Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #106
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Drooling, drooling, drooling. I can't wait to get some cheese and bread. That's the perfect lunch
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #107
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Gosh I love Europe and your pictures take me right back there! I love Amsterdam....cheese...I would be in heaven too! Good lord, you would have to roll me outta that store!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #108
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
When my grandparents were still alive they went on a month-long tour of Europe, and one of the things they brought back for my mom was a pair of wooden shoes from Amsterdam. I used to wear them and think I was awesome.

It's really cool hearing about all this. And hot dang, that's a lot of cheese.
I'm sure that you were awesome in your wooden shoes.

That is a lot of cheese. I don't know how I am going to control myself.

On a side note, I may have to buy myself a pair of wooden shoes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
Drooling, drooling, drooling. I can't wait to get some cheese and bread. That's the perfect lunch
That IS the perfect lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Gosh I love Europe and your pictures take me right back there! I love Amsterdam....cheese...I would be in heaven too! Good lord, you would have to roll me outta that store!
They are going to have to roll me out of that store! I don't know how I'm going to be able to resist all of that beautiful cheese....
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #109
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I drooled at the picture of the cheese shop! Oh. My. I'm obsessed with cheese. Especially more now since i'm pregnant. There's a gourmet cheese shop that we had randomly found while on a mini-vacay, and I ended up buying a pound of different cheeses...and eating that pound in a few days..i'm so embarrassed and definitely not proud, but ugh, was it good. So I beg you...PLEASE do your best to visit this shop and get pics and tasting reviews!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #110
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I drooled at the picture of the cheese shop! Oh. My. I'm obsessed with cheese. Especially more now since i'm pregnant. There's a gourmet cheese shop that we had randomly found while on a mini-vacay, and I ended up buying a pound of different cheeses...and eating that pound in a few days..i'm so embarrassed and definitely not proud, but ugh, was it good. So I beg you...PLEASE do your best to visit this shop and get pics and tasting reviews!
Oh, it is no question. That cheese shop will be located and visited. It's not an option.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #111
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Um, holy cheese-store heaven.

While living in Germany, I used to FILL UP on Quarkbaellchen. I didn't know what they were at the time, really, but they were delicious. I was very surprised when I found out they were like a cheesy, dairy, sour creamy thing. I ate three every morning; I walked through the backerei on my way to the bus stop and grabbed a little bag of them.

No clue what they were at the time. I'm super picky at home, but when I go abroad I'll eat anything!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #112
MEK
DIS Veteran

That picture of Amsterdam is gorgeous and that is ONE HECK OF A LOT OF CHEESE!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #113
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Um, holy cheese-store heaven.

While living in Germany, I used to FILL UP on Quarkbaellchen. I didn't know what they were at the time, really, but they were delicious. I was very surprised when I found out they were like a cheesy, dairy, sour creamy thing. I ate three every morning; I walked through the backerei on my way to the bus stop and grabbed a little bag of them.

No clue what they were at the time. I'm super picky at home, but when I go abroad I'll eat anything!
I know, right?! I am so excited to go to that cheese store. I'll be in absolute heaven.

Hmm, the quarkbaellchen sounds interesting and likely something right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That picture of Amsterdam is gorgeous and that is ONE HECK OF A LOT OF CHEESE!
I know! It's sad, because when I saw that picture, I wondered how many different things in that store I could try.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #114
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

I worry that we will walk out of that store with no money left over for other things.... Cheese and chocolate are my downfall..
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #115
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
I worry that we will walk out of that store with no money left over for other things.... Cheese and chocolate are my downfall..
I'm worried that I won't be able to monitor my cash flow too well when we're down there. Clothes, beer, cheese, chocolate, makeup......
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #116
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Amsterdam looks beautiful, I'd really love to visit there someday! Are you by any chance, going to be partaking in the uh, "legal" goodies they have over there that are not so legal here? Noooo, I can't see a DISer doing that!

Yum, a bakery and a cheese shop, that sounds like a great day right there, I wouldn't even want to do anything else if those 2 things are on the itinerary!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #117
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Amsterdam looks beautiful, I'd really love to visit there someday! Are you by any chance, going to be partaking in the uh, "legal" goodies they have over there that are not so legal here? Noooo, I can't see a DISer doing that!

Yum, a bakery and a cheese shop, that sounds like a great day right there, I wouldn't even want to do anything else if those 2 things are on the itinerary!
I'm super excited to be visiting there for sure. It does look beautiful.

*ahem* I will plead the fifth on that one. No seriously, that won't be happening.

When I saw those two things, I was like "nope, that's it!"

Seriously though, Europe in general is FILLED with bakeries. They're everywhere. At our families house in Belgium, all of their items come from the local bakery. Seriously, we just don't have stuff like that anymore.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #118
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Belgium - Brussels, Antwerp, and Ghent

All right everyone! Today, I figured we could explore the places that we are planning on visiting in Belgium and the things on my list. There are other cities that we will likely be visiting, but we’ll probably be flying by the seat of our pants there.

Brussels –

Brussels is the capital city of Belgium and probably the most famous. It is home to NATO. Another interesting thing about Brussels is that it’s a bilingual city. Where each other city of Belgium lies in either the Flemish portion or French portion, Brussels does not take either language, but uses both. However, Brussels does lie in the Flanders (Flemish) portion of the country.

The Grand Place –

This is the focal point of Brussels. An interesting point about this is that in 1695, Louis XIV ordered the center of the city to be destroyed and a large amount was. However, in defiance, the Belgian citizens reconstructed the Grand Place in five years.

If you visit the Grand Place, you have to go visit Mannken-Pis. We’ve had a drawing of this in our house for years. It’s a little boy….well, just look at the picture and you’ll understand. He’s such a landmark now, that people actually make outfits for him. He has over 800 now.

We will definitely be visiting the Musées Royaux des Beaux Arts. This museum has a huge collection of local artists. It’s divided into three sections, and the Magritte section is the one I’m most interested in.

Here’s a Magritte in case anyone is curious. Magritte is an archetypal surrealist similar to Salvador Dali.

Centre Belge de la Band Dessinee –

Comic characters are huge in Belgium. Tintin is perhaps the most famous, but this museum covers all of them.

Tintin – You may recognize him from the recent movie, the Adventures of Tintin.

The Atomium –

One of the most famous landmarks in Brussels, it was the centerpiece of the 1958 Universal Expo. Kinda Disney looking if you ask me. Haha.

Let’s talk about food. I want to eat at the Café du Vaudeville. This café has been around for a while, and boasts that Marx, Rodin, and Victor Hugo have all eaten there. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Wittamer - Why do I want to talk about Wittamer….this would be why.

Yup. And apparently, if you eat there, you can actually sample (SAMPLE!!!) chocolates. I’m there….I may have to stay there for a whole day…..

Antwerp –

Now, as you know from before, I have been to Antwerp before. However, we did not get to explore the city like we wanted to, so this is our opportunity.

Rubenshuis – Rubens is one of the most famous Belgian painters, and often at most art museums, you will be able to find a piece of his work. Antwerp is the home to his house, which is open to touring.

Antwerp Zoo – The main reason I want to go here is because it’s been there since my mom was a child, and I think it would be totally cool to bring her back.

Ghent –

Ghent is similar to Bruges, in that it’s filled with canals and waterways.

The Belfort – This is a prominent center of the city.

Dulle Griet – Oh my goodness, I saw the description to this, and I had to put it on my list. It’s a beer academy, with over 250 selections. I’m in heaven.

Let’s talk about beer –

Yes, let’s. Belgium is famous for beer. In addition to chocolate, which means that I’m in absolute heaven. There are several different kinds of beers in Belgium, which means all the more for me to sample.

Trappist Beer – This is a beer that is synonymous with Belgium. The Trappists were an order of monks, and they used to brew it all. There are still close ties to the monasteries today. Chimay and Westmalle are examples of Trappist beer.

Abbey Beer – Similar to Trappist, these beers were produced in Abbey’s. Leffe is an example of an Abbey beer, even though it’s owned by InBev today. (Side note….InBev is a Belgian company, and today owns Anhauser Busch….but they haven’t changed any of the recipes. Shame really. LOL).

Witbier – This is beer made from wheat rather than barley, and it’s traditional to add an orange peel to this kind of beer. The name is in reference to the fact that the beer is “white”. Hoegaarden is an example of Witbier.

Lambic – This is also a wheatbeer, but these are left to mature for a year or more. The result is that they taste kind of winey, which is interesting.

Gueuze – This is when Lambic is fermented a second time, producing this version. It’s matured a year or two more than Lambic.

Kriek – This beer is often flavored with cherries, raspberries, or candy sugar. These ingredients are added during fermentation.

Double/Triple – It’s important to note that the alcohol content of beer in Belgium is high. Like some get up to 12%. That’s crazy. Double and triple were in reference to their content, with double at 6% and triple at 9%. Double is usually a dark sweet brew, while triple is golden blond.

Lager style – This is bottom fermented beer, which tends to be less strong than top fermented beer. Stella Artois is an example of this.

Strong Ales – Yup. That’s a category. This is in reference to some of those beers that get up to 12% in content. Duvel is an example.

The ultimate place to visit for a beer drinker? The Kulminator in Antwerp. They serve 500 different kinds of beer!

Well, that’s it for now. Only a few more weeks to go. I’m so excited!!!

Last edited by IheartDDuck; 05-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #119
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

Lambic – This is also a wheatbeer, but these are left to mature for a year or more. The result is that they taste kind of winey, which is interesting.

Love this stuff!!! I had it for the first time a few years ago. Its hard to find around here, but worth it!!
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #120
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Mermaid75 View Post
Love this stuff!!! I had it for the first time a few years ago. Its hard to find around here, but worth it!!
It's not the easiest for us to find either, but I love it too. My mom has been buying it for years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: