Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #121
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15,380
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
We are going from November 29th - December 2nd... To celebrate my birthday and also my first visit ever to Disneyland! I am so so excited! We are WDW vets, but I can't even tell you how excited I am to visit Disneyland! Especially when it's decorated for the holidays! Beyond excited for IASW and HM overlay!

The only part I'm a little nervous on are the crowds on Saturday the 1st... I read that the Candlelight Processional will be that night, so I'm hoping things aren't too swamped. We don't plan on watching the Processional, so my hope is that so many people are watching and ride lines will die a bit, haha.

So far, we are planning on doing the Holiday Time Tour, dinner at Blue Bayou, and the World of Color dining package. We are also planning on picking up Premier Annual Passes, so I'm definitely going to enjoy the discounts from that on this trip.

My 2011 holiday trip began on the second day/night (Sunday) of the Candlelight Processional. I've been to DLR at all sorts of times during the holiday season over the years but this was my first time being there over a CP weekend - even just for one day of the CP.

One of my Facebook friends - who was at DLR the day prior to my arrival, on CP Day 1 - told me that the crowds on CP Saturday were absolutely awful.

In my limited experience, what I observed on Sunday is that the crowds were not that bad (not what I expected, anyway) until about mid-to-late afternoon. That's when not only the lines for the rides got long, but also the crowds were packed in along Main Street as they tried to walk one direction or another, and so on. The earlier part of Sunday was fine.

I did notice that there were a lot of people at my hotel on CP Sunday, though.

The Candlelight Processional is not all that easy to view - it's not as accessible as it is at WDW - so a lot of people don't bother with it, and they see it as a chance to get on rides. It is now seen as more of an exclusive event, even though I suppose you could stand around and try to find a viewing spot. It's not even widely publicized by Disney. So I don't think the lines for rides will be short - it is a weekend, after all!

But, I can say that the Monday immediately after the CP was delightful! DCA emptied out. My hotel emptied out. Even Main Street was not crowded, compared to what it usually is.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #122
Sacha_L
Mouseketeer
 
Sacha_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 411

[QUOTE="Escape2Disney"]

It sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned! You are right - with the dining vouchers, you'll have to pay the difference if your meal costs more than the value printed on the voucher. I'd suggest adding Carnation Cafe to your list of TS restaurants. The meals are reasonably priced, so you shouldn't go over. If you are looking for something fancier, you might want to try Carthay Theater.

For Counter service, it really depends on your taste. We like Pacific Wharf Cafe and are planning to try the mediterranian restaurant at the back of DCA (can't remember the name right now).



I don't mind paying the difference . I was thinking of taking a few of our CS $15 vouchers and using them towards cheaper TS restaurants. Has anyone ever done that?
__________________
Sacha_L is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #123
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
My 2011 holiday trip began on the second day/night (Sunday) of the Candlelight Processional. I've been to DLR at all sorts of times during the holiday season over the years but this was my first time being there over a CP weekend - even just for one day of the CP.

One of my Facebook friends - who was at DLR the day prior to my arrival, on CP Day 1 - told me that the crowds on CP Saturday were absolutely awful.

In my limited experience, what I observed on Sunday is that the crowds were not that bad (not what I expected, anyway) until about mid-to-late afternoon. That's when not only the lines for the rides got long, but also the crowds were packed in along Main Street as they tried to walk one direction or another, and so on. The earlier part of Sunday was fine.

I did notice that there were a lot of people at my hotel on CP Sunday, though.

The Candlelight Processional is not all that easy to view - it's not as accessible as it is at WDW - so a lot of people don't bother with it, and they see it as a chance to get on rides. It is now seen as more of an exclusive event, even though I suppose you could stand around and try to find a viewing spot. It's not even widely publicized by Disney. So I don't think the lines for rides will be short - it is a weekend, after all!

But, I can say that the Monday immediately after the CP was delightful! DCA emptied out. My hotel emptied out. Even Main Street was not crowded, compared to what it usually is.
Yikes! Good to know. I think our plan for Saturday the 2nd, as it's our last day in the parks, is probably to spend the morning/early afternoon at Disneyland, then spend the afternoon/evening at CA Adventure, as we're planning on doing the WOC dinner package.

We will be in the parks part of Thursday (our flight arrive around 1:15ish) and then all day Friday, and hopefully between those two days we can get a lot done in both parks so that Saturday, even with crazy crowds later in the day, isn't too bad for us since our plans will be a bit more laidback.

We are hoping to do the Holiday Time Tour on Friday, so hopefully we'll see the Christmas Parade with great seats.
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #124
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
 
Escape2Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,632

I just added the first MEET! It's at Gibson Girl on 12/10.

Let me know if you want to join! Also, let me know if you have any other meet suggestions.
__________________
Escape2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #125
tcufrog
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 508

We'll be there for our first trip December 2-6. We'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Epcot country pavilions decorated for Christmas. Some of my fondest memories are of travelling to other countries with my family for Thanksgiving. It was very cheap since most Americans were travelling to visit their families in the US and it was an off season for Europeans.

I'm having trouble deciding whether to make special plans for seeing the evening shows. I really want to see them but I'm afraid the kids ( 1 1/2 and 5 1/2) will be too exhausted.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #126
MamaChelle
Hakuna Matata
 
MamaChelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 173

November 28 - December 7 !!!
Our yearly Disneyland Trip
Staying at Desert Inn and Suites!!!
__________________
Michelle
________________________________
DH- DS(8yrs)- DD(3)- DS(18months)-
________________________________
Disneyland 1990, 1998,
2010(Ramada Maingate at the Park), 2011(Del Sol Inn), 2012(Desert Inn & Suites), 2013 (Ramada Maingate/Desert Inn & Suites), Currently planning our Disney 2014 Trip!
________________________________
url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/][/url]
MamaChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #127
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
 
Escape2Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcufrog View Post
We'll be there for our first trip December 2-6. We'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Epcot country pavilions decorated for Christmas. Some of my fondest memories are of travelling to other countries with my family for Thanksgiving. It was very cheap since most Americans were travelling to visit their families in the US and it was an off season for Europeans.

I'm having trouble deciding whether to make special plans for seeing the evening shows. I really want to see them but I'm afraid the kids ( 1 1/2 and 5 1/2) will be too exhausted.
This is in WDW, right? We're all going to be on the other coast. It sounds like a fantastic trip though! I've always wanted to see Epcot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChelle View Post
November 28 - December 7 !!!
Our yearly Disneyland Trip
Staying at Desert Inn and Suites!!!
Woo Hoo!! That's a nice long trip! Do you plan to go to the Candlelight Processional? You're leaving the night we arrive. Hope you have a wonderful time!!
__________________
Escape2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #128
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChelle View Post
November 28 - December 7 !!!
Our yearly Disneyland Trip
Staying at Desert Inn and Suites!!!
We'll be at the Desert Inn as well from the 29th-2nd, haha.
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #129
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
CajunMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Army sends us!
Posts: 2,721

We will be taking our first DL trip 12/19-12/24 staying at the DLH. We are WDW vets, and I'm so excited to be planning this trip!

DH, DS11, and DS10 (with autism) are not as into the planning as I am, but they are just as excited about this new adventure!
__________________
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #130
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran
 
Crazy4Disney06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oregon 3134.60 miles from WDW
Posts: 2,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post
We will be taking our first DL trip 12/19-12/24 staying at the DLH. We are WDW vets, and I'm so excited to be planning this trip!

DH, DS11, and DS10 (with autism) are not as into the planning as I am, but they are just as excited about this new adventure!
We will be there at a similar time! 12/16 to 12/22! We are staying at the Villas at Grand Californian.
__________________
Me (34), Dh (35), Ds (12) Ds2: (3)
Past Disney Vacations:
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/11/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #131
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
 
Escape2Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post
We will be taking our first DL trip 12/19-12/24 staying at the DLH. We are WDW vets, and I'm so excited to be planning this trip!

DH, DS11, and DS10 (with autism) are not as into the planning as I am, but they are just as excited about this new adventure!
Nice! I hope you enjoy your visit to the West Coast Parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Disney06 View Post
We will be there at a similar time! 12/16 to 12/22! We are staying at the Villas at Grand Californian.
How fun! I hear the Villas are beautiful!
__________________
Escape2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #132
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
CajunMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Army sends us!
Posts: 2,721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Disney06 View Post
We will be there at a similar time! 12/16 to 12/22! We are staying at the Villas at Grand Californian.
That sounds great! We stayed at the BW Villas a few years ago and loved all the space. Maybe we will pass in the parks!
__________________
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #133
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse
 
StyledSugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 336

We are going December 24-January 1 and are staying at the PPH. Can't wait!!!
__________________



DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas/New Years 2012-2013, February 2015

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 16 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #134
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
 
Escape2Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyledSugar View Post
We are going December 24-January 1 and are staying at the PPH. Can't wait!!!
YAY! One day I'll spend Christmas Day at DLR. I think I need to work up to it though since the it's more crowded than I'm used to. Have a great time!
__________________
Escape2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #135
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess
 
Goofy_Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 2,540

Just booked the HOJO for the 14-17 of December for my DD11 (turning 12) birthday trip. We got the family saver rate for the room (a Delux double queen). This may be our last trip with our AP's since they expire the 6th of Janurary. We may squeeze out one last trip, we'll see. Not sure if we're going to re-new.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Goofy_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.