Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #1501
debbiembyrdrowan
Earning My Ears

We just stayed at Poly a month ago and I must tell you that we were seated on the monorail ready to go with no one waiting to board at 8:25 and we did not make it to MK til 9:03!!!! Missed the train show at 8:45 and the whole point of staying at Poly was the monorail (2 toddler boys, double stroller, without husband for this trip).
Also the bus from Poly to AK also stopped at Blizzard Beach and CR on the way back, 40 min on bus!! We had taken the bus from TTC that am which was fine.
debbiembyrdrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #1502
debbiembyrdrowan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekah8284 View Post

No it wasnt a pack and play was a crib that rolled on wheels. You could lock the wheels in place and was a standard crib, one side of the railing could be lowered other stayed up. I didn't have any problems with it. And was easy to wipe down bars. So unless anyone has been more recently to say if they have changed to pack n plays but they would be harder to clean then a crib. I don't know what room you will be in but I don't think you would have the space to keep theirs in a corner and put your own up. We were in a double queen room and the crib was put between the table and the sofa in the room. Unless you want to block the pathway and have to climb over the bed. Also I think they would notice you bringing it in and house keeping would definitely see it when they tidy the room if you bring your own.
At other resorts it has been a pack n play. Other hotels sometimes have those cribs on wheels. Cribs would be easier to disinfect. I would bring my own soft sheets!! I usually hang towels around the edges. Might even bring a bumper pad if really concerned. The biggest issue for us has been the size. We need the pack n play bc it's bigger than the crib but for a 17 m either should be fine. I would call ahead early as possible to make sure u get a good one or one at all since we have had hotels run out! We need 2.
I have also rolled towels or pillows and tucked under the fitted sheet on one side of the queen bed and just let him sleep with me. Pack n plays make that plastic scratchy noise :P. when we just made our SOG res yesterday they made it sound like it would be a pack n play. Have u ever used the aerobed for kids? Inflatable crib sized mattress with edges (amazon $60). We have 2 but never used them at Disney, might this time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #1503
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

From a post on the SOG facebook page today:

You are now able to view our current bus schedule on our website. Go to the "Resort Amenities" tab, click on the "Transportation" link then click the link that states "view current bus schedule here".

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/busschedule.htm

(there is a very small download pdf link above the schedule)
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #1504
famouschinesec
Mouseketeer

Ticker Test

MAGGIED, one of your ticker dates looks remarkably like mine. Haven't posted here in ages.

SOG Nov 2004, March 2006, March 2009, April 2010, Oct 2011, Jan 2013, May 2013, Dec 2013
DLR March 2011
Offsite Oct 2012, Jan 2013, April 2013
famouschinesec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #1505
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouschinesec View Post
MAGGIED, one of your ticker dates looks remarkably like mine. Haven't posted here in ages.
Yes it does.... you must arrive on Saturday... we come in Sunday. Our son won't be back from college until late Friday night... we needed to give him a day to recoup and me a day to do all the laundry I am sure he will be bringing with him just in time to repack it!!!

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #1506
rachdd
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Hoping you can help me with something. I don't post on this thread (SOG) much but I have followed along for years. A little background first... I have probably stayed at SOG between 8 and 10 times. Sometimes we stay onsite at a "Disney" hotel. Most recently we stayed at WL in December where my husband and I both agreed that while it was beautiful we enjoyed SOG more. This trip will be Me, my two youngest DS's and my parents. My Dad just retired from the military and we usually stay at SOG if they are joining us.

Anyway, one section the SOG thread intro posts are missing is about the different sections/rooms and why you might stay there. With all of that said here is my question. Which is your favorite section/room and why?? We are booked for March and I need to put in a request but can't decide where. Both sections have pro's and con's and I guess I am just interested to see if I am missing/forgetting anything.

Also, has anyone ever stayed in any of the suites?? I have searched for reviews and photos but I have not found any except what is on the SOG website.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #1507
debbiembyrdrowan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post

I wish they'd be a little more specific with their time frames, considering it's already late summer. Their FB pictures make it look like they still have a long way to go.

I know a lot of people laugh and think I'm being petty because "no one goes to WDW for a pool", but for us that really is a big part of the reason we go. We live in the Pacific Northwest and very rarely get the opportunity to swim. We always take a very long (4-5hr) swim break every afternoon. A great pool is a big deal to us, and while Shades is by far the least expensive option on property, I'm willing to pay $35 more a night and stay at the Coronado Springs with their amazing pool, better food options, and Magical Express service plus free parking, if the new pool at SoG isn't going to be done before our mid-October reservation.
Probably not something u r "supposed" to do, but across the street the Polynesian has the best pool ever! We were just there in July and it wasn't crowded and the beach and the view can't be beat.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1508
debbiembyrdrowan
Earning My Ears

We are staying at SOG for the first time the week after thanksgiving. They have free breakfast and dinner that week and I was wondering what to expect. Also, any room requests we should make? And I keep seeing emails and faxes about tickets? I also saw something about no microwaves in the room? We usually bring our own coffee pot (don't laugh) but all 6 drink coffee . Any other tips appreciated!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #1509
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiembyrdrowan View Post
Probably not something u r "supposed" to do, but across the street the Polynesian has the best pool ever! We were just there in July and it wasn't crowded and the beach and the view can't be beat.
No, you're not. In fact, only guests at the poly are supposed to use the poly pool. They do hand out wrist bands a lot of the time and check for who is supposed to be there. Just be ethical and only use the pool you're supposed to, geez. SOG is not a Disney resort so you are not even remotely allowed to use another resort's pool. SOG pools are fine.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #1510
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiembyrdrowan View Post
We are staying at SOG for the first time the week after thanksgiving. They have free breakfast and dinner that week and I was wondering what to expect. Also, any room requests we should make? And I keep seeing emails and faxes about tickets? I also saw something about no microwaves in the room? We usually bring our own coffee pot (don't laugh) but all 6 drink coffee . Any other tips appreciated!
From the very first page on this thread: Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

My tip is to go to the first page on this thread and read all the info about SOG, including the rules.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #1511
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Sigh, I have a ticker, but I got in trouble so it won't show up for a bit. I was a bad, bad girl
What did you do, use a Universal ticker?

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #1512
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachdd View Post
Hi everyone! Hoping you can help me with something. I don't post on this thread (SOG) much but I have followed along for years. A little background first... I have probably stayed at SOG between 8 and 10 times. Sometimes we stay onsite at a "Disney" hotel. Most recently we stayed at WL in December where my husband and I both agreed that while it was beautiful we enjoyed SOG more. This trip will be Me, my two youngest DS's and my parents. My Dad just retired from the military and we usually stay at SOG if they are joining us.

Anyway, one section the SOG thread intro posts are missing is about the different sections/rooms and why you might stay there. With all of that said here is my question. Which is your favorite section/room and why?? We are booked for March and I need to put in a request but can't decide where. Both sections have pro's and con's and I guess I am just interested to see if I am missing/forgetting anything.

Also, has anyone ever stayed in any of the suites?? I have searched for reviews and photos but I have not found any except what is on the SOG website.
I have never stayed in the suites. If we have a lot of people, we usually just get neighboring or connecting rooms. I like to "get away" from our travel companions in the evenings and have some privacy. Love my family, but too much togetherness can cause issues.

As for my room recommendations, we like the 2101 area. These rooms are on the same level as the lobby in the "new" section. They are right across that walkway so they are really close to the lobby, and around the corner from the parking garage and elevators. And because they are so close to the elevators, it is an easy trip up to the laundryroom for not only laundry, but access to the microwaves.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #1513
goofynut41
Disney Veteran

Quote:
No, you're not. In fact, only guests at the poly are supposed to use the poly pool. They do hand out wrist bands a lot of the time and check for who is supposed to be there. Just be ethical and only use the pool you're supposed to, geez. SOG is not a Disney resort so you are not even remotely allowed to use another resort's pool. SOG pools are fine.
Well slap our wrists.... GEEESSST!!!!! I have gone to other pools if I happen to be at that resort... Nobody said anything to me.

goofynut41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #1514
hmdavid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofynut41 View Post
Well slap our wrists.... GEEESSST!!!!! I have gone to other pools if I happen to be at that resort... Nobody said anything to me.
It is against Disney's rules to pool hop. The pool is a benefit only for guests staying at each resort. You didn't get caught, but you aren't supposed to do it.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #1515
debbiembyrdrowan
Earning My Ears

Quote:

From the very first page on this thread: Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

My tip is to go to the first page on this thread and read all the info about SOG, including the rules.
Thank you for your comment but I did read the first page and was wondering if there are microwaves or coffee pots in the rooms already since you are not allowed to bring them. Most hotels these days have them. I have read a great deal about SOG, but since I have two toddler boys i may have been distracted and missed something.

I am looking for kind and helpful comments in addition to all that is on the first page especially from people that have traveled with small children that have special needs...like needed to warm something in a microwave etc... What rooms or areas are most requested. Where to get coffee if there are no coffee pots, especially if you have 3 kids in tow and don't leave them in the room by themselves.

We go to Disney every year and I have read many books and boards to get the most info but there just isn't much on SOG.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: