Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #46
Kimmy
Mouseketeer

Congratulations! Great time! You should enter the Pig, it is a lot of fun.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #47
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Congratulations! Great time! You should enter the Pig, it is a lot of fun.
Thanks! I was pleased with it, especially given the number of times we stopped for pictures!

This morning in the locker room at our rec center, I saw someone's Flying Pig backpack and thought of you! I hope you get some cool swag.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #48
debbiedana
DIS Veteran

Great report!!!

I'm starting C25K Monday with a goal of being able to do the Tower of Terror ten miler next September. Great inspiration!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #49
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Sunday, February 27, 2011 continued - Race Recovery Begins

We got back to Riverside by about 10AM ("we" being myself, my brother and Will. Mom wanted to stay at Epcot to watch Off Kilter).

When we arrived at the bus stop, I stood up from my seat and…OUCHIES. My knee has majorly tightened up during the short bus ride. I hobbled down the stairs and my brother (slowly) took off for his room for a nap. Will and I carefully made our way to Fulton’s for a bag of Chip & Dale’s Mickey-shaped pretzels…delicious!

The walk back to the room was, by far, the worst I’d felt all day. I’m sure I looked like a complete idiot – the only way my knee wasn’t hurting was to keep it completely straight, so I limped the whole way back to the room. However I also had some awesome chafing on my legs (this would mark the last time I wore Nike Tempo shorts on a longer run - they sucked), so the walk was a combination of the limping and looking like I’d just ridden a horse for 2 hours or something. I’m sure anyone who saw me walking got a good laugh.

Once we were in the room I immediately plopped down on the ground, took some Aleve, and continued to ice my knee. After icing I took a long, hot shower, which felt amazing; the heat loosened my knee up and it felt so, so much better. I stretched my quads, hamstrings and ITB (the area of my knee that had been bothering me so much) - it hurt when I was doing it but I felt better afterwards. While stretching, I frantically scribbled notes for this trip report!

Having been up for a little over 7 hours at this point, I kept thinking it was later than it really was. I’d ask Will when he wanted to go to lunch and he’d say whenever I wanted was fine, but was I sure I wanted to go at 10:15, 10:30? Oops.

At 10:45, I couldn’t take it anymore. It was time for a nap! I was out cold within minutes, and Will decided to take that time to check out the resort. I woke up at about noon and gingerly took a few steps. I had expected the knee to tighten up again during the nap, but it was feeling pretty good! Woohoo!

After making myself look presentable, I woke up the bro and let him know that Will and I were going to Downtown Disney for lunch, in case he wanted to join us. He said he’d meet us at the boat dock.

After making it to the boat dock at a more normal speed, I decided I wanted to look around a bit while waiting for my brother to catch up to us.

Modeling the bling!

Check out the pool, which we never got to use. I'm sure the hot tub would have felt amazing.

Never went here either...

...or here. Darn!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 05-01-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #50
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedana View Post
Great report!!!

I'm starting C25K Monday with a goal of being able to do the Tower of Terror ten miler next September. Great inspiration!
Thank you!!

I'm so excited for you to start C25K! It worked great for me when I first started running. I hope it works for you too!

I think your goal of running the ToT 10-miler is a great one! Just make sure you don't forget your camera! I'd LOVE to run that race some day (have you seen the medal?! Amazing!), but it's just not going to work out this year. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #51
CAStevens218
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm joining in!! I love reading about Disney running! My first Disney race was the half marathon this past January and it was so much fun! The Princess Half looks amazing....I might have to consider it for 2013!

November 1997 All Star Sports * January 2009 Pop Century * December 2010 All Star Music * January 2012 Pop Century * July/August 2012 Port Orleans Riverside/Beach Club * February/March 2013 All Star Sports/Art of Animation

Are You Sure That Snow is Fake? December 2010 Trip Report
We Are Flying 1000 Miles to Run 13?!? January 2012 Trip Report
This Relaxation Thing Looks GOOD On Us!! July/August 2012 Honeymoon Trip Report
I'm Just SO HAPPY To Be Here!!! February/March 2013 Trip Report - IN PROGRESS!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Great time! Especially for your brother, since he didn't train!
That is a cool feature on your Garmin, that it stops when you stop - perfect for a Disney race with all those photo ops. I wish the online results had an asterisk next to my name that says "She stopped for lots of pictures!"

I know what you mean about the sloping Disney roads - I didn't notice it until about mile 9 or 10, but my right ankle started to really hurt and I realized that the ground was uneven. Not much, but enough to cause some pain after that much mileage. If I do another Disney race, I might try to run more in the middle of the road where it might be better. (I ran mostly along the side of the road to get all my pictures!).

Didn't you love the gospel choir just before mile 13? They brought tears to my eyes (in a good way) - it was like, Hallelujah, I made it!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #53
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAStevens218 View Post
Hi, I'm joining in!! I love reading about Disney running! My first Disney race was the half marathon this past January and it was so much fun! The Princess Half looks amazing....I might have to consider it for 2013!
Hi! I love reading about Disney running too. There are a few trip reports that I have re-read so many times, I swear I can almost quote them word-for-word.

Congrats on running the half this year! Wasn't marathon weekend so much fun? It was almost like there was different energy on property. I loved it!

You should totally do the Princess Half some day. It was a really fun race, and who doesn't want a pretty tiara medal?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Great time! Especially for your brother, since he didn't train!
That is a cool feature on your Garmin, that it stops when you stop - perfect for a Disney race with all those photo ops. I wish the online results had an asterisk next to my name that says "She stopped for lots of pictures!"
I was glad he finished, because I was sort of afraid he wouldn't...but ugh! It's so much easier for boys to just decide, "hey, I feel like running a half today" and just do it. If that were me, they would've carted me off on a stretcher.

I think that Garmin feature is actually designed for if you're stopped at a red light or something, but it did work well for character stops too! And yes, they should totally add in those asterisks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
I know what you mean about the sloping Disney roads - I didn't notice it until about mile 9 or 10, but my right ankle started to really hurt and I realized that the ground was uneven. Not much, but enough to cause some pain after that much mileage. If I do another Disney race, I might try to run more in the middle of the road where it might be better. (I ran mostly along the side of the road to get all my pictures!).

Didn't you love the gospel choir just before mile 13? They brought tears to my eyes (in a good way) - it was like, Hallelujah, I made it!
Well, that sounds like about the time that we noticed it, too. It definitely made me pay more attention this year during the full marathon - both of us were really careful about it - and things went much better!

And yes...the gospel choir is pretty much perfection. Such a great touch. Love them!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #54
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

It's so much seeing all these pictures. I did the Princess this year as my first half ever.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #55
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
It's so much seeing all these pictures. I did the Princess this year as my first half ever.
Congrats on completing the Princess Half! It's a great first half marathon. Wasn't it so much fun?!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #56
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Non-Disney Running
Mini-Goofy Challenge (sort of but not really): A Record-Breaking Weekend!

So this past weekend I ran 2 races on back-to-back days: the Hermes 10-miler on Saturday and the Love-a-Stray 5K on Sunday. As my ticker suggests, I'm signed up for the 2013 Goofy's Race-and-a-Half Challenge , so I looked at this weekend as a practice run of sorts for going Goofy, even though running a 10-miler followed by a 5K is nowhere close to running a half followed by a full. But it did mark the first time I've ever raced on back-to-back days, so we'll just go with it. Here are my mini race recaps!

Hermes 10-Miler: April 28, 2012

I've run this race 3 years in a row now...

2010 finishing time: 2:00:42 --> SO mad that I didn't go under 2 hours!! . Weather was rainy and chilly.
2011 finishing time: 1:54:11 --> This is the time that I submitted to Disney for corral placement for the 2012 full marathon and the 2013 Goofy Challenge. Weather was OMG SO HUMID!

And here we are at 2012. Race morning started stupidly for me...I left home way too late, so late that I couldn't make a bathroom stop before the race began. Same thing happened last year...when will I learn??

Things went well after that. I had planned to try to hold a 10:30 pace for the first 5 miles, then kick it up for the last 5 to try to finish in 1:45 or better. I had trouble getting my bag of Gu Chomps open at mile 2 (I was STARVING for whatever reason) and it actually began to snow a bit around mile 8 (??!?) but besides that and not getting the bathroom break before the race, this was probably my best race to date. I held a 10:10 pace for the first 5 miles and 9:39 for the second 5. Official time: 1:39:07!! Not only is this a new PR (Personal Record) for me, it's also a faster time I can send to Disney to update my corral placement. Woohoo!

And please note that the guy who won the race had a time of 56 minutes...crazy!

After the race, the husband took me to a nice breakfast (First Watch...yum!) and I took about an hour-long nap later that day. Legs felt okay, a bit sore in the hamstrings. Then it was to bed for race #2...

Love-a-Stray 5K: April 30, 2012

I signed up for this race a couple of weeks ago because it benefits a local no-kill shelter. This is a cause near and dear to my heart as our little monster-pup is a rescue.

One day older and one day wiser, I arrived at the race about 30 minutes before the start. My husband was with me - yay! - and the organizers had booths set up with various pet-related items, so we looked at all of that while we waited for the start.

My previous 5K PR is an old one (30:23 from 2009) and I was hoping for a new one, but wasn't sure how I would hold up after the 10-miler. The race began a bit late, but the course was beautiful - very flat and went in and out of 2 parks. Dogs were welcome in the 5K - I think I saw maybe 5-10 running? Anyway, this was another great race for me. My legs felt good and I was able to sprint to the finish in 28:03.5!

After the race we rushed home so that I could shower and we could grab the monster-pup to return to the race site for the 2-mile dog walk! Really fun.

My legs felt good for the rest of the day, but I fell asleep twice and slept in REALLY late on Monday (I had the day off of work). Something to be prepared for when Goofy 2013 rolls around.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 07-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Sunday, February 27, 2011 continued - Post-Race Lunch

At this point, my brother texted to say that he was waiting for us at the boat dock, so we made our way to the other side of the river.

We found my brother sitting on the ground...without his medal! He'd forgotten to wear it and said there was no way he was walking back to the room to get it...he was hurting too much. Oops!

Our ride arrived soon after.

The boat ride was so nice...very relaxing, and it was fun to see the Treehouse Villas and Port Orleans - French Quarter.

The best part of the ride was (with the encouragement of our boat captain) heckling a few golfers that were out on the course! The one guy was setting up to tee off, and we all started yelling "FORE!" He looked right at us and yelled "FIVE!" Then our captain slowed the boat down so we could all watch him take his shot...I think he majorly sliced it, but we all applauded him anyway. It was fun!

If we do end up staying at Riverside again, the boat will definitely be my preferred method of travel to Downtown Disney. The travel time was, I thought, comparable to taking the bus, but the ride was so much nicer.

Lunch today was at Wolfgang Puck Express!

I can't quite remember when we arrived - maybe 1PM or so? - but the place was pretty empty. Quite a change from our experience at the Earl the previous day.

This was our first time eating at Wolfgang Puck, and our lunch was delicious! My brother chose the chicken alfredo and creme brulee:

All that food for one counter service credit! Can you believe it?? It was really, really good too.

Will and I split a Greek salad and pepperoni pizza:

Everything was incredibly good. I'm so glad we tried this place! We'll definitely be back in the future.

After lunch, we headed to Disney's Days of Christmas to pick up our ornaments. One problem - we were supposed to bring our receipt, and I'd forgotten it in the room! D'oh! Luckily the Cast Members were able to look me up using my driver's license, so we were okay! I'd actually come really close to forgetting to pick up the ornament, which I mentioned to the Cast Member, and she said that sometimes people will buy ornaments and forget them, and they'll sit in the store for 3-4 years before being thrown out! Yikes!

Anyway, here's the loot (I took these at home, not in the World):

WALL*E and Eve (Will and I love that movie!)

And my half marathon ornament! I was curious to see if they had any sort of official ornament in the merchandise area at the expo (they didn't...not that I saw anyway, and even if they did, I wouldn't have waited in the line). I then decided that since Ariel was on my bib, I'd find an ornament with her on it and get it personalized. I think it turned out pretty well! The people who do the personalization at Disney's Days of Christmas really do some nice work.

Close-up of the personalization:

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 05-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #58
BurleyGirl
DIS Veteran

I hang my first (and currently only) 5K medal as an ornament on my tree!! Someday, the Princess 1/2 tiara will hang with it!!!!
I didn't chime in and give you a congrats on your finish, but I sure did enjoy reading about it and taking the journey with you!! So, CONGRATS!!
DLH October '05 for the 50th!
YC December '06--First WDW Christmas!
GF October '08
YC November '14: making up for '13 cancelled trip
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #59
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurleyGirl View Post
I hang my first (and currently only) 5K medal as an ornament on my tree!! Someday, the Princess 1/2 tiara will hang with it!!!!
I didn't chime in and give you a congrats on your finish, but I sure did enjoy reading about it and taking the journey with you!! So, CONGRATS!!
What a great idea to hang your medal on your tree! Is it from a Disney 5K? I find that it's pretty rare to get a medal from a 5K race. I hope that you get your tiara soon!!

And thanks for the congrats!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #60
BurleyGirl
DIS Veteran

No, not a Disney race, just a local race. But, I'm especially proud of it because I really had no idea what I was doing, and was blown away when they called my name This was a November race, and my husband was the one who suggested hanging my medal as an ornament when we were putting up our tree that year, and so created a new tradition. That Princess tiara is going to look really good on my tree (hmmm, maybe as the tree-topper...). I'm taking lots of notes from your report, and got my eye on that Garmin you sport!!
DLH October '05 for the 50th!
YC December '06--First WDW Christmas!
GF October '08
YC November '14: making up for '13 cancelled trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: