Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #766
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy

Well the truth is that not only do they book earlier, they pretty much have to ..

Few reasons why :

1. Euros get much more vacation than North Americans on average.. roughly double.. they tend to plan those way in advance

2. And they would need to given the cost of Trans Atlantic flights etc. Remember - the cost of getting a family of four from Europe to Orlando can exceed the cost of a 5 night/ 6day package.

3. All of the above is why most Euros who come tend to stay longer (10-20 nights) and spend more on average per day while they are they.

Nobody likes to hear it but the European guests are highly valued for all these reasons which can be summarized as this :

Disney makes more money from them on a per person/per day average basis than most others.

Once upon a time that was Pacific Rim countries that held that honor. Now it's mainly Europe.
I agree with the fact that they do have to plaited and get more vacation but....
Disney makes nothing off of there air fair and on a per day basis Disney does better on guests that stay a shorter amount of time....

1986,1991,1996, 2009, jan 2013
mom of lil princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #767
mom of lil princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of lil princess

I agree with the fact that they do have to plaited and get more vacation but....
Disney makes nothing off of there air fair and on a per day basis Disney does better on guests that stay a shorter amount of time....
Plan more, not plaited.... Auto correct on cell phone

1986,1991,1996, 2009, jan 2013
mom of lil princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #768
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
In an interview in June, Bob Iger stated, "We worked really hard to wean the consumer of the discount, and it worked in the second quarter, where we had slightly improved — if you factor out Easter — attendance and occupancy rates and better pricing, which was really important," Iger said. "The goal remains the same for the third quarter."
The fact of the matter is that FD discounts are worth, to Disney, about half of what they are to you. That's their gross margin on food after subtracting the cost of the food and the labor. Room discounts are the same value to both you and Disney. FD has been VERY popular because it has the potential to save a family of 4 over $200 a day (deluxe room, DDP), versus a discount of 30% on the same room, which is about half of that. But, really, it's the same cost to Disney.

I don't see Disney ever not offering some kind of incentive, whether it's FD or room discount or ticket discount, but the offers will be honed to make them more profitable for Disney. If you remember, FD once included the gratuities. The DDP once included appetizers at lunch. They've cut back on what was included, and, at the same time, raised the retail price of food and the cost of the dining plans.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #769
jmclester
Disney Deddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twinboys View Post
I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and book for Jan 2-6 or to wait for a discount to come out. If rooms are booked are they less likely to offer the discount or do most of you book the room and then wait for the discount? Not sure what's the best plan??
Not sure anyone can really answer this question. I would theorize that the more rooms that are NOT booked, the greater the chance that a discount will be offered. The amount of the discount may be dependent on this as well. With that being said, if you are needing a specific room (family suite or connecting rooms, etc) then you may want to go ahead and book. If you are flexible on the room then i would advise to wait until mid-Nov or until discounts are announced, whichever comes first.
1986, 1991, 1994-offsite, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011-AStSports, 2002, 2008 CBR, 2005-GF/CR, 2006-ASMo, 2006-ASMu, 2007-GF, 2008-CSR, 2010 DCL-Wonder/POP, 2011-POR, 2011-AStSports, 2012-POP, 2012 DCL-Dream, 2013-POR, 2014-CR, 2014-DCL-Dream/POR
jmclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #770
Jreinhold
Earning My Ears

More hope...

I called today and spoke to a CM who was really helpful. I told her my dates for January 2013 and asked her if she was aware of any potential upcoming discounts. She laughed really hard and paused for a long time and told me that yes in fact they would be appearing really soon. When I inquired about my specific dates (1/6 - 1/10) she said she thought I'd be happy. So....just passing it along.....
Jreinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #771
goofytwo
Mouseketeer

I just gave up on waiting and called to make my reservation. The agent I spoke with told me in the middle of the call to look in two weeks for discounts and prior to hanging up, he reminded me again where to look on the web site and to check early next week or early the following week. I think they know something :-)
goofytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #772
joell51868
Earning My Ears

We are booked for Jan 30th - Feb 8th @ POFQ. I'm holding my breath for a discount. I really thought Monday would be the day. My TA assures me one will come soon. I finally just booked flights bc I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I dont care which promo (if there is one) at this point I will take any!!! Of FD would be ideal ;-)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #773
Ckmommy72
Mouseketeer

Anyone else see this? I was on the site looking at prices at different resorts (might switch to a deluxe!!!), and this was at the top of the screen:

Customize Your Trip

Your Magic Your Way Package includes the selections listed below. You can change any selections and add flight and ground transportation. Or you can book this offer now.
Please be advised that we will be updating our systems to serve you better. During this enhancement, beginning on October 8 at 5 p.m. ET, online bookings and bookings through the Disney Reservation Center will be unavailable. We expect to return to full functionality by the afternoon of October 9. Please note that these dates and times are subject to change. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Seems to fit the timeframe people have had hinted to them by CMs!! I'm cautiously hopeful!!

DH Michael DS C (13) DD K (9)

March 2006 - Off Site
January 2012 - POR
January 2013 - ASMo
September 2013 - AKL (MNSSHP & F&W)
October 2014 - ASMu (14th anniversary trip)
Ckmommy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #774
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmommy72
Anyone else see this? I was on the site looking at prices at different resorts (might switch to a deluxe!!!), and this was at the top of the screen:

Customize Your Trip

Your Magic Your Way Package includes the selections listed below. You can change any selections and add flight and ground transportation. Or you can book this offer now.
Please be advised that we will be updating our systems to serve you better. During this enhancement, beginning on October 8 at 5 p.m. ET, online bookings and bookings through the Disney Reservation Center will be unavailable. We expect to return to full functionality by the afternoon of October 9. Please note that these dates and times are subject to change. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Seems to fit the timeframe people have had hinted to them by CMs!! I'm cautiously hopeful!!
Disney has informed Travel agents that the reservation system will be undergoing updates. They do this periodical and is independent of any pricing changes/ special offers (which is easily done overnight and does not need the entire system to be down).
Sorry to be a downer, but these are unrelated.

WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14**Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #775
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joell51868 View Post
We are booked for Jan 30th - Feb 8th @ POFQ. I'm holding my breath for a discount. I really thought Monday would be the day. My TA assures me one will come soon. I finally just booked flights bc I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I dont care which promo (if there is one) at this point I will take any!!! Of FD would be ideal ;-)
I just booked airfare as well! I feel like I could have waited for maybe better prices because I've heard if you are traveling during non-holiday season and off season that you should wait to book 6-8 weeks out. But I am too impatient appearantly! I felt like the price was pretty decent now and so I booked our flights. I wish I would have booked back in August when I first started thinking about the trip because tickets were less than $150! Oh well...
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #776
DisneyFEB2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs D View Post
Disney has informed Travel agents that the reservation system will be undergoing updates. They do this periodical and is independent of any pricing changes/ special offers (which is easily done overnight and does not need the entire system to be down).
Sorry to be a downer, but these are unrelated.
I was thinking tonight that everyone is so gungho on October 10th..watch, it will be tomorrow and catch everyone off guard!!
DisneyFEB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #777
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFEB2013

I was thinking tonight that everyone is so gungho on October 10th..watch, it will be tomorrow and catch everyone off guard!!
But at least we'd all be the first to know!

WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14**Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #778
peaceluv&mickeymouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFEB2013 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. I bet they sit back and read these boards watching all of us go crazy!!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #779
kiddywhompus
Earning My Ears

I just got off the phone with a CM, and he said the disney visa discount starts today, and that the public discount starts the 10th. RO discount. There was no hinting or dragging it our of him, he offered it up like a hot cup of coffee in the morning. I am thankful for any discount, but was really hoping for FD.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #780
skelly916
Earning My Ears

Rats...I was hoping for FD too...
skelly916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: