Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #31
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Yeah Japan is hard to plan for! I looked into it once before, and due to the flights I would have only had 2 weeks to plan - it was just too hard so I gave up...

I'd love to go during Cherry Blossom time, I think I figured it was too expensive to go then though...

I spent all of my StuVac at my boyfriend's house... I actually got more studying done then what you might think, but I'd say the info wasn't really sinking in like it would have if I'd been at home...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #32
battymum
DIS Veteran

My DH has said for a long time "I'd love to go to Japan one day", then I read those awesome reviews of the Disney Parks - looked at airfares , saw some photos of the cherry blossoms and some temples, and thought yeah, that would be good

But not sure of any details, might have to ask DH what he thought he would be doing in Japan.

So many TR's have been started on the Tokyo board - but noone seems to finish them!

So I have been thinking maybe leave on Wednesday 10th (QF is an overnight flight, with no time change) DD misses 2 days of school- we spend Thurs, Fri, Sat Sun Mon in Tokyo, hopefully the blossoms will still be blooming - then do the Disney Parks Tues / Wed /Thur maybe Friday (I have learnt to go midweek) then take the Shink (train) to Kyoto for the historic sites, temples and hopefully see a Geisha. Spend 5, maybe 7 nights there, taking day trips, then hopefully fly out of Osaka.

Accommodation is proving tricky though. Sheraton Grande, a Disney good neighbour hotel has a room that will fit us - but I have no idea of the cost, waiting on email. But would like something more central for the first few days and then something in Kyoto.

Oh well, I need a project
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #33
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
My DH has said for a long time "I'd love to go to Japan one day", then I read those awesome reviews of the Disney Parks - looked at airfares , saw some photos of the cherry blossoms and some temples, and thought yeah, that would be good

But not sure of any details, might have to ask DH what he thought he would be doing in Japan.

So many TR's have been started on the Tokyo board - but noone seems to finish them!

So I have been thinking maybe leave on Wednesday 10th (QF is an overnight flight, with no time change) DD misses 2 days of school- we spend Thurs, Fri, Sat Sun Mon in Tokyo, hopefully the blossoms will still be blooming - then do the Disney Parks Tues / Wed /Thur maybe Friday (I have learnt to go midweek) then take the Shink (train) to Kyoto for the historic sites, temples and hopefully see a Geisha. Spend 5, maybe 7 nights there, taking day trips, then hopefully fly out of Osaka.

Accommodation is proving tricky though. Sheraton Grande, a Disney good neighbour hotel has a room that will fit us - but I have no idea of the cost, waiting on email. But would like something more central for the first few days and then something in Kyoto.

Oh well, I need a project
Have you checked out expedia and Hotels.com i was looking at them the other day just for a rough estimate of what accommodation would cost for the 6 of us i have no idea where any of them were but it gave me an idea of costs.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

I went on lots of family holidays. In year 7 I missed a week either side of the sept/oct holidays to go to WA for a Month. Taking time out of school was a regular thing growing up....but not in year 12.......

It depends a bit on the school but the face time when it happens in year 12 can be VERY important. Yes you have a few free periods but to be honest my days at school were very important. But maybe that's the nature of a private school with lots going on?? Not all schools are like this.

I do know that through a fall at school I missed about a week around trial exams and was stressed to the hilt.
It's very hard to know how each subject will fluctuate during the year and so it's not nearly as simple taking time off in Year 12.

Plus...we have gone from TER's to UAI's to something else now...

If there are changes in the curriculum and requirements who knows what will happen to the structure. While years 11 and 12 are linked and 'continuations' in a way...it doesn't mean what she's doing now and next year will be the same. But again. It depends on the school and the subjects...

As for planning to Japan....good luck with that. Just be thankful Tokyo Disneyland is advertising much more than before and generally more than before because they are DESPERATE for tourists.
We stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and suffered at the dollar plummeting making it WAY more expensive than anticipated 3 years ago.
But it is AWESOME...
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
5ofus
DIS Veteran

My boys are only small, but I have no problems taking them out for a couple of weeks. In senior school, we'll have to re-visit the situation, but when I was in Year 12 - just a 'couple' of years ago now - was when I was whisked off to the US for my first Disney parks experience. I, along with a couple of friends since it was a sister city thingy - missed over a week of Year 12, including our trial HSC. I was not overly motivated at that time of my life and didn't get a fabulous HSC score, but I'll never forget those two weeks. I later went and did my HSC again (while working full time) and got into uni, once I'd figured out what I wanted to do with my life.

As for planning for Japan, it is really difficult, but it can be done! I've been twice now, once in 2006 and the second time in 2010. I like the sound of your plan. We spent half of our first trip in Tokyo and half in Kyoto, but the second trip, we basically just did TDR. Japan is a fabulous country to travel in. The Shinkansen are a great way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto. The two cities have a lot of signage in English and it's pretty easy to get around. We bought a rail pass and did day trips from Kyoto to Nara and Himeji as well. In Nara we hired bikes and rode around to different places all day (including the deer park where I was mauled by deer! ) and in Himeji we hiked all the way to the top of the castle.

As for accommodation for five, have you looked into Ryokans? I know that a lot of them are more family friendly than hotel rooms. In the end we decided to go with the western hotels, but we were on the verge of a booking a ryokan for a while.

If you do decide to go, maybe get your hands on a Lonley Planet Japan book. I LOVED ours, it was like my bible in the planning of our trip.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #36
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

We have no problem with taking the kids out of school, they will learn more on an overseas trip than they will out of that same time at school.

Life experiences, you just can't beat that.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #37
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Battymum, did you talk to the school and, if so, what did they say?
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #38
battymum
DIS Veteran

I have decided if we go - (always an if with me, until I buy flights) it will be on the 10th of April - Wednesday before school finishes - QF is a night flight so will only mean missing Thursday and Friday off school - so I figure thats OK, I dont need their permission!

Cherry blossom is a very fickle season and its not worth arranging around it - I am sure something will be blooming then !

Now Qantas needs to bring out some flights that are not 2k per person!!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

Alannah is in year 3 and will miss 2 weeks, 1 either side of the school holidays. (we actually get back on the Tuesday so she might want to go to school TH or Fri?) not essential schooling, but she is planning on doing a blog when we can to keep track of our holiday for memories and for her friends at school.

If it were high school it would depend on how she was going and what was happening. I moved overseas twice as a child and the experience was very educational, just in different ways.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #40
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have decided if we go - (always an if with me, until I buy flights) it will be on the 10th of April - Wednesday before school finishes - QF is a night flight so will only mean missing Thursday and Friday off school - so I figure thats OK, I dont need their permission!

Cherry blossom is a very fickle season and its not worth arranging around it - I am sure something will be blooming then !

Now Qantas needs to bring out some flights that are not 2k per person!!
Oh that sounds like a good plan. I will be watching your plans with great interest as I need to find trips that can be successfully done in 2 weeks (school holidays) and Japan sounds like one of them. I feel 2 weeks is too rushed to go all the way to Orlando and back
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #41
battymum
DIS Veteran

It seems Japan is a holiday you cant plan too far in advance - I have researched where to stay - Sheraton Grande at Tokyo Bay and then will rent a townhouse through VRBO in Kyoto -my plan is 4 days sightseeing around Tokyo then 4 days at the Disney Parks -then a week in Kyoto, with possible day trips from there. At this stage am just watching flights, I think Qantas prices will drop when Jetstar prices are released in July - DH is worried that it is too expensive for meals etc - but from what I have read its easy enough to eat on the fly for reasonable $. (this is the great unknown - there is no dining plan here!)

I am like you though constantly dreaming of one day getting back to Orlando - I have often thought what I would do differently - maybe we could do just Disney for two weeks- but I would def want to cruise again, and NYC as well - so leaves me back at "we wont ever get back there again"

You know my kids say "would like to go back to NYC - there is so much more to see, we have seen all of WDW" - little do they know, there is sooo much we didnt see!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #42
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It seems Japan is a holiday you cant plan too far in advance - I have researched where to stay - Sheraton Grande at Tokyo Bay and then will rent a townhouse through VRBO in Kyoto -my plan is 4 days sightseeing around Tokyo then 4 days at the Disney Parks -then a week in Kyoto, with possible day trips from there. At this stage am just watching flights, I think Qantas prices will drop when Jetstar prices are released in July - DH is worried that it is too expensive for meals etc - but from what I have read its easy enough to eat on the fly for reasonable $. (this is the great unknown - there is no dining plan here!)

I am like you though constantly dreaming of one day getting back to Orlando - I have often thought what I would do differently - maybe we could do just Disney for two weeks- but I would def want to cruise again, and NYC as well - so leaves me back at "we wont ever get back there again"

You know my kids say "would like to go back to NYC - there is so much more to see, we have seen all of WDW" - little do they know, there is sooo much we didnt see!
Are you worried about the price of food in Japan in general or in TDR? I didn't find food to be expensive at all on either of our trips. We didn't go out for fancy dinners or anything, but you can definitely get by for reasonable $$$

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #43
battymum
DIS Veteran

Thanks 5ofUs - we generally like to plan our holiday budget and make sure we will have enough without using credit - but whenever we mention a possible trip to Japan - everyone says "oh I heard its really expensive there"

So DH not being as well read on such subjects is slightly panicked that we wont get a meal under $400 - and is basically hinting we go somewhere like Vietnam or Thailand - and save Japan for when we are empty nesters - :
I keep telling him if we go to restaurants and order Wagyu beef maybe, but I am sure we can eat for less than that.

While I would like to tour Tokyo and Kyoto on our own I just cant imagine going to a Disney park without the children.

I am waiting for BecBennet to report back -
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #44
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Battymum Jetstar is having a sale for flights including Japan for May/Jun next year i know thats not when you were planning on going but thought you might want to have a look
Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #45
battymum
DIS Veteran

Thanks WAMUM04 - this is quoted from my post on the TDL forum today

I have been looking at airfare today - we can fly Jetstar for $3765 for our family - (no meals, no points, stopover in Cairns or Gold Coast, no bags and we would have to leave Sydney at the ungodly hour of 6:00am - which means leaving home around 4:00am (and either one less day of holiday or 1 more day off school)

So I am still holding out for Qantas - have a budget of around $1k pp and should be able to use Points + pay for a bit of a discount!

Its amazing how much those 199 fares actually cost - So yeah, at this stage I am still hoping for a circa 1K - give or take a bit, fare from Qantas - although if we lived in Cairns would be a cheap flight! Seems to be the going rate except at Christmas time - I dont think Japan is a major school holiday destination - so that shouldnt affect prices too much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: