Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #691
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsk8nmac View Post
I had to reply because I find the part about the Plaza most interesting. We had dinner reservations there on Tuesday night and we LOVED it. Maybe it was the chef that was cooking the night you were there, IDK. I did on the other hand, have to see our Chef bc I have an allergy listing attached to my reservation. She did a great job, even sending over to the bakery to get me a croissant for my sandwich since the breads they use at the plaza include allergens I cant be in contact with. So maybe that was the difference. I'm used to blah PA food and the typical Disney food, so we thought it was a good change. I will post pics of our food as soon as my DBF gets them to me.

Another thing I noticed was that SOG seemed UBER clean this time. We have never had problem with cleanliness there, but this time it just seemed even more so!
yeah, the cleanliness was really amazing.

The plaza ; my dh had a club and he just said that if he had never eaten another club prior, he would have been impressed. Otherwise it wasn't anything special. I had the steak sandwich. someone got a turkey, and there were a few others. I can't remember now. No one thought it was anything special. My both my husband and sil thought their bread was stale.

Last edited by buffettgirl; 08-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #692
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
We had the pleasure at staying at Shades of Green at the beginning of Aug. The entire resort is BEAUTIFUL and we truly enjoyed our stay.

I wanted to add a picture review of the Palm Suite in case anyone is looking for more information on this room.

The Palm Suite has three bedrooms, a kitchenette, a dining room, a living room area and two bathrooms that are NOT in any of the bedrooms.

Kitchen Area: Has a sink, microwave, FULL SIZE refrigerator/freezer and is stocked with dishes (breakable type), glasses and mugs, silverware, can opener, and a few serving spoons. There is also a 12 cup coffee maker (uses CONE filters or the pods they provide there). Housekeeping WILL wash dishes for you if you ask them to, otherwise there is NO dishwasher. We used paper plates mostly to avoid making more work for us or our housekeepers! There are also two counter stools at the island.

The Dining area seats 6. The chairs have fabric bottoms. We used extra room towels to cover over the cloth so the kids didn't spill and mess up the chairs. Two full length mirrors on the wall if you need them. You can see the doors on the left and right that lead to each bathroom and also two bedrooms.

Computer station: this is next to the island in the kitchen. Computer set up for accessing the internet. The door to the right is the kids/bunk room. To the left of the computer station is the main room door.

I realized that I didn't get a picture of the living room area. There is a fireplace (that works!) with a large flat screen tv over it. There were two three seater couches on each wall and an additional two recliners. Also a coffee table and end tables.

The bathrooms were located on each side of the dining area and NOT tucked into either bedroom.

Bathroom #1 (on left) has two sinks and a ADA accessible tub with duel shower heads.

Bathroom #2 (on right) has ONE sink and an ADA accessible SHOWER.

There are two bedrooms that are identical. They are each REALLY SPACIOUS! Each has a large dresser with a mirror, flatscreen tv mounted on the wall, TWO queen sized beds, a loveseat that pulls out into an extra twin bed, an easy chair and a sliding door leading out to a patio. There is also a closet (with safe)

Then there is the "Bunk" room or kid's room.
the wall is painted with a space mural. there are two bunk beds. with little STEPS that lead up to the top (NOT ladders). The sides of the steps/bunks are drawers that pull out for dresser space. Each bed has a little overhead tv/dvd player AND "night lights" with their own switch. there are two rocking "gaming chairs" and four lockers.

Okay, I hope this will help someone in the future.

Sunshine
Thank so much for the beautiful pictures! WOW How much did it cost you for the night and how many were in your party? I priced the jr suite but was cheaper for me to get two rooms..
But this looks absolutely beautiful
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #693
jusero
DIS Veteran

Woo-hoo! I finally got chapter 10 of my trip report up and ready.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #694
abolanwoski
Not mean, just says what others are thinking!

Beer in the AAFES

We are getting an order from GG and I'm trying to decide if we should order beer from them or just get it from the shopette at the hotel. I can't remember what kind of selection they had or how the prices were. Any input?
1999 - Beach Club & Disney Magic
2000, 07, 08 - Disneyland
2003 - Grand Floridian for Halloween
2008 - Disney Magic
2010 - BLT
2011 - Gaylord Palms

DH Me DD6 DD9
abolanwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #695
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolanwoski View Post
We are getting an order from GG and I'm trying to decide if we should order beer from them or just get it from the shopette at the hotel. I can't remember what kind of selection they had or how the prices were. Any input?
pretty good selection of beer, and prices weren't earth shattering. They had the regular run of the mill things like mller, bud, coors, then some blue moon and a few others.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #696
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
pretty good selection of beer, and prices weren't earth shattering. They had the regular run of the mill things like mller, bud, coors, then some blue moon and a few others.
Page 161 of the previous thread has some pics

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....45518&page=161
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:05 AM   #697
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

We will be at SOG in 19 days. I have a couple of questions:

How is the wine selection and the prices at the store? Do they carry any rum or burbon? I looked at the pictures on the previous thread and didn't see either.

Where do I find a bus schedule? We plan on trying out the SOG buses for DTD and maybe even MK. We can always go on over to the Poly and jump on the monorail, however I want a back up plan since the monorail sometimes is down.

Angel16
Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #698
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel16 View Post

How is the wine selection and the prices at the store? Do they carry any rum or burbon? I looked at the pictures on the previous thread and didn't see either.

Where do I find a bus schedule? We plan on trying out the SOG buses for DTD and maybe even MK. We can always go on over to the Poly and jump on the monorail, however I want a back up plan since the monorail sometimes is down.

Angel16
Taken from the first post in this thread

I find the bus to TTC to get to MK or Epcot so easy to catch. The first bus for AK and HS in the morning gets you close to rope drop - usually gets you to the park about 10 min before opening. Coming back from HS or AK we either take the shades bus, if the timing is right, or we take a TTC bus, or we take a poly bus. Whichever we see first.

BUS SCHEDULE.

Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach–once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour. Starts a half hour before park opening. (Usually at 0830)
On Extra Magic Hour days, Leaves Shades of Green starting at 0730
Leaves Animal Kingdom at 10 minutes before the hour (Space #7 in charter bus area)
Leaves BB on the hour (Space #1 in bus area, from 1000)

Hollywood Studios-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (Starts a half hour before park opening)
Leaves DHS on the hour (Space C6)

Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (starting at 0830)
Leaves TL at 10 till the hour (Space #9 from 0950)
Leaves DD on the hour (at the top of lot E by the red building)
Last bus leaves DTD at midnight

Ticket and Transportation Center-every 20 minutes
To reach both Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail
First bus leaves Shades of Green a half hour before park opening
Bus leaves TTC starting at 0840 (space #3)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #699
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Angel16
The wine selection is decent (Reds and whites.) Not great but decent if you are not too picky.. If you want a large bottle then bring your wine opener.. They have small twist off bottles too.. (Single serving size) They do have alcohol behind the cash register.. (Jack Daniels, Grey Goose and other name brands.) (I think they had about 15 to choose from.) Plus they have small twist off bottles right at the register of certain liquors. I wish we had time to sit back and have a drink but I run my troops like we are on a death march.. (So say's my husband.)
The pictures of wine are on the snack picture in the previous thread. It won't show you the brands but it shows that they are at the end of the shelves.
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #700
kidsrfun
Mouseketeer

I'm more than half way through my trip!! I have been solo this whole time (and I have to say I've been LOVING it!!), and my dh will be joining me tonight to spend the last two days together!! He was suppose to be here yesterday, but Isaac messed things up for us. He's at Keelser AFB in MS and he has been delayed due to the storm. Hoping for clear roads so he can get here this evening and spend the holiday weekend with me!!

February 2013 - Playing tour guide at the Pop! / August 2012 - My First Solo Trip! (SOG) / January 2012 - Holden Girls' Weekend Adventure! (POP) / Feb 2010 - First Holden Girls Only Trip to Disney (POP) / Aug 2009 - 25 Year Anniversary Trip (POP) / Aug 2004 - Chris and his Cool Aunt Trip (POP) / Nov 2000 - Surprise! We're spending Thanksgiving in Disney! (SOG) / Aug 1998 - Much needed Family Reunion Trip (SOG) / Aug 1995 - Just the 4 of us (SOG) / Many previous off site trips!
kidsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #701
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Angel16
The bus schedule is posted down at the bus stop. What my hubby did, which we found to be very useful, was to take a close up picture of the schedule with his cell phone. That way, if we forgot what the schedule was, we could just pull it up and we didn't have to carry a piece of paper around.

The only time we didn't care for catching the Shades buses was from Hollywood and Animal Kingdom if we just missed it. Too long a wait in between. If that was the case, we hopped over to the Disney buses and caught either the TTC bus or the Poly bus. But the Shades buses are always on time.

Have a blast!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #702
buffettgirl

also a note about beer/wine. AAFES won't sell to anyone without a military ID. So if you have guests staying in other rooms you will need to do their beer purchasing for them.

hopefully none of you are travelling with mooching brothers who 'forget' to pay you back for the beer.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #703
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

Thank you ALL for the information on wine and alcohol as well as the bus schedule. Sound like our "needs" will be taken care of there. Not too picky on the wine as long as it isn't box wine.

We are getting excited and needed to start moving out to get everything ready for our trip.

Jusero- Great idea of taking a picture of the bus schedule on our phone. We will do that.

I need to contact a car company to transport us from the airport to SOG so will try to take care of that tomorrow. Still have some items to buy for the trip and need to get everything ready for our house sitter and our fur babies. We are avoiding bring out the suitcases until the last as they get really depressed when they see them.

Angel16
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #704
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Thank you ALL for the information on wine and alcohol as well as the bus schedule. Sound like our "needs" will be taken care of there. Not too picky on the wine as long as it isn't box wine.

We are getting excited and needed to start moving out to get everything ready for our trip.

Jusero- Great idea of taking a picture of the bus schedule on our phone. We will do that.

I need to contact a car company to transport us from the airport to SOG so will try to take care of that tomorrow. Still have some items to buy for the trip and need to get everything ready for our house sitter and our fur babies. We are avoiding bring out the suitcases until the last as they get really depressed when they see them.

Angel16
Did you choose a car company yet to take you back and forth to the airport in Orlando? If not, I can make some great suggestions.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #705
buffettgirl

Quote:

Angel16
we rented a car this year as the price came to less than what we'd pay for a car service.

We always use Tiffany Town Car and have found them polite, clean, nice, and prompt.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: