Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #1846
jusero
DIS Veteran

I just came back from a fabulous week at Shades and the world!

But I have to say I am not liking the new fast pass system at all. Although we were able to get on most rides at least once, we were not able to get on them multiple times as in the past. And I also feel that, because of the new system, rides that usually had little to no wait times now do. For example, Pirates and Haunted Mansion are usually 20 minutes or less. This trip they were both sitting at 30-50 minutes all day every day.

And you really have to hit the FP stations as soon as you get there ... especially at HS. We got there 30 minutes after opening and there were no FP left for Toy Story. We ended up having to stand in line for an hour, and that was the shortest the line was all day.

At Epcot they have a two-tier system for the fast passes so you are only able to get one fast pass in group one, which includes Soarin', Test Track and Illumintations. So you can only fast pass one of them and your other two choices are for things that don't really need FPs to, like Nemo and Living with the Land.

And I found the times to be pretty constrictive since you have to pick the all at one time. Of course, you can change them throughout the day. But that means finding a FP station and waiting in line, again, to change your times.

I just found the whole system to be inconvenient and annoying. Not a "ruin our vacation" horrible, but annoying nonetheless.

BUT!!!! We were at Disney, so we had a magical time!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #1847
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
I just came back from a fabulous week at Shades and the world!

But I have to say I am not liking the new fast pass system at all. Although we were able to get on most rides at least once, we were not able to get on them multiple times as in the past. And I also feel that, because of the new system, rides that usually had little to no wait times now do. For example, Pirates and Haunted Mansion are usually 20 minutes or less. This trip they were both sitting at 30-50 minutes all day every day.

And you really have to hit the FP stations as soon as you get there ... especially at HS. We got there 30 minutes after opening and there were no FP left for Toy Story. We ended up having to stand in line for an hour, and that was the shortest the line was all day.

At Epcot they have a two-tier system for the fast passes so you are only able to get one fast pass in group one, which includes Soarin', Test Track and Illumintations. So you can only fast pass one of them and your other two choices are for things that don't really need FPs to, like Nemo and Living with the Land.

And I found the times to be pretty constrictive since you have to pick the all at one time. Of course, you can change them throughout the day. But that means finding a FP station and waiting in line, again, to change your times.

I just found the whole system to be inconvenient and annoying. Not a "ruin our vacation" horrible, but annoying nonetheless.

BUT!!!! We were at Disney, so we had a magical time!
I am glad you had a fun time but to hear about your FP+ experience.

DH's family has decided we need to do a Disney Christmas but budget doesn't allow for holiday Disney resort rates, so SOG is our best bet. I have no problem with SOG (loved the two times we stayed there) but am less than thrilled about the idea of being on a 'day of' FP+ set-up, particularly at Christmas. We have reiterated to the family this trip will be more about ambiance and taking in the shows/decorations, but I know the expectation is to hit the E-ticket attractions. Reading about how hard that is for off-site guests during these slower times makes me really antsy about the holidays.

BUT - like you said - we will be at Disney so I know we'll still feel the magic!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #1848
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

I am holding out hope that at some point SOG will be included with the onsite guests in making reservations for FP+ at 60 days out. I understand it is difficult because they would have to link the reservation systems somehow but I have faith that it will happen! LOL!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #1849
melificent
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to let everyone who might be interested know that SoG does participate in the Resort Airline Check-In service where you can check your bags for the airport at the resort. However, if you've done it in the past at an on-site resort, you should know that it runs differently at SoG. It's also apparently a well-kept secret. I asked about it the day before we left, and it turns out you need to provide flight paperwork to the front desk the evening prior to departure. So if you intend to take advantage of the service, be sure to ask ahead of time.
melificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #1850
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Hi, sorry I'm sure this question is in there somewhere but being blind I can't read each response. So my question is we are staying at POFQ because we are not going with ex. But his kids have access and military cards as dependents and still in college. I don't think I can make a 13 day trip without seeing Johnny at the spa. So I made appt. since we have been there many times he remembers us.

So question he said just show drivers license at gate and tell them you are going to spa. Will that work? I thought security changed and we need military id? How strict are they? They week we left last year they changed to asking for I'd all the time.

If we can not go in that way, can we go in from oak trails, I know that the gofers are allowed to eat at the resturaunts and such, would that be easier?
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #1851
melificent
Earning My Ears

Johnny at the spa *is* awesome.

FWIW, I don't know anything about the ID requirements when you drive up, but if you walk, there aren't any.
melificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #1852
kristinradico
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have any info on the Mickey Pool closure?? We decided to do a split stay between SoG and AoA to save a few dollars. We will be at SoG on non park days so we planned to do a good bit of swimming!

Kristin
kristinradico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #1853
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

NEW BUSES TODAY!!!
Picture on Facebook!
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #1854
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melificent View Post
Johnny at the spa *is* awesome.

FWIW, I don't know anything about the ID requirements when you drive up, but if you walk, there aren't any.
Got my two appt with Johnny, should be able to walk all 13 days, thanks to Johnny.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #1855
songbird123
Missing the mouse!

Hi! Have a SoG question and thought I would ask here. We are planning a family vacation to WDW the first week of December, including my grandmother. My late grandfather was a retired USAF Sergeant, and my grandmother still has a military ID card and gets military benefits. So since she is going with us, we would be able to stay at SoG and buy discounted tickets there, right? Only been to the World twice, the last time being 10 years ago, and both times stayed at Disney resorts, so we are new to the SoG thing. Thanks for any info!

POFQ-Nov 2004-Went back for more magic!
songbird123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #1856
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird123 View Post
Hi! Have a SoG question and thought I would ask here. We are planning a family vacation to WDW the first week of December, including my grandmother. My late grandfather was a retired USAF Sergeant, and my grandmother still has a military ID card and gets military benefits. So since she is going with us, we would be able to stay at SoG and buy discounted tickets there, right? Only been to the World twice, the last time being 10 years ago, and both times stayed at Disney resorts, so we are new to the SoG thing. Thanks for any info!
If she still has her military ID, she should be able to sign for up to three rooms. But I would recommend calling Shades to make sure. If she is eligible, I would HIGHLY recommend staying there. It is a fabulous resort and has the largest rooms on-site at 500 square feet and sleeps five comfortably.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #1857
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Is there a charge for wifi at SOG these days? Thanks!!
mom2jcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #1858
airplane
DIS Veteran

I just returned from the SOG. 2/5-2/11. I absolutely love this resort. I had 2 connecting rooms, my mom, dad, DH, DS4 and DS2. We spent a lot of time at the resort and pool. We debated staying at a more convenient resort for strollers but I am so glad that we didn't. We were lucky enough to get a special for $97 per night. We saved a lot of money by staying at SOG. The new pool area is wonderful. I love how it felt like the other Disney resorts with lots of action, pool games and music. The golf snack bar by the Magnolia pool had fantastic sandwiches. I am not a fan of evergreens food so this was a fantastic alternative. I also talked to the owner of the snack bar and they also own the snack bar by the bus area. They are New Yorkers and they ship their bagels in from New York. This is great information to know. Especially if you're not fond of S OG food. we ate dinner at Mangino's one night. The food was great and I cannot believe how cheap it was. We took full advantage of the Starbucks and ice cream shop every day. We were in rooms 249 and 250 which are on lobby level and extremely convenient. They are second floor rooms with a view of the waterwheel and kiddie pool.
The parks were very busy during our trip. We had a DAS card for DS4 who is autistic. So we did not need to use fast pass plus which I am grateful for because the lines were very long to get fast passes. We barely went on any rides, but it was nice having the card just in case.
I ordered bed rails for the bed. There was no charge for them and they were very easy to use. You just slide them under the mattress. The first three days of our trip we didn't receive housekeeping until 5 o'clock at night. This was a bit of an issue for us since we were always in the room at that time. So I just made a phone call and asked them to change it to earlier and they had no problem doing that.
Also before we left we were able to print our boarding passes, free of charge in the computer area.
If anyone has any questions let me know and I will try to answer them the best I can. I have stayed at SOG many many times in the past. It has been 4 years since I have been there. A lot has changed. And of course it was a completely new experience traveling there with kids.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #1859
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcc View Post
Is there a charge for wifi at SOG these days? Thanks!!
Free wifi.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #1860
mom2jcc