Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
iloveflounder
i am kind of a disney fan

Do we TIP tourGuides on 1 Day Tour?

Hello. I wonder if Tips are required on the one day tour like the longer ones?

I am going to Disneyland in June and just preparing my budget. I was not able to do it the last time because of some transportation issues. So now I will finally do it.

CARSLAND YEBA!
iloveflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
jacksparrowfan
Mouseketeer

Hi! Yes, we did last month. It's just a one-day tour, but they are doing alot of the same taking care of making sure things happen and taking care of the guests. It's a wonderful tour! And the Guides are perfect!

October 20, 2009 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you Guides Michael & Jaime for making another great magical tour!

Summer 2011 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you, again, to our Guides & Friends Michael & Jaime - nothing but magic!
jacksparrowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

can I ask what the average tip per guide would be for the one day ABD....we've never done something like this before....

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey&JoshNut View Post
can I ask what the average tip per guide would be for the one day ABD....we've never done something like this before....
Well, below is the suggested per-day tip for the 6-day Southern California ABD. They're doing pretty much the same amount of work on a one-day as on a single day of a multi-day tour (except checking you in or out of a hotel) so I think a similar amount would apply. I've always given them more than the recommended amount. They *so* earn it!

Quote:
Adventure Guide Gratuities: Gratuities for your Adventures Guides are not included. If you feel that your Adventure Guides have provided excellent service, we suggest the following discretionary gratuity: Per Guest/Per Adventure guide/Per Day: $6 -$9 USD.
Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 04-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Well, below is the suggested per-day tip for the 6-day Southern California ABD. They're doing pretty much the same amount of work on a one-day as on a single day of a multi-day tour (except checking you in or out of a hotel) so I think a similar amount would apply. I've always given them more than the recommended amount. They *so* earn it!

Sayhello
Thank you soooo much for this information....I am so excited to take our tour.

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Sayhello
Doing a slight hijack of this thread:
  • How do you tip? I'm guessing cash in an envelope
  • When do you tip? I'm guessing at the farewell dinner?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Doing a slight hijack of this thread:
  • How do you tip? I'm guessing cash in an envelope
  • When do you tip? I'm guessing at the farewell dinner?
I assume you're asking about a "regular" ABD, because I haven't done this one day yet.

Yes, you tip cash in an envelope. I *think* (if I remember correctly) you get envelopes with the itinerary they give you the first day. The reason I don't remember is that I bring actual Thank You cards with me, and put the tip in that. Obviously, in the US, you tip US dollars. If you were doing a foreign trip, you'd tip either in US dollars, or the local currency.

And again, yes, most people tip at the farewell dinner. The next morning is usually fairly chaotic, plus you might not see both Guides.

Sayhello
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Thanks Tobi - very helpful.

Val & I will be on the BSM trip this summer which I believe has two guides. So if I decided to go a bit high on the per deim it would come out

$10 (day) x 6 (days) x 2 (people) x 2 (guides) = $240.

Right?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Thanks Tobi - very helpful.

Val & I will be on the BSM trip this summer which I believe has two guides. So if I decided to go a bit high on the per deim it would come out

$10 (day) x 6 (days) x 2 (people) x 2 (guides) = $240.

Right?
Yes. Backstage Magic has two Guides (most ABD's do). So you've got it right!

Sayhello
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Had not heard about the "one day ABD", is this only at Disneyland?

On tipping, we often bring note cards with photos of our home area on them (not hard to find in New England!) and write a personal note and put the cash in those. Most ABD guides are pretty well traveled but I now the guides and housekeepers on our Africa trip appreciated seeing animals and vistas as so different from their own ( as well as the cash )

One note, just in case someone is lurking, or researcing later and gets confused...on an ABD, there is no need or expectation to tip your local destination guides, housekeeping, or waiters all those tips are covered by ABD, so you only tip your Adventure Guides! But it's a fairly hefty sum for a family of 4 or more over a 7-10 trip, so plan your cash carefully. On our last ABD, we were driving around looking for ATM machines for some families!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
iloveflounder
i am kind of a disney fan

Thanks for the suggestions.
iloveflounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: