Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Good products for eczema?

My little girl (almost 3 years old) has an itchy red skin rash inside her elbow. It has come and gone for the last year or so. Lately it seems worse. We've usually been able to calm it down with hydracortizone cream, but it's been more stubborn lately.

Does anyone have any products to recommend? I will talk to her pediatrician at the next appointment, just wanted to see if there's a miracle solution that anyone knows about!

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I read something awhile back. I went to find it for you, but came across this and not what I originally read. It's interesting. Maybe something worth looking into.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-business.html

I'll keep looking. If I find the article, I'll post it for you.

HTH!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

I am not home right now but when I get home I will find the name of my son's cream. It is prescription. He had awful eczema for over a year exactly where you are describing. We tried everything. Finally a new dr gave us this new cream and it went away and stayed away! Whenever I find a patch on him, I use the cream. But inside his elbows has been clear for a long time. He just turned 5.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

My DS12 has eczema- last year he had it so bad- it was on every square inch of his body. It was AWFUL. The derm prescribed Hylatopic Foam, which is a script- but our insurance stopped covering it and it was over $200 out of pocket. Asked the derm for something else, and he said to get CeraVe- over the counter. You can find it at CVS, Walmart, and most other larger retailers. It's pricey, but it works really well!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

My daughter uses CeraVe. For really bad breakouts she uses triamcinolone acetonide ointment, which is a prescription. She had a bad breakout last week and it was completely gone in less than 48 hours using the prescription.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
MzDiz
Insert Custom Tag Here
The Tag Fairy is scared of my "collections"

I have flare ups of eczema and my son had a nightmare case of it when he was young. He still has it as an adult, but when he was a toddler I would have to bandage his legs and soak the bandages off in the morning, it was awful. I've had good results with emu oil. You can buy it from any health food store that has beauty products. For some people it's a real miracle.
MzDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
mummygina
Mouseketeer

Not sure if you can get Oilatum in the US (bath oil, cream and shower gel etc). Aveeno also make good products (can buy in the uk and USA). They are based on oats. Tying some muslin with oats inside and handing over the bath tap is a good natural alternative (just make sure you tie the bundle tightly or you have a bath of porridge/oatmeal!). I add a drop of lavender, tea tree and camomile to my son's bath. Carrot oil is Also very good for eczema as well as jojoba. (lavender tea tree and camomile can also be added to a carrier oil or base cream to make your own ointment)

Have you ruled out all allergies? (milk, wheat, animal fur, wool/lanolin, washing power etc are all common allergies that can cause eczema). I use ecoballs to wash our clothes rather than detergent as it irritates my sons skin (not sure if they are available in the US)

Unfortunately i don't think there is any magic answer, but you learn by trial and error as to what works best of each skin type etc. good luck!

1991 - age 11 with my parents
2010 - with my kids, partner, parents, bro & SiL
2012 - with my kids, partner and parents
All off-site. One day I will stay on-site!
mummygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl View Post
My little girl (almost 3 years old) has an itchy red skin rash inside her elbow. It has come and gone for the last year or so. Lately it seems worse. We've usually been able to calm it down with hydracortizone cream, but it's been more stubborn lately.

Does anyone have any products to recommend? I will talk to her pediatrician at the next appointment, just wanted to see if there's a miracle solution that anyone knows about!
I'm not a fan of cortisone creams or ointments. DH died of a rare cancer which may have been due in part to his use of cortisone for his eczema.

DD uses Aveeno cream which works very well. She uses the skin relief cream, but they also have an eczema cream.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Cerave. I bought every OTC cream out there and Cerave is the one that finally cleared up his severe eczema in 3 days. Because his eczema started so young the dr. said no Cortaid. I was offered elidel at one point but didn't want to use due to cancer implications.

Common triggers for eczema can include oranges and strawberries, maybe your dd can keep a food diary.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
My daughter uses CeraVe. For really bad breakouts she uses triamcinolone acetonide ointment, which is a prescription. She had a bad breakout last week and it was completely gone in less than 48 hours using the prescription.
We use the same Rx it works great.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

PS. Get the Cerave cream in a pot, not the lotion in a tube.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
I'm not a fan of cortisone creams or ointments. DH died of a rare cancer which may have been due in part to his use of cortisone for his eczema.

DD uses Aveeno cream which works very well. She uses the skin relief cream, but they also have an eczema cream.
Oh no! I'm so, so sorry to hear about your DH. Thank you for sharing this with me. I will do some research on this before I put any more on her.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
Another vote for Cerave. I bought every OTC cream out there and Cerave is the one that finally cleared up his severe eczema in 3 days. Because his eczema started so young the dr. said no Cortaid. I was offered elidel at one point but didn't want to use due to cancer implications.

Common triggers for eczema can include oranges and strawberries, maybe your dd can keep a food diary.
We do eat a lot of fruit, but her faves are bananas and grapes.

Her keeping a food "diary" would be funny, she's not even 3.

I'm glad to hear that your son's eczema got cleared up so quickly!! Thanks so much for the CeraVe recommendation. I will have to check it out. Is it this product?

http://cerave.com/our-products/moisturizing-cream/

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post

People, please do not freak out over this post! A rare cancer is just that - RARE! Also, the poster said "may have", as in, no proof, and 'due in part', as in, other underlying conditions.

I use hydrocorticone+, the equate brand from Walmart. It has a ton of moisturizers on top of the steroid cream, and it clears up the red patches in 2-3 days. Then, once that is cleared up, I use either a hemp oil cream or an unscented shea nut butter.

A little sun exposure can go a long way, as well. For me, that is tricky, since I've had melanoma and need to stay out of the sun!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

Have you tried to see what triggers her breakouts? Foods, soaps, lotions and detergents can all trigger breakouts.

My youngest is prone to eczema. Dairy is her trigger. She also is very sensitive to detergents and scented lotions. I use unscented detergent and dryer sheets, no fabric softeners, aveeno bath products, and moisturize her with Aquaphor after baths. We have not had trouble with flareups since we found the triggers.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: