Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #631
rays2001
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRichFam View Post
He told us he had a few more months before he was "off" for awhile so you should be good! I called DCL and asked to be assigned to him and they obliged.
TheRichFam,

Glad to hear that he won't be "off" for a few months. We are looking forward to seeing him again. We really enjoy his service and always request him for our cruises.

Thanks for the reply!
rays2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #632
UK-Simon
Wow! I'd love to see the Tennis Racket for that ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals01 View Post
He is back on the fantasy, saw him last week
Too bad- was really hoping he's be on the Wonder...

Thanks for the replies!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #633
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

We fell in love with Aida and Oliver on the Magic in early January... would love for any future travelers to say "HI" for us, and if anyone hears of them moving (preferably to the Dream as that's our next cruise) please let us know!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #634
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
We fell in love with Aida and Oliver on the Magic in early January... would love for any future travelers to say "HI" for us, and if anyone hears of them moving (preferably to the Dream as that's our next cruise) please let us know!
Were they servers? Looking for some good servers on the Magic. Loved our server on the Dream a few years ago, but in 4 cruises he was the only memorable one. We've had some adequate ones and some awful ones. A good server makes dinner something special.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #635
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

yes, servers in the MDRs... they were great for us... we really enjoyed chatting them up, formed a great comfortable friendship in a short time (we actually did a b2b so we had them for seven nights), and they "got" us...
were they the "best" servers? probably not... sometimes a little slow, but very human and hard-working, wanted nothing more than to please us! They remembered our favorite things (i.e. my dd liked a big cup of ice every night), brought us our fave drinks right away, etc. There were no "magic" tricks or crazy fun stuff, but friendly, polite and made us feel very comfortable...

They also had their hands full w/their other tables being far more demanding... between the two cruises they had one table w/a crying baby every night, so forever keeping one parent's food hot, cutting up one's food, etc... another two tables were a few couples and about a dozen+ of their children, sitting away from the parents wreaking havoc, making a huge mess, etc... another was a large group of Indian families requesting off-menu/traditional Indian cuisine items at every meal... they were really kept on their toes!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #636
PolyPrincess19
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieseem1 View Post
Looking to see if Tolentino Gawan Galvez (Phillipines) or Ivan Gomeniuk (Ukraine) were on the Fantasy!?

Hoping hoping hoping they're there in February!
I don't know if you have already gone on your cruise, but Ivan is on the Dream now. We met him in Sepptember and he said he had been there about 3 weeks. We requested him on our Feb 2 cruise but we didn't get him. Another server told us he was on vacation. Hoping he is there in September!

10/02 - Music ~ 6/03 - Movies ~ 3/06 - Music ~ 3/2007 - Movies ~ 3/2009 - Off-site ~ 10/10 - Offsite ~ 4/11 - Offsite ~ 11/11 - Movies / WL ~ 5/12 - WLV ~ 9/12 - Sports ~ 5/13 - Sports ~ 9/13 - Poly / BLT / 1st cruise on Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamian ~ 11/13 - Pop / CBR ~ 2/14 - BWV / Disney Dream 4 nights ~ 4/14 - 1st Disneyland Trip - Offsite ~ 11/14 - Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western / POFQ ~ 4/15 - Disney Wonder - 5 night Western ~ 11/15 - Disneyland - DLH / GC
PolyPrincess19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #637
Fivepin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
GREAT NEWS! Rado said he believes he will indeed be on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving! If you read some of ,my other posts, you might consider bringing him US or Canadian chocolate. I typically give small amounts to my server and assistant server after dessert. Most appreciate the thought. I tell them, if they do not like chocolate ... trade it with another cast member. That aside, Rado will not trade ... he will savor the flavor!

Side note: You might want to ask for Zsolt Szep (Hungary) as a back-up server. If you need a Palo Server, ask for Ivan Frick (Hungary) who also loves chocolate. Currently, there are two servers named Ivan (in Palo) ... so please be specific.

ENJOY!
Hi Steven-

Thank you so much for finding out. Going to put in my request! I always bring little cellophane bags filled with assorted Lindor truffles and Ghirardelli squares. Any particular one he likes?
I do know Ivan-he was our server in Palo on the Fantasy last Thanksgiving.

Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 9/23/95
Cruises: 9/14/2002 1st Disney Cruise West Caribbean; 10/2/2004 Eastern Caribbean; 8/20/2005 14 nite Panama Canal; 9/16/2006 Double Dip with Costa Maya; 5/26/2007 11 nite Mediterranean; 5/1/2008 3 night Wonder Best Friend Cruise; 9/11/2008 3 night Wonder Anniversary Cruise; 10/11/2008 Eastern Caribbean; 11/14/2009 Double Dip;1/21/2010 3 nite Wonder Mini Getaway; 7/6/2010 12 night Northern European Capitals Cruise1/26/2011 Dream MV;7/12/2011 Alaska Cruise;11/17/2011 Dream B2B; 3/31/2012 Fantasy MV; 4/29/2012 15 nite Hawaii Cruise; 7/13/2012 2 night NYC Cruise to Nowhere; 8/10/2012 Double Dip; 9/20/12 3 Nite Anniversary Cruise;11/18/12 3 Nite Vow Renewal Cruise; 1/10/13 3 Nite 1st DVC Member Cruise; 6/23/13 4 nite Dream Cruise; 11/23/13 Thanksgiving on the Fantasy; 1/14/14 3 Nite Magic Cruise in the Royal Suite
Trips to WDW:too many to count
Fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #638
scilady
Earning My Ears

Laurell from Oceaneer's on Magic

My youngest daughter feel in love with Laurell @ Oceanerr's last week on the Magic. Unfortunely, when we went to turn in her band & say our goodbyes, she was already off shift Needless to say, my kiddo broke down.

She would like to send her a letter however, we don't know her last name. Has anyone ever mailed a letter to a CM without a last name? Or is someone by chance going on the Magic soon & could solve this mystery for us
scilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #639
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scilady View Post
My youngest daughter feel in love with Laurell @ Oceanerr's last week on the Magic. Unfortunely, when we went to turn in her band & say our goodbyes, she was already off shift Needless to say, my kiddo broke down.

She would like to send her a letter however, we don't know her last name. Has anyone ever mailed a letter to a CM without a last name? Or is someone by chance going on the Magic soon & could solve this mystery for us

Based upon the first name and size of the department, I assume (hope) someone shoreside will be able to isolate the proper cast member ... if not ... you've only lost the cost of a postage stamp. Since you do not know if the cast member is currently onboard, delivery of the letter may be delayed. I normally would not suggest people write a letter to a cast member when only a first name is known ... especially when writing to someone in a larger department (Main Dining Room, Stateroom Host, etc). As an aside, it might be a good idea to include a picture of your child (or paste a digital picture) in your letter.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #640
sdlong329

CAST MEMBER BIRTHDAY list

(bumped, from an earlier post) ...

We've ALL seen or heard of a guest celebrating a birthday while on DCL. Frequently, a server (MDR or Palo) is notified, and a birthday cake or dessert is presented to the guest, with other servers joining in with birthday wishes. Many guests enjoy the caring thoughts of appreciation and recognition ... BUT ... what about the cast members? THEY HAVE BIRTHDAYS, TOO! During a cruise in 2013, we learned our Main Dining Room server's birthday was upon us. We adored him so much ... we wanted to do something to recognize our server's birthday. Here's what we did ...

1) We summoned our Head Server ... indicated our server's birthday was upon us
2) We asked our Head Server if WE could present our server with a birthday cake / dessert ... and sing Happy Birthday to him
3) As you may know, cast members are NOT permitted to consume any food prepared for guests (it is grounds for immediate termination)
4) A Head Server is able to authorize a deviation, which would enable a cast member to have (eat) food which would normally be prepared for guests
5) In order for a cast member to be able to have this food ... a Head Server must authorize it in writing
6) In our circumstance, the Head Server informed our server that one of the guests at our table was celebrating a birthday
7) As is normally the case, the server brought out a birthday dessert, and was joined by several servers from surrounding tables (to sing Happy Birthday)
8) When the servers arrive at the table, the Head Server would normally announce a birthday for Guest "x." However, in this case, the Head Server indicated it was our Server's birthday ... and lead everyone in a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday TO OUR SERVER.
9) Upon conclusion of the birthday wishes, we told our server ... the dessert was FOR HIM! Ordinarily, servers know they are not permitted to consume anything prepared for guests. However, the Head Server told the server the guests asked for the server to enjoy his birthday, and his birthday dessert.

The surprise and joy on the face of our server was unmistakable. Think about it ... these servers jump through HOOPS to take care of US. This was a small token of appreciation from guests to a server. Please consider random acts of kindness towards your cast members. If you know their birthday month ... ask your Head Server if you can sing Happy Birthday to your server (don't forget the cake / dessert)!

KNOWN SERVER BIRTHDAY MONTHS: (posted, with permission from the named cast members)
MAY: Ivan Frick (Hungary) - Palo Server / Fantasy
MAY: Laszlo Gion (Hungary) - Palo Server / Magic
MAY: Sompong "Sammy" Poonchuroensuk (Thailand) - Main Dining Room Server / Magic
SEPTEMBER: Radoslav "Rado" Hristev (Bulgaria) - Main Dining Room / Fantasy

***If you know the Birthday MONTH of a DCL Server or Assistant Server, AND, if the cast member has authorized you to post their birthday month (no date or year, please), please contact me via PM. I will obtain the information from you, and update this thread. Remember, I will need their first AND last name, as well as their home country and department.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #641
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
... They also had their hands full w/their other tables being far more demanding... between the two cruises they had one table w/a crying baby every night, so forever keeping one parent's food hot, cutting up one's food, etc... another two tables were a few couples and about a dozen+ of their children, sitting away from the parents wreaking havoc, making a huge mess, etc... another was a large group of Indian families requesting off-menu/traditional Indian cuisine items at every meal... they were really kept on their toes!
It sounds as though the Head Server should have been able to pitch in when necessary. In addition, when it comes to ordering off menu, a Head Server is often able to assist. Usually, the Head Server meets with the guests AFTER dinner, to prepare a menu for the following day, based upon the availability of food for the following day. This is the current procedure for guests with food allergies, but is also followed for other circumstances, as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #642
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepin View Post
Thank you so much for finding out. Going to put in my request! I always bring little cellophane bags filled with assorted Lindor truffles and Ghirardelli squares. Any particular one he likes?
I do know Ivan-he was our server in Palo on the Fantasy last Thanksgiving.
Typically, I would suggest avoiding candy coated chocolate (such as M&M's) to most all cast members, as well as other candies in general. Most anything chocolate is coveted ... and I would think Ghirardelli and Lindor would be exquisite!

Steven
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #643
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
Were they servers? Looking for some good servers on the Magic. Loved our server on the Dream a few years ago, but in 4 cruises he was the only memorable one. We've had some adequate ones and some awful ones. A good server makes dinner something special.
My personal recommendations for servers on the Magic:
Palo: Laszlo Gion (Hungary)
Main Dining Room: Sompong "Sammy" Poonchuroensuk (Thailand)
Main Dining Room: I Made Swastika (Indonesia) ... first name is pronounced e-MOD-a. Some guests may not understand "Swastika" used as a name. In Asian culture, "swastika" means ... may you prosper and have good fortune.

I have taken the liberty of posting information found online, regarding the swastika ...
"The Swastika is a symbol that belongs to the entire human race. They appear in many different forms and in almost all our ancestral cultures, existing for more than 15,000 years with different names. The Swastika was and always will be a symbol of protection and good luck. Unfortunately during the World War II, the Nazi's were effective in there misuse of the Swastika symbol."

The Nazi's changed the design of the original Swastika. The Nazi Swastika is a black cross in 45 degrees pointing to the right (the original Swastika points to the LEFT). Please remember, the (original) swastika symbol is positive in many countries and cultures, and there is no reason to connect this to the genocide associated with World War II.

Steven

Last edited by sdlong329; 02-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #644
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

We had a great team on the Magic last year, Genesis & Wayan.... does anyone know them? Are they still onboard the Magic? We will be sailing on the Magic later this year (August) and I would like to request them if possible. They were SO good with my little one!!

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; November 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; January 2016 - Disney Magic
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #645
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Any possibility of getting Mihayl from Hungary (I always spell his name wrong), who served us immaculately on the Dream, on our next Magic? Or one as good? He was fastidious and impeccable, personable and made our trip very magical.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: