Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #661
bellemeeko1
Shades of Green our home away from home

So I am all set to leave in a couple weeks. We got in on the 30% in Sept deal so we are only paying $92.25. Then today I get an email offer from Shades saying we could extend our stay and get 50% off the new date(s). So I called the hubby and asked if he wanted to go down a day early, and of course it's a YES! So, I called Shades and booked the day before for 50% off ( $61.50 50% of the $123 rate) and then I went to SW to change our flight down and I saved $30! So to get an extra day added on to our vacation only cost us $31.50 all together!

So those going soon watch your emails you never know what awesome deal you may get!

Shades did say in the email that the 50% is only for those already booked....its to get you to extend your stay

Shades of Green 94,96,98,2000,2004,2006,2007,2008,2008,2009,2010,2 0100,2011,2012

2002CR 2009CBR 2011WL 2013 FW

bellemeeko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #662
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

Update, you can see the MK fireworks perfectly from our room, nice plus!

I did get the 50% offer, but it was sent at 3:01pm yesterday after we had already checked-in! If we had of gotten the email a couple days before we checked-in we could have extended the trip, but at this point it's to late, unfortunately. But hey, it's a great deal if you can take advantage of it.

Last edited by BabyFu18; 08-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.
BabyFu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #663
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Walk across the street and have a nice breakfast at the Kona Cafe in the Poly.
I don't know if that would be a good idea for us. My father passed away back in 2008. Right before he did, my mom was with her brother and SIL on a cruise around Hawaii (he went in the hospital sometime during her trip). She doesn't want to remember that trip b/c of that, so we were thinking it best to stay away from Poly. This is also her first trip to Disney without my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW 3 View Post
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/propertymap.htm

SoG isn't listed but its the resort in the middle of golf courses a, b & c.
Thanks. I see see that GF and CSR are near there as well. Looks like CSR is close to AK where our friends are going that day. So we might be able to do breakfast at either GF or CSR depending on their schedule. We're not leaving until early evening to come home.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #664
stitchrulz
I am not spoiled -- A bit past the expiration date, maybe.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
Update, you can see the MK fireworks perfectly from our room, nice plus!
Very cool! What room number are you in?
1995 - CBR (Honeymoon!) 1996 - Dixie Landings 1997 - CBR 2000 - CBR 2001 - SOG 2002 - Contemporary 2003 - Contemporary 2004 - SOG 2005 - Polynesian (10th Anniversary!) 2006 - WL 2007 SOG 2008 - SOG 2009 - Polynesian
2012 - Polynesian

In memory of Stubs, our beloved "Pud" 04/10/2007
stitchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #665
belle aube
Earning My Ears

Arriving early to SOG w/o sponsor

Hi, my family stayed at Shades of Green last year for the first time after years of staying at various resorts, and we found it to be such an amazing property! We're headed back this September, but I've run into a dilemma I need help with.

My family and I are flying in from different cities and my airline has chosen to reschedule my flight four times since I purchased the ticket this spring. I am now landing at MCO five hours earlier than my family, and more importantly, my sponsor. I'll have one large piece of luggage and a carry-on and I'd like to drop them off at SOG, even though I can't check in without my sponsor. I have to call SOG this week to find out if they'll let me past the gate check if I don't have my sponsor with me. I'll probably be taking the SuperShuttle to get to SOG from MCO.

Can you guys think of any other issue or potential help I might not be considering? Thanks!
1982, offsite | 1985, offsite | 1987, offsite | 1988, Caribbean Beach | 1989, Caribbean Beach | 1990, Caribbean Beach | 1992, Caribbean Beach | 1994, Disneyland | 1995, Dixie Landings | 1997, Caribbean Beach | 2008, Caribbean Beach | 2009, Coronado Springs | 2010, Disneyland | 2011, Shades of Green | 2012, Shades of Green | 2013, Shades of Green

belle aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #666
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle aube View Post
Hi, my family stayed at Shades of Green last year for the first time after years of staying at various resorts, and we found it to be such an amazing property! We're headed back this September, but I've run into a dilemma I need help with.

My family and I are flying in from different cities and my airline has chosen to reschedule my flight four times since I purchased the ticket this spring. I am now landing at MCO five hours earlier than my family, and more importantly, my sponsor. I'll have one large piece of luggage and a carry-on and I'd like to drop them off at SOG, even though I can't check in without my sponsor. I have to call SOG this week to find out if they'll let me past the gate check if I don't have my sponsor with me. I'll probably be taking the SuperShuttle to get to SOG from MCO.

Can you guys think of any other issue or potential help I might not be considering? Thanks!
We were able to check in prior to our sponsor being there. About a week before our check in date, our sponsor called shades of green and they emailed her a form to fill out and fax back to them that would enable us to check in before she arrived. Worked flawlessly. YMMV

Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #667
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Palm Suite Review: PIC HEAVY!

We had the pleasure at staying at Shades of Green at the beginning of Aug. The entire resort is BEAUTIFUL and we truly enjoyed our stay.

I wanted to add a picture review of the Palm Suite in case anyone is looking for more information on this room.

The Palm Suite has three bedrooms, a kitchenette, a dining room, a living room area and two bathrooms that are NOT in any of the bedrooms.

Kitchen Area: Has a sink, microwave, FULL SIZE refrigerator/freezer and is stocked with dishes (breakable type), glasses and mugs, silverware, can opener, and a few serving spoons. There is also a 12 cup coffee maker (uses CONE filters or the pods they provide there). Housekeeping WILL wash dishes for you if you ask them to, otherwise there is NO dishwasher. We used paper plates mostly to avoid making more work for us or our housekeepers! There are also two counter stools at the island.

The Dining area seats 6. The chairs have fabric bottoms. We used extra room towels to cover over the cloth so the kids didn't spill and mess up the chairs. Two full length mirrors on the wall if you need them. You can see the doors on the left and right that lead to each bathroom and also two bedrooms.

Computer station: this is next to the island in the kitchen. Computer set up for accessing the internet. The door to the right is the kids/bunk room. To the left of the computer station is the main room door.

I realized that I didn't get a picture of the living room area. There is a fireplace (that works!) with a large flat screen tv over it. There were two three seater couches on each wall and an additional two recliners. Also a coffee table and end tables.

The bathrooms were located on each side of the dining area and NOT tucked into either bedroom.

Bathroom #1 (on left) has two sinks and a ADA accessible tub with duel shower heads.

Bathroom #2 (on right) has ONE sink and an ADA accessible SHOWER.

There are two bedrooms that are identical. They are each REALLY SPACIOUS! Each has a large dresser with a mirror, flatscreen tv mounted on the wall, TWO queen sized beds, a loveseat that pulls out into an extra twin bed, an easy chair and a sliding door leading out to a patio. There is also a closet (with safe)

Then there is the "Bunk" room or kid's room.
the wall is painted with a space mural. there are two bunk beds. with little STEPS that lead up to the top (NOT ladders). The sides of the steps/bunks are drawers that pull out for dresser space. Each bed has a little overhead tv/dvd player AND "night lights" with their own switch. there are two rocking "gaming chairs" and four lockers.

**Edit** Someone posted a question about pricing and occupancy of the room. Like all the other rooms at SOG, pricing depends on rank. SIL is a DOD civilian so we paid the highest rate and in 2012 it was $375 per night for this room. The room will hold up to 14 people. There is the additional adult fee if you have more than 6 adults staying in the room.

Okay, I hope this will help someone in the future.
Sunshine

Last edited by smile5sunshine; 10-19-2012 at 11:26 AM.
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #668
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
Hear now and totally unpacked and settled in, we have a third floor room at the end of the hall facing the quite pool (but pretty much all we see is a tree and a little blue water), the locations not bad though just not my favorite. For some reason it's a lot louder at the quite pool than at the Mickey pool also seems busier at the quite pool (so, not necessarily quite). Anyway, we keep getting the same woman checking us in every year and she's not really helpful with room request or trying to help you change rooms so we decided we wouldn't mess with it. Though none of our requests were met when we checked in we did push for connecting rooms and got it so the rest will be perfectly fine.

The weather is nice right now not to warm, but the man who helped us with our bags said the rain is supposed to set in but the weekend so we will see. Even if it rains we will still do the parks and enjoy it.

Saw a sign for the aafes expansions "this fall" but absolutely no mention of the pool refurb.

So overall, so far so good! If you have any questions I can answer while I'm here I'll do my best.

You were like literally right down the hall and around the corner from us. I wish I would have known while there, but with the crappy wifi we experienced for some reason,
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #669
belle aube
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
We were able to check in prior to our sponsor being there. About a week before our check in date, our sponsor called shades of green and they emailed her a form to fill out and fax back to them that would enable us to check in before she arrived. Worked flawlessly. YMMV

Sunshine
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I'll give them a call this week.
1982, offsite | 1985, offsite | 1987, offsite | 1988, Caribbean Beach | 1989, Caribbean Beach | 1990, Caribbean Beach | 1992, Caribbean Beach | 1994, Disneyland | 1995, Dixie Landings | 1997, Caribbean Beach | 2008, Caribbean Beach | 2009, Coronado Springs | 2010, Disneyland | 2011, Shades of Green | 2012, Shades of Green | 2013, Shades of Green

belle aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #670
Nomad70
Mouseketeer

13 DAYS!!!!

We are so ready for this vacation! Rain or shine we will be there!

New DVC Members as of September 2012!!! WOOHOO!
Nomad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #671
kidsrfun
Mouseketeer

I arrived in Orlando today!! Yay!!! I'm currently at the Pop but will be checking into SOG tomorrow morning! I can't wait!!

February 2013 - Playing tour guide at the Pop! / August 2012 - My First Solo Trip! (SOG) / January 2012 - Holden Girls' Weekend Adventure! (POP) / Feb 2010 - First Holden Girls Only Trip to Disney (POP) / Aug 2009 - 25 Year Anniversary Trip (POP) / Aug 2004 - Chris and his Cool Aunt Trip (POP) / Nov 2000 - Surprise! We're spending Thanksgiving in Disney! (SOG) / Aug 1998 - Much needed Family Reunion Trip (SOG) / Aug 1995 - Just the 4 of us (SOG) / Many previous off site trips!
kidsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #672
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Hello! I am running my first Princess Half Marathon in February and am thinking of staying at Shades. Has anyone stayed at SoG for a marathon weekend? Do they offer any kind of transportation to the race? Would love to stay at SoG but if we have to rent a car to get to the race, it will be cheaper to stay at a Disney property with the mil discount. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #673
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellemeeko1 View Post
So I am all set to leave in a couple weeks. We got in on the 30% in Sept deal so we are only paying $92.25. Then today I get an email offer from Shades saying we could extend our stay and get 50% off the new date(s). So I called the hubby and asked if he wanted to go down a day early, and of course it's a YES! So, I called Shades and booked the day before for 50% off ( $61.50 50% of the $123 rate) and then I went to SW to change our flight down and I saved $30! So to get an extra day added on to our vacation only cost us $31.50 all together!

So those going soon watch your emails you never know what awesome deal you may get!

Shades did say in the email that the 50% is only for those already booked....its to get you to extend your stay

We are staying in September - I have 3 rooms booked... would have loved to get that and save some $$$$ we are at the $92.25 a night..

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #674
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmdavid View Post
Hello! I am running my first Princess Half Marathon in February and am thinking of staying at Shades. Has anyone stayed at SoG for a marathon weekend? Do they offer any kind of transportation to the race? Would love to stay at SoG but if we have to rent a car to get to the race, it will be cheaper to stay at a Disney property with the mil discount. Thanks!
If it going on at MK, your best bet is to walk across to Poly and take the monorail. We were there in January during one of the marathons and they were discouraging you from driving, especially close to the TTC because of the traffic. Buses were rerouted and it was just one big mess. People were swamping the monorail even trying to get from one point to the next to beat their runners, so they could hold up signs. It was a nightmare and we only had to deal with it one day.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #675
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
If it going on at MK, your best bet is to walk across to Poly and take the monorail. We were there in January during one of the marathons and they were discouraging you from driving, especially close to the TTC because of the traffic. Buses were rerouted and it was just one big mess. People were swamping the monorail even trying to get from one point to the next to beat their runners, so they could hold up signs. It was a nightmare and we only had to deal with it one day.
Thanks, it starts at EPCOT but the monorails won't be running yet. We have to be there by 4:30 am or something crazy like that! Was hoping Shades might have a bus running or a shuttle available.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: