Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #196
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

We weren't thrilled with our service at the restaurant either when we went in Febuary. Most likely won't try eating at Shades again next time we stay there. We did like the ice cream shop but the poor girl was working by herself and had a line. It was still a nice treat after a day at the parks.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #197
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
Now the food story is going to give me nightmares.

so, how many actual people were in the restaurant that the kitchen was so backed up?

Really, how hard could it be for them to run a decent restaurant or get decent food? I mean, I know we're paying dirt cheap for the rooms but come on.
Actually, Mangino's was closed!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #198
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
It tasted like cafeteria spaghetti and the breadstick was hard enough to break a tooth.
I will take a stab at what you got. They pulled the sauce from the Garden Gallery dinner buffet pot. Your bread was thrown in the microwave and hardened when it cooled.
AlwaysMoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #199
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
I

It tasted like cafeteria spaghetti and the breadstick was hard enough to break a tooth. When I banged it against my dish DH went into hysterics. He tried to take a bite and couldn't bite it! I then moved on to the ceasar salad. Can't possibly ruin a ceasar salad, you might think. And you would be WRONG! There was about 10 small pieces of lettuce and a handful of croutons. DH said maybe the breadstick was suppose to be the croutons ... funny man! Anyway, when I dipped a piece of lettuce into the dressing, it was absolutely horrible! It was even so bad that, when DH tried it, he had to go into the bathroom and rinse his mouth out. And this is a man who eats danuguon (pork cooked in pork blood) and balut (a pickled baby chick still in the shell).

Anyway, this is my one and only attempt at Shades food this trip ... possibly forever. I think I would rather go hungry.
OMG!! Thanks for the warning. We have not stayed at Shades for years, and silly me was thinking perhaps the food got better.
This is a definitely a big incentive for me to make as many ADR's as possible.
Years ago we got ourselves trapped at what I refer to as the "Never Ending Shades Of Green Breakfast".
I blamed DH for the disaster because he did not want the breakfast buffet like the rest of us, ( he hates his eggs scrambled, will only eat them over easy). I'm assuming there was a meltdown in the kitchen when DH's special order arrived. By the time his food showed up, me and the kids were finished and bored. To add insult to injury, DH hated his 'special' breakfast, and then had to wait for an eternity to get our check. Oh well, I guess some things never change...at least
the rooms are still a bargain!
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #200
robin19871
DIS Veteran

I can relate to the Manginos to go service.. It was a looooong wait every night we ordered.. We even got to the point where we ordered chicken fingers/ff's off the kids menu and even that took over 30 minutes. The worst part is that you have to physically go down and order your food there and wait..I wanted to call and order it first and then go pick it up but was told no.. If they would at least bring some decent food to Evergreens then I would be happy..
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #201
JulieT3
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of the responses on my camera situation. Unfortunately, we did not have any luck, but we did have one of the nicest people I have ever met try to help us out. When I went to the front desk to ask about any battery chargers that might be in the lost and found, I spoke with an employee named Sissy. She told me that she would bring her charger in the next day to see if it worked with my camera. When I checked with her the next day, not only had she looked at her charger, she went to the store and bought some universal cables to see if we could charge my camera on a computer. It didn't work, but I was so impressed with how thoughtful Sissy was. I will definitely write a very complimentary letter to her manager!
JulieT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #202
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

We've stayed at SoG a few times, and the only thing we have eaten there are the breakfast sandwiches by the buses, and the breakfast buffet a few times. We just ate there to save money, if we wanted to eat somewhere good, then we ate on property. Oh, and we had the sports bar thing one night. All the food is so-so. About what you'd expect for the price, I think. I do love how they have the little cafe by the buses, and the food is so cheap there!

I'm sorry your spaghetti was so horrible. Did you let them know? I can't really figure out why SoG doesn't try to revamp their restaurants a bit.

AFM, I finally called and got our suite booked. We chose a regular suite, since it doesn't look like my sister can make it next year. They did not have availability for the entire 2 weeks, so we got on the wait list, but it's only a few days. We have been talking about doing a split stay anyway, since we enjoyed it so much last time. I'm hoping we like the suite, I feel a bit nervous about it because we will have a 3 mo old (God willing, my pregnancies are pretty high risk) and I don't want the baby crying at night to disturb the older kids. I'm very excited about the trip, though!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #203
abolanwoski
Not mean, just says what others are thinking!

Exclamation GO to Facebook to complain about the food!

I started a thread on FB to ask why they aren't doing something about the food service. You should all go there and chime in. They can pretend they don't know about the DIS, but they can't ignore their own fan page on FB! Maybe if enough people lay on the heat in social media, they will be forced to address it.
1999 - Beach Club & Disney Magic
2000, 07, 08 - Disneyland
2003 - Grand Floridian for Halloween
2008 - Disney Magic
2010 - BLT
2011 - Gaylord Palms

DH Me DD6 DD9
abolanwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #204
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolanwoski View Post
I started a thread on FB to ask why they aren't doing something about the food service. You should all go there and chime in. They can pretend they don't know about the DIS, but they can't ignore their own fan page on FB! Maybe if enough people lay on the heat in social media, they will be forced to address it.
We can hope. When I get home, I will do just that. And thanks for starting that thread.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #205
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolanwoski View Post
Actually, there have been many comments about the food on the facebook page, but they continue to ignore it. There is always the one person who raves about the food. Maybe the food management only looks at the single positive comment and figures everything is fine.

I figure since it is a vacation destination, they don't have to depend on repeat customers for income. In addition, they are hoping for exactly the scenario of Jeruso. They have tired customers, make them wait a lifetime for the food, which adds frustration to tired, then by the time they get the horrible food back to the room, they are too tired to hike back to complain. It works for them. If someone does complain, they can say it is an isolated incident and were not aware of any other problems. Rinse and repeat.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #206
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

I'm not sure how many times people can complain. We've been complaining after every trip.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #207
sukhakuli

Maybe they have a contract they're stuck with and can't get out of?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #208
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhakuli View Post
Maybe they have a contract they're stuck with and can't get out of?
I went to SOG for the first time in 1999. Garden Gallery is the same today as it was back then. I would think the contract would be expired by now.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #209
sukhakuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysMoving View Post
I went to SOG for the first time in 1999. Garden Gallery is the same today as it was back then. I would think the contract would be expired by now.
Given that it is the military,you never know. Some of those contracts last forever. And there's no accountability, either. I remember when dh was doing his pre-deployment training they put them in this remote concentration camp like setting on base, and the food was delivered by a civilian contractor. There were a lot of times they didn't bother to show up, and they all went without food. I'm sure that same contractor is still "providing" meals for the troops at that base. He told me that one day all he got to eat for the whole day were 5 chicken nuggets, because that's all they bothered to bring. A lot of those companies have someone in the contract office in their back pocket, so no matter how many complaints they get, they will still renew the contract.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #210
capeseal
DIS Veteran

We found it worked to bring as many snacks as possible and add a grocery run on our last trip. We only ended up having one meal at SOG that way. Kind of sad when microwave-made egg sandwiches are better than the restaurant food at your resort. I'll be honest, we don't even like the ice cream at SOG. I wish someone on the inside could enlighten folks as to why the food (and some of the food service) is so terrible.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: