Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
micknme
Mouseketeer

Flight home has been cancelled until the next day

Well, yesterday I was notified that my 2:00 pm flight home has been cancelled and since I am unable to change airlines, we will now be leaving Sunday on their 7:00 am flight. The airlines is paying for our night's stay but now we need to plan something to do for the Saturday.

We are taking Disney transportation to MCO, will check into the hotel but then what? Is there a shuttle from the airport to Disney that we can take there and back? We have a couple of 1 day base tickets for Disney that we could use but are not thrilled with the thought of high priced transportation to get there.

Another thought is if there is an outlet mall near by?

Thanks for any ideas.
micknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

If you want to go to the park, I'd rent a car. I see that most places in the terminal have an intermediate for less than $30/day. Too bad it's not warmer. I'd go back to Port Canaveral and hit the beach.
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Sur
Love the Dis

Don't use 1 day base tickets for anything but an upgrade to longer stay- they're worth ~$100 and adding on gets less and less with more days. See If DME can be adjusted or try renting a car.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Bree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Don't use 1 day base tickets for anything but an upgrade to longer stay- they're worth ~$100 and adding on gets less and less with more days. See If DME can be adjusted or try renting a car.
DME is transportation for people that are staying at a Disney resort. She can't use it and DCL transfers only bring you to the airport or to a WDW hotel.
OP, a taxi is going to run you over $100 for round trip service to WDW. Here is a link with costs.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando

Your best option is to rent a car for the day. Even with paying for parking it will cost you less. You can rent a car near the port then drive straight to WDW.

Bree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Outlet mall ou would still need to rent car. It's been years since I lived in Orlando but outlet mall was closer to disney side than airport side.

Rent car and go to Disney, universal is my vote
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
Well, yesterday I was notified that my 2:00 pm flight home has been cancelled and since I am unable to change airlines, we will now be leaving Sunday on their 7:00 am flight. The airlines is paying for our night's stay but now we need to plan something to do for the Saturday.

We are taking Disney transportation to MCO, will check into the hotel but then what? Is there a shuttle from the airport to Disney that we can take there and back? We have a couple of 1 day base tickets for Disney that we could use but are not thrilled with the thought of high priced transportation to get there.

Another thought is if there is an outlet mall near by?

Thanks for any ideas.
What airline? They have no other options on departure day?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
What airline? They have no other options on departure day?
This. And why can't the op change airlines? If they cancelled the flight and if there are no other options (or no options that work) the airline should cancel the reservation and refund the op so the op can book with another airline. (Of course a more last minute airfare might not be pretty so research that before making decisions)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
This. And why can't the op change airlines? If they cancelled the flight and if there are no other options (or no options that work) the airline should cancel the reservation and refund the op so the op can book with another airline. (Of course a more last minute airfare might not be pretty so research that before making decisions)
Well seeing as the original flight is in the afternoon this may be the last flight of the day for manual carriers not knowing the specifics, and many newer airlines like JetBlue or low cost like spirit and the like don't have agreements with other airlines, considering flights are flying full kinda lucky to get a flight the next day, last winter with all of the weather had a Sunday flight cancelled and the next available flight was Tuesday.... As pp mentioned they were able to cancel the ticket but you only get back the remaining airfare, and the cost to rebook a family on a last minute one way ticket is significantly more than what your original ticket was.... Being a Sunday enjoy the day in Orlando.... The outlets are close to wdw, but still technically closer than the parks, a taxi may be the best option, or uber... Otherwise check out the rental fear places, they usually have last minute weekend specials....
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Bree
DIS Veteran

OP, you have me a little confused as your profile lists Ocala as where you live. That's what? 90 minutes from Orlando? Why don't you rent a car and drive home?

Unless it's an Ocala in another state or country?

Bree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
Well seeing as the original flight is in the afternoon this may be the last flight of the day for manual carriers not knowing the specifics, and many newer airlines like JetBlue or low cost like spirit and the like don't have agreements with other airlines, considering flights are flying full kinda lucky to get a flight the next day, last winter with all of the weather had a Sunday flight cancelled and the next available flight was Tuesday.... As pp mentioned they were able to cancel the ticket but you only get back the remaining airfare, and the cost to rebook a family on a last minute one way ticket is significantly more than what your original ticket was.... Being a Sunday enjoy the day in Orlando.... The outlets are close to wdw, but still technically closer than the parks, a taxi may be the best option, or uber... Otherwise check out the rental fear places, they usually have last minute weekend specials....

She hasn't specified if there are other flights; that's why I'm asking. She might not know that airlines will refund you if there's nothing that works (or nothing), she might not know that she could even change flights. That's why I'm mentioning it.

I've found from my time on the Transportation forum that it does people NO good to assume knowledge of those things; so many people don't know, and airline employees don't always give that info freely. We don't know what she knows. Starting from the basics like dug did and I continued to do might give info that the OP doesn't know.

She didn't say they were able to cancel the ticket.

"my 2:00 pm flight home has been cancelled and since I am unable to change airlines, we will now be leaving Sunday on their 7:00 am flight. The airlines is paying for our night's stay"

And it's not ALWAYS significantly more to rebook; knowledge is good, that's why I mentioned to find out before making a decision.

AND we don't have any idea when the OP's flight is. It could be tomorrow and it could be 6 months from now. We don't know.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
micknme
Mouseketeer

The airline is West Jet and the only other flight that day leaves late into the evening arriving around midnight, then a 2.5 hour drive to my family home in western Ontario. No way do I want to do that and since the airline offered to pay for our hotel, we are fine with staying the extra night.(Ocala location is a condo we share with relatives) It's extra annoying because the 2:00 pm flight has only been cancelled on our flight day, every other day, weeks before and after has it offered. Makes me wonder if some large group booked the plane making those of us already booked, cast aside to some other flight. Since we booked the flight using reward miles, we are stuck with West Jet.

Thank you for your suggestions. The car rental is looking like the cheapest way to get around though we've never driven in Orlando before, hence my wish for a shuttle service. Car rental it is!

Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

You can always keep calling the airline to see if anything opens up. This happened to us in Vegas due to weather. Our flight was cancelled and they rebooked us to one three days later. I was told everything was booked but I wanted one particular flight and sure enough it "opened up" when I called several times and showed it was available online.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
micknme
Mouseketeer

Thanks Melissa. I will keep my eyes peeled on their website but for now, our actual afternoon flight has completely disappeared from their list of flights offered. Since this flight is for late April, the whole thing is just very odd...why that day and no other day...
Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

The same thing happened to us this trip too. Our 2pm return flight was canceled (different airline). They just sent us an email saying they had changed our flight to 9am. I called and said that wouldn't work and it was turning into a mess to find 10 seats on a flight back, we have 6 kids, my dad and my sons girlfriend all flying with us. We were leaving out of Miami, and I asked if FLL had a flight that night, bingo- plenty of room. Any other circumstance I would have loved another night of vacation, but my kids had to be back for school. Since it sounds like you are fine with the stay, and all other transport ideas have been addressed, my only other thought would be staying in the parks at a value resort and using DME back to the airport, then even if you don't go to the parks, you can still do DTD.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

So about 21 years
ago I had flight cancel coming home from Florida
and my ******* boss used that as one of the excuses to fire me.
He was going to fire me anyhow.
But just threw that in.
I had a 4 year old and my wife with me.
He said everyone made back from vacation on time.
Said I should have left my wife and son there if I couldn't get 3 seats that day cause he was sure I got one.

Needless to say one of happiest days in my life was years later when he got fired.
Unlike me he never got another job.
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: