Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobMrsZ View Post
This is a great post..I'm trying to save money for a disney trip but its become too hard to go from having two working people to one..Me being a stay at home mommy we've had to juggle everything!! Fun stuff when all i wanna do is go to Disney and have fun with my family!!
I know all about that! If you need any pointers, I am sure there are plenty of us who have done the same, so we can help you out! Just say the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
If we have a big trip coming up we typically cut out off "fun" things about 2 months before-- no dining out, no movies, no expensive purchases!

I love some of the ideas on here!
Sounds like a plan! I can't avoid some fun before we leave b/c my daughter's b-day is two days before, but we will limit our other activities for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbunkins View Post
We put away $100 per month by buying Disney gift cards. DH and I each do $50 and we use the gift card website. They have a huge selection so we find ones we think the other would like. You can also personalize them and use your own pictures. So this month I used a picture of our house since we celebrated the 1st anniversary of buying our first home. It serves two purposes: money saving for the trip and everytime we get a card it gets us that much more excited for our trip!

For my birthday one of my gifts was an extra GC above the $100 we got that month. When DH's birthday comes in Aug. I'm going to get him Lego store GC since he collects Legos and we always stop at the one in DTD when we're there.

And we have a change jar.
I like that you are able to make saving fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I love this thread! Finally people who don't look down their nose at couponers! I too use coupons alot, and do not buy processed unhealthy foods with them. We also have money come right off our pays for vacation fund, any extra cash at x-mas, b-days, income tax, vacation pay all goes to Disney!

My youngest is finished preschool this June and I like that idea of still putting that money away as we are already used to not having it...nice!! Keep the great ideas coming!
I think anyone who would look down on couponers is silly. Coupons are cash, and I like not having to pay for things with hard earned money. I would rather pay with a piece of paper! Hahaha! People love coming to my house! There is always an over-abundance of food! It kills me when the kids say there's nothing to eat. Spoiled brats!!! I guess they don't remember the days when we had barely anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofystitchfan View Post
This is a great question... and I read some wonderful things.
What I do, since I am in charge of planning all vacations and payments, here's what I do
* I work a few hours a week at one of DS's school, and that check goes right into the vacation fund
* any and all rebates that come back in cash goes into the fund
* both me and DH do focus groups, again into the fund
* yard sale money that I make goes in
* I love to shop and we have many famous named outlet's near us where I get FANTASTIC deals on things. I sell them on ebay and that goes into the fund
* have the Disney visa and charge all I can (pay off immediately as if I paid cash) and upgraded to the Premeir card to double points
* Purchased DVC and we do almost all our cooking etc in the condo

* PS I am a contest junkie... and win a lot of prizes both cash and stuff, sell the stuff I can't use/don't want and you know what gets done with cash
All great ideas!! I knew I would find a great group of people willing to share their awesome strategies!

**On a happy dance type of note...I just wanted to say...We booked our flights today!!! Dancing banana, yeah, yeah!!! Woot, woot!!!!**

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
I know all about that! If you need any pointers, I am sure there are plenty of us who have done the same, so we can help you out! Just say the word!

Sounds like a plan! I can't avoid some fun before we leave b/c my daughter's b-day is two days before, but we will limit our other activities for sure!

I like that you are able to make saving fun!

I think anyone who would look down on couponers is silly. Coupons are cash, and I like not having to pay for things with hard earned money. I would rather pay with a piece of paper! Hahaha! People love coming to my house! There is always an over-abundance of food! It kills me when the kids say there's nothing to eat. Spoiled brats!!! I guess they don't remember the days when we had barely anything.

All great ideas!! I knew I would find a great group of people willing to share their awesome strategies!

**On a happy dance type of note...I just wanted to say...We booked our flights today!!! Dancing banana, yeah, yeah!!! Woot,
woot!!!!**

May I do the happy dance with you???
Congrats for flights!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
ramsfootball92
Mouseketeer

Any OT that I work goes directly into the Disney fund. Also, my middle son pays his car insurance directly to us because he is still living at home and on our policy. I stick that cash in a secret hiding spot for Disney too. We didn't make him pay until he graduated high school last year so I have never factored this payment into our monthly budget. Obviously not everyone can do this but it is working for our situation

me (39) , DH - (42) , DS - (21) ,DS - (20) , DD - (19) , DS - (14) , DD - (14) , DGD , DDogs - Praline and Ginger

04/81 - off-site, 4/06 - OKW, 4/07 - OKW, 04/08 - SSR, 2/09 thru 3/09 - OKW and BWV, 6/09 All-Star Sports, THV and OKW, 06/10 - AKV, 11/10 - CBR and OKW, 03/11 - OKW, 04/11 - THV, 10/11 - SSR, WL, Poly and BLT, 3/12 - YC and AKV, 5/12 - OKW and BLT, 10/12 - offsite (boo!), 3/14 - AKV

ramsfootball92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #34
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
May I do the happy dance with you???
Congrats for flights!!
The more the merrier!!! Thanx for joining in!

On a bummer note now, with my hubby not working as much for two weeks and then not working at all for one week, I have been working so hard to stay on budget! I am afraid that if I were to go even slightly off of my budget plan, I would have a rough time getting back on! So far we've managed to make it and pay every bill, but there has been barely anything extra this month for Disney (besides the already budgeted amount), when last month I think we saved $1200!!!! I know I have time, but it was a bit of a kick in the pants this month. Argh. Today hubby worked his regular job, came home to eat, then left again to go to his side job, and will have to go directly to work again in the AM!!! I feel so bad for him. It just so happened that they needed him to work at the side job tonight. Extra money costs extra in energy I guess. We may keep our budget by the skin of our teeth this month!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
Dismom55
DIS Veteran

I used to do about all these things. My husband was the biggest depositor of the change jar, but since his death, well that does not happen as much since I do not carry cash much, but what cash I do carry, the change goes in the jar. I did recently sell my husbands car and so that money will go to the Disney account, which is an interest bearing checking account. The tax return will also go into that account.

I like to do rebates when I can, all go into the Disney account. I also do surveys, I so not get cash, but get gas cards most times, this pays for my travel cost as I drive to Disney.

Every penny helps, and any extra money from any source goes to the Disney account.

Dismom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #36
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom55 View Post
I used to do about all these things. My husband was the biggest depositor of the change jar, but since his death, well that does not happen as much since I do not carry cash much, but what cash I do carry, the change goes in the jar. I did recently sell my husbands car and so that money will go to the Disney account, which is an interest bearing checking account. The tax return will also go into that account.

I like to do rebates when I can, all go into the Disney account. I also do surveys, I so not get cash, but get gas cards most times, this pays for my travel cost as I drive to Disney.

Every penny helps, and any extra money from any source goes to the Disney account.
Wow. I am really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the strength it takes.

Way to keep making sure to the magic continues.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

Ive been direct depositing money every paycheck into our savings account since August and everytime I get a raise or any extra I put it in there. I have it all on a spreadsheet too to keep track of it all. Recently I started making and selling homemade organic protein bars to my hubbys clients (he'sa personal trainer) and in just six weeks ive already made over $350. I want to make this a trip to remember for my little Ariel!

Suz (40) DH-Matt (38) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #38
Dismom55
DIS Veteran

Blackbeltdisneygirl, really the hard part is not running straight to Disney and just staying there, I would if I could. Thanks tho, after 38 yrs of marriage, I am truely lost without him, so planning Disney trips is what keeps me going.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
christym
Mouseketeer

Seriously, I didn't even think of going to save the daycare costs. This next year will be my son's last in full time daycare. That'll be an extra $425/month that we won't be spending. And now it will be going right into savings! I was stretching thinking about a trip in 3 years - some days it seems like the budget is impossible - but y'all just made my day, so thank you!!!

Our next trip: 2015 - 10th anniversary!

christym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSuz View Post
Ive been direct depositing money every paycheck into our savings account since August and everytime I get a raise or any extra I put it in there. I have it all on a spreadsheet too to keep track of it all. Recently I started making and selling homemade organic protein bars to my hubbys clients (he'sa personal trainer) and in just six weeks ive already made over $350. I want to make this a trip to remember for my little Ariel!
This is what I am talking about! Becoming an entrepreneur!!! Today when we were at the flea market, we tried something new just to see what would happen. I had the girls whip up some cupcakes last night, and we put them on the end of our table. We made $8.00, and it was so easy. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but we can expand on that and do more next time. Every little bit helps!

Quote:
Blackbeltdisneygirl, really the hard part is not running straight to Disney and just staying there, I would if I could. Thanks tho, after 38 yrs of marriage, I am truely lost without him, so planning Disney trips is what keeps me going.
I would probably want to do the same. I want to do that now, and I have not suffered a loss. Congrats on your 38 years. It is a rare thing nowadays, and I always enjoy hearing of a couple making it like that. It gives the rest of us hope. My hubby and I are celebrating 14 years this June, and I am 34, so I guess by the time I am 58 I will have as many years under my belt as you and your husband had. There have been times I didn't think we would make it this far, but we have, and I can't imagine where I would be if he weren't here. I am glad you found something that keeps you busy and gives you joy. I guess that is what Disney is all about! Disney actually improved my marriage. I think we worked way too hard for way too long and still couldn't make ends meet. We never took the time to stop and appreciate each other b/c we just wanted to pay the bills and feed our kids. It took my parents taking the kids to Disney, and us tagging along for us to realize where we were headed if we didn't slow down and take the time. I am sure you can understand this: I finally understand what I would be missing if I did lose him. Now I appreciate every day with him. And...we make sure to take Disney trips now to give us a break to look forward to. Oddly enough, the ends have finally started meeting since we slowed our roll. Now all the bills are paid on time, and we pay extra on every bill. With learning to coupon there is always an abundance of food. I feel very blessed. Thank you for sharing with us about your husband. It makes me appreciate mine so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christym View Post
Seriously, I didn't even think of going to save the daycare costs. This next year will be my son's last in full time daycare. That'll be an extra $425/month that we won't be spending. And now it will be going right into savings! I was stretching thinking about a trip in 3 years - some days it seems like the budget is impossible - but y'all just made my day, so thank you!!!
Yay! Maybe with saving that much you can go even sooner????

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #41
Dismom55
DIS Veteran

I am grateful that we saved the money during a time when money was short to celebrate our 35th anniversary at WDW. Our anniversary was on Dec 29th and I wanted not only to spend our anniversary at WDW but the week before at Disney, so we arrived on the 23rd of Dec and stayed until the 1st of Jan. It might be the most crowded time and the most expensive time, but we had the best time and the kids and I have the most special memories from that trip. Even have a memory of the Fairy Godmother harrasing him (in a good way) at CRT. it was a hoot because he was usually the teaser. So I consider every penny saved and every sacrifice well worth it for all the great memories made while at Disney and all the opportunities for families to just be a family, relax and enjoy the moment.

One other thing we do to save money is instead of going to a theater, we wait until it comes out on DVD, then we have movie night at home. Of course now my kids are 23 and 19 yrs old and they tend to go with their friends and pay their own way, but when they were young we saved a ton of money that way. Then when we did go to the theater, it was really special.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
I am grateful that we saved the money during a time when money was short to celebrate our 35th anniversary at WDW. Our anniversary was on Dec 29th and I wanted not only to spend our anniversary at WDW but the week before at Disney, so we arrived on the 23rd of Dec and stayed until the 1st of Jan. It might be the most crowded time and the most expensive time, but we had the best time and the kids and I have the most special memories from that trip. Even have a memory of the Fairy Godmother harrasing him (in a good way) at CRT. it was a hoot because he was usually the teaser. So I consider every penny saved and every sacrifice well worth it for all the great memories made while at Disney and all the opportunities for families to just be a family, relax and enjoy the moment.

One other thing we do to save money is instead of going to a theater, we wait until it comes out on DVD, then we have movie night at home. Of course now my kids are 23 and 19 yrs old and they tend to go with their friends and pay their own way, but when they were young we saved a ton of money that way. Then when we did go to the theater, it was really special.
I am glad you were able to take the time too. Now you will have those memories forever. People often ask me why I want to keep going back to the same place, and people also talk about Disney being a money sucker. I don't care. I love it, and every penny is worth it. We work extra hard to go, so it doesn't take away from any of our bills and such. I want to make the effort to go as much as possible. I don't care what anyone says.

That's a good idea. We don't get to the movies much, though I love to go. It is a large expense for 7 of us. My parents like to take the kids, so sometimes we will tag along. I rarely even rent movies either. I guess having DirecTV and Netflix keeps me busy. I rarely watch my Netflix anymore either, so I am thinking of getting rid of it. We'll see. I remember the days when we couldn't afford anything. I ended up with a huge collection of movies that I just watched repeatedly. Now I hardly ever watch any!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #43
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
P.S. I don't count Chipotle as fast food.
I like the way you think!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

The first year we had saved up our tax returns for years and went all out. Last year we still had some money left over so we went on a slightly smaller scale. This year, that money is gone, but we haven't had to actually pay out of pocket (without saving) for a vacation for years, so we're just dipping into savings.

I'm hoping to go on an adults only trip next December and for that one I've been buying Disney gift cards every time I see them - I'm hoping to have several thousands by the next holiday season.

For our Disney Cruise (in the future - not sure when that will be) we are going to do the $5 Savings Plan (every time you get a $5 bill you save it - never ever spend it!) and I'll also buy gift cards for strictly that trip when we get back from our Christmas vacation next year.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Disney_Dad View Post
I like the way you think!
Haha! I gotta give myself a break somewhere, right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeH View Post
The first year we had saved up our tax returns for years and went all out. Last year we still had some money left over so we went on a slightly smaller scale. This year, that money is gone, but we haven't had to actually pay out of pocket (without saving) for a vacation for years, so we're just dipping into savings.

I'm hoping to go on an adults only trip next December and for that one I've been buying Disney gift cards every time I see them - I'm hoping to have several thousands by the next holiday season.

For our Disney Cruise (in the future - not sure when that will be) we are going to do the $5 Savings Plan (every time you get a $5 bill you save it - never ever spend it!) and I'll also buy gift cards for strictly that trip when we get back from our Christmas vacation next year.
Good deal. We are considering an adults only trip as well. We will be celebrating 15 years next year and would like to mark it in a special way. We are probably going to do a cruise with a couple days at Disney. I've never heard of the $5 savings plan, but it sounds good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: