Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #136
Jozymouse
Disney Character Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhower View Post
Hi all! I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask it. My DH and I are going to WDW in October and after looking at all these beautiful cakes I would absolutely love to get one for him. The thing is... I really don't have a reason to, I just want a cake Our anniversary is in July and his birthday isn't until November. I don't really wanna do a Halloween cake cause we're not that big into it. I just want to do something special for him to let him know how much he means to me and how much I love him. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do? He's a HUGE Penn State fan and he's sacrificing two games to go see Mickey with me, so I had been thinking about maybe a cake with Mickey in football gear with PSU's colors. Any other ideas would be really appreciated. thanks so much!!!
I love your idea! I'm also ordering a cake for no real occasion! My boyfriend has been dying to do the Star Wars Weekends for YEARS and we're finally going next week! I ordered a star wars cake saying "enjoy your Star Wars weekend!!!"
First trip to WDW in 1981, then..1983, 1986, 1988, 1989 (DLR), 1990, 1991, 1992 (WDW & DLR), 1993, 1994 (DLR), 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, Feb-Oct-Dec 2007, Feb 2008, Aug 2008 (DLR), July 2009, Oct 2009, Jan 2010 (DLR), March 2010, Sept 2010, Feb 2011,Aug 2011, May 2012 & Dec 2012, March 2014 (DLP), May 2014 SWW!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #137
anhower
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavArmy View Post
Awww, I like your mickey w/ his colors idea!! I say go with that!
Thanks! I think he would absolutely love it. When I say he's a PSU fan it's the understatement of the century. He lives, sleeps, and breathes PSU. We're having dinner our first night at Artist Point and another night at Yachtsman Steakhouse, so those are the two I'm looking at possibly ordering a cake from. It's only the two of us so I'm unsure as to what size to get and how to go about this. I would love any suggestions you and everyone else can give me!

Coronado Springs Resort February 2011 . Port Orleans Riverside January 2012 . Polynesian Resort October 2012 . Port Orleans French Quarter February 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #138
anhower
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozymouse View Post
I love your idea! I'm also ordering a cake for no real occasion! My boyfriend has been dying to do the Star Wars Weekends for YEARS and we're finally going next week! I ordered a star wars cake saying "enjoy your Star Wars weekend!!!"
That sounds fabulous!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one wanting to get a cake for no real occasion, I was worried that I sounded silly I'm sure your cake will look awesome, have a great time!!

Coronado Springs Resort February 2011 . Port Orleans Riverside January 2012 . Polynesian Resort October 2012 . Port Orleans French Quarter February 2013
Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #139
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Since I am a terrible judge at sizing in pictures, I'm going to have to ask a question before I make my call to try to order a cake for DH's birthday dinner.

Would the mini wedding cake satisfy 2 adults and 2 kids or should I go with a larger cake?

I really like the 2-tier look, but I'm worried that we'll have a ton of cake left over. I wouldn't mind a little leftover for the rest of the trip.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #140
mirandag819
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Since I am a terrible judge at sizing in pictures, I'm going to have to ask a question before I make my call to try to order a cake for DH's birthday dinner.

Would the mini wedding cake satisfy 2 adults and 2 kids or should I go with a larger cake?

I really like the 2-tier look, but I'm worried that we'll have a ton of cake left over. I wouldn't mind a little leftover for the rest of the trip.

Thanks!
I believe the mini wedding cake serves 2

Etsy ID: MirandaG819

Last edited by mirandag819; 05-09-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #141
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Yeah, I'd recommend the mini cake for 2 adults or 2 kids, but not 2 adults AND 2 kids. Still might be cheaper to get 2 mini cakes than one 6-inch cake, depending on how fancy you were planning to have that 6-inch cake.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #142
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the quick responses!

I think I'll probably end up going with the 6-inch. My girls would be disappointed if Daddy couldn't share his cake with them.

I also think it would be a lot easier to get the design I want on a larger cake.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #143
anhower
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks! I think he would absolutely love it. When I say he's a PSU fan it's the understatement of the century. He lives, sleeps, and breathes PSU. We're having dinner our first night at Artist Point and another night at Yachtsman Steakhouse, so those are the two I'm looking at possibly ordering a cake from. It's only the two of us so I'm unsure as to what size to get and how to go about this. I would love any suggestions you and everyone else can give me!
Does anyone have any recommendations on which place would be better to get a cake from? And because it's only two of us, what kind/size of cake would be best? I don't mind having some leftovers TIA!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #144
lurkyloo

All of Disney's cakes taste the same no matter where you get them, so that's no issue, and both the Contemporary (which makes fancy cakes for Artist Point) and Yacht & Beach Club turn out great-looking cakes. It does seem that the Contemporary's prices are lower though, so that might be something to consider.

As for size, I'd go with a 6-inch if you want leftovers or a mini-cake if you don't!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #145
anhower
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
All of Disney's cakes taste the same no matter where you get them, so that's no issue, and both the Contemporary (which makes fancy cakes for Artist Point) and Yacht & Beach Club turn out great-looking cakes. It does seem that the Contemporary's prices are lower though, so that might be something to consider.

As for size, I'd go with a 6-inch if you want leftovers or a mini-cake if you don't!
Thanks lurkyloo!! Is there a person in particular that I should contact? Is calling or emailing better? I'm probably gonna go with Artist Point since that's our first night there and we can have the rest of the week to pick at it.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #146
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Thanks lurkyloo!! Is there a person in particular that I should contact? Is calling or emailing better? I'm probably gonna go with Artist Point since that's our first night there and we can have the rest of the week to pick at it.

Thanks!!!
I see you decided to go with AP. As lurkyloo said, the bakeries don't seem to be that different. I do feel Yacht & Beach club bakery is more consistent. I can't ever remember seeing a cake from there that wasn't great. I've seen a few from Contemporary that I would have been really disappointed in. (It makes me wonder if Chef Brian is the only really talented cake decorator there. Some of the cakes don't look like a cake he'd make. Plain grocery store cakes are as nice.) Y&BC is usually more expensive though. If going with AP, I'd be very specific about what I wanted. Hopefully, you'll hit it on a day when Chef Brian is working. Most cakes from Contemporary bakery are very nice, so the odds are in your favor.
(")_(")

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #147
twinkles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I see you decided to go with AP. As lurkyloo said, the bakeries don't seem to be that different. I do feel Yacht & Beach club bakery is more consistent. I can't ever remember seeing a cake from there that wasn't great. I've seen a few from Contemporary that I would have been really disappointed in. (It makes me wonder if Chef Brian is the only really talented cake decorator there. Some of the cakes don't look like a cake he'd make. Plain grocery store cakes are as nice.) Y&BC is usually more expensive though. If going with AP, I'd be very specific about what I wanted. Hopefully, you'll hit it on a day when Chef Brian is working. Most cakes from Contemporary bakery are very nice, so the odds are in your favor.
Im so hoping my two cakes I ordered turn out half way decent. I ended up changing my one cake design in fear they couldn't do it and went with a more Disney theme. I hope it looks ok, especially after the amount I'm paying for it!

Also, my daughter who is an extremely talented cake designer will be critiquing!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #148
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
Im so hoping my two cakes I ordered turn out half way decent. I ended up changing my one cake design in fear they couldn't do it and went with a more Disney theme. I hope it looks ok, especially after the amount I'm paying for it!

Also, my daughter who is an extremely talented cake designer will be critiquing!
I'm sure they will, if you gave them specifics. The cakes where people tell them to use their creativity, w/o making requests, are the ones that sometimes turn out less than fabulous. Chef Brian is very talented. If he makes your cakes, I'm sure they'll be great.
(")_(")

Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #149
twinkles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I'm sure they will, if you gave them specifics. The cakes where people tell them to use their creativity, w/o making requests, are the ones that sometimes turn out less than fabulous. Chef Brian is very talented. If he makes your cakes, I'm sure they'll be great.
Unfortunately, I ordered my cakes from two different places and neither is from the Contemporary.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #150
lurkyloo

Quote:
Thanks lurkyloo!! Is there a person in particular that I should contact? Is calling or emailing better? I'm probably gonna go with Artist Point since that's our first night there and we can have the rest of the week to pick at it
What you do is call the number and speak to someone in Private Dining to order the cake. You can ask for the chef's email and then send him the specific description, photos, etc. Once he gets back to you with a quote, you place the order by calling that Private Dining number again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
Unfortunately, I ordered my cakes from two different places and neither is from the Contemporary.
Sending in photos (or even sketches) always helps!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: