Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Mississippianna
Still loving Disney World like a 6-year-old

If you bring a Keurig MINI to the Disney Resorts ...

Do you fly? Any tips for packing it in my checked suitcase?

Do you bring disposable cups and lids? What size will fit under it?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

We've only brought it when driving. I'm 95% sure I used one of our disposable cups under it last week. It definitely will not fit a taller travel mug type thing. Worst case, you can just brew into a coffee mug and pour it in the travel mug. It makes a 10 oz cup max size from the water measurement area.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
jlevis
Mouseketeer

We always take ours when we travel but we drive. Our timeshare villa has cups and we just pour over into our travel mugs.
jlevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Do you still have the original box it came in?

If not and I assume you tossed it. Get your model number off it and head to the store with a pencil, tape measure and a piece of paper. Find the unit in its original box and measure it.

Then head over to the box store like Lowes, Home Depot, U Haul, UPS Store and find a box about that size.

Wrap the coffee maker in bubble wrap and place in box and tape. Put box in checked bag surounded by clothes.

Enjoy coffee at resort.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Charleneluvsdisney
Always Disney Dreaming!

I wrapped my keurig mini in bubble wrap and then put it in the bottom of a shoe box. It was actually from a pair of boots. I was able to put my kcups in there also. I then packed clothes on top. It made it there and back in my luggage with no problems!
Charleneluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Checked luggage always has some risk to it, no matter how well you pack. Last year my bag was banged so hard that the metal retractable handle was bent into the back if luggage puncturing things inside. Sure it's rare but it can happen, just be aware, and luggage handlers don't treat things gently.

The resorts have recently been changing over to Cuisinart pod machines. They use Senseo type pods (single cup) which can be ordered off Amazon and Starbucks makes some as well. This might be another option to consider for good coffee rather than taking the Keurig.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Mississippianna

Thanks for the tips!

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering the Mini for my desk at work and for travel. I'll keep the box for sure. Good call. (I already have a full-size Keurig, and buy k-cups, which is why I want the Mini.)

We're staying value for our next trip, so there's no coffee maker. At any rate, I tried the pod coffee maker in our room at BC on our last trip. That coffee was awful no matter what I tried, and not nearly hot enough.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippianna View Post
Thanks for the tips!

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering the Mini for my desk at work and for travel. I'll keep the box for sure. Good call. (I already have a full-size Keurig, and buy k-cups, which is why I want the Mini.)

We're staying value for our next trip, so there's no coffee maker. At any rate, I tried the pod coffee maker in our room at BC on our last trip. That coffee was awful no matter what I tried, and not nearly hot enough.
That's good to know. Wouldn't have thought the coffee wouldn't be hot enough.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips!

We have a Mini and it's really heavy. much heavier than I expected it to be. My suggestion is to pack it as your carry-on with bubble wrap in a small duffle. It will most likely put you over the weight limit in your checked luggage and as a PP said, could be damaged no matter how well you wrap it.

It is great, and we may bring ours on our next trip since we drive.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
lovetogowdw
Mouseketeer

I used to try to wag along a coffee maker. Once Starbucks came out with the individual serving coffee packets (and Trader Joe's has one with cream/sugar added, too), I found it simpler to use the free hot water dispenser up at the food court and my own mug or the refillable mug. I agree that the WDW food court coffee is . . . not the best. A few places in the parks do have great "real" coffee, espresso, etc., but that's another thread.
lovetogowdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
madolyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
At any rate, I tried the pod coffee maker in our room at BC on our last trip. That coffee was awful no matter what I tried, and not nearly hot enough.
I have a full-sized Keurig and love it, but my sister-in-law has the Mini, and she said it doesn't make good coffee compared to my machine. My understanding is the Mini doesn't get as hot as the bigger one ... that would be a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps Keurig has improved the Minis ... something to consider. (It's always something, isn't it? )
madolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

I bring my mini keurig in a small carry on. I dont use bubble wrap and it is small enough to fit under the seat in front of me.

My mini produces coffee that tastes exactly like my regular keurig.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Mississippianna

Update! I finally got around to trying the Starbucks Via packets. This was my second try, because my only other experience was with a cinnamon flavored variety and I did not like it. I decided to give it another shot with a regular coffee before I ordered a Mini. I was way skeptical, but I am sold! I like having a cup of coffee on the bus so I hit the park ready to go, and this is going to do just fine. I got the Veranda blonde roast and it's SO surprisingly good. (My favorite K-cup is Coffee People Donut Shop, for those who want a comparison to know what my taste in coffee is like.)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
jimjenkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetogowdw View Post
I used to try to wag along a coffee maker. Once Starbucks came out with the individual serving coffee packets (and Trader Joe's has one with cream/sugar added, too), I found it simpler to use the free hot water dispenser up at the food court and my own mug or the refillable mug. I agree that the WDW food court coffee is . . . not the best. A few places in the parks do have great "real" coffee, espresso, etc., but that's another thread.
good thought...I too was just saying to my ds, we might need to bring the kcups so we can make coffee or we will be spending a ton just on coffee! we are staying value this time(due to the kids wanting it?!)

2012:xmas-Pop century, 2010:CBC, 2008:ASMovie, 2000:Movies, 1999: sports, 1995:POF, 1984:Polly

jimjenkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
MagicallyDelicious
Mouseketeer

Is the Starbucks instant coffee?
MagicallyDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: