Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
There is legality and then there is living together and cooperating together as neighbors.

It is common courtesy that if there is limited street parking and you have a driveway that you use your driveway instead of taking up the only parking that others have to use. They should park a block away from their house so you can be on a power trip and park on the street instead of your driveway?

There is something called treating others as you would like to be treated.
Be that as it may, there is no excuse to park in such a way as to block someone's driveway - whether they use it or not.
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I'm not sure why you can't go over and nicely say "I love having you next door but I have 2 problems. One,when you park you block my driveway and two, your car alarm goes off in th emiddle of the night and wakes my whole house. So can you do me a favor and give me your phone number so I can call you if either of those things happens?"

I guarantee you that one or two times of having to move the car or one or two times of being called at 3am to shut off the car alarm will solve the problem.

Then, if she stops answering your calls, you call the police, because she has been duly warned.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Have you ever lived for years in a city with street parking? Yes neighbors cooperate with each other so all can park.

And yes it is a power trip to take someone else's parking spot when you have 1 they can't use.
I have lived in the city for my entire life and never heard of the nonsesne you are spouting, so get a grip. Secondly I don't know where you live but I pay extra in the form of property taxes to have a driveway, if I choose to use it fine if I don't that is my choice to and has nothing to do with a power trip and if I choose to park on the street for various reasons, that doens't give someone the right to block my driveway.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
I am not into passive-aggressive.
But, I am def. not into passive either...

1. Speak to her... Let her know that you can not have her block your driveway. That simple... No vague questions... No excuses... "I am sorry, but I can not have my driveway blocked."

2. I wouldn't be passive about the car alarm in the middle of the night, while her car is parked at your driveway. First, I would get with my husband, immediately, and go bang on every door and window to see if she is there. Take care of it, right then....

After you have done those things, ONCE, I would be calling the cops....
Hopefully you live in a jurisdiction where the cops will actually come to a call. Again, when you call, no hemming and hawing and discussions, etc.... I would assume that in both cases, laws are being broken... If the car alarm is going off, dial 911, "somebody might be out there trying to steal a car!!!!" If your drive is blocked... again, make a serious deal out of it.

If you speak to her... no response...
If the cops offer no response...
Find a tow truck company who could use the business.
Please don't call 911 with nonemergencies or fake emergencies. They know the stupid alarm is just random. Just call the cops regular and tell them the alarm has been going off for 20 minutes or whatever, they'll come out and shut it off if they can't find her. Like I said, at least that's what they do here and goodness knows they have other stuff to do, it's not like I live in Mayberry.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

I don't understand why you wouldn't park in your driveway. That is what driveways are for.

As for blocking your driveway and the car alarm, just talked to her about it.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't park in your driveway. That is what driveways are for.
Some of the driveways in the town I live in are very hard to pull out of at certain times of the day. When I go to my friend's house (who has one of those tricky driveways) we all park out on the street during the day, even the home owner! Backing in or backing out of the driveway during the day is just too crazy. Same at my inlaws' house. We all park out on the street, because the driveway is on a blind curve and it gets busy during commuter hours.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Have you looked around to see if there is a reason why she is blocking your driveway? Like, maybe you are parking in the street and not leaving her anywhere else to park? Or maybe if you aren't parking in your driveway, she doesn't see the issue?

Seems to me that you parking in your driveway would solve the problem. And if you just are NOT going to use it, why stress over it?

As for the car alarm, I think I would simply walk over and knock on her door when it goes off. Maybe she doesn't know what to do about it? Maybe she really isn't hearing it? You are up anyway, go over and tell her so that you know its a problem. You don't have to go over and start accusing. Just knock on the door, and say "your car alarm is going off, we came to make sure everything is ok". And be sure to mention its being doing that a lot.

Most people are not just trying to make problems, they just don't seem to realize how what they are doing is effecting someone else.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

OP here. I park in the street because I don't want to have to back in and out all day. My kids have activities and during the day my street is busy. There is parking on the street.Many times she will be blocking our driveway when there is an open spot in front of our 2 cars. There are usually spots across the street too. I should also say her landlord's family likes to block our driveway when they visit him too. One day our block was full and his DS's GF was blocking my driveway. I had DD ring their bell and she moved the car. This was a couple of months ago and they haven't done it again. So basically I should charge for using my driveway. Seriously, we will be speaking to the neighbor.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
ajk912
Dum..dum...dum...we are in the Twilight Zone
Yup, I generally don't sweat the gas
Frenzied free for all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Have you looked around to see if there is a reason why she is blocking your driveway? Like, maybe you are parking in the street and not leaving her anywhere else to park? Or maybe if you aren't parking in your driveway, she doesn't see the issue?

Seems to me that you parking in your driveway would solve the problem. And if you just are NOT going to use it, why stress over it?

As for the car alarm, I think I would simply walk over and knock on her door when it goes off. Maybe she doesn't know what to do about it? Maybe she really isn't hearing it? You are up anyway, go over and tell her so that you know its a problem. You don't have to go over and start accusing. Just knock on the door, and say "your car alarm is going off, we came to make sure everything is ok". And be sure to mention its being doing that a lot.

Most people are not just trying to make problems, they just don't seem to realize how what they are doing is effecting someone else.
I agree! I don't know what "blocking a driveway" means anyway. Are you talking about parking at the end of the driveway so there is no way to get in the driveway? Or parking on the opposite side of the street that the driveway empties out of, so when you are backing out or pulling out you have to be careful because that car is there?

I agree it's nice neighbor politics that if you are going to park on the street anyway, it's fine if she parks there. If you have something going on where you will need your driveway, just let her know. I agree the alarm is annoying but the parking arrangements aren't anything I'd get upset over. You are being creative with parking (not using your driveway) so she is too. Is there limited parking maybe?
ajk912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyBuggs View Post
OP here. I park in the street because I don't want to have to back in and out all day. My kids have activities and during the day my street is busy. There is parking on the street.Many times she will be blocking our driveway when there is an open spot in front of our 2 cars. There are usually spots across the street too. I should also say her landlord's family likes to block our driveway when they visit him too. One day our block was full and his DS's GF was blocking my driveway. I had DD ring their bell and she moved the car. This was a couple of months ago and they haven't done it again. So basically I should charge for using my driveway. Seriously, we will be speaking to the neighbor.

Maybe they block your driveway because you never use it.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

If you are parking in the street and taking up spots for her to park, aren't YOU kind of the un-neighborly neighbor? Is is cramped? If she doesn't park in front of your driveway, will she have to park far away? Because your 2-3 cars are in the street instead of in your driveway?

Yes, it's rude to park in front of someone's driveway, but it's kinda rude to take up the street parking (if it's a crowded street) when you have a driveway you could be parking in too.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
DawnM
Dawn

Have you spoken to any other neighbors? I can't imagine you are the only one affected by this (parking or the alarm going off at 3am.)

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Speak to the neighbor. I have seen so many threads here where people are asking how to deal with someone and the answer is really basic-talk to the person. I certainly would not be calling the police before trying to speak directly to someone.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #29
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
MTE. New neighbor sees you have a driveway, but also sees it is never used, so she presumes you don't use it, ergo the rules about allowing cars in and out of a driveway by not parking in front of them do not apply.

If you're being blocked in or out by the neighbor, that's one thing. If you want it free merely because it's a driveway, not because you're using it, that's another thing.

Also, OP you said there's parking across the street and then say YOU won't park in your driveway because the street is too busy, which indicates to me that it isn't a quiet neighborhood street that's easy to cross on foot for parking or easy to cross in a car for parking. Also, OP notes there are spaces in front of her spaces. . .why not park in those, OP, and leave the spaces closer to the new neighbor open?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
SO that does not gie someone the right to block it. I have a driveway and most of the time I park in it there are sometimes I don't for various reasons, weather I choose to use my driveway or not does not mean someone can block it and if they have to walk a block so be it. Sorry it isn't rude nor un neighborly it is life. Growing up I was always taught by my parents to park leagally and walk if I have to, my parents always did I never thought about weather or not someone was using their driveway or not, never blocked someones driveway either.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: