Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Traveling dish soap?

I swear I heard someone state there are dish soap packets you can buy. I've looked in the local grocery store but don't see them. I know it seems like a dumb thing to ask about, but do these exist?

I need something both for the cups we bring and to clean the medicine my son has to drink.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

I have gotten free samples before. Try emailing a few different companies and ask if they have any available to you can keep your travel dishes clean while on vacation.
Never have seen them in the store, though you could just put some in a travel size container and bring some from home.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
I have gotten free samples before. Try emailing a few different companies and ask if they have any available to you can keep your travel dishes clean while on vacation.
Never have seen them in the store, though you could just put some in a travel size container and bring some from home.
Can you bring stuff in open containers like that? I didn't realise that, lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Yep. They sell the empty bottles in the travel size sections at the stores.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I swear I heard someone state there are dish soap packets you can buy. I've looked in the local grocery store but don't see them. I know it seems like a dumb thing to ask about, but do these exist?

I need something both for the cups we bring and to clean the medicine my son has to drink.
Here's what I read someone did (and I intend to steal this idea), take a sponge (like one of the kitchen type ones). Place it in a shallow bowl/plate, pour liquid dish soap on and soak well. Let dry. Cut sponge into small squares, place in ziploc baggie. That way you don't have liquids that can spill and all you need to do is add water when you want to wash.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Here's what I read someone did (and I intend to steal this idea), take a sponge (like one of the kitchen type ones). Place it in a shallow bowl/plate, pour liquid dish soap on and soak well. Let dry. Cut sponge into small squares, place in ziploc baggie. That way you don't have liquids that can spill and all you need to do is add water when you want to wash.

Fabulous!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
CSwan1
DIS Veteran

I've taken paper towels, folded them, poured dish soap on them and let them dry- just like the sponge idea. Pack them in a baggie and use them as needed. Also try minimus.biz- they sell all kinds of travel size things!
Past Disney Vacations:May 2006 WDW POR & Disney Wonder 3 Day with My Disney Fairytale Wedding May 2008 WDW AKL & Disney Wonder 4 DayJuly 2010 WDW SSR June 2011 Disney World June 26th, 2011 Disney DREAMAugust 2012 Disney World at the Art of Animation Resort October 2012 Disney World Swan and Dolphin Our First MNSSHP
My First Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1831750[/COLOR]
CSwan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwan1 View Post
I've taken paper towels, folded them, poured dish soap on them and let them dry- just like the sponge idea. Pack them in a baggie and use them as needed. Also try minimus.biz- they sell all kinds of travel size things!
I was going to post the same thing. I make my own for our trips. Quick, easy and inexpensive.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
I was going to post the same thing. I make my own for our trips. Quick, easy and inexpensive.
Me, too. Worked well cleaning our Alaska coffee mug last year.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Target also sells empty travel bottles which you can fill with dish soap...I've never seen any single use samples for sale, but I have a 2 ounce bottle that I keep re-filling!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
kathi
DIS Veteran

I always take the leftover dish soap from our DVC stay and save it for the next cruise! It's a very small bottle of Dawn and perfect for travel.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Sebby
Earning My Ears

Try a camping store. You can find dish washing sheets for camping.
But I like the idea of the paper towel plus dish soap. Though I still worry about bacteria growing in it while it dries. For most people that's not an issue.

I carried on a small bottle of Joy dish liquid in a zip lock bag. (We drove so we didn't worry about moving from checked bags to carry-on) I found it in the travel/trial size section at Target, I think.

No limit on liquid in carry on in the ship - I carried on a lot - including rubbing alcohol and sterile water for cleaning medical equipment.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

This is exactly what we do. It works great. But I put them in the sun and they dry pretty quickly. It also helps reduce the amount of fluids you bring on board if you don't check your luggage.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

I used to use the Palmolive disposable dish wipes that were scrubby and impregnated with dishwashing liquid. In fact I still have some under my sink b/c I only really use them for trips. But I guess they don't sell them any more b/c when I just looked them up, they are going for like $30 a container on ebay!

I guess I will be using the previously stated methods of soaking a sponge in soap for future trips. Maybe I should try and sell the rest of my container on ebay!
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Check out this website for small sizes of just about anything!!!

http://www.minimus.biz/DomesticsMain.aspx

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 10-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: