Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #751
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBornNemoNut View Post
To TwinPrincessMermaids:

Please post back and let us know after your cruise which server you had. I just sent off a b'day card and letter to Sammy where I was inquiring if he would be onboard during the EBTA in a few weeks and if he was not going to be available, then who could he recommend that would be onboard during our upcoming cruise. Specifically, I was inquiring if I MADE would be onboard in hopes that one or the other of them could be our servers.

Fingers Crossed.
When sending correspondence to Sammy, please remember to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, along with paper for use with correspondence. Both Sammy and I Made are phenomenal!

Steven

Last edited by sdlong329; 05-07-2014 at 09:44 AM.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #752
BamaBornNemoNut
Mouseketeer

I did along with some extra stamps he could use or share! I know the b'day was a little early, but maybe I will be able to wish him happy b'day onboard the Magic.
BamaBornNemoNut is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #753
katds10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarefb View Post
We got off the wonder yesterday! He went on vacation a couple of weeks ago but will be returning to the wonder in a few weeks!
Wonderful! Thanks! I want to bring a little gift for him this time just our appreciation (he was so sweet to our 3 year old, she still talks about her "friend" Marco!).

Anyone know what kind of gifts they can/can't accept at guest services?
katds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #754
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBornNemoNut View Post
To TwinPrincessMermaids:

Please post back and let us know after your cruise which server you had. I just sent off a b'day card and letter to Sammy where I was inquiring if he would be onboard during the EBTA in a few weeks and if he was not going to be available, then who could he recommend that would be onboard during our upcoming cruise. Specifically, I was inquiring if I MADE would be onboard in hopes that one or the other of them could be our servers.

Fingers Crossed.

When is Sammy's birthday. Hopefully we are not too late.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #755
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know for sure if Corona is still on the Magic in the salon? He gave me my best haircut *ever!* and I'm thinking I want to go back onboard just to get my hair cut again!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #756
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!

This is an awesome thread! Subbing so I can check out servers for our Jan 2015 cruise on Fantasy. Thanks to everyone for posting!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #757
abridgel
Mouseketeer

Is there an easy way to find out who was your serving team - we were on a bahamian cruise on the Magic in Feb - I remember the assistant server's name was Cookie but I can't recall our server's name - was a really nice guy though and would love to have the whole team back.

Last edited by abridgel; 04-14-2014 at 01:55 PM.
abridgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #758
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by katds10 View Post
Wonderful! Thanks! I want to bring a little gift for him this time just our appreciation (he was so sweet to our 3 year old, she still talks about her "friend" Marco!).

Anyone know what kind of gifts they can/can't accept at guest services?
If you are referring to a Head Server, Server, Assistant Server, or Stateroom Host ... shake their hand ... telling them how much you enjoyed their hospitality ... consider putting cash in their hand during the hand shake! It's the easiest, but not always the most personal.

If you "bond" with your cast member, you should talk about THEIR likes ... their homeland, etc. Start asking them what THEY like on day #1 or day #2 ... then send them what you can via US Mail. Often, American or Canadian chocolate works wonders. Even cast members who do not care for chocolate will appreciate the thought ... and will likely trade the chocolate with other cast members (when I am giving chocolate to newer cast members ... I tell them, if the do not like it ... use it for bartering / trading with other cast members).

Cast members are not permitted to have hard liquor, but then CAN accept wine. I always ask what wine they like, before purchasing something I *think* they would like.

Enjoy!

Steven

Last edited by sdlong329; 05-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #759
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
When is Sammy's birthday. Hopefully we are not too late.
I started a small list of birthday MONTHS for some of the more popular cast members (see page 1 of this post). I am able to add servers and their birthdays to the list, but you MUST make sure it is okay to publish their first and last name, home country, and birthday MONTH (I will not post a date or year).

FWIW - Sammy's birth date is late May ... so I list May as his birth month. Honestly, if you want to do something special, tell your Head Server you wand a birthday cake for Sammy ... REGARDLESS of when you are on the ship! Head Servers can authorize all sorts of stuff!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #760
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by abridgel View Post
Is there an easy way to find out who was your serving team - we were on a bahamian cruise on the Magic in Feb - I remember the assistant server's name was Cookie but I can't recall our server's name - was a really nice guy though and would love to have the whole team back.
Unfortunately, unless you retained your gratuity stub, there is no way to now the names of the cast members on your team. That aside, please understand, the teams rotate on a regular basis. Head Server's change teams, as do Servers and Assistant Servers.

Steven
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #761
bvpascoe
Disney Fan

Steven
You are such a wealth of knowledge and so very dedicated to helping all of us find our favorite cast member. We are cruising the Fantasy this May and I had no idea how popular chocolate was among the CMs! Will definitely be bringing some! I am kicking myself about gratuity stubs - saved every other paper from our Dec 2012 Fantasy but those seemed to have gone up in smoke. Fingers crossed and pixie dust we see our "old servers" on this because they were FABULOUS. I'll be sure to get last names this time & share.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #762
candmfox
Earning My Ears

Palo Server

One Palo server you must try to request, at least once, is Luis from Portugal. We last saw him on the Dream in August 2013, and he is fantastic. Apparently he is assigned VIP groups all the time - not a bad endorsement. I am not sure, but when we last saw Alexandre (Palo Maître 'd) in January 2014, Alexandre might have said that Luis was off contract and might be returning to the Magic with him?? Either way, if you can request Luis, you won't be disappointed. Alexandre is also a class act.
Done - 4/2014 Magic, 1/2014 Magic, 11/2013 Disney Fantasy, 8/2013 Disney Dream B2B,11/2012 Disney Fantasy, 12/2011 Disney Magic NYE, 11/2011 Disney Magic, 12/2010 Disney Magic, 03/2010 Disney Wonder, 11/2009 Disney Magic, 11/2008 Disney Magic, 12/2007 Disney Magic, 5/2007 Disney Wonder, 11/2006 Disney Magic, 12/2005 Disney Magic
candmfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #763
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpascoe View Post
Steven
You are such a wealth of knowledge and so very dedicated to helping all of us find our favorite cast member. We are cruising the Fantasy this May and I had no idea how popular chocolate was among the CMs! Will definitely be bringing some! I am kicking myself about gratuity stubs - saved every other paper from our Dec 2012 Fantasy but those seemed to have gone up in smoke. Fingers crossed and pixie dust we see our "old servers" on this because they were FABULOUS. I'll be sure to get last names this time & share.
(Fantasy - May) Make sure you ask for Ivan Frick in Palo. There are two Ivan's in Palo on the Fantasy. Ivan Frick has been a good friend of mine (ours) since we met in 2008 (he was a MDR assistant server at the time).

Do you have one of those FOLIOS which DCL handed out as a Castaway Club gift? I store stuff inside from past cruises (beer stein exchange tickets, as well as cast member gratuity stubs).

Without being condescending, if a cast member met my mark of approval, I mention them in this thread (for posterity). If I deem a cast member to be phenomenal, I make sure I make arrangements to keep in touch with them online (if they are willing) PRIOR to the end of the cruise.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #764
sdlong329

5/6/14 server update

Ivan Frick, Fantasy Palo Server - now back on the Fantasy

Laszlo Gion, Magic Palo Server - now off the ship (end of April), but due back on the Magic in July

Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #765
sdlong329

Thoughts on gratuities

Gratuities vary from cruise line to cruise line ... not only does the dollar amount vary, but also, how they are distributed also varies. Some cruise lines (such as Royal Caribbean) take the gratuities paid on your stateroom account (folio), and divide them evenly among the staff for the entire dining room. This means, if your servers were phenomenal, but servers at other tables were horrendous ... all are sharing in the gratuities you paid. With the possible exception of bar tenders in certain situations, DCL does not share or divide gratuities. Every dollar you designate for your specific head server, server, assistant server and stateroom host goes directly to that cast member. In the rare instance an alternate cast member had to replace your scheduled cast member (temporary illness, etc), the gratuities are divided based upon the number of days of service by each cast member.

Have you ever NOT given a gratuity to a cast member on your stateroom account? Whether you gave them cash, or thought their service was abysmal, I personally believe someone at DCL monitors the gratuities (and/or lack thereof) as paid on your stateroom account. Accordingly, if a cast member may not be up to 100% on a particular day ... I do not hold that against them with respect to gratuities (many of us would be in trouble at work, if we were paid based upon our daily performance). On the other hand, if I truly appreciate the extraordinary service of a cast member, I typically provide them with the suggested gratuity (paid on my stateroom account), and offer additional cash on the night before debarkation. While it may not be the most personal method of showing appreciation, cash speaks volumes, and everyone can use cash.

In the event you are sailing on a cruise to a region which does not use U.S. currency, consider offering your cast members bonus (cash) gratuities in the local currency (Euros, etc). This is a good time to check your pockets to see if you have any foreign currency previously set aside to purchase trinkets or beverages while in a foreign port. Let's face it ... those 3 Euros will not do much for you in Orlando, but your cast member will be in a position to use those Euros while in port!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: