Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

If you had to spend $100 on yourself

My ILs give me $100 for my birthday every year and usually I'm the practical one and will dump it into our checking account and not think about it and it goes towards bills or groceries or something.

This year MIL is insisting I spend it only on myself and she wants the receipt So I'm shamelessly trolling for ideas. What would you spend it on
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Probably shoes or a purse. Possibly something for the kitchen...I love to cook. But other people think kitchen gifts are bad gifts!
Enjoy!
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
My ILs give me $100 for my birthday every year and usually I'm the practical one and will dump it into our checking account and not think about it and it goes towards bills or groceries or something.

This year MIL is insisting I spend it only on myself and she wants the receipt So I'm shamelessly trolling for ideas. What would you spend it on
Nice dinner out? I'm a gift card gal, so if I didn't go out for dinner with it, I'd probably choose to get an Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift card.

(and then likely use it for someone else -- I totally understand your point of view!)

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

a few ideas come to mind.

a gift card to my favorite day spa. I would get the gift card because I would then be forced to use it for that, instead of on something else like groceries or something for the kids. lol. a summers worth of pedicures would be lovely!

a car seat cover. I say this because my dh bought a car a few years ago and bought it black with black leather interior. I have since inherited this car, and the summers are BRUTAL, the backs of my legs always get burned.

a new outfit

a couple of personal training sessions at the gym
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Massage, manicure/pedicure, clothes, shoes, credit on my nook for books, concert/theater tickets.. So many things. It sounds like she wants you to enjoy yourself, so I would stay away from the practical and treat yourself to some pampering or something fun.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:

I love her for wanting the receipt! Awesome!

How about something you don't keep? A massage or an intense mani-pedi with hand and foot massage? Expensive steaks for the family? Chocolate dipped strawberries or just some really expensive chocolate...

Or, shoes you never would buy for yourself, handbags, a small piece of jewelry in silver?

This will sound odd, but a restaurant gift card for yourself. I was on The Price is Right's Mother's day show (airs this Friday!) and they gave everyone there a $100 gift card to Corner Bakery. Let me tell you, I LOVE that thing. When we were too tired to cook, we'd just hit the Corner Bakery and get dinner and a sweet! We've gone four times now, I love it!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
lorimay
DIS Veteran

SHOES, definitely shoes.
But I have a shoe problem
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

I'd get a massage.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

That's what I would typically do with a $$ gift, too. I know where you're coming from.

I'd still probably pay for something "practical" like a gym membership, or something for the kitchen.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

Quote:

I would use if for my next trip, for some type of experience, maybe something like this http://www.captmarksdolphincruises.c...ises-schedules for your Hilton Head trip.
Donna
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
superme80
DIS Veteran

Something similar. I am buying much needed maternity clothes and probably a nice pair of slip on shoes that will last awhile.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

humm.. I get your delimina... BTDT! Its funny, I always feel guilty splurging on myself, but thankfully, my DH loves to splure on me so he always has some sort of treat up his sleeve... some of my favorites:

pedicure.. I was 35 years old before I had my first one... Now I have one every 6 weeks mininum. period. it's part of our budget, lol.

a show. Not a movie, but a live performance of some sort.

a class for a hobby (like photography, cermics, gardening)

a really cool plant for my garden

itunes or kindle credits (for books, music, etc)

A family night (like skating, bowling, movies, etc) I know this is not technically just for you, but if your like me, a evening doing something fun with your family IS a treat.

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Personal training session & shellac pedicure.

Awesome bathing suit.

Several bottles of Prosecco to get me through the summer.

Some cool kitchen thing from Williams-Sonoma.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Mil does the same thing for us. She says you can't spend it on milk or bread lol.

I buy clothes or shoes for myself or a purse or necklace. I actually look forward to it and see how far I can stretch that $
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
htmom
I am also afraid of those stupid biscuit cans

Stuff for postpartum. LOL. Lanolin, and all that girly stuff. One and a half months to go!
DS 12
DD 9
ds born June 2013
htmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: