Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #136
JanetRose
Do I need to know why Captain Sparrow's compass only pointed one way?
 
JanetRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,915

I emailed Earl of Sandwich company and their answer was as follows:

-Thank you for contacting Earl of Sandwich. We are pleased to announce that our Downtown Disney, Anaheim location will be opening in early-mid October. Please check back to our website, Facebook, and Twitter for updates.
__________________
Jaye
JanetRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #137
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one
 
ImTooExcitedToSleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetRose View Post
I emailed Earl of Sandwich company and their answer was as follows:

-Thank you for contacting Earl of Sandwich. We are pleased to announce that our Downtown Disney, Anaheim location will be opening in early-mid October. Please check back to our website, Facebook, and Twitter for updates.
early-mid?
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #138
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed
 
GrandBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Monterey County CA
Posts: 2,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetRose View Post
I emailed Earl of Sandwich company and their answer was as follows:

-Thank you for contacting Earl of Sandwich. We are pleased to announce that our Downtown Disney, Anaheim location will be opening in early-mid October. Please check back to our website, Facebook, and Twitter for updates.
So, on Sept 10 they said late Sept, about 2-3 weeks away. Now they say early-mid Oct, about 2-3 weeks away.

Translation: No progress
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #139
Satchmo128
I could ride Expedition Everest over and over and over and over and...........
 
Satchmo128's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 921

Oh man. Please let that update mean that it will be open Oct 20-23.....or my DH will be very very very sad.
__________________
Me (33) DH (37) Max the Kitty

Trips to Cali Parks: 1999 (April), 2003 (March), 2005 (August), 2007 (September), 2010 (January), 2012 (October), 2014 (July)
Trips to WDW Parks: Our Honeymoon - 2009 (February), 2010 (September), 2011 (November), 2012 (December), 2013 (November), 2014 (December)
Satchmo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #140
DizFan13
DIS Veteran
 
DizFan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
So, on Sept 10 they said late Sept, about 2-3 weeks away. Now they say early-mid Oct, about 2-3 weeks away.

Translation: No progress
Exactly...none at all! When we were the in Sunday, we peeked in the windows and the inside looks worse than the outside. Maybe we are all part of a bizarre social experiment in which consumer brand loyalty is being tested.
__________________
DH ME DS 19 DS 16
DizFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #141
jlmarr
You got that right
 
jlmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 2,859

Photo from today - still looks a long ways off...

https://twitter.com/jlmarr1622/statu.../photo/1/large
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #142
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!
 
*Seanaci*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,716

Man. I hope it's done before our trip in 75 days. We LOVED the one in Orlando DTD. Was really hoping to have it while in Disneyland this Christmas. :P
__________________
Next Trip:
December 2015!!!



Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #143
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket
 
ethanwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 1,237

I JUST got back from DL yesterday and we walked by it daily. Looks like they still have a ways to go... they are doing landscaping right now and painting the building. I would say mid- to late-Oct is probably a better bet. They looked like they were working quickly to get it done though. Who knows though because the inside could be completely done. There were boards blocking anyone from seeing the inside.

It's really going to bring a lot more foot traffic down towards the entrance to Disneyland Hotel, which is probably needed. It's pretty dead down there right now.

Ethan
__________________
Ethan & Liz with Phoenix (9) & Scarlett (7)

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #144
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA
 
Hunnypaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 281

hope its open in two weeks!
__________________

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #145
jlmarr
You got that right
 
jlmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 2,859

Another update - scaffolding still up with worker bees in the courtyard, and I took this pic through a hole in the window covering. Seems like they've got a ways to go, but estimating construction isn't my area of expertise...

https://twitter.com/jlmarr1622/statu.../photo/1/large
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #146
momsquad
DisneyDiva
 
momsquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 231

Drats! This doesn't look good for my trip in 11 days!
__________________
momsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #147
CamoMama
DIS Veteran
 
CamoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,221

Per the caption of a picture montage link that I saw on FB this morning (I don't remember if it was from DLR or Touringplans, I was watching Felix Baumgartner ascend to jump out of a capsule at the edge of space, forgive me) they are "rushing" to get EOS open by Thanksgiving. I'll try to find it again for verification, but it seems likely.


Update: It was touringplans: http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/10...12/#more-32920
__________________

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite

Last edited by CamoMama; 10-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #148
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmarr View Post
Another update - scaffolding still up with worker bees in the courtyard, and I took this pic through a hole in the window covering. Seems like they've got a ways to go, but estimating construction isn't my area of expertise...

https://twitter.com/jlmarr1622/statu.../photo/1/large
Based on that picture, my best guess would be mid-January at the earliest. This is providing that all of the inspections go well and the construction of the ice rink and Holiday Village nearby doesn't interfere with their construction.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #149
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
Per the caption of a picture montage link that I saw on FB this morning (I don't remember if it was from DLR or Touringplans, I was watching Felix Baumgartner ascend to jump out of a capsule at the edge of space, forgive me) they are "scrambling" to get EOS open by Thanksgiving. I'll try to find it again for verification, but it seems likely.
This will most likely not happen based on that picture. Once construction is fully completed, it will take a couple of weeks for the engineers to do their punch list, then a couple of weeks to correct what was incorrectly constructed, another couple of weeks for the engineer's final punch list, then any corrections may take a few days, then a couple of weeks for the initial inspection and however long it takes to fix those items, then a couple more weeks for a final inspection. After all of that, it will then be another couple of weeks for training, then you might see some soft openings.

Now, they could pay to put a rush on inspections, pay the engineers extra to get out there, then we would be looking at about a month from the construction being completed to being able to start training. Since there are no other EOS's in California anymore, they can't simply train at another location first, without putting out a fair amount of money to fly them to Vegas, put them up in the hotel, pay for food, etc. and train them there.

So, Thanksgiving would really be pushing it, as I would say that they are at least a month away from completing construction. You can see why I would estimate mid-January based on that photo, right?
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #150
traylorc
DIS Veteran
 
traylorc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
This will most likely not happen based on that picture. Once construction is fully completed, it will take a couple of weeks for the engineers to do their punch list, then a couple of weeks to correct what was incorrectly constructed, another couple of weeks for the engineer's final punch list, then any corrections may take a few days, then a couple of weeks for the initial inspection and however long it takes to fix those items, then a couple more weeks for a final inspection. After all of that, it will then be another couple of weeks for training, then you might see some soft openings.

Now, they could pay to put a rush on inspections, pay the engineers extra to get out there, then we would be looking at about a month from the construction being completed to being able to start training. Since there are no other EOS's in California anymore, they can't simply train at another location first, without putting out a fair amount of money to fly them to Vegas, put them up in the hotel, pay for food, etc. and train them there.

So, Thanksgiving would really be pushing it, as I would say that they are at least a month away from completing construction. You can see why I would estimate mid-January based on that photo, right?

Sounds like you have some experience either managing or monitoring commercial construction projects. I am in Banking so I have experience financing these types of projects as a lender. Nowadays, my job consists of approving requests to finance these types of commercial projects.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said....however... there will be tremendous pressure to get this thing open before the holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas are some of the busiest times of the year.

If enough "pressure" and/or "incentives" are applied/provided to the general contractor & subs, the project could potentially be fast tracked for a pre-Thanksgiving completion. But I would be the first to admit, it would be a lot of hard work involved. Flash enough cash, and the inspections could be quickly completed. How quickly the employees could be trained is a fair question. But it's not uncommon to do a cram training session forego the soft opening...particularly, if you have hired a few experienced managers from other EOS locations.

At the end of the day, it's one of those situations where I would not be surprised if they got the place opened prior to Thanksgiving...but it wouldn't totally surprise me if opening was pushed into next year.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: