Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
SFRN97
Mouseketeer

MDR Early or Late?

This will be our second Disney Cruise. Last cruise we had early dining we always felt rushed and DD never got to watch any of the shows as she would sit in the theater and fall asleep before the show began. This cruise we were thinking of doing late seating so she could watch the shows especially since for dinner she always ordered a cheeseburger so she would not be missing out on the food. Thoughts from those who have done both?

April 1986 DH first trip offsite
June 1997 My first trip Dixie Landings
Sept 2008 DS first trip POP & our first MNSHP
Nov 2010 DD first trip CBR & Our first MVMCP
April 2013 first trip to Disneyland at the Paradise Pier
Feb 2014 first Disney Cruise on the Wonder with Grandma and Grandpa
April 2015 Disney Cruise on the Dream and WDW
SFRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRN97 View Post
This will be our second Disney Cruise. Last cruise we had early dining we always felt rushed and DD never got to watch any of the shows as she would sit in the theater and fall asleep before the show began. This cruise we were thinking of doing late seating so she could watch the shows especially since for dinner she always ordered a cheeseburger so she would not be missing out on the food. Thoughts from those who have done both?
For children up to teenagers I would always say early/main, you said she fell asleep in the shows so if you switch to late she may well fall asleep at dinner.

Dinner as you msy know has some extras like the Animators show, for kids it's best for food to go down before bed, late is do close to bedtime it can cause issues. I have seen mums and dads take children out of the MDRs on late as they are asleep or having a meltdown.

On the ship you will be up with the dun have breakfast say 8am > 9am and then the children go to the kids clubs at 9am or your off ship then, have an action packed day, and then have lunch local time say noon or 1pm so then 8.15 is a long long gap to wait go eat again up go dome seven hours.

Children will go for the snack places but the MDRs introduced new foods to my son who was a picked ester and now he eats almost everything with the MDRs inspiring him.

Shows IMHO are expendable, dinner as a family isn't, so stick with main.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3182194
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 07-20-2014 at 07:50 AM.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

We only had a four night but chose second seating. Our kids were 1, 3, 8, 9, 11, 13.
I felt the likelihood of them sleeping thru dinner was less than the likelihood of them sleeping thru a show.
It went really well. My 3 (almost 4) year old fell asleep at dessert time on pirate night and slept thru the fireworks. But we had no melt downs.
We normally eat dinner at home at 5-5:30. This was never an issue as we snacked on fruit & Pizza during the day.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Thnlk
Mouseketeer

We do different dining times depending on where we cruise. We come from the west coast so when we do an east coast cruise we do late dining. When we do an west coast cruise we do earlier dining.

Disneyland Tokyo 1990
Disneyland California 2009
Disney Wester Caribbean Cruise 2011/2013/2015
Disney World 2011 / 2012 / 2014
Disney Eastern Carribean Cruise 2012
Disney Alaskian Cruise 2012
Disney California Coast Cruise 2014
Disney Panama Canal repo 2014
Thnlk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've completed 13 Disney cruises (all 4 ships) & only on the first did we dine during the main seating. Our DDs at the time were 7&9 and it was the 2 of them that did not enjoy it. They thought it was to noisy, to hectic & to many "little kids" running around. 2nd cruise we tried late seating & they loved it. So every cruise since then we've dined late seating & never looked back.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
scrapshappen
Mouseketeer

We haven't done main dining, but on our first and only cruise, we found late dining worked just fine. Our boys were 8 & 10 at the time and we liked going to the shows early and then to dinner. A lot of times we did just go back to our rooms and go to bed after dinner, but that was OK too. Sometimes our younger son decided to go to the club when the staff came by to get the kids and that worked out just fine too.

We requested second seating on our next cruise based on our positive experience. Less rush after port days and we are coming from the west too so late dinner is closer to when we'd actually be eating at home anyway.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

depends on personal habits but we've always done late dining (took our first Disney cruise when my daughter was 4YO) and have never considered early dining in large part for the reasons you mention...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Happy100
Mouseketeer

All 5 cruises have been late with our son starting at age 4 to the most recent 9. We have enjoyed late because we never feel rushed before or during dinner.
Although there are times we have been tired and didn't want to stay up late so we have gone to Cabanas/BB or pool side food instead.

Having said this...we have booked an Alaskan for next year and chose early/main not sure if we will keep it but at least we are locked in have a choice.

Disney Wonder 8/24/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
depends on personal habits but we've always done late dining (took our first Disney cruise when my daughter was 4YO) and have never considered early dining in large part for the reasons you mention...
Always late here too, for the same reasons. You really have to look at what your normal routine is at home, and what your normal vacation routine is.

My hat is off to the folks that manage to get home from work, get their kids home from school and after school activites, dinner fixed by 5:45 pm. My kids were in school until 3:30 pm every day, with Little League and soccer starting at 4 pm. There was the scramble to get their clothes change in the car, and some sort of snack in the car in between. Soccer usually was over by 6:30, but Little League could go until sunset, which might be as late at 8:30 pm.....only THEN can we head home to fix dinner, eat, do homework, and get cleanedup.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #10
ludari
DIS Veteran

In all my cruises I have never done early dinning for a couple of reasons. First I always thought the time was too early for me to actually have dinner and two sometimes I just like to take my time and enjoy a long meal.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

Just a suggestion, if you're unsure of the dining time you want when you book, choose early because it's the hardest to get into. You can change your mind as the cruise gets closer.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #12
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRN97 View Post
This will be our second Disney Cruise. Last cruise we had early dining we always felt rushed Thoughts from those who have done both?
We did the early seating on our first cruise and we always felt rushed to get ready for dinner when we jsut wanted to relax more and extend the afternoon, we ewally felt rushed after the sail away party.

One other thing we missed with an early seating was the sunsets, we sailed in May and by the time we were done with dinner the sun had set.

So we will always do late seating now, especially with all the food available with the pool side cafes to snack on.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: