Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #751
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twinboys
I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and book for Jan 2-6 or to wait for a discount to come out. If rooms are booked are they less likely to offer the discount or do most of you book the room and then wait for the discount? Not sure what's the best plan??
I refuse to book til I know. Reason being, I figure if I book now, they'll presume my booking is 'solid' and will happen at the full price. I assure that given the economy and my own personal economy.. it won't.

See, I don't want to be a guy who gives others the 'wrong idea'.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #752
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Subscribing!

My family hasn't been to WDW in over 3 years! We have been AP holders at DL for a couple of years now. Our APs expired last month and thanks to the HUGE increase in price we decided not to renew.

Looking at flights, etc...WDW is almost the same price as a DL trip now!

We will go if there is a good offer. If not, it's back to DL.

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #753
crazy4tig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
I'm sure Disney is counting that after the holidays are over, that the Fantasyland expansion itself will fill rooms.
That's exactly what i'm worried about!

1996 off site2000 All Star Music2006 POR2007 POFQ2009POP
2010 POFQ (with an awsome discount)2011 POP2013 POR

crazy4tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #754
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
I refuse to book til I know. Reason being, I figure if I book now, they'll presume my booking is 'solid' and will happen at the full price. I assure that given the economy and my own personal economy.. it won't.

See, I don't want to be a guy who gives others the 'wrong idea'.

Same here. I'm worried if I book, they will figure they don't have to give discounts to fill the room. For us, If there isn't a decent room only code or fd, we will be booking offsite. There are 5 of us and onsite options (that we can afford!) are limited.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #755
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclester View Post
If Disney "weans" it's consumer off the discounts by suddenly REMOVING discounts, their hotel occupancy rate will suffer, I guarantee it. That's what happened a few years ago and they quickly brought the codes back. (Probably some bean counters idea of improving profitability in a depressed economy). Now they are smarter than that. Got a good thing and it's working. More than likely we will see the amount of the discount get less and less over time as the economy improves. This would contitute proper "weaning". This is how Disney is able to raise rack rates every year while other hotels outside of Disney have basically remained constant. The main problem is OUR SECRET is out and now more and more people want and wait for a code.

There will be a discount code for Jan/Feb..........we'll just have to wait for it.
I agree completely. Weaning people off discounts means offering less discounts throughout the year or keeping room and food rates reasonable and offering lower discounts. Instead they raise prices which, in many ways, offsets say FD or 35% off room discounts so that while you still save money you are not making off like a bandit!

And I do not care what anyone says about the economy! In August 2012 it was reported that Disney had record setting quarterly earnings: http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/07/inve...ings/index.htm.

Two particular quotes of interest from the article:
"We had a phenomenal third quarter, delivering the largest quarterly earnings in the history of our company," Iger said in a statement.

and

The company's parks and resorts division also booked solid gains, with profits rising 21% to $630 million.

Yes - - that does say Disney parks and resorts had a 21% increase in profits!!! Given all those profits with discounts offered in 2012 I'd say they were successful giving people options to afford a WDW vacation.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #756
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

FWIW- We are staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek b/c I knew I couldn't count on a discount. My DB and Dsil really wanted to stay onsite with a discount for at least a few nights. Now I am glad that we made our WBC (we will have a car and APs to cover transportation and parking, just missing out on EMH) plans for the whole week b/c with 9 of us going..... I would have been sweating it big time worrying about a discount for 3rooms onsite. As it is now we have a 3 bedroom presidential at WBC for $1950 for 9 nights (including NYE). No way Disney will come close to that (in terms of price, but i am loving how close it is in terms of location) And now with them holding out on issuing Jan discounts, makes me even more comfortable with my offsite decision.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #757
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Honestly, what I'm most upset about at this pt is the fact that discounts have been out for Europe for over a month now and when i asked CS about this very fact there response was "Europeans typically book earlier than Americans." WHAT!!! I almost feel discriminated against like i'm being punished for being an American.
prune1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #758
BanditsMommy
Mouseketeer

I have reservations and flights booked currently, but I am thinking of canceling just my room only reservation in hopes that they send me some sort of offer. Is this crazy?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #759
javert78
We've got magic to do!

The thought crossed my mind, too but no one really seems to know how pins work. We're booked at Little Mermaid section of AoA so I never really counted on a discount there. Would love to throw more money at Disney to upgrade, but need free standard dining to do it. Otherwise we're very very happy staying put. We're going in low season but I don't want to lose AoA gambling on the chance I fit a profile for a pin that happens to be for our dates.

And DON'T underestimate the importance of body language! Hah!
javert78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #760
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Nothing this morning. CM said they expect them any time now, probably this month.
Don't you feel like they will never come? I don't know if I will be able to comprehend it when they do, I've heard no so many times.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #761
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

I am hoping for an AP code for early January. Hoping for the GF before school starts back

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Cotillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #762
zoey9989
Mouseketeer

we have decided that if free dining doesnt come it we will be going all inclusive in punta cana.
zoey9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #763
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune1977 View Post
Honestly, what I'm most upset about at this pt is the fact that discounts have been out for Europe for over a month now and when i asked CS about this very fact there response was "Europeans typically book earlier than Americans." WHAT!!! I almost feel discriminated against like i'm being punished for being an American.
Well the truth is that not only do they book earlier, they pretty much have to ..

Few reasons why :

1. Euros get much more vacation than North Americans on average.. roughly double.. they tend to plan those way in advance

2. And they would need to given the cost of Trans Atlantic flights etc. Remember - the cost of getting a family of four from Europe to Orlando can exceed the cost of a 5 night/ 6day package.

3. All of the above is why most Euros who come tend to stay longer (10-20 nights) and spend more on average per day while they are they.

Nobody likes to hear it but the European guests are highly valued for all these reasons which can be summarized as this :

Disney makes more money from them on a per person/per day average basis than most others.

Once upon a time that was Pacific Rim countries that held that honor. Now it's mainly Europe.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #764
kiddywhompus
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey9989 View Post
we have decided that if free dining doesnt come it we will be going all inclusive in punta cana.

Oh yes! Now there's a good idea!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #765
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune1977 View Post
They've had the 2013 free dining offer more than 4 months at this point.

Does Disney not think that people in North America plan a vacation more than 2-3 months in advance? It's almost a penalty on those of us who carefully budget and plan! I want to know what I will pay for my vacation before "last minute discounts" may be announced and applied!
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: