Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #1171
jusero
DIS Veteran

These posts have caused a long-time feud between DD and me to reignite. She swears by her value resorts and cannot understand why I won't even give them a try. And she has stayed at Shades before. I can't understand why she would want to stay at a VR when Shades is actually cheaper, nicer, quieter, bigger, etc. She should never even try to out Shades me. The only thing she is right about is the food and the opprotunity to get the meal deal. But even that won't sway me because I find eating at sit-downs a waste of time. I would rather be in the park doing rides, seeing shows or just taking it all in than sitting in a restaurant for two hours.

But, to each their own. Because she chooses to stay elsewhere, that's one more room available for my fellow Shades enthusiasts.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1172
ColoradoDis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontears View Post
Not to worry...We haven't stayed at a Disney hotel again since we first stayed at SOG. We will ALWAYS be staying at SOG. It is amazing! Clean, quiet, convienent but with a feel of seclusion because of the golf courses. A bit apart from all the madness.

As to it not being "Disney enough" - We don't need to be saturated in Disney 24/7. Overstimulating the kids nonstop wherever we go for ten days is not my idea of a vacation. Even if you have no little munchkins in your group, at the POP, Art of Animation and other kid themed resorts, you are constantly bombarded by other family's overstimulated munchkins. SOG seems to calm them a little. "a little" It certainly calms me. The only Disney Resort that came close was POFQ. SOG has MUCH larger rooms and costs less. What's not to love?

And did you know? SOG has the only Micky head shaped pool on the property.

So go...and enjoy!

Thanks for the comments - we're arriving on Friday for our first stay at SOG. Can't wait!
2004 - Poly/Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort and 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2013 - Shades of Green

DH - Ron : Me - Sherry DD - Morgan DD - Miranda DSIL - Miles
ColoradoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #1173
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
These posts have caused a long-time feud between DD and me to reignite. She swears by her value resorts and cannot understand why I won't even give them a try. And she has stayed at Shades before. I can't understand why she would want to stay at a VR when Shades is actually cheaper, nicer, quieter, bigger, etc. She should never even try to out Shades me. The only thing she is right about is the food and the opprotunity to get the meal deal. But even that won't sway me because I find eating at sit-downs a waste of time. I would rather be in the park doing rides, seeing shows or just taking it all in than sitting in a restaurant for two hours.

But, to each their own. Because she chooses to stay elsewhere, that's one more room available for my fellow Shades enthusiasts.
Every time I go I think maybe next trip we'll stay in a Disney resort instead. And all it takes is seeing the lines of people waiting for buses like cattle in the chute and I'm done with that thought.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1174
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
I agree with everything you said.
Me too!!.
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #1175
household6
Earning My Ears

buying tickets at Shades of Green

On our upcoming trip, we are sponsoring our friends, a non-military family, at Shades of Green. From what I've read here, we should soon be getting an e-mail to pre-order our tickets to have them ready and waiting for us upon our arrival. We will be using the Salute Tickets, but our friends will be using the regular MYW tickets. Will they be able to purchase them tax-free at Shades of Green?
household6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1176
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by household6 View Post
On our upcoming trip, we are sponsoring our friends, a non-military family, at Shades of Green. From what I've read here, we should soon be getting an e-mail to pre-order our tickets to have them ready and waiting for us upon our arrival. We will be using the Salute Tickets, but our friends will be using the regular MYW tickets. Will they be able to purchase them tax-free at Shades of Green?
if you add them to your order form you can have them all waiting for you.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #1177
rakkasan187
Earning My Ears

Getting to MK for Breakfast?

Hey team - Long time lurker, first time poster. We're staying at SOG and have 8:25 ressie at CP. MK opens at 9AM that day. What's the best way to get to the park in time for our reservation? Walk (drive?) to the Poly and take the monorail? Any idea what time we should leave the resort to make our reservation?

Thanks!
rakkasan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #1178
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkasan187 View Post
Hey team - Long time lurker, first time poster. We're staying at SOG and have 8:25 ressie at CP. MK opens at 9AM that day. What's the best way to get to the park in time for our reservation? Walk (drive?) to the Poly and take the monorail? Any idea what time we should leave the resort to make our reservation?

Thanks!
Best way is to walk to Poly, and take the monorail. I would leave SOG around 7:15. Count on about a 15 min walk to Poly, or a small wait and ride on the shady shuttle. Then a small wait to get the monorail (about 15 min or less). The the short monorail ride to MK, the short trip through the bag check. The line for ADR's to let you into the park. You'll probably get into the park around 8am. Then you can take your time walking up Main Street and get some wonderful photos and be checked in at CP by about 8:15.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #1179
rakkasan187
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Best way is to walk to Poly, and take the monorail. I would leave SOG around 7:15. Count on about a 15 min walk to Poly, or a small wait and ride on the shady shuttle. Then a small wait to get the monorail (about 15 min or less). The the short monorail ride to MK, the short trip through the bag check. The line for ADR's to let you into the park. You'll probably get into the park around 8am. Then you can take your time walking up Main Street and get some wonderful photos and be checked in at CP by about 8:15.
Thanks! I assumed that the bus system wouldn't be running early enough, so the monorail was my next best guess. That's great information. Now to convince my crew we need to get up in time to leave SOG at 7AM during our vacation.
rakkasan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #1180
bdcp
DIS Veteran

From the Shades of Green Facebook page:

"Effective Sunday, May 19, 2013
There will be a 100% ID check on the buses on your return trips from the parks back to Shades of Green. All adults will need to have their room key or resort ID along with a photo ID card; military ID cards are preferred.
Upon your return trip, please have your ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus."

Makes sense to me. Apparently some people have been driving to the resort and parking there and then riding the SOG buses. If you read the FB replies, some people are complaining, some are saying it's for security reasons and others are saying because of crowded buses due to people who shouldn't be on them riding. I don't care what the reason is, all of them are good ones.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #1181
rebekah8284
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp
From the Shades of Green Facebook page:

"Effective Sunday, May 19, 2013
There will be a 100% ID check on the buses on your return trips from the parks back to Shades of Green. All adults will need to have their room key or resort ID along with a photo ID card; military ID cards are preferred.
Upon your return trip, please have your ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus."

Makes sense to me. Apparently some people have been driving to the resort and parking there and then riding the SOG buses. If you read the FB replies, some people are complaining, some are saying it's for security reasons and others are saying because of crowded buses due to people who shouldn't be on them riding. I don't care what the reason is, all of them are good ones.
I also saw this on Facebook and couldn't believe the number of people complaining about it. Its really not that difficult to show your id and room card is it and I think its a great idea. You have to show your card to get on a base so people should be used to doing it. Personally we have never had problems with the buses being too crowded but think this is a good extra security measure.

rebekah8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #1182
stitchrulz
I am not spoiled -- A bit past the expiration date, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekah8284 View Post
Personally we have never had problems with the buses being too crowded but think this is a good extra security measure.
I agree.
1995 - CBR (Honeymoon!) 1996 - Dixie Landings 1997 - CBR 2000 - CBR 2001 - SOG 2002 - Contemporary 2003 - Contemporary 2004 - SOG 2005 - Polynesian (10th Anniversary!) 2006 - WL 2007 SOG 2008 - SOG 2009 - Polynesian
2012 - Polynesian

In memory of Stubs, our beloved "Pud" 04/10/2007
stitchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #1183
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekah8284 View Post
I also saw this on Facebook and couldn't believe the number of people complaining about it. Its really not that difficult to show your id and room card is it and I think its a great idea. You have to show your card to get on a base so people should be used to doing it. Personally we have never had problems with the buses being too crowded but think this is a good extra security measure.
I also agree I do not know of many military properties that do not require ID...so what's with the complaints?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #1184
buffettgirl

I'm on the fence with it really. I don't think the buses are that over crowded and I've never really gotten the impression people were on them who shouldn't be. I think it's really just going to slow things down in an already decent bus system where things run on time. And really, are they going to start denying people admission if they somehow forget their id? A teenager travelling alone?

I don't think people have a problem showing ID, I know I don't, but the reasons seem vague and unlikely to fix whatever perceived problem there is. IMO, it's not really the same as being on a military base where you know you will need to show your ID.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #1185
Dragontears
Mouseketeer

Smile SOG is a military privilage

Quote:
IMO, it's not really the same as being on a military base where you know you will need to show your ID.
Oh, but it is. It is a benefit for military personnel, their families and guests and not open to the public. The only time I have been carded on site is at ticket sales…never for breakfast. People taking the bus bypass the check at the guard gate. Anyone would then be able to eat at the restaurants (which already have long enough lines, thank you), shop at the AAFES, get a drink at the bars, etc. All of which are cheaper than using Disney facilities. On other message boards I have seen people inquiring about non-military being able to eat at Manginos; so there are deffinetly those that would like to try. If they carded everyone for each of the military benefits we get; people would complain even more.

SOG has given notice that you need to show your ID for the bus and will probable be giving that information out with the rest of their transportation information upon check-in so riders can have it ready when boarding the bus. It should not slow anything down. If a teenager is old enough to travel alone, they are old enough to carry their ID. And how are they supposed to get back into their rooms with out their hotel key?

People have been devising ways of being able to get to their park tickets in a hurry for fast pass for years; so you can't tell me having their IDs handy is a hardship.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!'

Dragontears is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: