Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

I think it depends on several factors. What does your daughter want to do after year 12 (does she want to go to Uni)? What are the subjects they are covering in April this year in Yr 12? Some topics are crammed into a small period of time; others take a few weeks. What are your daugher's learning patterns like (is she advanced, average, or does she struggle - you mentioned she did well in other subjects previously)?

I don't think taking her out of school for a small period is problematic IF:

1. You are able to arrange with teachers to provide her with the the material they'll be covering (you referred to having this available online). This study should be completed by your daughter in her own time before you go away. Get feedback on this work from teachers in advance if you can. Perhaps make a contract with your daughter so she knows that this is a condition of the holiday.

2. Ensure that you won't be missing any examinations/tests. I know they have them all over the place.

Year 12 is a stressful time for teens but a good plan makes the year more manageable. Being on top of the work and having a plan that she won't deviate from is the key to successful study during this year.

Last edited by Royal Consort; 04-16-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

I'm a recent school leaver (well, not so recent anymore, finished in 2010) and our trip was kind of a celebratory trip for me finishing (that's how I like to see it, but it wasn't really!). We didn't miss any school as we travelled in the summer holidays, in fact we arrived back in Melbourne on the Saturday and my sisters' were at school on the first day back on Monday.

This topic seems to get really fierce on the other parts of this board (as in, from the Americans) but Australian schools generally have a relaxed outlook on taking holidays during term, and most of the time the teachers will assign work or tell the younger kids to do a holiday journal.

(Just read that you're from Sydney so this is probably no help) But in Victoria with VCE (I'm assuming it is similar nation wide) Year 12 subjects are (usually) 50% coursework 50% exams or 66% exams, 33% coursework. SACS are the tests that coursework grades are decided on and usually around 3-4 are done per term. Some schools are more lenient than others about when these are done; at my school if you were sick on the day of a SAC you needed to get a Dr's cert to be able to do it another day otherwise you got a no grade. Other times if many of our class had another test on that day our teachers would just reschedule the SAC. So maybe it is best to talk to your child's HSE co-ordinator and see what they think. In the end, it probably won't influence their end ATAR score as long as the work that will be missed is caught up on before returning to school.
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

hey

for a change i'm not going to even wade in here..its up there with "to smack or not to smack" type of question...you just parent according to what you feel best for that particular child, their strengths and their needs...

ok, I'm going back to being a pirate
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #19
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

It's only a week. I am sure your DD will find out what her assignments are and will be able to catch up.

I have never had a problem with taking kids out for holidays. Although it is frowned upon at my DS's school, everybody does it. I have done it almost every year except last year. He's still in primary, but I will do it in Senior school if I check with the school and there aren't any exams or anything important on that week.

Gosh, some of my friends give their kids "mental health days", one has her kids each having one on the day of their choosing each term . Meaning they want a sleep in and can't be bothered taking the kids to school or making lunches that day! Have to say I haven't done that yet. But out for a holiday, yes I am guilty of that.

So if it's ok with you, ok with your kids school, then enjoy your trip
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

ooohhhhh..I do love a mental health day
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #21
battymum
DIS Veteran

I have no problem with it - in younger years, in fact I think people get too worked up about it - even if they do miss stuff in year 3 or 4 - in the scheme of it, what does it matter. DD was put into an advanced class in year 4 - grouped with 5 & 6 -in effect she missed a lot of year 4 stuff, she has gotten by without it - (she missed Australian Colonialism and was pretty peeved that she didnt get to go on the excursion to the rocks with the rest of the year 4's) -

Have you ever pulled out your Year 4 report for a job interview?

I dont like them to take days off for no reason or even if they are not well as I think it helps in building a good work ethic - you cant just stay at home cause you feel like it.

But this is Year 12.....

If only we had gone these holidays - Easter was later, and holidays started from the 6th, teachers had a staff development day on the 5th and as it is Catholic school, Wednesday was taken up with Liturgy.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #22
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

That's it. I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #23
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
sounds like a plan.....I save mine for around term 3, mid way thru... sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all take a "mental health day". Really as Battymum said, it really does not set a good example for the rest of their life.

Everytime I hear someone giving their child a "mental health day". I say "what for" One mother just says "oh they are just so tired". So get them to bed earlier The one that gives each of her kids one each term, blows my mind.

Maybe I have it all wrong. I need DS to go to school for my mental health To occupy him all day when he's not at school, no thanks, send him to school
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

Gosh, I used to wag school all the time in year 12. Lol. and I didn't do any worse because of it, I did ok but I wasn't very motivated. Personally I don't think a week in the first time would hurt. I have a very academic friend I year 12 so I'll get her opinion on this. We takes school very seriously.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Toy Story
DIS Veteran

My DD was in year 11 when we took our trip, in the first week of school we were advised that students would need permission to take students out of school for extended periods (there was a lot of international students at the school).

In the ACT there is continual assessment we took her out during a class free week. In years 11 and 12 she had assessment to do during two lots of the school holidays.

My suggestion is to talk to the school and ask them what happens during that week that she might miss.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #27
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs1234 View Post
Gosh, I used to wag school all the time in year 12. Lol. and I didn't do any worse because of it, I did ok but I wasn't very motivated. Personally I don't think a week in the first time would hurt. I have a very academic friend I year 12 so I'll get her opinion on this. We takes school very seriously.
My friends and I spent many long hours watching monty python movies and zooming around the harbour in a tinny whilst in yr 12 ahhh, the 80's, gee I miss them, back in the days where 6-7 teenage girls could overcrowd a tinny on one of the busiest harbours (also after just discovering west coast coolers), and the harbour police didn't blink an eye......OMG how wasn't I killed!!!!!

and see, it didn't hurt me much at all....... I wouldnt be the pirate I am today if it wasn't for those times....
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
emum
An old salt re-living her youth through Disney

We're in Hawaii at the moment, and won't be back until the start of May. The kids are missing various numbers of days of school, but I'm not too concerned with the first week back, because of the Anzac Day holiday mucking it up. They're also missing half of the second week. I was wary of DD1 missing so many days of Year 10, but not worried about the younger 3, since they're still in primary.

Plus, this is a major family celebratory trip, so wanted them all here.

I'm already attempting to tweak our next 2 holidays, but will not allow the kids to miss any more than one or two days of year 11 or 12. Just too important, IMHO. I'm even worried about taking DD1 going to Alaska in ideal stuvac time in year 11.

FWIW, I'm seriously contemplating Japan - didn't realise how good the airfare / FF redemption numbers were.

I think the most nerve wracking part is having to seek written permission from their various principals LOL !

Good luck.

Cheers,
Sally
A Month of Disney - completed 2010/11 ....Part 1 - GCH CL 12/25 - 12/29; Part 2 - BWI CL 12/29 - 1/6; Part 3 - Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repo Cruise 1/6 - 1/21; April 2012 - 20th Wedding Anniversary - 4 nights Waikiki, 4 nights Waikoloa (Big Island), and 9 nights Aulani

DVC Members at Aulani since January 2011
July 2013 - Disneyland and Alaska Disney Wonder cruise booked
December 2014 / January 2015 - Undecided, but will do something before DD1 heads off to university

emum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #29
battymum
DIS Veteran

OK, just so everyone knows apart from being beautiful, there is a lot of festivities on during cherry blossom time - that is why I am keen to be there at that time - its not just to see some blossoms.

I am finding a Japan trip very hard to research - all the names start sounding the same. I dont know which area to stay in or avoid - and its difficult to find accommodation for our family.

Its early days, but i wish the Tokyo board was as active as this one.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #30
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
OK, just so everyone knows apart from being beautiful, there is a lot of festivities on during cherry blossom time - that is why I am keen to be there at that time - its not just to see some blossoms.

I am finding a Japan trip very hard to research - all the names start sounding the same. I dont know which area to stay in or avoid - and its difficult to find accommodation for our family.

Its early days, but i wish the Tokyo board was as active as this one.
I loved Tokyo.....awesome country, strange but awesome

a tad expensive (but that was 4 yrs ago when our dollar was ), and OMG cold in December but would love to go back in sept/Oct..perfect weather...did I mention how cold it was in December???

best travel sites are actually the official government ones....and yes, the names do all sound/ look/ smell alike

keep us informed re your plans

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: