT what she told me). I didn't have the energy to call back. It was frustrating, and I wonder how many people don't realize and call.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: