Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Fort Wilderness Campsite Questions?

For some reason my previous thread with the same questions got deleted.

Back-story: I am considering staying at the Fort for the first time this May. I have been to Walt Disney World eight times in the last five years. It has been just me and the hubby every time. We have stayed at the All Star Movies x2, All Star Music x2, POP Century x2, All Star Sports x1 and Caribbean Beach Resort x1. I have never been camping and my husband as only done it as apart military training. We would be camping using a tent that we will pack in our car and would be in loop 1500 or 2000 because we are looking for the cheapest loops. We are going on a cruise for five days on the Magic before hitting Walt Disney World.

Questions: The first questions and most important to me are in regards to the comfort stations:
A-COMFORT STATIONS
1.) Is that how clean are the comfort station? 2.) Is the showers separate and private? 3.) Do the showers have hooks in the private part for you to hang your cloths where they will not get wet? 4.) How do you work towels and wash cloths? I am guessing bath soap and shampoo/conditioner is best to bring gel or liquid kind? 5.) Is there a place to sanitarily put in my contact and then take them out at night? Any experiences with that, tips? 6.) Brushing teeth and makeup is there mirrors to do this and some sink space? 7.) I am assuming comfort stations are separate male and female?
B-PRIVACY:
1.) How private is each campsite? 2.) are things safe in your tent. Could I leave my tent up with my things in it such as toiletries and cloths?
C-WALKING and TRANSPORTATION:
1.) How much walking is there? 2.) How is the transportation compared to the value resorts in getting to the parks and Downtown? I know you take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and Contemporary and at the Marina location I believe there is a bus to Wilderness Lodge. At the other bus location is buses to the other three parks and Downtown Disney.
D-EATING:
1.) Is there any places nearby that excepts QSDP? What types of food can you get with DP if so?
E-THINGS NEEDED:
1. What all are must haves?
List of what I think :
-Blow Up Mattress
-Blankets
-Pillows
-Tent
-Shampoo/Conditioner
-Bath Soap
-Towels/Wash Cloths
-Contact/Glasses Solution
-Alarm Clock
-Lantern
-Cloths
-Bags for Dirty Laundry
-Flops or Crocs for shower
Did I miss anything?
F-Special Activities:
1.) What are the special activities not to miss? 2.)The Chip and Dale campfire seems really neat in May what time do they do this?
G- TENT:
1.) Is it possible to get a two person tent that I will not get soaked in if it rains for under $40, any recommendations? We will not be in it much as we plan on the most part besides a few activities at the resort we will be at the parks from opening to closing.
H-CRITTERS:
1.) Are unwanted critters such as snacks, mice and bugs bad at the campsites?

I am sure I am forgetting to ask something but I will leave at this. Sorry so many questions but I am a first time camper.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
LynneyPooh
Mouseketeer

Location: Fom the Mountains to the Coast...Where nothing could be finer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty Fairy View Post
For some reason my previous thread with the same questions got deleted.

Back-story: I am considering staying at the Fort for the first time this May. I have been to Walt Disney World eight times in the last five years. It has been just me and the hubby every time. We have stayed at the All Star Movies x2, All Star Music x2, POP Century x2, All Star Sports x1 and Caribbean Beach Resort x1. I have never been camping and my husband as only done it as apart military training. We would be camping using a tent that we will pack in our car and would be in loop 1500 or 2000 because we are looking for the cheapest loops. We are going on a cruise for five days on the Magic before hitting Walt Disney World.

Questions: The first questions and most important to me are in regards to the comfort stations:
A-COMFORT STATIONS
1.) Is that how clean are the comfort station? VERY CLEAN! PROBABLY CLEANER Than your home
2.) Is the showers separate and private? YES
3.) Do the showers have hooks in the private part for you to hang your cloths where they will not get wet? YES
4.) How do you work towels and wash cloths? We camp in a pop up. I usually bring a laundrey basket full of towels and cloths as I am a little pickey in this area. For me I actually will do a load of towel laudrey if needed.
I am guessing bath soap and shampoo/conditioner is best to bring gel or liquid kind? IMO-YES
5.) Is there a place to sanitarily put in my contact and then take them out at night? Any experiences with that, tips? 6.) Brushing teeth and makeup is there mirrors to do this and some sink space? Large counter and sink space with room for contacts, make-up, hair teeth etc. Time your trip to the bath house either very early or late to avoid crowds.
7.) I am assuming comfort stations are separate male and female?YES, but side-by-side so you and DH can time things to go at the same time.
B-PRIVACY:
1.) How private is each campsite? Not extremely private, however no one really pays much attention to those around them, unless you're the socail type and indicate you want to be chatty neighbors. Tents, campers, cars, etc are more of your barriers than nature
2.) are things safe in your tent. Could I leave my tent up with my things in it such as toiletries and cloths? Sorry no experience with tent camping
1.) How much walking is there? 2.) How is the transportation compared to the value resorts in getting to the parks and Downtown? I know you take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and Contemporary and at the Marina location I believe there is a bus to Wilderness Lodge. At the other bus location is buses to the other three parks and Downtown Disney.There is an internal bus sysytem to get around the fort. Lots of folks will drive their cars or rent a golf cart. Also we found that it took less time to get to MK and Epcot from the fort. We stayed at ASM and POP in Oct and felt like we were forever on the bus.
D-EATING:
1.) Is there any places nearby that excepts QSDP? What types of food can you get with DP if so? Sorry, we really didn't eat at the fort except what we cooked. All of our DDP eats were either in the parks or at other resorts.
E-THINGS NEEDED:
1. What all are must haves?
List of what I think :
-Blow Up Mattress
-Blankets
-Pillows
-Tent
-Shampoo/Conditioner
-Bath Soap
-Towels/Wash Cloths
-Alarm Clock
-Lantern
-Cloths
-Bags for Dirty Laundry
Did I miss anything?
F-Special Activities:
1.) What are the special activities not to miss 2.)The Chip and Dale campfire seems really neat in May what time do they do this?DD really enjoyed this, but there were lots of kids. However this was in late june for us. Also they do moives under the stars and lots of activites at the pool.
G- TENT:
1.) Is it possible to get a two person tent that I will not get soaked in if it rains for under $40, any recommendations? We will not be in it much as we plan on the most part besides a few activities at the resort we will be at the parks from opening to closing.
H-CRITTERS:
1.) Are unwanted critters such as snacks, mice and bugs bad at the campsites?
We saw lots of squirrels, birds and lots of mosquitos. No real experience with any other pesky critters
I am sure I am forgetting to ask something but I will leave at this. Sorry so many questions but I am a first time camper.
You're gonna love FW! Have fun!

MK/Epcot July 1986 1st Visit-MK/Epcot July 1987 First & Only visit w/parents-MK offsite March 1989 Sr.Trip -MK off site April 2006 DD 1st Mickey visit-POR June 2007 1st Family resort trip -Magic July 2009 1st Family Cruise-CB Jan.2011 1st Adults Only-The Fort June 2011- AS Music & POP MNSVSHP Oct 2011 June 2012 Wonder to Alaska-Jan 2013 POP/Outback Bowl-The Fort and Universal June 2013

LynneyPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneyPooh View Post

You're gonna love FW! Have fun!
Thanks so much. So Bug Spray is a must?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
luckycharm19335
DIS Veteran

I am not a tent camper, so I really can't help you with those details.
However, I can add to the list of critters spotted at the Fort:
snakes, armadillos and deer come to mind first.
I have been known to hop up on the picnic table when a I spot a snake.
luckycharm19335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
2.) are things safe in your tent.

What all are must haves?
List of what I think :
-Blow Up Mattress
-Blankets
-Pillows
-Tent
-Shampoo/Conditioner
-Bath Soap
-Towels/Wash Cloths
-Alarm Clock
-Lantern
-Cloths
-Bags for Dirty Laundry
Did I miss anything?
I have never camped at FW, this fall will be our first time, but DH and I do camp quite a bit. There seems to be a lot of respect among campers and our things have never been bothered no matter where we camped. Think of it like your hotel room. You could lock up money, credit cards and jewelry in the safe if you go out, keep those things in your car.

I would add a flashlight or two to your list. And if you plan to relax at your site, bring some folding chairs and a radio.
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Here is a packing list.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1115732

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Just a ditto on the wicked clean comfort stations. When we tented and popped-up the Disney comfort stations were the cleanest and nicest comfort stations we ever saw (one rival exception was the state park at Indiana Dunes - very Disney-like!)

One suggestion is to get yourself a plastic basket to carry your toiletries in when your're going to and from the comfort station, that way you're not juggling all your stuff. Liquids are easier, but I prefer bar soap, and for that I found it was just easiest and least messy to keep the cardboard box it comes in and just stick it back in there after use. It dries out better than in one of those plastic boxes where it just turns to goo!

And on critters - yes, the squirrels will take food stuff that you leave out. I would close it up in heavy duty plastic boxes or put it in your car.

Transport - if you have bikes and a means to bring them along, do it. We love being able to get around the Fort on bikes, otherwise the internal bus service is pretty efficient, and if you're in the 1500 loop you'll be super close to the Meadows area for swimming and the trading post, etc.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
jonimce
DIS Veteran

We have tent camped a few times in the 1500 loop. Not sure how hot it is in May, we always go in Aug., but a box fan will help cool things off at night if it is hot. Make sure you use a tarp under the tent. We had rain almost everyday but for only a short time. No one has ever bothered any of our stuff. We took a screen house, put it over the table with a fridge on it. Just for cold water and snacks.

1500 is not far to walk to the boat to get to the parks but after walking all day in the parks you may think it's miles back to your campsite. This is when you hop on the bus.
jonimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

Bama Ed may show up to offer some sage advice. The laundry is between the mens and womens comfort station sections. Washer and dryer each $2.00. Ice machine outside also $2.00 a bag. Ice also at trading post for slightly more, but is larger and colder, so it stays frozen longer. Showers are private and each stall encloses separate wet and dry areas, with a small shelf/bench in the dry section. We have two kids in wheelchairs and regularly use the internal busses to get to the Settlement (Marina area) and the Outpost (Park busses and check-in area). All busses run frequently. if you want to pay, there is the Backyard BBQ and the Hoop De Doo Revue. Both feature all you care to eat BBQ type fare. Both are costly, but worth at least one visit. The BBQ is centered around music and kiddy entertainment, and the HDD is a six member cast show with a lot of audience interaction.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We love camping, but above ground No way would I sleep in a tent. We've been in FW camping since the year after it opened ('72), but it is FL, and it is woods with water around, so yes, there are critters, and ones you would not want to step on in the dark Not trying to scare you, because many people sleep in tents there and seem to do fine, but just to make you aware, no Disney magic keeps the snakes away Some people have mentioned mosquitoes before, but to be honest, don't think we have ever seen any - maybe we are not tasty enough, and most of our trips are in the summer. As far as safety for your things, would not leave anything in a tent that you would not really want to lose. It doesn't happen often, but have heard of things "walking away" As for bus service, we seldom have a problem, some people say there is, but we're pretty laid back and it takes a lot to bother us when we're enjoying ourselves - mostly barking dogs and spot-light christmas lights in our face all night - those we will not take . Have a very good trip and if you forget something, there's a Walmart not far off I think
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Feisty Fairy,

I saw your original post. It was up the same time the DIS was doing a server migration earlier this week and it didn't index properly the threads/contents posted during the migration. That is to say, your post had contents that you didn't write. It was about the American Idol episode and who should be voted off/stay.

When the migration was over those threads got wiped out since they weren't right. No conspiracy, it's just that the DIS is going through an upgrade (finally) for which we are grateful.

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far but your topic is very broad. Digest the answers you've gotten so far then post follow-up threads that are focused on a particular topic. Using the "SEARCH" function on this forum with some key search words will provide a lot of info since the current board only shows threads posted with replies in the last 30 days.

Another Disney site has pictures of the Fort that are well-labeled so go through them. We'll get you to your comfort zone. <having trouble posting the link. I will get it updates so watch here> http://allears.net/acc/g_ftw.htm

Bama ED

PS-There goes KristinU with her "wicked" reference again. It must be good to be home in the Northeast, huh girl?

PPS-the singalong starts at 8 pm during the summer months and the movie starts about 840 pm. A movie schedule gets posted here for the current month at the beginning of the month. Roast a marshmellow for me, will you?
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182

Last edited by bama_ed; 04-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Where do you get the free refills with Disney Resort mug?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
Feisty Fairy,
PS-There goes KristinU with her "wicked" reference again. It must be good to be home in the Northeast, huh girl?

PPS-the singalong starts at 8 pm during the summer months and the movie starts about 840 pm. A movie schedule gets posted here for the current month at the beginning of the month. Roast a marshmellow for me, will you?
LOL, Bama Ed! The funny thing is that I'm a transplant to out here...but I guess after 12 years it has become pretty ingrained!

Quote:
Where do you get the free refills with Disney Resort mug?
At the Trails to Go counter at Trails End, and at the Meadows Snack Bar, from what I understand.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

A-COMFORT STATIONS
1.) Is that how clean are the comfort station? 2.) Is the showers separate and private? 3.) Do the showers have hooks in the private part for you to hang your cloths where they will not get wet? 4.) How do you work towels and wash cloths? I am guessing bath soap and shampoo/conditioner is best to bring gel or liquid kind? 5.) Is there a place to sanitarily put in my contact and then take them out at night? Any experiences with that, tips? 6.) Brushing teeth and makeup is there mirrors to do this and some sink space? 7.) I am assuming comfort stations are separate male and female? I like to use the combo shampoo and body wash. My DW takes body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. The CS has large sink areas with large mirrors and I have had no trouble inserting or removing my contacts there. The shower stalls are large and have a curtain to separate the dressing/undressing portion (small bench inside) and the privacy door has a hook.
B-PRIVACY:
1.) How private is each campsite? 2.) are things safe in your tent. Could I leave my tent up with my things in it such as toiletries and cloths? Campsite privacy is adequate and most sites have trees or short bushes to separate you from your neighbors. We have not had any problems tent camping with stuff left in our tent…just apply common sense rules when it comes to securing things.
1.) How much walking is there? 2.) How is the transportation compared to the value resorts in getting to the parks and Downtown? I know you take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and Contemporary and at the Marina location I believe there is a bus to Wilderness Lodge. At the other bus location is buses to the other three parks and Downtown Disney. Transportation around the campground is pretty good, but sometimes it seems like the bus arrival at your stop is a little long. Some campers rent or bring electric golf carts or bicycle. Unfortunately, you may only use your car to enter or leave the campground. Walking around the campground is pretty easy (good sidewalks)….if you find yourself assigned to the 2000 loop, there is a walking shortcut to the Meadows in the back of the group camping area (next door), over a small bridge, and then through the 900 loop (which is right across the road from the Meadows).
D-EATING:
1.) Is there any places nearby that excepts QSDP? What types of food can you get with DP if so?
E-THINGS NEEDED:
What all are must haves?
List of what I think :
-Blow Up Mattress
-Blankets
-Pillows
-Tent
-Shampoo/Conditioner
-Bath Soap
-Towels/Wash Cloths
-Alarm Clock
-Lantern
-Cloths
-Bags for Dirty Laundry
Did I miss anything? You might want to include a small flashlight to walk at night (campground gets pretty dark) and also you might want to have a light(s) in your campsite that turns on at dusk…the campsites have electricity that is included. I bring a rope light and connect it to an outdoor timer.
F-Special Activities:
1.) What are the special activities not to miss? 2.)The Chip and Dale campfire seems really neat in May what time do they do this? The campfire and sing-along, the outdoor movie, and water pageant are all nightly (weather permitting). You should find a list of other activities posted on the bulletin board at the CS and you will also be given a list in your check-in packet.
G- TENT:
1.) Is it possible to get a two person tent that I will not get soaked in if it rains for under $40, any recommendations? We will not be in it much as we plan on the most part besides a few activities at the resort we will be at the parks from opening to closing. A inexpensive tent will work fine, just be sure to stake it down with heavier duty stakes than those that come with the tent. Extra insurance for water leakage would be to apply extra water proofing spray to the tent fabric, apply extra seam sealant, and ensure any objects are not touching the sides of the tent (inside and outside).
H-CRITTERS:
1.) Are unwanted critters such as snacks, mice and bugs bad at the campsites? The only unwanted critters that we have encountered tent camping at the Fort where a raccoon, an armadillo, and mosquitoes. The raccoon raided our cooler one night (only time that happened in all the trips we’ve camped there). I always make sure that I leave the tent zipped.

Hope this helps
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I just booked six nights with QSDP and PH and requested loop 1500 as it looks smaller, more secluded and closer to the boat, swimming pool, trading post etc.. Booked through AAA and was able to save some money . My agent called and put in the request and of course Disney can not grantee but said it should not be an issue. Everyone has been so helpful. Now only to get a tent. I already have a blow up mattress and blow up pillows with it. I am leaning toward an Quest Eagle Six person tent or a Quest Eagle four person tent. They look like they would fit our needs one you can stand in and one is sitting room only. There is also a Coleman about the same price but it had mixed reviews.

I think I have everything I need to bring except. A light source, a tent, a roll of paper towels for the trip and some Wet Ones maybe a small fan. That should not be that much.

PS Specs of the Quest Eagle Tent I am looking at. The only difference in the two are size.

HydraTek superior rain protection - additional water repellent application - increases both water shedding and drying capabilities
600mm waterproof coating
Bathtub style floor - elevates seams above the ground
Fly seams are taped to prevent seam leakage
Mesh windows keep out even the tiniest insects
2-pole design allows for fast setup
2 mesh storage pockets
Poles: 2
Type of poles: Shock-corded fiberglass
Fly included
Gear loft included

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: