Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
One small thing I do is every time I use a coupon, or get something on sale, I put the amount I saved into a separate savings account. It adds up pretty fast! Gives me a bit of an incentive to look for good sales too!
Great idea! For me that would be a bit crazy since I am an extreme couponer and have been doing it long before the show came out. I don't think I mentioned this, but my Giant Eagle receipt says that in one year I have saved over $15,000 between coupons, sales, and free gas. I could put some serious money away if I matched what I save! Maybe I will start doing a portion of what I save. I appreciate the pointer!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Morningstar2807
Earning My Ears

All these ideas are great! My Dh, DD and I are going on our first trip in 2013, so we have putting what ever extra away into a Christmas club acct (so we can touch it util Oct.) Like this summer I won't be paying daycare, so I put that extra in the acct or what ever extra money I have left if a bill is lower. Plus to get Dd involved she has a princess piggy bank just for Disney and we give her our quarters or since I work at a bank I will get her a few dollar coins a week ( lot easier to roll and to get out of the piggy bank).

Morningstar2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstar2807 View Post
All these ideas are great! My Dh, DD and I are going on our first trip in 2013, so we have putting what ever extra away into a Christmas club acct (so we can touch it util Oct.) Like this summer I won't be paying daycare, so I put that extra in the acct or what ever extra money I have left if a bill is lower. Plus to get Dd involved she has a princess piggy bank just for Disney and we give her our quarters or since I work at a bank I will get her a few dollar coins a week ( lot easier to roll and to get out of the piggy bank).
Nice job on the daycare idea. I will have to think about what I can do that is similar since I homeschool and don't need daycare. Maybe in the summer when my gas is cheaper I should put the remainder into gift cards. Hmmm...Thanx!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
Nice job on the daycare idea. I will have to think about what I can do that is similar since I homeschool and don't need daycare. Maybe in the summer when my gas is cheaper I should put the remainder into gift cards. Hmmm...Thanx!

I homeschool, too, and I just bought a bike for myself so my DD and I can ride our bikes to library, market, etc. I waste so much gas in this 3 mile triangle that we live in with running errands, going to park or library, etc., so I am going to take the money I would be spending on gas and sticking it in the Disney jar when we ride our bikes instead of using the car. Not only will we save money, but we will reduce our carbon footprint and our behinds! I'm also thinking I may save time in riding our bikes; traffic is so congested around here and the bike lanes are wide open with great shortcuts.

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Mom View Post
I homeschool, too, and I just bought a bike for myself so my DD and I can ride our bikes to library, market, etc. I waste so much gas in this 3 mile triangle that we live in with running errands, going to park or library, etc., so I am going to take the money I would be spending on gas and sticking it in the Disney jar when we ride our bikes instead of using the car. Not only will we save money, but we will reduce our carbon footprint and our behinds! I'm also thinking I may save time in riding our bikes; traffic is so congested around here and the bike lanes are wide open with great shortcuts.
Great idea! It will probably save you money too b/c you can't carry much on a bike! Can't go spending money if ya can't carry it home!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
drdisney
Mysterious when it comes to shopping

The way my wife and I save up money for our Disney trips is from a tip I learned on these boards about 5 years ago. It was at that time that I learned about Mystery Shopping and demo companies that work for the grocery stores. I have feel in love with Mystery Shopping at typically do around 10 visits a week. Most of the time, the jobs don't pay that much, but they do cover me and my wife for our dining out, as well as grocery visits. The money that I would of spent for groceries or going out to eat I then put into my Paypal account to save up for our trip.

Dr D
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
noahdove
DIS Veteran

What is Mystery Shopping? Am I missing something??? Thank you
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #23
Fantasmic23
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

We do the change jar method, too. Actually, my husband bought me a Disney bank in the shape of Cinderella's Castle (with Mickey and the gang standing in front of it) during a WDW trip in 2008 and that is our change jar. At the end of the week, we take all of the change from our wallets, pockets, under the couch cushions, under the seats of the cars, etc. and drop it in the bank.

Our state (Connecticut) offers money redemption for recyclables (soda cans, bottles, etc.) and that really adds to the Disney bank. Once a month, I haul our bottles and cans to the redemption center at our local grocery store.

I sometimes will do online surveys, which are admittedly tedious and boring. I've had success with Quickrewards.net, as you can elect to be paid in Disney gift cards (denominations of $25 or $50).

I also have a store on Zazzle.com, where I sell tee-shirts. I only make about $25 - $50 a year with my store, but any extra money for Disney helps!

We try to limit our dining out to once or twice a month. This is a continual struggle, especially on Friday nights when we all seem to be craving pizza.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
drdisney
Mysterious when it comes to shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
What is Mystery Shopping? Am I missing something??? Thank you

Noahdove,

Mystery Shopping is going around and evaluating different types of establishments, all doing it undercover without the employee's knowing. After you go to the location, you go back home and enter your data on what you didn't or did see. Most of the times, the reports are yes or you questions with just a few narratives needed. The fee will depend on the client, but can vary from $10 to $40 plus reimbursements of the goods. Payment is usually done the month following your visit and is almost always done with either Paypal or a direct deposit to your checking account. One of the great things about doing shops is that most of the time you can do them on your free time which is a huge plus for me since I have a full time job. There are a few well known companies (Market Force, Confero, Corporate Research International and Trendsource) just to name a few. If you want to know more about doing MS feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

Dr D
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisney View Post
The way my wife and I save up money for our Disney trips is from a tip I learned on these boards about 5 years ago. It was at that time that I learned about Mystery Shopping and demo companies that work for the grocery stores. I have feel in love with Mystery Shopping at typically do around 10 visits a week. Most of the time, the jobs don't pay that much, but they do cover me and my wife for our dining out, as well as grocery visits. The money that I would of spent for groceries or going out to eat I then put into my Paypal account to save up for our trip.
Dr D
Ooh, I used to get Mystery Shopped all the time when I managed a Burger King during and just after high school! I have thought about looking into it, so I may just have to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
We do the change jar method, too. Actually, my husband bought me a Disney bank in the shape of Cinderella's Castle (with Mickey and the gang standing in front of it) during a WDW trip in 2008 and that is our change jar. At the end of the week, we take all of the change from our wallets, pockets, under the couch cushions, under the seats of the cars, etc. and drop it in the bank.

Our state (Connecticut) offers money redemption for recyclables (soda cans, bottles, etc.) and that really adds to the Disney bank. Once a month, I haul our bottles and cans to the redemption center at our local grocery store.

I sometimes will do online surveys, which are admittedly tedious and boring. I've had success with Quickrewards.net, as you can elect to be paid in Disney gift cards (denominations of $25 or $50).

I also have a store on Zazzle.com, where I sell tee-shirts. I only make about $25 - $50 a year with my store, but any extra money for Disney helps!

We try to limit our dining out to once or twice a month. This is a continual struggle, especially on Friday nights when we all seem to be craving pizza.
I've tried the surveys before and wanted to cry I was so bored. Maybe I will look into the site you listed! Thanx for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisney View Post
Noahdove,

Mystery Shopping is going around and evaluating different types of establishments, all doing it undercover without the employee's knowing. After you go to the location, you go back home and enter your data on what you didn't or did see. Most of the times, the reports are yes or you questions with just a few narratives needed. The fee will depend on the client, but can vary from $10 to $40 plus reimbursements of the goods. Payment is usually done the month following your visit and is almost always done with either Paypal or a direct deposit to your checking account. One of the great things about doing shops is that most of the time you can do them on your free time which is a huge plus for me since I have a full time job. There are a few well known companies (Market Force, Confero, Corporate Research International and Trendsource) just to name a few. If you want to know more about doing MS feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

Dr D
I know I responded to you above, but wanted to also say thanx for the info, I am totally going to look into it!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

If we have a big trip coming up we typically cut out off "fun" things about 2 months before-- no dining out, no movies, no expensive purchases!

I love some of the ideas on here!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

We put away $100 per month by buying Disney gift cards. DH and I each do $50 and we use the gift card website. They have a huge selection so we find ones we think the other would like. You can also personalize them and use your own pictures. So this month I used a picture of our house since we celebrated the 1st anniversary of buying our first home. It serves two purposes: money saving for the trip and everytime we get a card it gets us that much more excited for our trip!

For my birthday one of my gifts was an extra GC above the $100 we got that month. When DH's birthday comes in Aug. I'm going to get him Lego store GC since he collects Legos and we always stop at the one in DTD when we're there.

And we have a change jar.
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
SoontobMrsZ
Earning My Ears

This is a great post..I'm trying to save money for a disney trip but its become too hard to go from having two working people to one..Me being a stay at home mommy we've had to juggle everything!! Fun stuff when all i wanna do is go to Disney and have fun with my family!!
April 2003-Senior Trip-ASSp
June 2005-CBR
Jan 2007-POP
Jan 2009-Pop
Sept 2009-ASSp

May 2011- Stayed with Family in Kissimmee..Was pregnant with my DS
SoontobMrsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I love this thread! Finally people who don't look down their nose at couponers! I too use coupons alot, and do not buy processed unhealthy foods with them. We also have money come right off our pays for vacation fund, any extra cash at x-mas, b-days, income tax, vacation pay all goes to Disney!

My youngest is finished preschool this June and I like that idea of still putting that money away as we are already used to not having it...nice!! Keep the great ideas coming!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
goofystitchfan
SSR Owners

This is a great question... and I read some wonderful things.
What I do, since I am in charge of planning all vacations and payments, here's what I do
* I work a few hours a week at one of DS's school, and that check goes right into the vacation fund
* any and all rebates that come back in cash goes into the fund
* both me and DH do focus groups, again into the fund
* yard sale money that I make goes in
* I love to shop and we have many famous named outlet's near us where I get FANTASTIC deals on things. I sell them on ebay and that goes into the fund
* have the Disney visa and charge all I can (pay off immediately as if I paid cash) and upgraded to the Premeir card to double points
* Purchased DVC and we do almost all our cooking etc in the condo

* PS I am a contest junkie... and win a lot of prizes both cash and stuff, sell the stuff I can't use/don't want and you know what gets done with cash

Last edited by goofystitchfan; 04-25-2012 at 03:40 PM.
goofystitchfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: