Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Counting steps devices

Be been feeling horrible! My blood sugar has been high and I've gained a few pounds. I need to get back in track!!

I want to get one of those step counter devices. I went in to best buy today and I was lost, all were different than the ones I remember lol! I have an iPhone if hat helps. I want something easy to carry . I think the pocket ones aren't a good one for me cause I might wash it .

Please recommend a good one and one that won't break the bank I do hv best but card, SAMs, and Costco so I can charge it if I need to. Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

My family carries the fitbit one. They're a little pricey at $99.00 but I've had mine replaced twice at no additional charge and dh had his replaced once. The fitbit syncs with the My Fitness Pal app on your iPhone that counts steps and allows for calorie counting.
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Kristie911
Mouseketeer

I have the Fitbit Zip which I LOVE!! It doesn't have a bunch of extras but is just a little bit more than just a plain pedometer. It syncs to your iPhone and several apps (I use MyFitnessPal for calorie tracking). And at just $49 it won't break the bank. I just clip it to either my bra or the little pocket on my jeans.
DD Lexi 3

Planning our first family Disney vacation!!

Kristie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
scard192
DIS Veteran

Had the Fitbit Zip and upgraded to the One which I really like. Gave my sister my Zip and she loves it.

I think Target sells the Zip for around $50; Zip needs batteries which last about 4 months, the One has a rechargeable batt.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

I use the Fitbit One. It syncs on its own, I recharge it about once a week. And more importantly? Fitbit will replace it if you lose the little sucker.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info . Is the fit bit a clip on or bracelet ?
There was a few bracelet one I seen. There was a brand jaw something can't remember.

Anyone else??
Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I have a fitbit one and love it!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

If you have an Iphone 5S, you might want to look into the app called Pedometer++ - it uses the motion co-processor, so your Iphone can count steps for you all day.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

I have the Misfit Shine and I really like it, my Mom has the FitBit Zip and she's happy with hers as well.

BabyFu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
Scottishbrit
Mouseketeer

I have a fitbit and LOVE it! The bracelet one..
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi View Post
My family carries the fitbit one. They're a little pricey at $99.00 but I've had mine replaced twice at no additional charge and dh had his replaced once. The fitbit syncs with the My Fitness Pal app on your iPhone that counts steps and allows for calorie counting.
If you don't mind me asking , why did you and your dh have to replace it? Was it defect or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie911 View Post
I have the Fitbit Zip which I LOVE!! It doesn't have a bunch of extras but is just a little bit more than just a plain pedometer. It syncs to your iPhone and several apps (I use MyFitnessPal for calorie tracking). And at just $49 it won't break the bank. I just clip it to either my bra or the little pocket on my jeans.
I'm just worried about having to clip it. Will it stay in place? I work with kids so lots of movement
Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
Had the Fitbit Zip and upgraded to the One which I really like. Gave my sister my Zip and she loves it.

I think Target sells the Zip for around $50; Zip needs batteries which last about 4 months, the One has a rechargeable batt.
Is it bulky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
I use the Fitbit One. It syncs on its own, I recharge it about once a week. And more importantly? Fitbit will replace it if you lose the little sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post
If you have an Iphone 5S, you might want to look into the app called Pedometer++ - it uses the motion co-processor, so your Iphone can count steps for you all day.
I have the iphone 5 I don't always carry my phone at work or during cleaning time at home so I would missout on steps
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
I have the Misfit Shine and I really like it, my Mom has the FitBit Zip and she's happy with hers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishbrit View Post
I have a fitbit and LOVE it! The bracelet one..
Thank you
Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

To those using the bracelet fitbit is it comfortable? Does it stay on or come off easy?

If I go the clip route I want something easy to hide, strong clip
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_disney View Post
To those using the bracelet fitbit is it comfortable? Does it stay on or come off easy?

If I go the clip route I want something easy to hide, strong clip
Its a lot to consider. I have an iPhone and did use a pedometer ap - which ate up my battery.. I also used My Fitness Pal ap -

then lots of my internet friends talked about fitbit - I got the small fitbit zip which clips on to something (several users clip it to bras - ignorant me didn't know it has all kinds of computer resource - like charger for battery... and by then I upgraded to the bracelet - you have the fitbit community and dashboard - - (for any fitbit) and can connect with the My Fitness Pal - do find a community to encourage you and have "friends" on your dashboard to encourage you!

As a previous poster said - mine popped off someplace and I politely emailed (got the email address off the fitbit dashboard/website) and they did replace it!

Its a soft rubbery bracelet - and much like a watch, you get used to it. I don't shower with mine, and sometimes, I don't wear it at night ( I never wore a watch either) I enjoyed looking at my sleep habits - but didn't find it necessary every night - - (there are youtube videos on how to put the thing to sleep, I did get confused a couple of times)

I also set my goal to 5,000 steps, it automatically sets for 10,000 steps - I'll get there!

There is also a learning curve to getting it on the wrist - I like to have some room for it on my wrist not super tight.. its easy to clean and it does give you incentive to get up and move! However, even tho on the fitbit dashboard, it tells you calories burned, that's not an exact science - some latest news reports say the fitbit may make you fat.. um, no, its the people that see they've burned 1700 (made up by me) calories so you can eat more... nope...
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
Its a lot to consider. I have an iPhone and did use a pedometer ap - which ate up my battery.. I also used My Fitness Pal ap -

then lots of my internet friends talked about fitbit - I got the small fitbit zip which clips on to something (several users clip it to bras - ignorant me didn't know it has all kinds of computer resource - like charger for battery... and by then I upgraded to the bracelet - you have the fitbit community and dashboard - - (for any fitbit) and can connect with the My Fitness Pal - do find a community to encourage you and have "friends" on your dashboard to encourage you!

As a previous poster said - mine popped off someplace and I politely emailed (got the email address off the fitbit dashboard/website) and they did replace it!

Its a soft rubbery bracelet - and much like a watch, you get used to it. I don't shower with mine, and sometimes, I don't wear it at night ( I never wore a watch either) I enjoyed looking at my sleep habits - but didn't find it necessary every night - - (there are youtube videos on how to put the thing to sleep, I did get confused a couple of times)

I also set my goal to 5,000 steps, it automatically sets for 10,000 steps - I'll get there!

There is also a learning curve to getting it on the wrist - I like to have some room for it on my wrist not super tight.. its easy to clean and it does give you incentive to get up and move! However, even tho on the fitbit dashboard, it tells you calories burned, that's not an exact science - some latest news reports say the fitbit may make you fat.. um, no, its the people that see they've burned 1700 (made up by me) calories so you can eat more... nope...
Thanks for all the helpful info. What does it track at night just sleeping patter as in how many hours your sleep? Does it track anything else at night?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Kristie911
Mouseketeer

I either tuck the Zip in the little pocket on my jeans (with the screen part inside) so you only see the outside of the clip or I clip it in the middle of my bra which works awesome as well. It has never even come loose, let alone fallen out. It's very small but the clip is very stiff. I even wear it clipped on the side of my sports bra (in front of my armpit just where the strap comes down) during martial arts and it's never budged an inch even when we get pretty rough. I've been really happy with it.

The Zip does not track sleep but I use the Sleep Cycle app on my iPhone5s when I want to track sleep. I did for a few weeks but sleep really isn't an issue for me, so I only do it sporadically now. If you want to track sleep with your device, the Fitbit One or Flex would be a better choice. The Flex is the bracelet. I looked at that but I didn't want a bracelet and it's expensive.
DD Lexi 3

Planning our first family Disney vacation!!

Kristie911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: